(Topic ID: 226965)

Just had a bad experience with a seller from another site.

By tamoore

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by yzfguy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6C5A7265-9FD6-45AB-9096-44EFB08B91F9 (resized).jpeg
    4574622 (resized).jpg
    facebook (resized).jpg
    greed (resized).jpg
    There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 years ago

I've bought and sold 60 games over the past 8 years, and never had this happen.

I saw an ad for a game I fancy on the facebooks.
    I realized it was not far from where a friend of mine lives.
    I asked my friend if he could go pick it up for me if I bought it.
    He said sure, but not until early next week.
    I messaged the seller and told him I'd buy the game if he would accept paypal payment and could hold it until next week.
    He agreed to these terms.
    I then asked for his paypal address so that I could send him the listed price.
    He replied "In your original message to me you said you'd pay $100 more than the listed price".
    I said no, I'll send you amount you listed it for, or you can sell it to someone else.
    He said he had a guy coming to get it later on today, and if that fell through he'd let me know.

So, he was going to sell it out from under the next guy, if he could get $100 more from me.

Seems well more than shady.

I guess this highlights just how good the people in this hobby are, that I could have many deals over the years, and this is the first one that really made me angry with just how underhanded it was.

What's your worst story of an unscrupulous seller?

#2 5 years ago

Go ahead, the Pinside crowd wants to know who it is. I consider MI close enough for me to deal with, so it will be helpful going into a deal if we know the seller might jerk us around. Plus, I'm sure there's another side to the story.

#3 5 years ago

Sorry, man, that sucks!

This is probably a good reminder that despite all the complaining about prices (yes I'm guilty too), dealing with a known Pinsider gives you a hell of a lot more confidence in the purchase/sale. Not perfect, no, and we are all responsible ultimately for saying "yes" to a deal, but it's one of the reasons I don't even mess with Facebook, CL, etc. Too many time wasters

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:Go ahead, the Pinside crowd wants to know who it is. I consider MI close enough for me to deal with, so it will be helpful going into a deal if we know the seller might jerk us around. Plus, I'm sure there's another side to the story.

I'm not totally sure the guy is on Pinside. I've posted my complaint on his for sale thread on Facebook.

#5 5 years ago

Greed has now become a "thing" to approve of, support, and emulate......

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Think you are missing the point of his post...

Quoted from tamoore:

I guess this highlights just how good the people in this hobby are, that I could have many deals over the years, and this is the first one that really made me angry with just how underhanded it was.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I 100% agree. Ive had at least 2 deals go straight in the shitter off craigslist in the past where 1 price is stated then you get there and the same story comes up where another buyers on his way that is unless you wanna come up on your offering price. F that I totally agree with@Rdoyle1978 about staying off facebook and CL it qill just piss you off to deal with these deuschers.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I'm not totally sure the guy is on Pinside. I've posted my complaint on his for sale thread on Facebook.

Your title stated the seller was off Pinside, so I assumed he had an account here and was a member. My bad.

Facebook and CL sellers can really suck. I've been sold out from under as well. It's annoying, but there's always another machine. At least you didn't make a long drive to be told that the machine was sold to someone else...or something like that.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Your title stated the seller was off Pinside, so I assumed he had an account here and was a member. My bad.
    Facebook and CL sellers can really suck. I've been sold out from under as well. It's annoying, but there's always another machine. At least you didn't make a long drive to be told that the machine was sold to someone else...or something like that.

Oh yea. I've had other buyers try to buy out from under me while I was on the way to pickup a game before, but the seller held firm both times that happened.

This guy just lied about what I offered to pay for the game to try to get me to pay more, before telling me someone else was coming to get it.
    It's marked sold now, but the guy has a lot of other machines listed on Facebook.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

So, he was going to sell it out from under the next guy, if he could get $100 more from me.

Yes, but he already sold it out from under you.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I 100% agree. Ive had at least 2 deals go straight in the shitter off craigslist in the past where 1 price is stated then you get there and the same story comes up where another buyers on his way that is unless you wanna come up on your offering price. F that I totally agree with@Rdoyle1978 about staying off facebook and CL it qill just piss you off to deal with these deuschers.

Eh. Sometimes you get a good deal. The rest of the time, it never was a good deal.

You have to shrug it off and wait for the next one, even when the item listed was something you really want. More attempts equals more successes.

#12 5 years ago

I have to say I've always had pretty good luck on Craigslist not sure why maybe it's just the part of the country I'm in or what but if I told someone that I'm coming to get the game they'll hold it for me till I get there with the cash

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

He said he had a guy coming to get it later on today, and if that fell through he'd let me know

That's when your offer is for less!! Cash in hand!!

#14 5 years ago

I do not know what happens when you use PayPal as a seller but cards to charge a fee someone has to pay.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I do not know what happens when you use PayPal as a seller but cards to charge a fee someone has to pay.

Yea. I told him I'd use friends and family. It's no charge to either party, and I could never file a complaint or try to get the money back. No risk or extra cost to the seller at all.

It's as "cash on the glass" as cash on the glass can be, if you have a paypal account.

#16 5 years ago

It's not as if I even care. The entire conversation took 10 minutes. I wasn't out anything. Never sent any money...

I just found his tactic underhanded, and I'm actually glad I didn't formalize a deal with someone who would do something like that.

That's all

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I guess this highlights just how good the people in this hobby are

In the hobby? I would not assume he's "in the hobby" around places like FB and CL. Sounds like the only hobby he likes is flipping for max $ even going back on own word. More likely retail flipper rather than in the hobby.

#18 5 years ago

I sold an item on Ebay and 1 month later the guy wanted his money back.

He said was out of the country and could not inspect the item sooner than that. Said item did not match description even though there were 12 close up pictures of all sides of item that showed all defects

So of course Ebay had me refund his $$. I since no longer sell on Ebay.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I guess this highlights just how good the people in this hobby are

I think that's a little harsh. I think most people in this hobby, even if they are not pinsiders, aren't always out to get you. I think I would have just waited to see if the other guy came thru and then went from there. Or maybe have your friend go buy it and then pay him back. (that's if he has the $$)

There is always other games and, unfortunately not everyone uses pinside to sell their games so sometimes you have to use other sites to find what you want.

Just the way it goes sometimes, keep looking you'll find the game you want. Might even get it at a better price

#20 5 years ago

He probably didn't really want PayPal. Cash usually wins.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I think that's a little harsh.

It wasn't intended as harsh. I thought I was clear....

It was intended as "ALMOST EVERYONE IN THIS HOBBY IS AWESOME. IN 8 YEARS, ONE DICKHEAD!"

See?

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

In the hobby? I would not assume he's "in the hobby" around places like FB and CL. Sounds like the only hobby he likes is flipping for max $ even going back on own word. More likely retail flipper rather than in the hobby.

I've bought and sold on Facebook and CL. I'm balls deep in this hobby. I've also seen plenty of other Pinside folks list on Facebook. You can't make a blanket statement that if you post on FB and CL, that you're not "in the hobby." Hell, there are plenty of Pinside deals that have gone south. Pinside isnt any much safer than FB or CL. There are plenty of shady people here too.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

He probably didn't really want PayPal. Cash usually wins.

Yea.. He could have told me that, oh, I don't know... maybe when I said "can I send you paypal and pick it up in a week?"

I understand some people don't deal with paypal. That's fine. Tell me that, and I'll be on my way.

The problem was, he tried to extort an extra 100 dollars from me by claiming that's what I had offered, and it wasn't...
    Then he told me someone else was already buying it, meaning he was willing to throw that guy under the bus, if I would give him 100 more dollars.

This all happened in less than 10 minutes.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

It's no charge to either party

You as the buyer would be paying the fee using friends & family. Paypal ain't doing this for nothing..

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

You as the buyer would be paying the fee using friends & family. Paypal ain't doing this for nothing..

They actually do it for nothing. Have you actually ever used paypal?

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

It wasn't intended as harsh. I thought I was clear....
    It was intended as "ALMOST EVERYONE IN THIS HOBBY IS AWESOME. IN 8 YEARS, ONE DICKHEAD!"
    See?

Sorry I took it the other way my apologies.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

They actually do it for nothing. Have you actually ever used paypal?

Yes, plenty..

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Then please update your title by editing your fist post. I don't like seeing Pinside misrepresented.

#29 5 years ago

Friends and family is free. I send you 500 dollars, it costs neither of us anything when the funds are being pulled from a paypal balance, or a bank. I don't think that applies when you use a credit card that is tied to your paypal.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Then please update your title by editing your fist post. I don't like seeing Pinside misrepresented.

Off pinside is accurate. Not on pinside, off pinside.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

What's your worst story of an unscrupulous seller?

One dude had pretty bad BO.

#32 5 years ago

Hey is it possible the seller confused you with another person that did offer $100 more?? He might have gotten more responses to the ad than just you?

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Hey is it possible the seller confused you with another person that did offer $100 more?? He might have gotten more responses to the ad than just you?

That is possible, but normally not a problem for people who understand how Facebook works.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

people who understand how Facebook works.

I am not one of those people. Don't even have a Facebook page and never gonna get one.

Sorry you had a bad experience, though. Get all excited about getting an new game.... and then nothing. That sucks

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Friends and family is free. I send you 500 dollars, it costs neither of us anything when the funds are being pulled from a paypal balance, or a bank. I don't think that applies when you use a credit card that is tied to your paypal.

Friends and Family recently started charging me a small fee for transactions. Paypal is starting to lose its luster for me.
    I haven't been burnt yet and have been very trusting of others. However there is a certain level of anxiety I feel when
    purchasing a pin these days out of state.

Fortunately I have pretty much everything I've wanted now and moving on to other aspects of hobby. For me its Cash on Glass.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I am not one of those people. Don't even have a Facebook page and never gonna get one.

This guy has multiple pins for sale on the facebook groups. He knows how it works, I'd suspect. He's been on it for a few years, too.

#37 5 years ago

Lets face it guys, there are a lot of nut balls out there that buy and sell games. CL is loaded with them. Some of these deals are doomed from the start. Just weird people. Some of the games I went to buy that were on DCL I wouldn't even go in the house!

#38 5 years ago

greed (resized).jpggreed (resized).jpg
    #39 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

This guy has multiple pins for sale

What game were you looking at if you don't mind me asking. Maybe someone here has one.

#40 5 years ago

I've had an individual promise to sell me an item. Then never answer the phone to set up a pickup date. Same guy sold a pin he promised to me. Then the following week the same pin was up for sale for 400 more. WTF

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

What game were you looking at if you don't mind me asking. Maybe someone here has one.

This was just a "right place, right time, right condition" deal. It's not really one I was looking for, but thanks for the offer. It is appreciated.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Then the following week the same pin was up for sale for 400 more.

Was it for sale by the same guy you were dealing with?

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Was it for sale by the same guy you were dealing with?

Yes - He is an interesting character. Not sure if he is a pinsider. I've been told he's an odd duck by others

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Exactly!! Tied to a credit card there is a fee

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Off pinside is accurate. Not on pinside, off pinside.

haha...how about mentioning Facebook instead? Quite a few flaky things on there. It would make it easier finding this thread.

#46 5 years ago

PayPal and your agent is picking it up..... I would have ran so so fast......maybe he read vi’s guide...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

PayPal and your agent is picking it up..... I would have ran so so fast......maybe he read vi’s guide...
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

He didn't do what you would have done.
    He tried to get 100 dollars more.

I sold a pin from a contact on Facebook, accepted paypal fees for it, and had the guys agent pick it up. Went fine.
    Vid is really smart. But he doesn't know everything.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I've bought and sold 60 games over the past 8 years, and never had this happen.

You've done a lot better than I have then. I might have bought or sold 20 games over the past 5 years. Most of the time it goes well and I've enjoyed dealing with most people on this site and in the hobby. That said: 1) I've agreed to buy a game and then have the seller cancel because they decided to pursue another deal, wanted to keep the game, didn't want to wait, etc. 2) Agreed to sell a game then have the buyer changer their mind, not have the money, couldn't make the trip, decided it is worth less than they originally agreed, etc. It sucks when either happens, but I've found it isn't that uncommon also occurs with almost anything else that is bought and sold. The more complex the deal (e.g. PayPal payment, friend picking up, further distance, delayed pickup, other buyers interested) the more likely the deal falls apart. Would the world be a better place if everyone stuck by every agreement they made with another over transfer of a game? Probably, but as long as I didn't get ripped off I don't get too bent out of shape by it. I guess I don't understand the point of these threads especially when the other party and even the game involved aren't named.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

Probably, but as long as I didn't get ripped off I don't get too bent out of shape by it. I guess I don't understand the point of these threads especially when the other party and even the game involved aren't named.

Exactly!!

#50 5 years ago

I have yet to buy a game off CL at the advertised price. If the listed price is anywhere near a deal, even when I am the very first caller and offer to come immediately with cash and a truck, some pissed off person comes along and tells the seller that they are selling the game "way too cheap" and offers anywhere from a hundred to $500 more than the asking price. Inevitably, if I want the game, I have to pay the higher price or walk away. Why can't someone be happy that someone else got a decent deal without trying to queer it...but I digress!

Also, the only time a sale is binding in my mind is when the "buyer" has actually paid me, at least a deposit. I have had more people than not promise they will show up that night, the next morning, next month, etc, and then you never hear from them again. Or they show up, piss and moan about some imaginary flaws that don't really exist, and then offer hundreds less than the price they committed to pay over the phone. Cash is king, and bs walks. Until I am paid, my game remains for sale, unless the buyer is personally known to me as a trustworthy person whose word can be trusted.

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-had-a-bad-experience-with-a-seller-off-pinside?hl=michigandad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.