(Topic ID: 228145)

Just got a Haunted House... now some solenoids don't work?

By lilmul123

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Zablon
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I just picked up a Haunted House a few days ago. The guy I bought it from was great; there was an issue with the existing driver board, and he replaced it with a Nu-wumpf driver board. Awesome.

Fast forward to today (about three days later), and this morning, one of the diodes on one of the kicker solenoids apparently failed (tested continuity on the diode, and got continuity in both directions) and magic smoke was released. This blew the F4 solenoid fuse. Replaced that, disconnected the faulty solenoid for now, turned the game back on, and... it seems like some of the solenoids no longer work. More specifically, it appears to be the upper and lower playfield flippers, upper and lower bumper, lower bank reset, and both upkickers are dead. Running through the solenoid test procedure on the HH, solenoids 2 and 8 do not respond.

I've checked all the fuses, looked through the schematic to see what exactly these solenoids have in common, etc., and I have not been able to figure anything out. The only thing I can *really* think of is that when the solenoid shorted to ground, it knocked out some of the transistors in the Nu-wumpf. I find that hard to believe on a brand new board, but I guess anything can happen.

Can anyone think of anything else that might cause my issues before I check for dead transistors on the Nu-wumpf?

#2 3 years ago

The pop bumpers and flippers are not controlled directly from the driver board. Flippers are enabled via relays (which are in turn activated by the driver). Make sure the Q, U, and T relays are activating properly.

Pop bumpers are controlled via separate pop bumper boards, and also have their voltage cut off from the T+Q relays like the flippers.

The lower playfield upkicker is controlled by the K relay instead of a driver transistor.

The lower playfield drop targets are controlled via an underplayfield transistor.

Since so many things have failed it seems unlikely that it's just the driver board. Do you have voltage at all the coils? Have you checked all the fuses? Gottliebs have a lot of fuses all over the place..

#3 3 years ago

The operation of the solenoids work like this on a HH- there is no in-line protection, so if a coil locks on, like those bat targets for instance, or whatever, it will do damage and you will blow some stuff up. It was a bad design, but there are ways to protect it, too.

I would look at the daisy chain of non working coils first, if they even are daisy chained, but I would suspect and pull the fuses and check those first.

Which coil for what went bad?

#4 3 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on the relays; that was the problem! For whatever reason, the Q relay was stuck off, and did not change when actuated. I manually actuated it back on, which apparently unstuck it, and now it works great again.

I'm not entirely sure if the burned out coil was the problem now (maybe it was just a coincidence?), but it was the kicker for the #2 light on the middle playfield.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from lilmul123:

Thanks for the heads up on the relays; that was the problem! For whatever reason, the Q relay was stuck off, and did not change when actuated. I manually actuated it back on, which apparently unstuck it, and now it works great again.
I'm not entirely sure if the burned out coil was the problem now (maybe it was just a coincidence?), but it was the kicker for the #2 light on the middle playfield.

Yeah, it's pretty common for those to get wedged under the plastic, causing the switch to stay stuck and melting the coil and other things. If you put an in line fuse right off the coil with a 2 amp slo blow, if that happens again, it'll just blow the fuse and save things further down the chain.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from lilmul123:

I had this issue. Some things work, some don't. Unless you know about the relays it is a real pain to figure out. When you manually actuate it, it might work for a few days but will probably stick again. What I found is it gets magnetized a bit. I ended up having to take the Q relay completely apart and giving it a good cleaning. When I put it back together all has been well since. There wasn't any dirt on it, but it was sticking to the coil plunger.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside