6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PINBELL
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG00362.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I picked up an Escalera stair-climbing dolly today! MI-1-66 1200lb. Like new for $400! Everything can go upstairs, now!!!

image.jpg image.jpg

#2 6 years ago

Nice score! Some day, one of those deals will pop up in my neck of the woods!

#3 6 years ago

Nice score! Wish I had one

#4 6 years ago

Let us know how it works out for you. My back and pocket book keep fighting over getting one of these. $400 is a steal!! Dibs if you sell.

#5 6 years ago

Congrats! That's a great price. I paid the big chunk for a new one since I couldn't find a local deal, but haven't regretted it a bit. Yea...it could have been another pin...but it also could have been a thrown out back, blown out knee, or worse by now. Just be careful and take your time learning how to use it. It's a lifesaver, but a little tricky to get the hang of. The center of gravity shifts significantly as it climbs, and you have to be ready for that. You also have to get the angle right as it grabs or it can slip off the stair. It's a bitch when it slips...trust me. Be careful and take your time and you should be fine.

#6 6 years ago

Nice score! I really need to invest in one of these...my wife is less than amused helping me haul pins upstairs

#7 6 years ago

That's a back saver!

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Congrats! That's a great price. I paid the big chunk for a new one since I couldn't find a local deal, but haven't regretted it a bit. Yea...it could have been another pin...but it also could have been a thrown out back, blown out knee, or worse by now. Just be careful and take your time learning how to use it. It's a lifesaver, but a little tricky to get the hang of. The center of gravity shifts significantly as it climbs, and you have to be ready for that. You also have to get the angle right as it grabs or it can slip off the stair. It's a bitch when it slips...trust me. Be careful and take your time and you should be fine.

Thanks!

#9 6 years ago

Nice deal, I bought mine used and paid a little more. Sure I could have bought a pin for the price, but my back has been thanking me ever since.

#10 6 years ago

$400 is a hell of a deal.

#11 6 years ago

Wicked deal... I hate you !

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

Wicked deal... I hate you !

Thanks, I think!

#13 6 years ago

I was just gonna say, Greg, that's the solution to all your second floor game room problems!

#14 6 years ago

Very Nice deal. I love mine. Get the big wheel attachment now! I would not love mine as much if I didn't have that. With the big wheel, you can put a game on the cart, lean it back on all 4 wheels, then buckle it up. Can also go over different level surfaces like from outside over a door stop to inside with little effort. You can go from the big wheels to the small if you need to easily reposition the cart. Plus going over grass or whatever. Did I say get the big wheel attachment yet? The only time my big wheels are not on is when I am going up and down stairs.

Practice with it as Jediturtle said. You have to balance the weight and it tries to push forward when going up/down. Once you find the sweet spot it is smooth sailing

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Very Nice deal. I love mine. Get the big wheel attachment now! I would not love mine as much if I didn't have that. With the big wheel, you can put a game on the cart, lean it back on all 4 wheels, then buckle it up. Can also go over different level surfaces like from outside over a door stop to inside with little effort. You can go from the big wheels to the small if you need to easily reposition the cart. Plus going over grass or whatever. Did I say get the big wheel attachment yet? The only time my big wheels are not on is when I am going up and down stairs.
    Practice with it as Jediturtle said. You have to balance the weight and it tries to push forward when going up/down. Once you find the sweet spot it is smooth sailing

Will do! Right now, I just need to go from the dining room and den and kitchen, to the empty room upstairs! It's either that, or an out building, with no climate control! My Wife and kids want a Christmas tree!!!

#16 6 years ago

Love my Escalera. As others have said it takes a little practice to get used to. Please don't assume you can go up and down stairs without help at least the first few times. Going down you have to learn the proper distance or you will overshoot the stair. Going up you need to have it properly balanced or it will want to fling forward and slam down. Also don't stop the lifters at the top of the rotation as the two at the bottom will scratch your floor when you set it down. Learned this the hard way on a new solid hardwood floor. Going to order the big wheels right now.

#17 6 years ago

Yea...Big Wheels kick ass. Get them.

#18 6 years ago

Nice find...congrats. You can't put a price on saving your body from injuries. Even if I ever get out of pinball I will keep it for other items. They even make a stair assembly so that you can walk it into the back of a pickup truck by yourself. I got the bigwheel attachment but have not used it yet because anything I moved has been so close to the front door and stairs.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from merfeldma:

my back has been thanking me ever since.

Mine too!

#20 6 years ago

Anyone in Chicago area who has an escalera and wants to rent it out for those less than frequent pinball moves pm me. My slipped disc is really acting up lately. But I can't see buying one of these for the infrequent use. Yes, I am cheap too.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Love my Escalera. As others have said it takes a little practice to get used to. Please don't assume you can go up and down stairs without help at least the first few times. Going down you have to learn the proper distance or you will overshoot the stair. Going up you need to have it properly balanced or it will want to fling forward and slam down. Also don't stop the lifters at the top of the rotation as the two at the bottom will scratch your floor when you set it down. Learned this the hard way on a new solid hardwood floor. Going to order the big wheels right now.

I think I'll practice without a load, first!

#22 6 years ago

Best tool I ever bought.

#23 6 years ago

One problem is that practicing without a load does almost no good. Without the weight, you don't get the nasty center of gravity shift that you do when loaded. You really need to get a pin on there and just go up and down 1-2 steps a few times to really get a feel for it. I would strongly suggest not having anyone under you...ever...when using it, just in case. If it slips off a step or gets away from you, the person on the bottom is a goner. I've heard of a few people "riding" one down. Try a few dry runs without a load, but be prepared that it will be completely different when loaded.

I know I am making it sound way worse than it is, but just want you to be aware that it still isn't a walk in the park...but it is way easier than without.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Nice score! I really need to invest in one of these...my wife is less than amused helping me haul pins upstairs

Ehem ... Neither is your friendly pin-pushing friend. Pun intended.

#25 6 years ago

Do folks buy these direct from the manufacturer or are they discounted through other vendors? I'm thinking about getting one new since I've never seen one for sale used around here.

Thanks

#26 6 years ago

Can't afford it . Just lift weights.

IMG00362.jpg

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

Can't afford it . Just lift weights.

Nice six pack Tarzan.

#28 6 years ago

You're a weird guy ace. A weird guy.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

You're a weird guy ace. A weird guy.

I've always felt that Dan Marino gives off a wife beater vibe

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

One problem is that practicing without a load does almost no good. Without the weight, you don't get the nasty center of gravity shift that you do when loaded. You really need to get a pin on there and just go up and down 1-2 steps a few times to really get a feel for it. I would strongly suggest not having anyone under you...ever...when using it, just in case. If it slips off a step or gets away from you, the person on the bottom is a goner. I've heard of a few people "riding" one down. Try a few dry runs without a load, but be prepared that it will be completely different when loaded.

I know I am making it sound way worse than it is, but just want you to be aware that it still isn't a walk in the park...but it is way easier than without.

Agree in that you need to practice with a load to get the proper feel. As for not having help....I'm not sure I agree. Two guys using a normal appliance dolly is just as much of a danger or more so then using this dolly. They have to put that warning on the cart to cover themselves from lawsuits. Please don't ask your 102 lb wife or 8 year old child to assist. I was thinking someone with experience moving these things would work. Most of us in this hobby have a helper we call when moving pins.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Agree in that you need to practice with a load to get the proper feel. As for not having help....I'm not sure I agree. Two guys using a normal appliance dolly is just as much of a danger or more so then using this dolly. They have to put that warning on the cart to cover themselves from lawsuits. Please don't ask your 102 lb wife or 8 year old child to assist. I was thinking someone with experience moving these things would work. Most of us in this hobby have a helper we call when moving pins.

Well, a normal appliance dolly does not have that nasty center of gravity change trying to throw the load forward and also doesn't have the possibility of the climbing "feet" slipping off a step. Normal dolly requires more brute strength, but is more controllable, at least in my opinion. I've moved many pins with a regular dolly with me on top, my wife under to lift as I pull. No way in hell I'd ever let her under the Escalera. Again, just my opinion from doing it both ways.

The Escalera makes life much easier, no doubt about it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to scare anyone away from it. Just make sure you are prepared for it and not expecting it to magically float up the stairs itself!

#32 6 years ago

So, I think I'll get my mother in law to get behind it, and push!!!

#33 6 years ago

Found out today that it was made in 2010! Love it!

1 week later
    #34 6 years ago

Got the big-wheel attachment today. Attaches and detaches in about 2 seconds! I can see how this could double the dolly's abilities! Should make pin collecting a lot easier!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 14.95
    $ 24.50
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 3.70
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 9.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside