Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DiggerPSU
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Installed this for my brother in his brand new Star Trek Pro, is a Stern shaker motor from the Game Room Guys.

Everything installed beautifully, I zip tied all the molex connectors at the front of the cab out of the way so they weren't resting on the plastic housing. Despite all that, once the game get's going, every time the shaker motor fires, you here a plastic buzzing sound. I've checked the plastic housing, and it is firmly seated on the shaker motor with the two provided screws. There is absolutely no play in the housing. At this point, all I can figure is the shaker arms are somehow buzzing against the plastic housing.

Is this a normal problem when installing these Stern motors?

#2 10 years ago

Definitely not normal, I installed a shaker in my Star Trek Prem, should be exactly the same, and I have no buzzing at all.

I would try it without the plastic shield in place. It's just there in case something flies off, but you should be fine to leave it off for brief testing. Will at least tell you if that's the source of the noise or not.

#3 10 years ago

Make sure you have beer seal on the lockdown bar.

#4 10 years ago

Aurich that's exactly my next troubleshooting step, but won't get another try till the weekend.

#5 10 years ago

First thing to check is the long screw that goes parallel to and above the shaker motor. This may need to be tightened, but only tighten it to the point that the vibe noise goes away. This secures the motor firmly in the bracket.

#6 10 years ago

Excellent thing to check caker137, thank you. Will check that as well.

#7 10 years ago

Isn't some cables touching the shaker ?

#8 10 years ago

Fabiofpc, I zip tied them out of the way. There was absolutely nothing touching the plastic enclosure.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

First thing to check is the long screw that goes parallel to and above the shaker motor. This may need to be tightened, but only tighten it to the point that the vibe noise goes away. This secures the motor firmly in the bracket.

I believe this is only on the PBL Shaker Motor Setup.. But this might be a PBL shaker setup. Thats the only time I have seen this issue.

#10 10 years ago

I believe the shaker I installed in my ST Pro is also louder than it should be. It is rather loud itself, and also causes more audible resonances in the cabinet and backbox than I imagine it should.

Unfortunately, I'm out of luck with the two suggested adjustments I've found, as mine doesn't have a screw across the top of the bracket, and the manufacturer put Loctite on the weight's set screws (so I can't easily rebalance them without breaking that down, which I'd rather not).

I don't have a good reference point though, as the bars where I play other tables tend to be really loud. Would a kind pinsider out there with a good motor be willing to post a quick video of the shaker coil test with the glass on? I looked around, and couldn't find anything quite like that.

#11 10 years ago

You shouldn't be hearing your shaker at all with the glass on. Feel it, not hear it.

#12 10 years ago

Thanks for confirming, Aurich. That's what I suspected, unfortunately.

#13 10 years ago

Tighten the threaded long bolt that goes through the shaker housing. Just go into shaker test and tighten it until the noise goes away. 100% the problem.

#14 10 years ago

Mine doesn't have the threaded bolt, nor is it drilled for one, so that's not an option in my case.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from bammon:

I believe the shaker I installed in my ST Pro is also louder than it should be. It is rather loud itself, and also causes more audible resonances in the cabinet and backbox than I imagine it should.
Unfortunately, I'm out of luck with the two suggested adjustments I've found, as mine doesn't have a screw across the top of the bracket, and the manufacturer put Loctite on the weight's set screws (so I can't easily rebalance them without breaking that down, which I'd rather not).
I don't have a good reference point though, as the bars where I play other tables tend to be really loud. Would a kind pinsider out there with a good motor be willing to post a quick video of the shaker coil test with the glass on? I looked around, and couldn't find anything quite like that.

Why not break the seal and try to re-balance. Succeed or fail you can always put a drop of loctite back on... if you really need to.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Tighten the threaded long bolt that goes through the shaker housing. Just go into shaker test and tighten it until the noise goes away. 100% the problem.

I installed the same shaker, had the same issue, and tightening the bolt was the answer as erak says.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-installed-shaker-on-star-trek-pro-loud-vibrating-noises and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.