IMG_0409.jpg
IMG_0398.jpg
IMG_0397.jpg
pinside3.jpg
pinside_1.jpg
LITZ_Champ.jpg
Picture.jpg
Lost_in_the_Zone.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 13 years ago

TZ was the first game that I ever knew had a wizard mode. Among my friends it was all rumors and hearsay at first. "There's this mode you can get to if you're really good! There's this guy who can get to it!"

Then one day I was walking down the stairs into the UC Berkeley Underground arcade in the early 90s, and for whatever reason, my eyes zoomed in on this guy playing TZ and the doorknob was lit.

"What the hell...?"

And then I saw Lost in the Zone. I had never seen that many balls on a table before.

I instantly thought, "I have to do that."

Took a long time, a LONG time. Either it was broken games, lack of locations or just poor play. I just couldn't make it happen.

Then, one day. Just that magical combination of better skills and a bit of luck on a game that had a dead piano shot. Three door panels away. Two. One. Ball three. One bad shot and it's all over. But one good shot...

I put my initials on the scoreboard and left the arcade. I walked a little taller that day.

2 weeks later
#19 13 years ago

"The more I play the game, the more I realize just how much strategy is involved if you want to maximize your points. It's not just a matter of mastering the shots, but learning the best time to make a particular shot. This is one of the things about TZ that makes it so much fun, and gives it a longevity that many other pins lack."

Exactly. For example, if you know the next camera award is "Collect Bonus" but you also know you have one more shot on the gumball to get the powerball, it might be worth it to take the powerball and go for powerball mania. Once powerball mania is done, THEN shoot the camera for collect bonus, which could be worth a lot depending on how well you did in PB Mania.

And of course, the most lucrative shot in the game by far is Collect Bonus after getting LITZ...

#35 13 years ago

"Great job Ice......I also get tired when playing so long. I have tried to take a break after LITZ with several balls remaining. I never have played well either after that. Thanks for the motivation....I was still tinkering with mine, but I am going to finish cleaning and go after 2,000,000. I see you have no gumballs in machine. I like the look, but it took me 3 hours and a lot of cussing to get those in there."

Twizz - try playing in a tournament some time. Part of it really is an endurance-fest when you've been trying for hours to qualify and then have to jump right into Finals competition. Physically you're tired and mentally your nerves are fried.

#41 13 years ago

Twizz, it really varies quite a lot. I ran one in Feb where you played each game (6 total) two times. Your best scores are ranked and you get points for your place. So 1st place got 20 points, 2nd got 19, etc. The top 8 played in a head-to-head elimination.

Other tournaments run differently. Some have an "open qualifying" format, where you purchase qualifying tickets. You can keep trying to qualify until you run out of time, money or both!

Some have "quick" tournaments where you can get in and out in an hour or two. These are nice because you won't miss much of the show, but don't expect the prizes to be exceptional.

3 weeks later
#52 13 years ago

Try getting LITZ twice on one ball! I have never done it myself but I've seen a few players do it. The common denominator: being able to back-hand the slot machine consistently.

I've got Tour the Mansion on one ball a few times. Ramp > Chair > Ramp > Chair, repeat. Lots of chopping wood and ignoring the drainy modes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-got-lost-in-the-zone?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.