(Topic ID: 226965)

Just had a bad experience with a seller from another site.

By tamoore

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by yzfguy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6C5A7265-9FD6-45AB-9096-44EFB08B91F9 (resized).jpeg
    4574622 (resized).jpg
    facebook (resized).jpg
    greed (resized).jpg

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Friends and Family recently started charging me a small fee for transactions.

Really?

I've only seen fees if you use a credit card--not if you use your paypal funds or funds from a bank account.

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I was compelled to make it even more confusing by someone who didn't understand the common English

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Answered earlier in the thread, but I know, I know, it's a tedious one, this thread....

Oh whoops my bad. If you have time could you throw that in the title just so it's easier for people to know what's going on? Gratis.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I was compelled to make it even more confusing by someone who didn't understand the common English usage of off earlier today....

It's understandable that people can occasionally write in an unintentionally confusing way. I find it borderline bananas that otherwise intelligent people would double down when confronted with pretty solid evidence of this confusion.

Here are some fun examples where the word "off" is used in the opposite way from how you are intending it in the subject:

* Can I take a hit off whatever bong you're smoking?
    * Please tell the class which book you learned your communication skills off of.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh whoops my bad. If you have time could you throw that in the title just so it's easier for people to know what's going on? Gratis.

I just removed it from the thread title, but it is in the OP. But it is way down on the second line of that OP.

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I have a bank account but there is no way in hell I would ever attach it to Paypal. Everything is through my credit card due to the additional buyer protections provided by the CC company. Bank accounts have typically zero protections like this.

You could set up a separate account just for internet related stuff. As long as you adhere to the bank's minimum requirements, it doesn't cost anything.

So if paypal goes haywire for some reason, there's only so much in the way of funds that they can actually touch.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

So yea, my contention is, people who rail about the unsafe nature of Paypal probably are too scared to use it.

I don't think that's the case. It's just good to be informed about how it really works so you know when it's good to use it or not. But people spouting off stuff like F&F is totally safe and like cash-on-the-glass can contribute to others getting burned. You're just misinformed there.

Everything else, you guys have added. Not really sure why other than that's what we do here. Talk about stuff.

Sure, I'll add when I do a cash sale, I will sometimes hold the cash up to light to check for the embedded stripe. If I think someone is shady, I'll take note of their license plate when they come to pick up. But I don't think there's mafia types going around trying to pass off high-quality counterfeit bills on pinball machines: kind of amusing to imagine though.

#108 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I don't think that's the case. It's just good to be informed about how it really works so you know when it's good to use it or not. But people spouting off stuff like F&F family is totally safe and like cash-on-the-glass can contribute to others getting burned. You're just misinformed there..

I'm not misinformed, as I've actually done it. Used it to pay, and accepted it as payment several times. Are you as informed as I am, or am I missing something here?

Tell me how you've used it, and when you've been burnt by it, rather than just being scared of money that isn't printed on paper.

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

It's understandable that people can occasionally write in an unintentionally confusing way. I find it borderline bananas that otherwise intelligent people would double down when confronted with pretty solid evidence of this confusion.
    Here are some fun examples where the word "off" is used in the opposite way from how you are intending it in the subject:
    * Can I take a hit off whatever bong you're smoking?
    * Please tell the class which book you learned your communication skills off of.

Which are both incorrect.

#110 5 years ago

I’ve paid for a few pins using PayPal Friends and Family and taken payment the same way. I’ve never had an issue and have never heard of anyone else having an issue using PayPal Friends and Family.

#111 5 years ago

It never ceases to amaze me how people can argue over anything.

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Yes it does.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I like to argue over nothing, rather than anything......care to argue?

#114 5 years ago

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from slgerber:

I don't know, venting maybe???????????? Release some frustration????

Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm balls deep in this hobby.

People must play pinball differently in Wisconsin. Hilton?

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

It's no charge to either party, and I could never file a complaint or try to get the money back. No risk or extra cost to the seller at all. It's as "cash on the glass" as cash on the glass can be, if you have a paypal account.

Misinformed.

There's plenty of information out there documenting the problems for anyone that wants to inform themselves. Someone already linked Vid's guide for a start.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Yea. I told him I'd use friends and family. It's no charge to either party, and I could never file a complaint or try to get the money back. No risk or extra cost to the seller at all.
    It's as "cash on the glass" as cash on the glass can be, if you have a paypal account.

Except it’s not cash on the glass. Hate to say it, but I don’t blame the seller. Is what it is, someone shows up with cash in hand, I can see why he/she would sell it then and there.

It happens, at least you didn’t get screwed by sending money via PayPal and then having them never get the game to you.

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

You just send them the money back the same way you got it. Via friends and family.
    You can't petition PayPal to help force someone send send a deposit back. They don't intervene at all in those transactions.

Yes! I’m sorry, that’s all I was saying

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Except it’s not cash on the glass. Hate to say it, but I don’t blame the seller. Is what it is, someone shows up with cash in hand, I can see why he/she would sell it then and there.
    It happens, at least you didn’t get screwed by sending money via PayPal and then having them never get the game to you.

I don't Blame a seller not taking PayPal. That isnt even part of the story. He would have gladly taken the payment via PayPal.

And I, as the buyer assume almost all of the risk sending money before I inspect the pin. That's the risk I accept for his willingness to hold the pin.

#120 5 years ago

I had something much worse and worrisome once...and I always try to enlighten pin buds.

Guy comes to my house to buy a game for $2,100 last year. Comes in, checks out the gameroom and other pins per usual...played a game on the one he was slated to buy. There for about 15 min going through the game with him. Hands me a bank envelope with the cash. Immediately and abruptly asks to use the bathroom, which is a slight distance away. Didn't really think anything of it...said he had a long drive in.

He goes, I crack the envelope and start counting the loot. Only $1,700 in there. He comes back, and starts saying there was $2,100 in there when he gave it to me. I tell him there wasn't. He starts to argue about it, saying "I'm playing with him" and he's taking the game because I took the other $400 out. I hand him back the envelope, and tell him he's not taking the game for $1,700.

The Mrs. and my young daughter were home, so I became slightly concerned. He argued for another 20 seconds, then I quickly said "You're in my house dude. I don't really know you. Why would I invite someone I don't know into my house for a transaction for a decent amount of money, and then pull some bullshit like this." He said I took his other $400 out one more time.

At this point, I asked him to leave and said the game wasn't going anywhere. Just thinking to myself if this gets any weirder, I'm going to slap the shit out of this guy, drag him the hell out of my house and then call the authorities. I mean my family's in the friggin house. He sees me getting seriously annoyed, then quickly says "Maybe I left the other money out in the car." I go out with him, and the other $400 was in his center console.

He starts apologizing for the "misunderstanding". So obviously this cat probably pulls this scam all the time, and probably sometimes walks away with a game for less money. Little did he know that I can certainly be an asshole when I want or choose to be, especially when someone is trying to pull some crap like this. I told him to scadaddle, and never to contact me about a game again.

Since that day, I unfortunately feel the need to count the money right in front of people if it's someone I hadn't already transacted with in the past. Sadly, there are some jackasses in this hobby.

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Since that day, I unfortunately feel the need to count the money right in front of people if it's someone I hadn't already transacted with in the past.

I HATE when I hand someone I know $1000 in cash, and they just put it straight in their pocket.

It totally annoys me.

I know I counted it right, but now if it's short tomorrow when their wife does the laundry, they are going think I cheated them.

One guy did it to me twice, so now I count it directly into his hand while he rolls his eyes....

#122 5 years ago

I've had good luck buying on CL. On Facebook I've had people advertise for one price but contact them and they want about $200 more than advertised price. I don't know why they waste everyone's time with stuff like that.

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I unfortunately feel the need to count the money right in front of people

I wouldn't, even if we knew each other.

We are in the same boat and don't want to short either one of us. Mistakes do happen.

LTG : )

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I had something much worse and worrisome once...and I always try to enlighten pin buds.
    Guy comes to my house to buy a game for $2,100 last year. Comes in, checks out the gameroom and other pins per usual...played a game on the one he was slated to buy. There for about 15 min going through the game with him. Hands me a bank envelope with the cash. Immediately and abruptly asks to use the bathroom, which is a slight distance away. Didn't really think anything of it...said he had a long drive in.
    He goes, I crack the envelope and start counting the loot. Only $1,700 in there. He comes back, and starts saying there was $2,100 in there when he gave it to me. I tell him there wasn't. He starts to argue about it, saying "I'm playing with him" and he's taking the game because I took the other $400 out. I hand him back the envelope, and tell him he's not taking the game for $1,700.
    The Mrs. and my young daughter were home, so I became slightly concerned. He argued for another 20 seconds, then I quickly said "You're in my house dude. I don't really know you. Why would I invite someone I don't know into my house for a transaction for a decent amount of money, and then pull some bullshit like this." He said I took his other $400 out one more time.
    At this point, I asked him to leave and said the game wasn't going anywhere. Just thinking to myself if this gets any weirder, I'm going to slap the shit out of this guy, drag him the hell out of my house and then call the authorities. I mean my family's in the friggin house. He sees me getting seriously annoyed, then quickly says "Maybe I left the other money out in the car." I go out with him, and the other $400 was in his center console.
    He starts apologizing for the "misunderstanding". So obviously this cat probably pulls this scam all the time, and probably sometimes walks away with a game for less money. Little did he know that I can certainly be an asshole when I want or choose to be, especially when someone is trying to pull some crap like this. I told him to scadaddle, and never to contact me about a game again.
    Since that day, I unfortunately feel the need to count the money right in front of people if it's someone I hadn't already transacted with in the past. Sadly, there are some jackasses in this hobby.

Wow.

I always do a count in front of the other guy, and if the other guy doesn't also do a count after the cash changes hands, I usually ask them to count it up just to make sure I didn't miscount.

I've never had a problem when going with this approach and have been lucky enough not to have anyone try to pull a fast one like that so far. It's certainly interesting to hear stories like that when they actually do happen as a good word of warning against people like that.

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Misinformed.
    There's plenty of information out there documenting the problems for anyone that wants to inform themselves. Someone already linked Vid's guide for a start.
    Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Anecdotes aren't evidence.

#126 5 years ago

I always count cash when I receive it. I'm amazed at how many people don't count it when I hand it to them.

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I always count cash when I receive it. I'm amazed at how many people don't count it when I hand it to them.

I had a guy hand me an envelope with cash in it. I counted it three times and came up 100 bucks over.... Still not sure if it was a test, or if he really put too much in accidentally, as he really wasn't surprised when I handed a Benjamin back to him. I always ask them to count my envelope, even if they try stuffing it in their pocket, protects both of us.

#128 5 years ago

Sounds like all parties are at fault...just using facebook is criminal for starters..and b) sounds like he confused you with some other guy that looked somewhat like you through the internet tubes--that's going around, and IV. you can't fault a guy for trying to get $100 more....plus, it was only a $100. There you go. Problem solved. You're (or your) welcome.

#129 5 years ago

It's amazing how many people opening admit (even brag) about ripping off PayPal by using F&F for purposes it isn't intended.

It's kind of hypocritical to start a thread to complain about the morality of others when you are essentially stealing from PayPal (repeatedly by the sounds of it).

Maybe the fees would be lower for the legit users if everyone actually paid for the service they use.

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

It's amazing how many people opening admit (even brag) about ripping off PayPal by using F&F for purposes it isn't intended.
    It's kind of hypocritical to start a thread to complain about the morality of others when you are essentially stealing from PayPal (repeatedly by the sounds of it).
    Maybe the fees would be lower for the legit users if everyone actually paid for the service they use.

All pinball people are friends.
    But I'm sure you don't have many..

#131 5 years ago

First we have the price police, now the PayPal police!

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

First we have the price police, now the PayPal police!

That’s next level shit right there. Price policing is so 2014.

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

Yes, tamoore is going to write an apology letter and they will lower their rates immediately for all of us.

#134 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I had something much worse and worrisome once...

I had a KLOV dbag try this with me as well a few years ago with a game purchase. Luckily we met in a public place and I was ready to drive away with the game unless he produced the missing money. Same story - "oh sorry.....thought it was all there" as he sheepishly handed me the missing cash. Had a feeling that wasn't the first time he tried that bs.

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Yes, tamiore is going to write an apology letter and they will lower their rates immediately for all of us.

I'll be your martyr. Would that help???

#136 5 years ago

You're all missing the point.

I couldn't care less about PayPal.

It's just ironic to see someone complain about someone trying to rip them off when they have no problem doing the same thing.

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

It's just ironic to see someone complain about someone trying to rip them off when they have no problem doing the same thing.

Yeah we got it. Haha

#138 5 years ago

I got your point.

#139 5 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

If you think I was complaining about being ripped off, please add comprehension to the list of issues, which should already contain likeability, that you bring to your help counselor this week. Best of luck!

#140 5 years ago

Wow! It just goes on and on.......

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

+1?

#142 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

And again, and again, and again, and again, and again....oh sorry, I was singing The Forest from The Cure in my head.

#144 5 years ago

I just had a bad experience with tacos.

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I just had a bad experience with tacos.

Soft or hard shell? If soft shell aka tortilla, you have to start a separate thread.

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

you can't fault a guy for trying to get $100 more....plus, it was only a $100

Well yes actually. If he wanted $100 more his price should be $100 more not try to play the ends against the middle. If he wanted a "auction" put it on eBay.

OR put "or best offer". At least that way you know what's up and don't feel like someone tried to pull a fast one on you.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Soft or hard shell? If soft shell aka tortilla, you have to start a separate thread.

Whew, then I'm good. They were hardshell made at home. Cool ones that are flat on the bottom so you can set it down and pile on tons of unhealrhy toppings. Come to think of it, that may have been the problem.

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Come to think of it, that may have been the problem.

Nonsense, hard shell tacos are the breakfast of champions.

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

They were hardshell made at home. Cool ones that are flat on the bottom so you can set it down and pile on tons of unhealrhy toppings.

The flat bottomed ones that are made from solid fried cheese are the best - and no GMO corn to worry about ingesting.

4574622 (resized).jpg4574622 (resized).jpg
    #150 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The flat bottomed ones that are made from solid fried cheese are the best - and no GMO corn to worry about ingesting.[quoted image]

OMG, you may have just changed my life.

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-had-a-bad-experience-with-a-seller-off-pinside/page/3?hl=groffdaddy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.