Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by tomdotcom
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Just got back and saw the JJP and Colordmd seminar.

Here are some impressions of what I heard and saw.

1. JJP, Gary Stern was in the back taking notes the whole time. Jack basically gave a date of March 13th as the coming off the line date. He revealed the artwork, and it looked very nice. Tin Man on one side of the head, Lion on the other.

Most interesting reveal he had was that another designer, that he has not publicly revealed, has brought to him in New Jersey a fully developed machine, with a whitewood playfield and no theme. He was so impressed that it might be, emphasis on might, the second pin they do.

2. I stayed and was impressed by the colordmd guys. The 2 questions on everybody mind was, when and how much. The reveal: Before the end of the year and 399, with an initial 100 for sale. I'm sure this is just a goal right now, but I really hope to see it happen.

It was neat seeing the timeline of how this came to be. Cool to see somebody realizing a dream.

First one is AFM, with more to follow. He said it takes about 100 hours to color the graphics for one game. Learned a lot from this presentation on how graphics on a pin work. They do not mess with the roms, which many people were wondering. The LCD screen was smaller than I expected, and the install looked very easy.

Looked like a very nice mod. Can't see orange DMD's in the future. They had a demo in the main hall.

It was reported that there were over 400 pins there, with many of them being super rare.

Great time, sad that I couldn't stay longer.

#2 12 years ago

Thanks for the report jimjim66
    wonder if anyone got a photo of Mr Stern in the back taking notes?

#3 12 years ago

i'm sooooo happy to see SOMEONE has finally taking over the rights to williams/bally. this may be the resurrection!!!

#4 12 years ago

Thanx jimjim66,good reporting as well,appreciate the JJP update and what you took from it.

#5 12 years ago

Thanks for the update! Very interesting news about the mystery designer approaching Jack. I wonder if it's Lawlor. He's been MIA from the pinball scene for a while now.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Thanks for the update! Very interesting news about the mystery designer approaching Jack. I wonder if it's Lawlor. He's been MIA from the pinball scene for a while now.

That was the buzz around the room. Very short list of people that have the capability of whipping up a pin and impressing Jack enough to want to go with it. The thing about Jack, he does know how to generate interest. Room was packed, standing room only.

#7 12 years ago

Looks of cool info.

I wonder how long inbetween color dmd releases.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

The thing about Jack, he does know how to generate interest. Room was packed, standing room only.

Jack is very charismatic. I talked to him on the phone once for about 45 minutes. By the time I got off with him, I was practically ready to order a second WOZ.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I was practically ready to order a second WOZ.

how do you feel about the 'wide' open playfield? i like an open playfield, but after the initial teaser, i feel it's a little 'too' open? looking foward to play this in december!

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

how do you feel about the 'wide' open playfield? i like an open playfield, but after the initial teaser, i feel it's a little 'too' open? looking foward to play this in december!

He said that the whitewood that everybody saw has already been tweeked again. Example: the pop bumper in the out lane was hitting curved targets. It wasn't working liked they hoped, so they changed it. Playfield whitewood video also did not have mechs on it, so maybe it will not be as open as it appeared He said, he has only shown about 10% of the final product. Pinball News was there, so people can see the interview later and get things that I didn't catch.

Forgot to mention, he is planning a Jersey pinball show that will have a tour of his plant. He's working on it, no definite times yet as it is a work in progress too.

Good to see the passion he has for this project. If it doesn't live up to the hype, it won't be from a lack of effort.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

How do you feel about the 'wide' open playfield?

Wide open playfields don't bother me as long as they are well executed. For example, STTNG is about as wide open as they come, and I think it's one of the most brilliant games ever made.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Forgot to mention, he is planning a Jersey pinball show that will have a tour of his plant. He's working on it, no definite times yet as it is a work in progress too.

i hear he'll be at chi town expo next month? missed his presentation in denver at the rocky mtn showdown (too much sake)

Quoted from gweempose:

Wide open doesn't bother me as long as it is well executed

i totally agree gweem. i looove open playfields with deep shots. those shots are real 'shooters' game. i guess i'll find out soon enough when my buddy gets his in this fall, can't wait to session this puppy!!!

#13 12 years ago

I agree.
    Jack's passion for this game and his company is very infectious. You just want to hand him more money when he's done speaking! The second game BTW, is already greenlit by the wife! Hooray!
    The WOZ cabinet art in full "hi-rez" color was pretty damn cool too.
    The State Fair balloon is going to save some asses for sure!

#14 12 years ago

I hope the mystery designer is Lawlor and his game Wizard Blocks.

#15 12 years ago

Great notes, JJP sure has the industry watching.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

I hope the mystery designer is Lawlor and his game Wizard Blocks. [8)]

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

JJP, Gary Stern was in the back taking notes the whole time. Jack basically gave a date of March 13th as the coming off the line date. He revealed the artwork, and it looked very nice. Tin Man on one side of the head, Lion on the other.

Most interesting reveal he had was that another designer, that he has not publicly revealed, has brought to him in New Jersey a fully developed machine, with a whitewood playfield and no theme. He was so impressed that it might be, emphasis on might, the second pin they do.

Sounds like Gary getting very worried.

As for this mystery pin - wow - exciting stuff!!

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

I hope the mystery designer is Lawlor and his game Wizard Blocks. [8)]

Now that would be quite spectacular. No better way to make a statement of devotion and dedication to the cause of better, no-compromise game play then to finish one of Williams' own!

Don't we just all love to daydream a bit...

#19 12 years ago

Wizard Blocks with LCD screen and the whole team to tweak it would be awesome

#20 12 years ago

Wizard blocks video.

Think this is unlikely but who knows.

#21 12 years ago

Stern didn't think JJP would get this far, remember? Come to think of it, a LOT of pinball people didn't either. I was convinced from the start, and his chat at PPE (sorry, the NW Gameroom Show) in June totally hooked me. Now he's not only very near completion of a machine that will sell around the world, but also taking pinball into the future. No wonder notes were taken.

Wonder who the mystery designer is?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the update, jimjim66!

#22 12 years ago

We can't forget about The Duke as well...
    I also voted for Lawlor, but who knows how many pins/ideas Jpop has ready to go!
    Hell, I'd hire both...
    After knowing that we were all amped (and sold) on that 8-10% of what we now know WOZ is, I wouldn't be surprised if he (Jack) would want to start making multiple pins per year ala Stern.
    I am going to start investing in some "depends" stock. Because the pinball community is going to be buying them by the truckload very soon...

#23 12 years ago

Great Report! Where you allow to take pics? or do Video?

#24 12 years ago

I can see myself going for the second pin. ( Not likely to be Wizard Blocks though so say some ).

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from tk375:

Great Report! Where you allow to take pics? or do Video?

JJP was an hour and a half seminar. I didn't take video because Pinball News was there doing that with a real camera, so it should be posted better than I could have taken with my phone. I expect it to be up soon, or at least have the audio bites. He was really respectful and purposely not trying to step on Gary's toes.

I did take some picture of the colorDMD stuff as I was presently surprised on how small the monitor was. I was expecting to really have a difficult time squeezing that thing into the head of a pin. Looked pretty straight forward to install. I asked permission first, as they still have patent pending things going on. What you see on their website is exactly what it looks like.

Seriously think it is the best mod ever. Purists might not like it, but who still owns a black and white television? Only thing that is prohibitive is the cost.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-got-back-from-ppe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.