(Topic ID: 281011)

Just got into pinball, need some help on a BSD.

By Boyce919

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Boyce919
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
d4adec30d85656df662dc7d6feb955cdc8a332af (resized).jpg
PXL_20201105_033358655 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201105_031430121.MP (resized).jpg
02_bsd_sol25.jpg
01_bsd_sol25.jpg
#1 3 years ago

I have a coil for the drop target for the black door in the back left that keeps smoking up. The transistor on the main board was fried so we replaced it and no go.. So we put in a new board and it worked for about 10 games then smoked the same coil and transistor. Any ideas? Coil is smoked and transistor is also smoked again. Had a tech come over and do the work but I'm trying to figure it out myself until he can get back out. The coil is getting 76 volts after transistor is blown. Thanks for any info, this is my first pin.

#2 3 years ago

Bad coil blowing things up ? Something shorting to coil ? Or if there is a diode on that coil, there shouldn't be one.

Past that I'd be checking for wiring shorts from coil to driver board in the backbox.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
01_bsd_sol25.jpg01_bsd_sol25.jpg02_bsd_sol25.jpg02_bsd_sol25.jpg
#4 3 years ago

Wow guys thanks alot. Let me check a few things here and I'll let you know.

#5 3 years ago

So here's a pic of what's connected. The blue and brown is disconnected so I could still play the game. But if I understand this right one of the violet green wires should be on the other terminal with the blue and brown? It was getting to much power??!!??

PXL_20201105_031430121.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20201105_031430121.MP (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago

Yeah it is the tieback diode wire

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

What is that orphaned wire with the electrical tape? The missing violet-green?

Looks like the violet green tie back wire. Should be soldered to the two purple wires on the lug.

Or the three wires soldered to a separate wire and the separate wire soldered to the lug. That way if it breaks off the lug you don't blow stuff up.

#8 3 years ago

Ok so I think this is right.. what do you think? Not soldered in just placed for pic. Thanks for all your help!!!

PXL_20201105_033358655 (resized).jpgPXL_20201105_033358655 (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Boyce919:

Ok so I think this is right.. what do you think?

No.

The thin wire you have on the black wire goes to the two purple wires. It's violet with green stripe - right ?

The blue wire ( with brown stripe ? ) goes some where else.

#10 3 years ago

The black wire is not part of this system... It's in the background but looks like it is connected.. sorry bad pic. So all the violets together and the blue and brown on the other side by itself. If the blue and brown doesn't go there the coil wouldn't have anything on one of the lugs.

d4adec30d85656df662dc7d6feb955cdc8a332af (resized).jpgd4adec30d85656df662dc7d6feb955cdc8a332af (resized).jpg
#11 3 years ago

By the way I appreciate all the help with guys. This has been very overwhelming for me to try and figure out. So thank you for your time and input.

#12 3 years ago

My reading of the schematic is that the blue-brown and violet-green from J122 attach to one lug; and the violet-green from J107 attaches to the other.
I'll go and get a photo....

Ok now I’m doubting my own wiring! That diagram is confusing but mine is wired the way Lloyd says.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#13 3 years ago

Looks like OP is missing the connector shown in dr’s pic that combines the 3 violet wires, but ultimately the 3 violet wires go to one lug and the blue wire to the other lug. So based on op’s original pic, I’d say reattach the cut blue wire and add the thin purple wire to the other 2 purples.

Now as to why things are burning up I’m not sure, other than a short somewhere. I remember working on a BSD years ago that had some of the playfield harness wires tangled up in the RH playfield slide latch pin area causing issues. Check around there for pinched wires.

#14 3 years ago

Awesome guys thanks!! Think it was burning up because that small violet green wire was not hooked up at all. So being connected to the diode on the board wasn't doing its job. In turn blowing up the transistor and giving it power all the time and burning up.. make sense? I'll get it hooked up soon when I get new coil and that board fixed. Thanks alot and I'll keep you posted!!!

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Boyce919:

Think it was burning up because that small violet green wire was not hooked up at all. So being connected to the diode on the board wasn't doing its job. In turn blowing up the transistor and giving it power all the time and burning up.. make sense?

Ding. Ding. Ding. Winner winner. Chicken dinner.

I am glad you figured it out from the provided images. I did not provide any text in the hopes that you would put it together and you did. GREAT JOB!

Unfortunately the wiring diagram is not obvious. That tieback diode wire should ideally come out from the top rather than the bottom of the solenoid box so that it's obvious that it should be connected with the other VIO-GRN wires.

#16 3 years ago

Thanks dumb ass! Getting my feet wet fast! I'll keep you posted.

1 week later
#17 3 years ago

Update.. yep that was it! Everything is working properly. Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it. Till next time lol.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 5.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 84.99
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-got-into-pinball-need-some-help-on-a-bsd- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.