Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DS_Nadine
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

In games like White Water, Addams Family, Ghostbusters, MM, AFM, etc, the pops aren't that valuable or important for big scores. They're not nothing, but they're not the centerpiece of anyone's scoring strategy. The same goes for most games, I think. What are the biggest exceptions?

Very important:
Lexy Lightspeed: Escape from Earth
Buccaneer

Only kinda important:
Guardians of the Galaxy (for Yaka Arrow and Antiquities Shop)
TNA (for a jackpot shot, sometimes)

The amber bonus on the new Jurassic Park might shape up to be kinda important, only time will tell.

What else?

PS: I'm not counting games where the pops are only valuable because they let you get more rollovers, like TOM or whatever.

#2 4 years ago

Pops can score big in Funhouse during frenzy - you're not specifically targeting them, but they are a good way to build switch hits rapidly.

#3 4 years ago

The Hobbit has modes tied to the pops and gives you a chance for a extra ball.

#4 4 years ago

I suppose you need to get in the pops to get the bats on Bram Stoker's Dracula. So any game with an important switch frenzy mode and no spinner counts for this.

#5 4 years ago

CFTBL: More valuable than you think, but still not super valuable.

Most machines with a Super Jets mode (e.g., I500, IJ, AFM, etc.)

Random Gottliebs at semi-random times (e.g., Robo-War when flashing, Genesis in MB with a bunch of other playfield X, Super Orbit when flashing, etc.)

Tons and tons of EMs

#7 4 years ago

The original JP you had to send the ball to the pops to get Timmy off the fence during that mode.

TSPP makes great use of the pops to hit the extend timer target, otherwise unreachable and critical to the game if you need to extend your timer.

#9 4 years ago

Dragon by interflip

#10 4 years ago

WWF Royal Rumble. Sleeper pops, pop bumper millions, and pop hits are a main goal for the wizard mode.

#11 4 years ago

As mentioned above, some games like Williams IJ or Dirty Harry will award you a million per pop when "activated." Its all relative though as a million becomes small potatoes when scores can be in the billions.

My memory is fuzzy but I think the upper pop on Flash Gordon lites for a higher score after you knock down all three drops on the upper playfield.

#12 4 years ago

Pretty sure GoT can award an extra ball with the pops. But I dont think they give big points .

#13 4 years ago

Motordome the pops can be worth crazy points if you advance them enough

#14 4 years ago

The newest Star Trek can get the pop bumpers worth quite a bit a certain points of the game.

#15 4 years ago

Demo Man has the "Super jets" mode as well.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Genie, kinda

Yes, and the trick is to have the ball fall out of the pops with the bonus light lit on the drop bank in the lower PF. Without advancing this multiplier, you won't have much of a score. So, yes, the pops in Genie are at least half of the key to a good result. Except that lower one on the left side by that weird outlane. Avoid that whole area if at all possible.

In a lot of the later WMS games the pops build jackpots or bonuses. Addams raises the graveyard battle, and shooting the swamp from the left "Thing flip" flipper can start giving you more points than any of the modes do. Maxed out, that's a 20M shot. Of course this means several trips into the jets, which always have a chance of throwing the ball into an outlane. <i>Greeeeeeed!</i>

CFTBL pops don't do a whole lot until and if you hit the multiball jackpot, but when you do that's a big haul of points.

MB has the Mummy Mayhem mode activated in the pops, and that not only leads to score but is necessary for Monster Bash and Monsters of Rock.

AFM/MM have the two (instead of three-plus) bonus multiplier rollovers, and sending the ball into the jets and bouncing up into the rollovers can build that multiplier up big. On a long ball, that turns into a lot of points in the end. Similarly the pops in BSD are great place to go in the Rats/Bats modes that drive the EOB bonuses. Don't tilt!

#17 4 years ago

Data East Robocop pops will score 3000 per after you hit particular switch. The 3K is good as long as you keep the ball on the play field.

When the ball drains it goes back to small points for the next ball.

#18 4 years ago

Super Pops in Fish Tales can add up, especially during Multiball.

#19 4 years ago

Data East Guns N Roses has pretty high scoring pops.
If you select supper pops they start at 2 million a hit and really make a difference in scoring.

#20 4 years ago

Stern Magic...one pop bumper advances the bonus.

Gtb Sky Jump...although it only scores 100 pts the middle pop bumper also advances the 10x light for the drops for a possible 5000 point drop target.

#21 4 years ago

If you can bring Super Pops into multiball on LW3 (a Leo Getz Mystery Award), they can be pretty valuable.

#22 4 years ago

Stoning mode on Frankenstein.

#23 4 years ago

Maverick. Pops are huge. Super Pops and Mega Pops.

#24 4 years ago

How about Whirlwind? Six pops, and you can get super scoring activated with all six at once!

#25 4 years ago

In Wipeout the pops build the dog bonus after you hit the upper right sling. You have to go through the right inlane to light the dog bonus and then hit a spot target to collect it. I don’t believe there is a limit either to how high you can build it. The biggest I’ve collected is around 75 million.

#26 4 years ago

Super Orbit. When lit (they light/unlight due to switch hits) they are 10,000 a pop. The game is mostly about building bonus and the pops are the best non-bonus way to build points.

#27 4 years ago

Party Zone, way out of control awards stack “million pops” and “10x scoring”
10 mil pops, but that’s when you only get one pop! Not sure if you can do that with double scoring for 20m a pop, but huge points either way

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

Super Orbit. When lit (they light/unlight due to switch hits) they are 10,000 a pop. The game is mostly about building bonus and the pops are the best non-bonus way to build points.

Spring Break gets 10,000 a pop when lit and there is three pops which have to be lit individually till all three are on. And they alternate till all three are on.

#29 4 years ago

You can add a lot park visitors in Roller Coaster Tycoon with the pop bumpers. That increases bonuses and jackpots. They're also set up so that there's a good chance the ball will stay there a while. In addition to that they're worth 1000 points during parts of the game. That can add up pretty quickly. To me they're worth enough to plunge the ball into that area rather than going for the skill shot or the handy man (mode start).

#30 4 years ago

The biggest points you definately get on the huge SEGA DMD.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-for-fun-let-s-list-the-games-where-pop-bumpers-score-big?hl=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.