Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 50 days ago by snyper2099
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN1650_-_Copy.jpg

#1 3 years ago

I just picked up a Lectronamo, and considering that early SS games from Bally/Gottlieb are fairly common, I didn't think much of it at the time.

But after I started doing some research for reference photos/videos, parts availability, it seemed like there are very few of these floating around. Not even 20 recorded FS listings or verified owners.

Then I started looking at other MPU-100 games, and it seems that most of those titles are also somewhat uncommon.

Just how rare are MPU-100 games? It looks like finding game-specific replacement parts is going to be extremely difficult...

#2 3 years ago

I have a Stars as well as 4 other people that I personally know.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I have a Stars as well as 4 other people that I personally know.

It seems like Stars and Dracula are a bit more common than the other titles. I've seen a small handful of those for sale on occasion. I haven't really seen too much of the others, though.

#4 3 years ago

MPU-100 games aren't all that rare as far as production numbers go. Question is how many are actually left.

Pinball was a production of 1,694
Stars was 5,127

Everything else seems to be in the 2,500 to little over 4,000 range.

I think the replacement parts aren't out there because of the low demand. Game specific parts for a lot of these older titles are difficult to find. Even some MPU-200 games are hard to find game specific parts for. Because the demand for the MPU-200 games are becoming higher, there are a lot more reproduction parts being made for those games now.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

MPU-100 games aren't all that rare as far as production numbers go. Question is how many are actually left.

Exactly. Given the original production numbers, I'm surprised that they aren't popping up left and right like gophers.

#6 3 years ago

I'm in the midst of piecing a Meteor back together and I can tell you the build quality isn't even as good as contemporary Bally games, and those aren't exactly built like tanks.

So the attrition rate on old Sterns is probably even higher.

#7 3 years ago

Classic sterns. People love how they play, because they have a nice peppy feel. they don't feel as clunky as say gottlieb. but the reason they don't feel so clunky is because classic sterns are made like CRAP. light weight materials, not made to last. (Gee sounds just like Gary Stern's new machines!) People like the classic stern feel because the materials are light weight. But that's why classic sterns got scrapped, because they just didn't last. So survival numbers today will probably be lower than say Gottlieb or Williams or Bally.

#8 3 years ago

I've got a Lectronamo and love the gameplay on it, probably the best nudging game I have ever played. I don't notice any difference between these Sterns and Bally/Williams of the same era. I also have a Magic playfield, nice art on that one. Get Lectronamo dialed in, it's a blast, and in my opinion, somewhat rare.DSCN1650 - Copy.JPG

2 years later
#9 50 days ago
Quoted from cfh:

Classic sterns. People love how they play, because they have a nice peppy feel. they don't feel as clunky as say gottlieb. but the reason they don't feel so clunky is because classic sterns are made like CRAP. light weight materials, not made to last. (Gee sounds just like Gary Stern's new machines!) People like the classic stern feel because the materials are light weight. But that's why classic sterns got scrapped, because they just didn't last. So survival numbers today will probably be lower than say Gottlieb or Williams or Bally.

A lot of truth in this post. Reminds me of DMC's Delorean. People love it's iconic style but they were made out of absolute crap parts. Today, both seem to be gaining value because of scarcity.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 24.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 19.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside