Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Betelgeuse
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

No crowds played all day. Going to have to update my wish list. Awesome day.

#2 11 years ago

I need to go there. Been to PHOF, Expo & CP (prolly 50+ times) so PAPA is on the bucket list fo sho.

Got any vid or pics?

#3 11 years ago

Isn't it all weekend?

#4 11 years ago

Pics or video please. What did u see?

#5 11 years ago

Its all weekend, but only if you are playing in tournaments. If you went to play different machines, like myself, its come and go as you please. Just got back myself. Went for 2 days to try everything out. Lots of pins!

#6 11 years ago

Sounds great!

#7 11 years ago

You can still enter if you went tomorrow and Sunday right?

#8 11 years ago

Sorry no pics .busy playing everything under the sun. Acdc ,MM,LOTR,AFM,TOM ,TAF,IM,PoTC,CC,TS, and on and on and on. Note: MB only one and in tournament.

#9 11 years ago

Any pins that surprised you?

#10 11 years ago

Was a Bally / Williams man for the most part till I played ACDC. That gents ghostbusters was there ,kinda cool! Also realized the a pins although great are over rated and over priced. There are great pins at realistic prices out there .

#11 11 years ago

Liked WW, FH,x-men was cool IM nice .didnt care for tron ,avatar .

#12 11 years ago

So many games played hard to account . Banzai run was different . Got to play cactus canyon it was OK.

#13 11 years ago

Thursday was actually more busy tournament wise then any other PAPA I can remember. So far today they had a total of 421 players who are competing.

#14 11 years ago

Screw it im heading out in the AM and checking it out!

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Joshmx19:

Screw it im heading out in the AM and checking it out!

Saturday is last day to qualify! http://papa.org/papa15/schedule.php

#16 11 years ago

Well I ended up going for Saturday and Sunday and I had a blast! I decided to get some tokens and play a few games before I made the decision to compete and I was playing like CRAP so maybe next year on the competing! Still I burned through about $60 in tokens in 2 days and had a lot of fun! I would say everyone needs to do this if you live near it. I am going to practice up and if im not working ill go to Pinburgh but next summer again for sure!

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Joshmx19:

Well I ended up going for Saturday and Sunday and I had a blast! I decided to get some tokens and play a few games before I made the decision to compete and I was playing like CRAP so maybe next year on the competing! Still I burned through about $60 in tokens in 2 days and had a lot of fun! I would say everyone needs to do this if you live near it. I am going to practice up and if im not working ill go to Pinburgh but next summer again for sure!

I thought they were all on free for papa

#18 11 years ago

50 cents for 3 balls on all the games that I played. X-Men was $1.00

#19 11 years ago

AC/DC was .75, and I payed that and played a lot, I think my total on tokens spent was 120.00

I understand I would save more money with Pinburgh, so to save money I'll be going to both next year. Extra hotel, extra trip to Pittsburgh, more pinball? surely that will save money in the long run.

#20 11 years ago

Man, I thought someone said they were free.

Well with a buck a game, I'm curious where their replays are set at. Are they small, medium or large.....IM 3m, 7.2m, 12m? You know? I'm guessing PAPA's got them up there a bit for everyone-getting-to-play's sake.

Or are they all over the board?

#21 11 years ago

I believe this is a charity event,can someone clarify?

#22 11 years ago

I think they were set at the defaults thurs on replays, then as people played them they advanced, sort of like how my NF originally had a 900 mil replay by default, but now its 2.3 bil for a replay, its in the wms menu's for them to advance, I don't know about sterns or DE.

#23 11 years ago

If you want to play pinball, nothing beats the PAPA facility. Best selection of games in good working order with basically no wait to play 99%.

Its not a show with events and presenters and no buying and selling of games. Just pure pinball playtime. If you stink like me, bring some friends to stage your own competition.

No entrance fee to play games but most are .25 for EMs,.50 for most SS and DMDs and a few newer Sterns at .75 or 1.00. Those offer 3 credits for $2.00.

Mark your calendars for the twice a year opportunity.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

I think they were set at the defaults thurs on replays, then as people played them they advanced, sort of like how my NF originally had a 900 mil replay by default, but now its 2.3 bil for a replay, its in the wms menu's for them to advance, I don't know about sterns or DE.

Right, I know a replay rises in free play, but from what I've seen in a bar your replay goes up until you finally lose without a replay and it gets set back to default.

I'm just curious. I'd go if it wasn't a 15 hour drive and happily pay for all.

#25 11 years ago

Who owns PAPA? Is it a private collection or ???

#26 11 years ago

http://papa.org/index.php

Lots of info and history right on there site. It used to be held at Broadway arcade in NY city.

#27 11 years ago

Here is a video walkthrough of PAPA 15:

I miss it already.

#28 11 years ago

My memory is fuzzy, but I recall a staff member mentioning at some point that they had sold close to 20,000 rolls of tokens that weekend. That's some serious pinball playing!
    Another thing that's cool is they have some A-listers on free play for the kiddos.

#29 11 years ago

Seems like kind of a waste to only have these available to the public 2 weekends a year.

#30 11 years ago

Wow! Good tour. Pinny paradise! One day hopefully... thanks PinB

#31 11 years ago

nice video. I'm upset you took it without me in it tho. Actually looks like you took this in the morning. I didn't get up till noon each day.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballrus:

Seems like kind of a waste to only have these available to the public 2 weekends a year.

PAPA is Kevin Martin's private collection, not an arcade like Pinball Hall of Fame. How many days a year is your private collection open to the public?

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

PAPA is Kevin Martin's private collection, not an arcade like Pinball Hall of Fame. How many days a year is your private collection open to the public?

No need to get snarky, that is why I was asking who owned it. It doesn't come across as a private collection, seeing as PAPA markets itself as an organization. And if I did have a collection like that, it would be open to the public a lot!

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

I'm thankful that Kevin Martin even opens this building once a year to the general public, let alone two times a year. I don't compete. I just go to buy tokens & experience machines that I would otherwise never have the chance to. It gives me something to look forward to planning my work vacations around, and it makes me appreciate it all that much more when the time comes.

#35 11 years ago

plus, the human society is greatful of Kevins contributions. Have to generate lots of revenue for them as well.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

plus, the human society is greatful of Kevins contributions. Have to generate lots of revenue for them as well.

Hey, I'm part of that society.
    Haven't seen a dime yet.

#37 11 years ago

Right now Kevin can't have PAPA open all the time. He wants to do that, but he can't, due to the town of Carnegie's policies. They require a $50/game/year license fee. It's not affordable when you have 400+ games there. So instead he's open about 7 days a year, and the town pro-rates the license fees. This is the only way Kevin can afford to be open as much as he is.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Right now Kevin can't have PAPA open all the time. He wants to do that, but he can't, due to the town of Carnegie's policies. They require a $50/game/year license fee. It's not affordable when you have 400+ games there. So instead he's open about 7 days a year, and the town pro-rates the license fees. This is the only way Kevin can afford to be open as much as he is.

That makes sense, thanks for the answer. Doesn't seem like a bad idea for the town to cover the fees for more usage, as it would be a great tourist attraction. I do hope to visit one day, and do think it is awesome that such a collection has been amassed / maintained. Especially after the flood, what a depressing sight that must have been!

#39 11 years ago

I really got to plan on making this in the future. Used to do lots of work in Pittsburgh before I came to my ways to recognize this wonderful hobby.

#40 11 years ago

PAPA is a simply amazing place. Forget all the pinball shows, all the museums, all other venues. It's simply the best place for pinball anywhere in the WORLD. Over 400 games under one roof. The only downside is they are weak on EMs. Their EM selection title list is barely OK, but you can tell the guys doing the work there aren't EM type dudes (their EMs don't play especially well.) The Pinball Hall of Fame or PPE is better for EMs, if that's your focus. But for solidstate games, PAPA simply can't be beat. The only downside to the solidstate games is there's sometimes 2 or 3 or even 4 examples of any particular title. That's good for the large crowds that want to play Attack from Mars, but it means there's less space for say more good EM titles.

But the facility itself is top notch. Wide aisles, nice bathrooms, lots of place to sit down. And the play areas are mostly carpet, so it's nice on your feet. Also the building is well lit and properly air conditioned. It's very comfortable. (For example, I have a similar facility with about 1/4 the games of PAPA, but in 1/8 the space! This means my aisles are more narrow, with less places to sit, and I can't afford to air condition like PAPA. It really makes me want to be a millionaire!)

Here's a video I shoot of PAPA 2012:

#41 11 years ago

What is the story behind the owner of the PAPA collection? Is he super-rich and this is what he chooses to spend his money on, or does the PAPA events cover a lot of the costs to operate and maintain the place like PHOF?

#42 11 years ago

If you want to know the story of PAPA, check out pinballninja.com. The under lying story is told there.

#43 11 years ago

LOL, he made his money doing web hosting? You can't do that now with companies like GoDaddy who have taken over the market.

#44 11 years ago

Anyone know what table was used for the division A final match?

Dan

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Anyone know what table was used for the division A final match?
    Dan

http://twitter.com/papapinball

#46 11 years ago

PAPA was amazing I only wish that the volume of the games was higher. I'm sure thats impossible since it would be a cascading wall of noise as more and more people started playing but what a wonderful way to go deaf!

#48 11 years ago

Allegheny County actually has a license fee of $250 per game, not $50. So it would be even more expensive than you think

#49 11 years ago

Keith Elwin selected, High Speed, then Tron, then Corvette for the final match.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Allegheny County actually has a license fee of $250 per game, not $50. So it would be even more expensive than you think

Ok, let's do the math on this...

If PAPA has 400 games and a license fee of $250/yr that's $100,000/year on the games to operate them. But if that fee is pro-rated based on being open 7 days a year, that would come down to about $5 per machine, or a $2000 fee to operate the games. About $286 per day in fees to have the doors open.

I wonder if it's possible for us enthusiasts to lobby for some change to the law allowing "vintage coin-op" places to operate with more practical license fees? Does anybody know if any municipality has changed the law to make older machine license fees more reasonable?

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-home-from-papa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.