IMG_1942 (resized).JPG
IMG_1941 (resized).JPG
IMG_1940 (resized).JPG
IMG_1939 (resized).JPG
IMG_1938 (resized).JPG
IMG_1937 (resized).JPG
IMG_1936 (resized).JPG
IMG_1935 (resized).JPG
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

So I just picked up my first early solid state game a sweet Dolly Parton for my wife. Beautiful game, bought it working from a pinball show. The head was removed for shipping, I picked it up today. Set it all up...

The connectors were not all labelled and the ones that were are confusing anyway because it has all aftermarket boards and the labeling doesn't match up.

So, do I have it all connected the way it should? I think so but maybe not...

When I turn it on, it blows fuses right away. First it was F1, then F3 and lastly F6. It lights up for like a second and then poof!

Where does one start from here? Can some one post a picture of there backbox so I can see if its connected properly?

Also I have the ground braid from the cabinet run into the head but not connected to anything, where does this connect?

Thanks

#2 4 years ago
IMG_1934 (resized).JPGIMG_1934 (resized).JPGIMG_1939 (resized).JPGIMG_1939 (resized).JPGIMG_1935 (resized).JPGIMG_1935 (resized).JPGIMG_1936 (resized).JPGIMG_1936 (resized).JPGIMG_1937 (resized).JPGIMG_1937 (resized).JPGIMG_1938 (resized).JPGIMG_1938 (resized).JPGIMG_1940 (resized).JPGIMG_1940 (resized).JPGIMG_1941 (resized).JPGIMG_1941 (resized).JPGIMG_1942 (resized).JPGIMG_1942 (resized).JPGIMG_1943 (resized).JPGIMG_1943 (resized).JPGIMG_1944 (resized).JPGIMG_1944 (resized).JPG
#3 4 years ago

Hope this helps. I've always wanted one myself

#4 4 years ago

Thanks so much, thats exactly what I need. I'm off to get some more fuses and I'll update in a bit.

#5 4 years ago

Be careful if it has a new rectifier board there is an extra 5 volt pin and you can plug that J1 top left in wrong. Let me know if you need more detail.

#6 4 years ago

Ok, got some fuses. Yes, it has all new boards. Ill look at that now.

#7 4 years ago
IMG_1934 (resized).JPGIMG_1934 (resized).JPG
#8 4 years ago

So it should be like that? with the one pin showing? Or not?

#9 4 years ago

Only if you have a brand new rectifier board

#10 4 years ago

One pin showing if it's a new rectifier board. New boards have 9 pins and you have a 8 pin molex. Connect it all the way to the left with that extra pin to the right like my pic. If not you will send 5v to your return buss.

#11 4 years ago

I do. I'll try that.

#12 4 years ago

Fixed! Thanks so much guys, very much appreciated!! The wife will be thrilled now.

#13 4 years ago

#14 4 years ago
20190504_143758 (resized).jpg20190504_143758 (resized).jpg
#15 4 years ago

Wow someone spruced that one up. Very nice. Love me some inline drops. Your wife has good taste. Glad you got it working and hope she beats your score. My wife has been kicking my butt on every pin we have played this week.

#16 4 years ago

Well, it almost works. The drop targets are always down.

#17 4 years ago

Well damn now the fun begins. Maybe a TIP or diode got ruined? Go online and see what controls that coil and start measuring with your multimeter. Or when you turn it off then on and if they reset then possible just a switch adjustment.

#18 4 years ago

I think you can jumper across coil lugs to make it activate and reset coils as well. Also if flippers and bumpers don't work either it's the fuse under the playfield

#19 4 years ago

Everything works except the drops. I'll start looking into...

#20 4 years ago

Any luck?

#21 4 years ago

Run a diagnostic check of the solenoids. Leave drop targets down. With the game powered on push the red button on the inside top of the coin door. 1st push of the button is lights, 2nd is displays and the 3rd push is your solenoids. When #9 shows in the displays, the drop targets should reset. If not, the solenoid isn't working. Lift PF and look at the solenoid to see it looks burnt. Manually raise the drops by moving the lever above the coil to make sure it's not a mechanical issue. With the game powered on check DC voltage on the yellow wire with a multimeter. Should be around 43VDC. Let us know.

#22 4 years ago

Thanks for the advise, I'll try that today. I will say, I did manually lift the targets and they went up easily. I then played a game and knocked them down, each time they went down easy and scored points (and made sounds) So I can rule out mechanical for sure.

#23 4 years ago

OK, ran the diagnostic check, at #9 nothing happens. Checked the voltage and got 46.5VDC. Coil doesn't look burnt though.

#24 4 years ago

I'm still thinking diode on coil or TIP on solenoid board or both. You can check both easily with a meter and both cost pennies.

#25 4 years ago

Excuse the ignorance, what is a TIP and how can I check it?

The diode on the coil is 0.018 both ways.

#26 4 years ago

Run the diagnostic test on the solenoids with the backglass removed so you can watch your solenoid board. On that Alltek, as each solenoid fires the corresponding LED by each transistor will light green if functioning properly. See if any light up red, most likely the Q16 will.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

The diode on the coil is 0.018 both ways.

The diode on that coil is shorted out going by your readings of it.

#28 4 years ago

Red: 3,4,8,9,10,12,13,14,16

Green: 15,19

Seems odd as everything except the drops work.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from namcigam:

The diode on that coil is shorted out going by your readings of it.

All the other diodes are 0.08 which would indicate they have failed too? No?

#30 4 years ago

The diodes should be tested with the power off, right?

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Red: 3,4,8,9,10,12,13,14,16
Green: 15,19
Seems odd as everything except the drops work.

That is actually the correct colors you should see. Green is for continuous coils, like the lock out coil. Red is for momentary coils like pop bumpers. Did any flash really fast, the Q16 controls your drop target reset coil?

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Tip is a series of transistors. Testing found here. http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Testing_a_Transistor.2C_Silicon_Controlled_Rectifier_.28SCR.29_or_Field_Effect_Transistor_.28FET.29

NPN TO-220 package (TIP-31C, TIP-32C, TIP-41C, TIP-102, TIP-122, MJE15030, 2N6043)

Place the black lead of your DMM on the metal tab of the transistor
Probe each of the flanking legs with the red lead
.4 to .6 volts is a normal reading. Readings outside of this range indicate a failed transistor
Probe the center leg with the red lead
A "short" should be seen. If not, then the transistor has failed.

PNP TO-218 and TO-220 package (TIP-36C, TIP-42/A/B/C, TIP-107, MJE15031)

Place the red lead of your DMM on the metal tab of the transistor
Probe each of the flanking legs with the black lead
.4 to .6 volts is a normal reading. Readings outside of this range indicate a failed transistor
Probe the center leg with the black lead
A "short" should be seen. If not, then the transistor has failed.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

The diodes should be tested with the power off, right?

Power off, and out of circuit. Clip at least one leg when you check.

LTG : )

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

That is actually the correct colors you should see. Green is for continuous coils, like the lock out coil. Red is for momentary coils like pop bumpers. Did any flash really fast, the Q16 controls your drop target reset coil?

No, they all flashed the same.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

No, they all flashed the same.

I highly doubt the issue is the solenoid board. Those Alltek boards are rock solid, been using them for years. The way it works is that the solenoids get power continuously. The SDB (solenoid driver board) grounds each coil when the MPU signals it.

It looks like the connectors were replaced. Issue most likely is a bad connector pin re-crimp or wiring.

If the LED's on the SDB flash red quickly, it usually means a shorted coil.

I'll look at the schematic's for continuity tests.

#36 4 years ago

If that J1 got plugged in wrong then 5v went to the buss return I believe and that's why the protection from the fusses blew and probably that diode or possibly the coil as well if they are old.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

If that J1 got plugged in wrong then 5v went to the buss return I believe and that's why the protection from the fusses blew and probably that diode or possibly the coil as well if they are old.

I have to think this is the issue. It was plugged in wrong and blew 3 fuses.

#38 4 years ago

Make sure your meter has a diode setting like mine and then make sure black is on banded side. That's that grey band I circled

IMG_1948 (resized).JPGIMG_1948 (resized).JPGIMG_1949 (resized).JPGIMG_1949 (resized).JPG
#39 4 years ago

Diodes only read one way when good at.6 if you swap the red and black you shouldn't get .6

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I highly doubt the issue is the solenoid board. Those Alltek boards are rock solid, been using them for years. The way it works is that the solenoids get power continuously. The SDB (solenoid driver board) grounds each coil when the MPU signals it.
It looks like the connectors were replaced. Issue most likely is a bad connector pin re-crimp or wiring.
If the LED's on the SDB flash red quickly, it usually means a shorted coil.
I'll look at the schematic's for continuity tests.

Those pictures are not my machine. The game worked well before I bought it, so I'm guessing it was plugging that connector in wrong that caused this. How is one to know this? Kinda ticked about it really, wish he would have said something.

#41 4 years ago

People should clip that extra leg. Hell I should go through and clip that extra leg in case I ever sell or forget myself

#42 4 years ago

Yeah, I have a Snap-on multimeter with the diode feature but it appears I have to cut the diode off to test it properly...

Then solder it back on?

I have no extra parts and it takes weeks to get them for me...

#43 4 years ago

It's the only way to know. Start there you could de solder the coil lugs and unwrap it. You could start with the TIP that controls that coil operation then the diode then the coil. I have extra diodes and TIP if you need and would be faster I could put them in a regular envelope and mail them to you. Either way you have to start somewhere to see what all got damaged. I'm hoping just that diode they can be sensitive but that's why they are there

#44 4 years ago

Testing a TIP

IMG_1950 (resized).JPGIMG_1950 (resized).JPGIMG_1951 (resized).JPGIMG_1951 (resized).JPG
#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Those pictures are not my machine. The game worked well before I bought it, so I'm guessing it was plugging that connector in wrong that caused this. How is one to know this? Kinda ticked about it really, wish he would have said something.

Did the connectors not have keying plugs in them to prevent misalignment? The rectifier J1 (top left) should have a key plug on the 4th opening from the left.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Did the connectors not have keying plugs in them to prevent misalignment? The rectifier J1 (top left) should have a key plug on the 4th opening from the left.

No they did not, so I hooked it up as it should be. Bad mistake...

#47 4 years ago

Removed the coil, removed the diode, .581 one way, 0 the other. Seems that's ok?

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Testing a TIP
[quoted image][quoted image]

Do I have to remove it from the board?

#49 4 years ago

No you don't

#50 4 years ago

Ok, that's got to be it then. All the TIP's register at 1.5ish, except Q16 which is 0. Previously stated that is what controls the drops, so I guess I need to order a new one. Not sure I'm capable of soldering it back to the board though..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-got-a-bally-dolly-parton-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.