(Topic ID: 103991)

Just got my first pin! (Basement Banzai Run) Where do I start?

By Dalbon

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Jappie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140930_075307.jpg
20140927_194003.jpg
20140925_120229.jpg
20140925_120046.jpg
20140925_115920.jpg
20140925_120239.jpg
20140925_120302.jpg
20140925_120337.jpg
20140925_120740.jpg
20140925_120452.jpg
20140925_120505.jpg
20140922_182341.jpg
20140922_182322.jpg
20140922_182328.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hey all, My name is Mike and I've been lurking for the past year. I never really thought about posting being the fact of me never owning a machine. Butt hat time is over, I've acquired this Banzai run that's in rough shape and wondered what's the first step in turning it on? I've read a small bit about turning on old machines being harmful.
// Error: Image 290697 not found //
// Error: Image 290698 not found //
// Error: Image 290699 not found //

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

20140922_182341.jpg20140922_182341.jpg20140922_182322.jpg20140922_182322.jpg20140922_182328.jpg20140922_182328.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Ha, You siad butt hat time

#4 9 years ago

Check fuses and make sure nothing looks burnt. just give it a good solid once over. And congrats on your first pin

#5 9 years ago

Well, after i turned it on a message "failure" appears in the top right display.

#6 9 years ago

Nice getting a Banzai Run for your first one! Yeah,check the batteries for any corrosion and replace them at once. After checking fuses,turn it on. Then start making your list.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Dalbon:

Well, after i turned it on a message "failure" appears in the top right display.

(At least) your first display is out and it is trying to say "Adjust Failure". Batteries probably need replacement at minimum.

#8 9 years ago

Great first pin! Rare and just classic. Great luck with the start-up...

#9 9 years ago

Second the recommendation to be sure the proper fuses are installed and the game is not over fused followed by replacing the batteries.

#10 9 years ago

After trying to take out the 15 year old batteries it looks like the top holders aren't even attached to the board.

#12 9 years ago

Wow what a way to start! Congrats on a fantastic find!

#13 9 years ago

Congratulations and welcome to the addiction, nice score! The pinside community will help you get that pin going

#14 9 years ago

Thanks guys. So far the biggest problem seems to be the the broken plastic in the far right corner and the general condition of the playfield. the back playfield has some broken posts and the quite a few bulbs are out.

I got this machine from my boss, so i dont have much in it (yet). Would it be wiser to trade or sell it for something a bit more noob friendly?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Dalbon:

Thanks guys. So far the biggest problem seems to be the the broken plastic in the far right corner and the general condition of the playfield. the back playfield has some broken posts and the quite a few bulbs are out.
I got this machine from my boss, so i dont have much in it (yet). Would it be wiser to trade or sell it for something a bit more noob friendly?

Pick up the top DVD about sys 11 games, it will help. Besides a brand new game, there is no such thing as a noob friendly game. They all break

#16 9 years ago

I know ths game has an unreplacable part being the lifter plastic. Make caution that you do not damage that part that lifts the ball to the upper playfield

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from skquinn:

"Adjust Failure"

From recent experience with my system 11. Adjust Failure means your battery is dead. Or, acid has eaten away a few solder joints. As well, the pads on your battery holder could be shot or even missing. As well, a resistor located near the battery holder could be blown.

Some very good troubleshooting: http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index3.htm#factory

#18 9 years ago

I don't think I would keep it if I found one as my first pin for cheap and it did not work. Too many other games that play a lot better. It is one of the more valuable system 11's though. You could pretty much trade it for any other system 11 you would want (even multiple titles) and them some.

Then again, you should NOT ever expect to find another one for sale cheap. That could only happen once in your life... Lucky!

So make sure and certain that you don't want it.

In your case, I would consider hanging on to it until you can play one, or watch a lot of youtube footage of the game in the very near future and see if you want to put forth the effort to get it going.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I don't think I would keep it if I found one for cheap. Too many other games that play a lot better. It is one of the more valuable system 11's though. You could pretty much trade it for any other system 11 you would want (even multiple titles) and them some.

It's a cool pin, but I totally agree. You could probably trade that for player's quality WW, ES, and Taxi with some luck. If you do decide to keep it, get on the CPR playfield wait list.

Chris

#20 9 years ago

Get rid of it NOW before it's too late! Ummm, never mind. Your'e already addicted. ANYWAY, you need to post a picture of the CPU so the pros here can guide you on what to do next.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Get rid of it NOW before it's too late! Ummm, never mind. Your'e already addicted. ANYWAY, you need to post a picture of the CPU so the pros here can guide you on what to do next.

Sure thing. But my wife is in labor right now so I've got a new toy coming Very soon!

#22 9 years ago

I scour the internet for at least an hour or two for a day and still can't find a decent project game! Have fun!

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Dalbon:

my wife is in labor right now

It's an addiction alright. You're here posting on pinside when you should be........???????

#24 9 years ago

Little kids love Banzai Run...just saying lol

#25 9 years ago

Got more detailed pictures. Made some progress by getting some garbled noises out of the speakers.
20140925_120505.jpg20140925_120505.jpg
20140925_120452.jpg20140925_120452.jpg
20140925_120740.jpg20140925_120740.jpg
20140925_120337.jpg20140925_120337.jpg
20140925_120302.jpg20140925_120302.jpg
20140925_120239.jpg20140925_120239.jpg
20140925_115920.jpg20140925_115920.jpg
20140925_120046.jpg20140925_120046.jpg
20140925_120229.jpg20140925_120229.jpg

#26 9 years ago

Photo #2 Made my eyes fall out. Then I saw the finger trail of dust and they popped back in. In ANY shape this is a must grab. Very fun and entertaining monster. Keep them elbows waxed and it will be tip-top shape in no time. But please don't let the restoration discourage you. It is a very rewarding and fun hobby.

#27 9 years ago

Don't run the old sandpaper balls through the game, they will instantly damage the playfield.

Order new balls, take each fuse out and verify it is the correct amperage and type (slow or fast).

Find someone who can solder to remove the old battery holder and replace it with a remote unit.

#28 9 years ago

Not in bad shape at all! It will clean up pretty nicely

#29 9 years ago

Definitely sat in a wet basement judging by the corrosion on the PF parts....Also the battery picture you've got some alkaline damage to the very least the holder, and more likely the board. Get those batteries out of there and do a vinegar wash and check for bridging in IC pins and traces that are lifting. The PF will need to be disassembled and all those parts tumbled at the least. I hope the lamp sockets below the PF aren't that corroded too.

Good Luck...I'm local (ish) in Raleigh so shoot me any questions via PM (e-mail). I don't spend too much time on Pinside anymore and will more likely see an e-mail.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Definitely sat in a wet basement judging by the corrosion on the PF parts....Also the battery picture you've got some alkaline damage to the very least the holder, and more likely the board. Get those batteries out of there and do a vinegar wash and check for bridging in IC pins and traces that are lifting. The PF will need to be disassembled and all those parts tumbled at the least. I hope the lamp sockets below the PF aren't that corroded too.
Good Luck...I'm local (ish) in Raleigh so shoot me any questions via PM (e-mail). I don't spend too much time on Pinside anymore and will more likely see an e-mail.

I think ill begin to take it apart next weekend. Thanks for the advice and ill defiantly shoot you an email if I get in trouble

#31 9 years ago

While I'm waiting for the battery piece I decided to begin the teardown. My lord is it a mess, after taking off this plastic piece I found just a random screw stuck in one of the switches. I have no experience with this stuff so I left the kickback and flipper mechanism bolted to the underside. But pretty much every bulb socket needs cleaned and that seems simple enough. Here's to a long journey!

20140927_194003.jpg20140927_194003.jpg
#32 9 years ago

Congrats on the pickup. What an amazing score for your first pin. This should clean up easily/nicely. I am dealing with a Rollergames right now with a similar backstory, but in far worse shape.

You may want to wait before tearing it down. It is generally best to know have the game working before taking things apart. That way you have an idea if it is a pre existing condition or something you have done. Get that CPU cleaned up and neutralized the best you can and install the new battery pack and go through your diagnostics.

If you haven't already check out the pin repair series for System 11's. The website has saved me quite a few times. For now go through the checklist, check your fuses, coils, diodes...

#33 9 years ago

just remember when you drop a screw that falls into another dimension, never too be seen again, you bust up your knuckles, yell at yourself repeatedly , spend lots and lots of money on parts and mods you don't need, it truly is a labor of love!

#34 9 years ago

Absolutely keep it. That game is awesome. It does need some love, but anyone can clean. If a part looks too hard to take apart, don't. Clean what you can reach and move on. You will be surprised how well that dirt protected the playfield.

#35 9 years ago

Remeber to take TONS of pictures During tear down.
You can not take to many.
Pics will save your sanity.

#36 9 years ago

Hey man, a Banzai Run for your first pin: not bad at all! Banzai Run is an awesome game. Seeing the pictures brings back memories.

This is my Banzai Run story (in short). I hope it encourages you to keep your machine and restore it.

About 12 years ago, I had my first Banzai Run. Cleaned it, put new rubbers on it and all, and fell madly in love with the gameplay. A year later, I sold it because of the shape that the playfield was in. Kicked myself for that, as I missed the awesome gameplay and uniqueness of the game.

Fast forward to about four years ago. I bought a basket case Banzai Run. In pieces. All parts were removed from it and put in boxes. A previous owner started the process of restoring it, but never finished. The parts were in similar condition as yours. The playfield just a hair better. After I bought it, I put it in my parents attic. Then, I started restoring the playfield. Took out all the inserts. Sanded and cleaned them. Put them back in with new decals. Put on some layers of clearcoat. Spent a lot of time on it. Trial and error. Sweat and tears. Never clearcoated a machine before. But then, slowly, as things go... a busier period in my life and the Banzai Run project lost my attention. For 3 years, it just stood there in my parents' attic. Playfield out. All parts next to it. A sad sight, really. Along the years, selling it in pieces crossed my mind a few times...

We reach may, this year. A visit to my parents. I stand in the room where the project is standing. I look at it. Suddenly, I remember playing my first Banzai Run. How much fun it was. And then I decide: I HAVE to finish this project. From that time on, things go a lot faster. I finish the clearcoats on the lower field and clear the upper field as well. I start the puzzle of putting everything back together. Which sucks, without pictures. Some great Pinsiders help me by supplying pictures of their BR's for the build-up of mine. Slowly, the machine starts to take shape again. Until...
Finally!Finally!
Since last weekend, I am again the owner of a working version of this great classic machine. Not a perfect example by any means, but it came out more beautiful than I ever imagined. The love for its gameplay and unique layout is back. This time, it won't leave.

Mike, what I'm trying to say is: the journey is indeed long. But with this machine, it is *so* worth all of it. And Pinside is a great place to find support if you need it. I wish you good luck restoring your Banzai Run!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,490.00
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Cumming, GA
$ 1,280.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 279.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Thetford Mines, QC
$ 180.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-got-my-first-pin-basement-banzai-run-where-do-i-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.