Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Xerico
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    th.jpeg

This topic is closed.

#1 8 years ago

finally ready to get a pin going out to play test some games, I love Gorgar, bs Dracula , looking good quality .any tips on buying ?

#2 8 years ago
    Quoted from Heaton3730:

any tips on buying ?

Yes - Don't use a loan to buy pinball.

Other than that... lots of cool affordable titles to choice from. Throw out there what price range you can afford to buy and what area you live in. Plenty of good pinsiders out there to point you in the right direction. But that's just my 2 cents.

#3 8 years ago

Whatever it is be sure to get a keeper. Still have my first and it will probably be with me til the end if there ever is one. LOL

#4 8 years ago

Don't buy one with a loan, maybe?

#5 8 years ago

The ONLY tip when buying your first pin. Don't ship, BUY IN PERSON WITH CASH.

#6 8 years ago

If you have to borrow money for a pinball machine buy a cheap one in good condition from a trusted Pinsider.

#7 8 years ago

Like others have said:

Only buy your first game IN PERSON.

Don't ever pay interest on toys. If you still have credit card debt, don't even think of buying any crap like a pinball machine until you are paid clear.

Plenty of cheap Gorgars out there, but you've got to be ready to do battle with the 40 pin connector and SCANBE sockets.

#8 8 years ago

One pin won't do your going to need a huge loan. A list only and even then you will be eyeballin the next so best to get a few loans for those extras too like mods and maybe some arcades.Maybe one more loan for a building of some kind to house this massive collection or u could try just one glorious pin Like a Roy Clark the entertainer or somthin else top notch.

#9 8 years ago

MY LOTR LE was shipped and besides a few blemishes here and there, it was mint. Not always an option to buy in person for most. But if you take out a loan to buy a pinball machine THAT IS INSANE!!!!

#10 8 years ago

I have a Gorgar semi-project I might be convinced to sell at a relatively low cost. But listen to everyone here...no loans.

#11 8 years ago

I hate to jump on the "be responsible" bandwagon, but don't use a loan to buy a pinball machine. I guarantee you'll regret it.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

MY LOTR LE was shipped and besides a few blemishes here and there, it was mint.

You got a 1 in a million experience there.

Just look at all the ebay threads here and on RGP to see what NORMALLY happens when somebody buys their first game and has it shipped.

#13 8 years ago

Like others have already said, DON'T borrow money to buy a pinball machine. Save up and then buy one. Until then find machines in the wild and play those, which supports the location and the operator.

#14 8 years ago

Take out a $30 loan and buy some tables in Pinball Arcade. There are a few good early solid state games to be had under $1000 if you save up. Did anyone say not to take out a loan to buy an expensive toy yet?

#15 8 years ago

If you post your location a pinsider may be able to help you out with your first pin.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Heaton3730:

finally ready to get a pin going out to play test some games, I love Gorgar, bs Dracula , looking good quality .any tips on buying ?

Put your location down. Help us help you.

#17 8 years ago

Fact is, it's your money.

Do what makes you happy but then again, some folks "pay in advance" and take a loan out for vacations and such and pay it off around tax time. I do that with my pins knowing they'll be paid off (if not mostly) by around that time anyway.

Other than that, I HIGHLY recommend dealing with Pinsiders as I've had nothing but great experiences here with them. eBay can be a headache unless you're dealing with actually pin resellers (see Little Shop of Games... Curly's a great guy and reputable!) but it's ultimately your crap shoot as it can be a miserable experience there as well.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Take out a $30 loan and buy some tables in Pinball Arcade. There are a few good early solid state games to be had under $1000 if you save up. Did anyone say not to take out a loan to buy an expensive toy yet?

You'll get a great feel for what you want and how the shots are through playing that but nothing adds up to the real thing, of course. Pinball Arcade has in part fueled the younger generation to collect games now.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfanoz:

Do what makes you happy but then again, some folks "pay in advance" and take a loan out for vacations and such and pay it off around tax time. I do that with my pins knowing they'll be paid off (if not mostly) by around that time anyway.
    Other than that, I HIGHLY recommend dealing with Pinsiders as I've had nothing but great experiences here with them. eBay can be a headache unless you're dealing with actually pin resellers (see Little Shop of Games... Curly's a great guy and reputable!) but it's ultimately your crap shoot as it can be a miserable experience there as well.

FACT: When you take a loan it's NOT YOUR MONEY. Sorry guys, but we should all be discouraging taking loans to buy pinball.

#20 8 years ago

well if you are going to get a lump of cash. take it to a local show and see if you can just buy a pin cash in hand. they do have NIB ones sometimes too. that way u know you will be leaving with something nice and know what is expected or just buy a nice used one off the floor. avoid screaming shipping deals as those can leave u empty handed or heartbroken.

best a luck

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfanoz:

If folks do their taxes right in the first place, they shouldn't be getting a huge refund. That may mean something is wrong with their federal and/or state income tax withholding forms.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

FACT: When you take a loan it's NOT YOUR MONEY. Sorry guys, but we should all be discouraging taking loans to buy pinball.

Having full intention of paying it back within a short period of time says different and builds credit, regardless.

Try telling the government it's NOT THEIR money either since they spend ours like crazy.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfanoz:

Having full intention of paying it back within a short period of time says different and builds credit, regardless.

That's how you dig yourself into a hole. Don't spend money you don't have. Especially on frivolous things.

Loans are, however, good for making a large investment in something that will appreciate in value, such as a house, a business, or an education. Invest in yourself and your well being, not big toys.

#24 8 years ago

I don't think he asked for financial advice.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Invest in yourself and your well being, not big toys.

Well said. Already done all that. Time for fun. Regardless, I wish the OP the best in his search. Being a newbie to collecting (not so much playing) can be overwhelming, but choosing the right avenues to find your game (especially here) is your best bet.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from PappyBoyington:

And I don't think we asked for background info on how he got the money he's planning on spending on a pinball machine.

So we all got stuff we didn't ask for.

Since it sounds like he's got some cash flow issues, I'd suggest he go with the gorgar. Should be able to get a decent one pretty cheap.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Most people here don't ask for opinions on their for sale prices either but we like to gently guide them down the correct path.

#28 8 years ago

You guys are being pretty harsh on this guy. I've only bought games using cash but if he wants to use a loan then good for him. We don't even know what the terms of the loan are. I took out a loan on a new car a couple years back which was sub 2.5%. If you have good loan terms than your better off using a loan and investing your cash which will get you a much better return over that period of time.

#29 8 years ago

The OP requested advice on games to purchase. He did not ask for advice on his financial situation.

If you want to provide financial advice, send him a private message.

Otherwise, if you wish to continue participating in this thread, please stay on topic.

Thanks.

Marcus

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfanoz:

if people are taking out a loan to take a vacation, they are not financially smart. If that's the case, just wait until tax return time, save the money and miss one year. Paying interest on something like that, is about equal to paying a fine, or burning the money. Same result. Stupid move regardless. Hell, I think having a loan on a car is a stupid move as well. The less interest you pay in life, the less money you have to make to survive. I bet 25% of a lot of peoples take home goes just to interest. Which you don't even see that money. Just stupid when all you would have to do to avoid it, is not be in a rush. A little self control will gain a lot of $$$ in the long run.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

You guys are being pretty harsh on this guy. I've only bought games using cash but if he wants to use a loan then good for him. We don't even know what the terms of the loan are. I took out a loan on a new car a couple years back which was sub 2.5%. If you have good loan terms than your better off using a loan and investing your cash which will get you a much better return over that period of time.

Investing in what exactly? Pinball machines?

And that loan for a new car was a bad investment from a pure financial perspective no matter what the terms were. That's when you throw out the "you only live once" line though

#32 8 years ago

You guys just got so trolled

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from Heaton3730:

I would not suggest taking out a loan to buy a pin unless it's for the Black Hole that I am selling in the Market Place

#34 8 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out who would loan money for a pinball machine.

th.jpegth.jpeg

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

The OP requested advice on games to purchase. He did not ask for advice on his financial situation.
    If you want to provide financial advice, send him a private message.
    Otherwise, if you wish to continue participating in this thread, please stay on topic.
    Thanks.
    Marcus

Asking someone else on what games to buy, is just as dumb as taking a loan out to buy them with. Both are stupid moves.

#36 8 years ago

I'm gonna co-sign the loan just to see what the peanut gallery says.

#37 8 years ago

I got an home equity loan to redo my basement into a barcade - payed it back. I got a second car - BMW for fun - on an auto loan - payed it back. Went on a California vacation going to wineries and nice dinners all week on my credit card - payed it back. Heck, I charge this all the time for points - and pay it back at the end of the month. Getting a loan for fun things are OK - just make sure you pay it back - on time - and it isn't a big deal.

I bought the Hobbit using my credit card last year - and payed that off. This was technically a loan right?

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Asking someone else on what games to buy, is just as dumb as taking a loan out to buy them with. Both are stupid moves.

He's not wrong.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

Investing in what exactly? Pinball machines?
    And that loan for a new car was a bad investment from a pure financial perspective no matter what the terms were. That's when you throw out the "you only live once" line though

Buying a new car with cash is also a bad investment since cars depreciate. If given the choice between paying cash for a new car or taking a 2.5% loan the loan is the much smarter financial decision since you can invest that cash elsewhere and get a higher return. Same goes for mortgages. Some debt isn't necessarily bad and paying cash isn't always the best way to pay for something.

#40 8 years ago

Does anyone else suspect this is a troll post?

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if people are taking out a loan to take a vacation, they are not financially smart. If that's the case, just wait until tax return time, save the money and miss one year. Paying interest on something like that, is about equal to paying a fine, or burning the money. Same result. Stupid move regardless. Hell, I think having a loan on a car is a stupid move as well. The less interest you pay in life, the less money you have to make to survive. I bet 25% of a lot of peoples take home goes just to interest. Which you don't even see that money. Just stupid when all you would have to do to avoid it, is not be in a rush. A little self control will gain a lot of $$$ in the long run.

Have good credit and the bulk of what you said is moot. I'll gladly use the banks money for 1% interest on a car loan versus taking money out of my cash reserves just so I can say I'm debt free. You and I agree that cash is king, I just like to hold onto mine while using the bank to buy things.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

You guys just got so trolled

My thought as well. We'll see...

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from scottslash:

My thought as well. We'll see...

On second look you are probably right.

#44 8 years ago

Anyone have a car loan? Cars depreciate more than a pinball machine. Likely a lot of hypocrites in this thread.

#45 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#46 8 years ago

I'm closing this thread. If the OP wants to prove that he was not trolling, he can open up a moderator feedback and provide some assurances to the mod team.

Marcus

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-got-my-loan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.