(Topic ID: 166323)

Just for fun- where is the Red Button on Pat Lawlor games?

By Nevus

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bart0404
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3053EFF3-380D-470D-BB9E-90FE70C8CB53 (resized).jpeg
20180831_072811[1] (resized).jpg
20180831_072844[1] (resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
NGG_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
0014f3807124e0a621cc2271e129e62aab26beff_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

I realized that I've had several Pat Lawlor games and not looked for the Red button. To date I've owned: TZ, Whirlwind, Banzai Run, Safe Cracker. In Funhouse, it's the classic button on a stick. Here's what I found just viewing a friend and looking at my own games. Please correct my mistakes.

Post a pic and the location of the button.
Banzai Run: next to the throttle.

image_(resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

Safe Cracker: look at the truck.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I realized that I've had several Pat Lawlor games and not looked for the Red button. To date I've owned: TZ, Whirlwind, Banzai Run, Safe Cracker. In Funhouse, it's the classic button on a stick. Here's what I found just viewing a friend and looking at my own games. Please correct my mistakes.
Post a pic and the location of the button.
Banzai Run: next to the throttle.

WW: guy in the van ho,ding the button.

0014f3807124e0a621cc2271e129e62aab26beff_(resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago

Funhouse: In Rudy's hand.

image_(resized).jpeg

#5 3 years ago

NASCAR: just in the little PLD logo. It's hard to see in the photo, but it has a little hand with a button.

image_(resized).jpeg

#6 3 years ago

Road Show: Pat Lawlor himself can be seen driving in his red Corvette (with the license plate "GAME BIZ"), holding the red button in his hand. He's below the Carlene Carter billboard on the left, between the police motorcycle and the smashed taxi cab.

image_(resized).jpeg

#7 3 years ago

Never noticed that on his games. Kind of odd. What is the story behind it?

#8 3 years ago

NGG obvious Gopher doing th explosion

NGG_(resized).jpg

#9 3 years ago

Also noticed some pinky fists. What's the backstory behind those?

#10 3 years ago

On TZ, the dummy/doll sitting on the shelf has the red button in his hand.

#11 3 years ago

https://images.pinside.com/2/98/29805a72b924627abd71efef32412a9efd4c0502/resized/large/29805a72b924627abd71efef32412a9efd4c0502.jpeg
On safe cracker BG the robot dog seems to have a red button on its back.and the burgler on the rope has one in his hand.

#12 3 years ago

I couldn't find one on Addams Family. I thought for sure Uncle Fester would have one. Then I thought Wednesday would have it. Maybe a door bell? Nope.
Try searching for it.

#13 3 years ago

Also interested to know the back story

#14 3 years ago

And the pinkies.

image_(resized).jpeg

1 year later
#15 1 year ago

Does Dialed In! have one anywhere?

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from dluth:

Does Dialed In! have one anywhere?

Yes. As in "Nascar, it's also in the "PLD" logo on the bottom right of the translite.

1 month later
#17 1 year ago

I noticed over the weekend on Houdini there is an image of a finger pressing a button in a lock on the playfield & wonder now if it was a reference or homage of some type .... probably not but it caused me to think of this thread

5 months later
#18 1 year ago
20180831_072811[1] (resized).jpg20180831_072844[1] (resized).jpg
#19 1 year ago

Great find. I’ve owned a Safecracker and didn’t remember spotting that coin.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Great find. I’ve owned a Safecracker and didn’t remember spotting that coin.

I just got mine on Monday ,& this just happened to be one of the first ones dispensed during a game ... I looked at it & said Wow! as I immediately thought of this thread again

#21 1 year ago

What is the backstory on the button?

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Navy_AT1:

What is the backstory on the button?

IDK ....... someone should ask Lawlor about it

1 month later
#23 1 year ago

Here’s the proper Dialed In! one.

3053EFF3-380D-470D-BB9E-90FE70C8CB53 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#24 1 year ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

IDK ....... someone should ask Lawlor about it

Not sure if you were being sarcastic on this reply or not..but I have been intrigued by the red button since the 1980s when i first noticed they were on all the williams pinball machines, before such easy info was available on the internet. Then I discovered it was all done by Pat Lawlor. He has been asked about the red button more than once, and he will never answer. Its like asking Robert Plant the true meaning of Stairway to Heaven or something, its not something he wants to put out there. As a person who spent literally hundreds of dollars on pinball over the years I have a theory as to what the red button is...its always about 'amusement devices' which are designed to take your money as fast as possible. I suspect that either by magnets or deliberate design there is an aspect to the machines designed to limit the amount of time you get to play, and like modern claw machines, stacker games, other arcade redemption machines of late, a certain number of plays were allowed to let you 'win' if you had the skill. I especially felt this way after having a 400 million game in the arcade of Twilight Zone, followed by a 100k point game the next quarter. I think Pat was the quintessential pinball designer and knew both the playfield and electronic side of things that could make sure you didnt have a game longer than 2 minutes most of the time...and that is what the red button represents. It always is represented by some sneaky looking figure on the backglass, who is more in control of the machine than you are. Chuckie is the perfect example, a carnival barker trying to get you to come in the funhouse. That motherf$cker. I loved hitting him in the mouth. And Twilight Zone was the ultimate Williams and Pat Lawlor love letter to pinball, as when you played it being a veteran Williams pinball player you would recognize all the samples from the other machines, and the cows. That f$cking red button. I always knew there was something to it....but Hey, its only Pinball!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 149.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 45.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 289.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside