(Topic ID: 32108)

Just heard from good source, Avengers ships with finished code:)

By Benepinballs

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

charlie_brown.jpg
    images.jpeg
    TheHomer.jpg
    Cobie_Smulders.jpg
    There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 11 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

Here's a question has shipping games without finished code hurt Stern's sales at all? I don't remember anyone selling games at closeout prices so it must not be hurting them and until it does they will continue on the same way as long as people line up with cash in hand.

Not while they were the only game in town, but now they are not!

#102 11 years ago

Shipping X-MEN without multiball scoring has to be the lowest thing Stern has ever done in a released game.

I'm still looking to buy a LOTR, TSPP for my collection as I enjoy those games.

#103 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Not while they were the only game in town, but now they are not!

Still the only game till Predator or WOZ ships. Both will be soon I hope!!!!

#104 11 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

Here's a question has shipping games without finished code hurt Stern's sales at all? I don't remember anyone selling games at closeout prices so it must not be hurting them and until it does they will continue on the same way as long as people line up with cash in hand.

Well, they still had TFLE's in the factory relatively recently. One could argue that had the game had a better reputation in terms of code and physical QC, those would have been long gone and sold earlier. TF didn't have a Premium, but I also imagine Pro/Premium sales would be brisker on games with a better code reputation. I have to imagine this is why AC/DC is getting the love it is and is selling well. I bought it after the last big code update!

#105 11 years ago

I started a thread in this before and will say it again. Get some top players and some beginners, sign an nda, and let them test the game and provide feedback like a focus group before you ship. It's called product management and marketing. Gets you closer to a bullseye on your customer wants.

#106 11 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

I started a thread in this before and will say it again. Get some top players and some beginners, sign an nda, and let them test the game and provide feedback like a focus group before you ship. It's called product management and marketing. Gets you closer to a bullseye on your customer wants.

The Sharpe brothers are local and are experts that could give great feedback. Good idea.

#107 11 years ago

I'm on a research company list for providing input on new video game surveys, titles, features, etc. same industry so why not?

#108 11 years ago

i am not sure they care...

#109 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Enough with this "just because it isn't good doesn't mean it isn't unfinished"
    Total cop out

totally not a cop out. The development team writes out a list of goals and rules. They then implement those. When they are all implemented, they are "done". The fact that we think the original list of rules sucks does not make the code unfinished. It makes the code suck. They are very different things.

To complete unfinished code, stern would have allocated internal resources to do this. As they plan projects and timelines, they will have a list of goals and allocate time to complete them. Once those goals are completed, the dev team moves onto something else. If those goals have been met but the product sucks, then stern has to reallocate resources to finish it or say that they're not going to.
    Lyman chooses to work on this on his own time. Lonnie doesn't.

It feels like the current dev cycle at stern (like with xmen) overlaps the shipping date. And resources are still allocated onto the project a few months after initial ship. This allows us, the community, an opportunity to make suggestions. Since the team is still working, if the devs like the suggestions, they may implement some of these ideas. They wouldn't need permission to work on the code - they already still are.

In case of being dropped finished code, this would indicate to me that the dev cycle ends on shipping. Those dev resources would move onto another project. If there are community suggestions, stern would have to cease development of the new project and move resources back to the previous project. If those suggestions aren't critical they definitely wouldn't be done.
    It feels like this is what happened on transformers.

#110 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

totally not a cop out.

*SNIP* ...Sorry Mark, I know you looooove to school us on "finished" vs. "unfinished". I don't care. LOL ....it is a cop out. $7000 games should have good and fun rules and polished presentation. End of story.

...and I know you hate when I bring it up, but TF is unfinished as long as it has the "fall off the Starscream ramp/shoot left orbit/doesn't count" bug.

...and as much as AC/DC rocks, "Back in Black" and "Let There Be Rock" have sound bugs. So it's unfinished. ...but the L-Man is gonna blow our friggin' minds w/ more updates so no reason to complain.

#111 11 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

Last time distributors did that was for WOF in Canada.. and oops, that game never got the code update.

I am done with NIB sterns.. i say deliver a great and finished game.. then i will buy it. If LE are all sold out and Pro is not appealing to me or Premium is not available.. then they lost a sale.

I really cant blame Stern though.. they are selling out using this model so why should they change anything?..

#112 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

I really cant blame Stern though.. they are selling out using this model so why should they change anything?..

I don't know, I just spent all day playing AC/DC, TRON, Xmen and TFLE and had a blast!! Will I love some updates, yes. Do I have great pins now. You bet.
    I would not have missed out on any of these games as they have been tons of fun.

#113 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

*SNIP* ...Sorry Mark, I know you looooove to school us on "finished" vs. "unfinished". I don't care. LOL ....it is a cop out. $7000 games should have good and fun rules and polished presentation. End of story.

Who determines what constitutes "fun rules"? So every game that I think has boring or bad rules isn't finished? Comon Greg. There's finished and great, finished and ok or finished and blows =) I will completely agree that unlit inserts or not meeting promised features is undone. Crappy is just crappy though.

#114 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

...and I know you hate when I bring it up, but TF is unfinished as long as it has the "fall off the Starscream ramp/shoot left orbit/doesn't count" bug.

What's this Starscream problem?

#115 11 years ago

Rules schmules, give me a fun layout and some decent sounds/music and I'm good.
    Everything else in the game that eclipses these two criteria (for me), is the extra delicious pinball gravy.

Code can be changed/updated, layout can't*.

*Unless you really, REALLY want to that is...

#116 11 years ago

Layout is definitely important, sure. Probably the MOST important part of pinball. However, the programming, modes, lights and music/sound effects are the "secret sauce" on the pinball Big Mac.

TRON and X-Men have a similar layout and shots. I wanted to love X-Men more than anything because I love the comics and the comic art on the game. I wanted it to force me to sell stuff to get my first NiB.

I played TRON and it had that elusive extra magic that made it FUN.

Bought a TRON 2d from JJ last month.

#117 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

What's this Starscream problem?

If you shoot the Starscream ramp and the ball falls off to the left orbit (due to Starscream kicking it off or just flailing off on its own), and then the ball rolls back to the left flipper ...if you shoot the right orbit after this, it won't count the shot. It's pretty annoying if that shot is lit and you shoot it and nothing happens. Time is tight and modes are long...so that one shot not registering can cause you to blow a mode or if I recall correctly, even a Multiball. There's something about the game's logic that makes that right orbit shot not work if it senses the left ramp entrance but not the return!

#118 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Aren't you the same dude who said Haunted House would be JJP #2?

Quoted from Benepinballs:

Yep haunted house was pure wishful thinking

Ah, that explains a lot. Why do you bother posting? Robin, can we have a Credibility Flag feature for the forum, so I can set it to zero for members like this?

On the bright side, I do have some great pinball news. Transformers will have a wicked cool transforming toy! I saw it in the Stern promo video!!!

#119 11 years ago

Quoted from Rarehero:If you shoot the Starscream ramp and the ball falls off to the left orbit (due to Starscream kicking it off or just flailing off on its own), and then the ball rolls back to the left flipper ...if you shoot the right orbit after this, it won't count the shot. It's pretty annoying if that shot is lit and you shoot it and nothing happens. Time is tight and modes are long...so that one shot not registering can cause you to blow a mode or if I recall correctly, even a Multiball. There's something about the game's logic that makes that right orbit shot not work if it senses the left ramp entrance but not the return!

Thanks Greg. Haven't noticed that yet. I have noticed that I can't win the Starscream extra ball to save my ass. Is this impossible?

Also, is there a reward for finishing super spinner and super pops? Or do you just get the points and a cookie?

#120 11 years ago

Oh StevenP your so credible... How long has your all knowing self been in the hobby.

#121 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If you shoot the Starscream ramp and the ball falls off to the left orbit (due to Starscream kicking it off or just flailing off on its own), and then the ball rolls back to the left flipper ...if you shoot the right orbit after this, it won't count the shot. It's pretty annoying if that shot is lit and you shoot it and nothing happens. Time is tight and modes are long...so that one shot not registering can cause you to blow a mode or if I recall correctly, even a Multiball. There's something about the game's logic that makes that right orbit shot not work if it senses the left ramp entrance but not the return!

Probably because the sequence of switches looks like a left orbit shot, left orbit hit, right orbit hit in that order. So it's got a bug. So do some other games. Big deal. In the several hundred games I played on my TFLE that never bit me once. I consider it a total non issue.

#122 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Probably because the sequence of switches looks like a left orbit shot, left orbit hit, right orbit hit in that order. So it's got a bug. So do some other games. Big deal. In the several hundred games I played on my TFLE that never bit me once. I consider it a total non issue.

It's a bug. If the right orbit is lit, and you shoot it, it should count the shot. I used to work as a game tester. When something in a game doesn't work right & the cause can be repeated and documented, it's a BUG.

#123 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Thanks Greg. Haven't noticed that yet. I have noticed that I can't win the Starscream extra ball to save my ass. Is this impossible?
    Also, is there a reward for finishing super spinner and super pops? Or do you just get the points and a cookie?

Starscream extra ball isn't impossible, just very hard. You can change it from 3 hits to 1 or 2 in the settings. Give yourself a present..make it easier.

Super Spinner & Super Pops just get you points....dats it.

#124 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Super Spinner & Super Pops just get you points....dats it.

That's where a lack of imagination comes in. You should"get" something for that. Special MB where you nail the spinner then a random shot, nail the sinner then another shot, etc. Hit pops, nail OP, repeat. Something like a Gift from the Elves or Ring Frenzy mode. Or at least light EB or Special.

I don't mind the overall code on TFLE. Hats off to Lonnie for the two rules sets and some other interesting twists on traditional rules. But it doesn't have the "extras" that make games like LOTR and MM special. Not many games have this, so no real knock on TFLE or Lonnie...but why not? If you're going to make a special game, don't stop at "good enough".

I also miss jackpot call outs...that's a big omission. A double jackpot callout will remind you you're getting close to SJP, etc. and it justs feels right having a callout there.

Would like an attract mode flipper button reaction too, while I'm spewing.

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-heard-from-good-source-avengers-ships-with-finished-code/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.