• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0637.JPG
IMG_0603.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Today I put the finishing touches on my DM and told my family "It's done". Funny how things work cause a few hours after that a pin popped on craigslist less than 5 miles from my house. Stargate asking for $1650.

Stargate was on my short list for it's theme and cost to own so I scrambled a meet up. I got to the door and his wife said there was a disaster but come on in. The owner introduced himself and explained he was moving these collectors mugs they set on top the backglass and one fell right thru the glass. I actually noticed the mugs in the picture on craigs and thought that was a bad idea.

So I started helping him clean while I was checking it out and noted how dirty it was to myself. I said to him I would need to do a complete tear down to clean it anyways and now to remove glass also. I verified it powered up okay, inspected the cabinet which is very nice, and offered him $1300. They took it.

Now I have it home and plan to strip it down, remove the mylar which covers most of the PF, touch up & clear coat it, fix anything, etc. A lot of the metals need TLC and hopefully buff out.

Pic library started:
http://sdrv.ms/Qd60Nc

I am second guessing myself a little as $1300 is a lot of money. Hopefully I won't have to soak more than $2-300 more into it plus what it costs to get it clearcoated by a friend.

#2 11 years ago

Loved that movie! If I had room for more pins it wold be on my list.

#3 11 years ago

Oh and no key to the backglass. I tried removing the bracket but no go. I'm going to have to look into drilling it out.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from sb80:

Loved that movie! If I had room for more pins it wold be on my list.

Wow the 3 you own are top notch! Awesome.

#5 11 years ago

Looks nice, especially the playfield. I love my Stargate, but someone tried to peel up the mylar between the flippers and took up part of the gate artwork with it. This is one playfield I wish someone would reproduce.

#6 11 years ago

Cool machine and good job. I'm wondering if he would have taken $1,000 though because of the damage he caused. What do you think?

#7 11 years ago

He may have. I wanted to be fair and not get into a situation he waited for more people to come and see it. I'll be sweating it right up till its all fixed up

#8 11 years ago

I fired it up this morning. It does play and surprisingly I made the right tall ramp shot a couple times. All solenoids need love, the right sling keeps firing, 4 or 5 switches show issues on the test menu, and there is a nasty ground buzz in the sound system. Should be a while

It turns out my local guy doesn't do clearcoating himself. Once tear down is complete I am going to try and Novus 2 buff out the Mylar and go from there.

Any suggestions on the initial wipe down? Stick to Novus 1 or use something with a little more umph? It is nasty. Inside it smells like their animals too, yuck. And I'm a dog owner

#9 11 years ago

Be very careful removing the mylar. It is very common for artwork and insert artwork to come up when removing the mylar.

#10 11 years ago

I learned my lesson in a tiny area with my DM. Freeze spray for now on.

I'm going to try and see if Novus 2 will shine up the Mylar and may leave it if I cannot find a person to clear it.

#11 11 years ago

Don't forget to shoot the pyramid

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Don't forget to shoot the pyramid

lol!

#13 11 years ago

$1300 is not bad for the shape yours is in considering I'm up to about $1500 just in restore cost on mine. That's not counting what I paid for the game itself. It is in far better shape then mine was in. The only bad spot I see is on the left side at the bottom but everyone I've seen has wear there. If you want all the metal work replated it will cost you around $300 to do it all.

#14 11 years ago

Thanks marlboroa, that relieves me quite a bit. I see it as me investing in a theme I really enjoy.

I may just do the replating. More than just that, the left side of the left ramp is completly separated except for the top and the first bottom right one is on the right ramp. Will they re-weld and plate them?

I updated my photo gallery http://sdrv.ms/Qd60Nc to start the tear down ones. I'm done for today ... Demolition Time

IMG_0603.JPGIMG_0603.JPG

#15 11 years ago

He will reweld the seam but not the mounting tabs. I didn't have mine. If you have your tabs I guess you could ask if he can put them back. When I start putting my ramps back on I'm going to see I
If I can put a post next to it to keep it from splitting again. I did the same thing on a Elvis pin on the upper playfield ramp and it worked great.

#16 11 years ago

Did that $300 include the bottom of the pyramid? So if it's that, the 2 ramps with weld work, and all wireform ramps that sounds like a really good deal. What was his contact info? Send in PM if you need to.

As soon as I saw that left ramp I said that needed a post installed also.

#17 11 years ago

mbob would you please consider taking some pictures for me and some of the other Stargate owners? I would love some high res pictures of some of the wear areas while you have the playfield torn down and I've seen others ask before.

I also saw your post about trading and I would encourage you to get this up and playing for a month or so before you decide to trade it out. Even people who haven't played pinball have fun on mine. My playfield is much rougher than yours but it still plays well and it's a lot of fun.

It's a really nice complementary game to Rollergames which plays really fast.

#18 11 years ago

I sure will take high res pics of anything you want. Keep in mind my camera is a phone I can grab the wives camera though. The two hot spots in my opinion are the bottom left ball drop and the top right line up to a ball drop. I will get them up this weekend when I finish the tear down.

I agree with you about getting it up and running fully before making a trade desicion. I'm really new to this and the ramp welds and playfield touch ups are throwing me off a touch. I'd be tempted to trade for something that just needed cleaning .....I may have to take a more conservative approach at first and see if I want to invest more later.

So my current plan of attack is to buff the mylar, clean the playfield as best as I can without damaging, then add mylar the 2 wear spots to stop damage and its reversible later if clear coated. The wire forms and ramps should clean up pretty well but I need to figure out the weld issue. Then address flippers, switches, etc and see if I fall in love with the game before investing a lot of cash.

#19 11 years ago

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v472/marlboroa/stargate/ start at the last page and go backwards. It should have plenty of wear pictures in it.

#20 11 years ago

marlboroa, I used to think I took a lot of pictures. I hope your album's still up when I shop mine.

I have wear in the same areas shown in the pictures. Anyone have any idea what causes the wear on the stargate on the playfield? I've never seen that wear on other games.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

marlboroa, I used to think I took a lot of pictures. I hope your album's still up when I shop mine.
I have wear in the same areas shown in the pictures. Anyone have any idea what causes the wear on the Stargate on the playfield? I've never seen that wear on other games.

The main wear spots on Stargate are from the ball drops. Plus, I don't think they clearcoated the playfield much, if at all, which is why the game has the large mylar on most of the playfield.

#22 11 years ago

Gottlieb didn't clear coat their playfields at all (at least not with an automotive clear) like williams did. That's why a lot of them have factory mylar installed.

#23 11 years ago

They are clearcoated with something. I think they just did the mylar as overkill. Problem with Gottliebs, is that they used some sort of silver primer, which turns out, sucks ass, and art comes up later. In places you wouldn't expect paint to come up. I've restored a lot of Stargates, and they have wear in the weirdest spots.

#24 11 years ago

Fun game congrats.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

I have wear in the same areas shown in the pictures. Anyone have any idea what causes the wear on the Stargate on the playfield? I've never seen that wear on other games.

I took that many on stargate just because i knew it would be 4-6 months before I got to put it back together. CaptainNeo is the one who did the playfield restore. He did some magic trick and made it look good.

#26 11 years ago

One day Neo will get my SG playfield to do but too many other projects for now and other than the left ball drop and Sarcophagus and typical spidered lacquer coat where there's no mylar, mine is in pretty good shape.

viperrwk

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I updated my photo gallery

I noticed you took all the parts off the board with the playfield still in the machine. Is this the preferred method? Or do people usually pull the playfield out and work with it out of the machine?

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I noticed you took all the parts off the board with the playfield still in the machine. Is this the preferred method? Or do people usually pull the playfield out and work with it out of the machine?

No. But for someone who is tight on space like...someone who lives in an apartment, it's probably better.

viperrwk

#29 11 years ago

I like it up and away from kids and the dog. Plus space is tight.

2 weeks later
#30 11 years ago

I'm getting close. I took a couple weeks off as I've been busy. I should be playing tomorrow.

IMG_0637.JPGIMG_0637.JPG

#31 11 years ago

Shoot the pyramid! Lol I fixed drop targets, sling, center kicker, left raise target, tournament play not switching on, and this pin is a lot of fun!

I still have to fix the outer target switch which is the only one out and do some flipper rebuilds.

#32 11 years ago

Looks great. Keep the videos and pictures coming.

#33 11 years ago

that playfield looks like glass, nice work.

#34 11 years ago

Thanks, I plan to go back and do some touchups on the bottom left shooter and ball drop. I just needed to get it back together and play it some to see where I wanted to go with it and see what else was wrong. Maybe someone here can help on something.

The switch to operate the pyramid lift was initially stuck together. The Pyramid initially opened up with power up until I got the switch separated. The coil was also warm to touch when it was in this state. I thought I had the problem licked with just fixing the switch but the coil doesn't seem to have enough power to open the gate without a little help to get it started. Any ideas? My guess is the High power portion isn't firing now where it was stuck on before.

#35 11 years ago

I figured it out today. The switch was fine to begin with and when I separated it I stopped the high power side. I assume the initial issue was resolved when I traced and soldered a couple wires that were broke in that area AFTER I fiddled with the switch. So it works great now! The ship coming out and moving is a trip lol.

I just have flipper rebuilds left, new legs, one switch (all on order) and some playfield touchups. Does anyone have some recommendations on a printer setup to use with some glossy sticker paper that I will Mylar over? I may go the water slide with mylar way but not sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-got-a-stargate-for-1300-shop-time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.