• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DE_BTTF_power_supp_J6_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Okay,

The game was having an issue where it would boot okay some times, and sometimes only the gi would come on. So I shotgun replaced the connectors on the PS board with trifurcon pins and connectors. When on my last connector (CN6) I was working to fast and accidently messed up the order of the wires. The four grey wires that are in the connector I accidently spaced down one extra space. Is supposed to be

empty hole
Grey - 5V
Grey - 5V
Grey - 5v
Grey/white - 12v
empty hole

What I put it as is
empty hole
empty hole
grey - 5v
grey - 5v
grey - 12v
grey white - 0

So I sent 12v to one of my 5 volt lines on the cpu. As soon as I turned the machine one, I heard a little pop noise (which I knew was bad) so I turned it off right away. The smell of burnt entered my nose and I knew I had screwed up. I relooked over my wiring and saw what I did and fixed it.

So now the MPU wont boot. The PIA and 5v line stay on constant. I do have the initial "Back to the future" sound line that plays when you power the machine up. I don't know this boot well enough to really even know where to start looking. I pulled the board and saw the 3 5v lines connect to a little round mini coil looking thing and a glass diode. Diode measures within spec so I didn't blow it.

#2 8 years ago

I dont know this system but check the manual /schematic and see what is in line first where u had it miswired and more likely thats what is fried? Wldnt a fuse pop first tho?

#3 8 years ago

If I interpreter this correct, there was full short between 5V and 12Vunr on the powersupply.
Because of the 3 GREY wires are connected to each other on the J17 of the CPU-board, it made a connection between those 2 supplies on J6 of the powersupplyboard.
The 12Volt was wired into what should be the 'key' so that couldn't damage a thing.

If the 5 Volt collapsed and 12V stayed alive, you might have a big problem on the CPU-board.
For now, visual inspect PowerSupplyBoard and check those 2 voltages.

DE_BTTF_power_supp_J6_(resized).jpgDE_BTTF_power_supp_J6_(resized).jpg

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Wldnt a fuse pop first tho?

Not usually, first the components will fry and then if the current rises past the fuse rating it will then blow. Fuses are rated for what circuits they are intended to protect.

Sorry OP, I feel for you. Good luck with this one. I hope you are very lucky and only the part(s) you heard and smelled are what is needed.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

If I interpreter this correct, there was full short between 5V and 12Vunr on the powersupply.
Because of the 3 GREY wires are connected to each other on the J17 of the CPU-board, it made a connection between those 2 supplies on J6 of the powersupplyboard.
The 12Volt was wired into what should be the 'key' so that couldn't damage a thing.
If the 5 Volt collapsed and 12V stayed alive, you might have a big problem on the CPU-board.
For now, visual inspect PowerSupplyBoard and check those 2 voltages.

DE_BTTF_power_supp_J6_(resized).jpg

You understood this perfectly and the illustration is spot on what I did. The power supply board is fine. Its putting out the proper voltages now after I fixed the wiring mistake. the MPU is now getting a solid 5v from the PS board, so I know the problem lies within the MPU board.

I have a DE simpsons which has the same MPU I believe, I guess I could pull that board and put them next to each other and start measuring components one by one.

#6 8 years ago

Going through the schematic, I think I blew d23. It's giving me reading in both directions, which it should only read in one direction cause it's a diode.

Going to replace it then go from there.

#7 8 years ago

This is officially fixed. I pulled the diode and it measured fine out of circuit so I put it back in. I started looking around the board, as the schematic does show it jumpers off to to much.

I was inspecting IC's when I came to the ram IC and noticed that lettering in the middle of the was brown while all the rest of the lettering on it was nice and white. It was a fresh NVram I had just tossed in the game too. I pulled it and set it aside and put the stock one back in. Game fired right up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-killed-my-bttf-stupid-me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.