dorky-nerd-wig.jpg
IMG_0969.jpg
IMG_0966.jpg
IMG_0965.jpg
the_pin.jpg
image.jpeg
date.jpg
met_decal.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#92 8 years ago

Decals are peeling from my Star Trek Pro in exactly the same way. I called Stern to ask what type of adhesive to use, but they said they didn't know. They said they would ask around and call me back, but they didn't. In all fairness, I never followed up because I was hoping to get advice on pinside. I don't want new decals -- too much of a pain to install, and it is only the edge that is peeling. I just want a good fix. If anyone figures it out or knows what to use, I would be very interested. I don't believe this is isolated to a few cases. It seems more and more people are having this issue. Ironically, I would have never noticed mine if I hadn't read a post about it and checked.

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Doesn't all of that "pealing" hurt your ears?

Crap.

#248 8 years ago

Wow, this thread has really exploded. I'm one of the affected owners, and frankly what is done is done with respect to Stern. Should this problem have happened? No. But, now that it has happened, what to do? Stern could send new decals, but I don't want to try to put them on myself. I think it is unrealistic for Stern to send a new back box or anything like that, especially when it is just the edge that is peeling. So, what do I want? A clear answer as to how to fix this. I imagine using the right type of adhesive with the right type of prep should adequately stick the decal back down. Stern should issue a bulletin. Until they do, we as the pinside community should help each other to figure this out rather than debating the merits of good quality control. I'm not an expert here, so don't really know what the fix is. I would really like to hear from people who have had this problem and solved it. Perhaps with some positive comments we can collectively fix the issue in an easy way.

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

I think the problem lies with the surface of the side panels. It's like a textured surface and I think it is causing adhesion issues. I would like for others to check their side panels. I also compared this to the side panels on X-Men. X-Men has smooth non-textured side panels.

Yep, my side panels (Star Trek Pro, manufactured ~July 2014) seem slightly textured. I can't really see them since only the edge is peeling, but I felt the area. It has just a slight roughness to it, but I can imagine that that might make things hard to stick.

So, now what? Would a much stronger adhesive work? I'm happy to try something as long as I know it won't damage anything or make matters worse.

#252 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

You know what forum you are on, right?

I know, but it is worth a shot. We have the brain trust of pinball here. We should be able to figure this out.

Just thinking now: Given the textured surface, would a thicker, more viscose adhesive like rubber cement work well and not damage anything? Perhaps it could fill in some of the spaces.

#302 8 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Ok.... I had the pealing decal issue on my Met pro and here is what I did.
Pealed back the decal half way (easy) than sprayed the decal with some super 77.
Make sure you put some cardboard or something under the decal to catch the over spray.
Slowly with a credit card work the decal back down while removing any bubbles. Repeat on the other half of the decal
than the other side. Whole process took me about an hour. (and I went slow) Looks fine and should last forever!
Yes it sucked that this happened.... Not a big deal and I actually like doing this kind of stuff.

IMG_0965.jpg IMG_0966.jpg IMG_0969.jpg

Do you think you could spray the super 77 on something like a Qtip and just apply to the edge? Only the very edge of my decal is peeling, and I am reluctant to peel it off further.

#310 8 years ago
Quoted from cards25:

I wonder if you just do the edges, will the center then show bubbles when it starts to peel? my guess is to do what dug did and peel the whole thing and spray glue it. That's what I will do with mine. I checked mine after reading this thread the last couple days, and sure enough they are starting to peel around the edges. Build date 4/17/15 - new style backbox.

Maybe, but peeling it all the way back when it is not peeling in those places already makes me very, very nervous.

#336 8 years ago

To me, if I spend a lot of money, do I want peeling decals? No. I also don't want loose connections and other issues. But, hey, it's pinball, so if the game comes with a loose connection, I'll plug it back in and not expect Stern to send me a new machine. What I do expect is great customer service. So, if I have a loose connection, Stern should be on the phone with me if I need the help, help me identify which connection it is, and let me know what to do. From what I've heard, Stern does this.

With the decals, do I expect a new back box? No. But, given how this is not an isolated issue, I want Stern to issue a bulletin telling people what adhesive to use to fix it and the best way to prep the surface and apply the decal. They haven't done that, and when I called, they didn't know what to tell me in terms of adhesive. I haven't tried calling back since there have been more complaints, so I cut them a bit of slack. But, I think what Stern should do is make a repair kit that they can send to people with adhesive, an applicator and instructions. At a minimum, know what to tell people. And, in the future, they need to figure out the issue so it doesn't keep happening.

#360 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Super 77 is not acid free.I personally called the company.After 20 mins on hold.They came back with a "It is not acid free".
"Centerflank" recommends this
"That Helmar V2 vellum is acid free (wife's scrapbooking supplies) so it doesn't deteriorate any of the surfaces it is bonding to".
The acid could eat up the vinyl decal.Centerflank recommended the V2 spray for my Clear Tron disc that I got from him.Acid spray on pinball machines is not recommended.

Crap. I just bought a can of Super 77. Do you really think it might damage the decal? The decal is really thick, as far as decals go, and I'm only doing a bit at the edge.

#365 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Anything pinball=Acid free.Don't want issues down the road.When you cant get replacement parts and might hurt resale.
Everything else=Acid.Could care less about a auto part or a counter top or wallpaper ext....

Ok, thanks. At least my can of super 77 was only $5. . . . I guess I'll just spray something else with it. . . .

1 week later
#417 8 years ago

So, I just tried Super 77 on the small corner that was peeling. I sprayed some into a paper cup to get an appreciable volume and then applied to the side of the back box with a q tip. I then smoothed the corner back in place. Unfortunately, after about an hour, the corner peels again, and the decal looks a little wavy in that place. I also tried this on a few of the edges that were peeling, but I can't get good adhesion. Any tips?

At this point, I think I'm going to ask Stern for new decals, but I'm really not sure I'm capable of applying them in a satisfactory way.

#421 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If you apply them dry using the decal's own glue, you shouldn't have any problem. Just make sure the surface is clean, and use 93% alcohol as the final step before applying the decal.

What about avoiding wrinkles? I'm just worried that I'm going to end up with something that looks worse than I already have.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-fell-victim-to-stern-qc?tu=nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.