dorky-nerd-wig.jpg
IMG_0969.jpg
IMG_0966.jpg
IMG_0965.jpg
the_pin.jpg
image.jpeg
date.jpg
met_decal.jpg
There are 424 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
#301 8 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Nice tip! At least we have a proven method to fix now. One point I'd like to make: You said the decal peeled off easily. That's worth mentioning again. I would venture to say if it was easy to remove, that all pin owners that have these style side panels will have this problem.

Don't know... I have a Star Trek pro and the head decals are fine.
When I say easy, I was able to peal it off with a little force. Not enough that I was worried it would rip.
Easy fix and I'm happy.

#302 8 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Ok.... I had the pealing decal issue on my Met pro and here is what I did.
Pealed back the decal half way (easy) than sprayed the decal with some super 77.
Make sure you put some cardboard or something under the decal to catch the over spray.
Slowly with a credit card work the decal back down while removing any bubbles. Repeat on the other half of the decal
than the other side. Whole process took me about an hour. (and I went slow) Looks fine and should last forever!
Yes it sucked that this happened.... Not a big deal and I actually like doing this kind of stuff.

IMG_0965.jpg IMG_0966.jpg IMG_0969.jpg

Do you think you could spray the super 77 on something like a Qtip and just apply to the edge? Only the very edge of my decal is peeling, and I am reluctant to peel it off further.

#303 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Do you think you could spray the super 77 on something like a Qtip and just apply to the edge? Only the very edge of my decal is peeling, and I am reluctant to peel it off further.

I thought about doing that but decided to just do the whole thing. No way it's going to fall off now.

#304 8 years ago

Ive been running a propane heater and fog machine in my basement for weeks now to see if my decals peel. Ill keep you all posted.

#305 8 years ago

I have a TWD premium that has the head decals coming off. Sucks but I have new decals and all I could think was that I am grateful that the back box doesn't have the bolt heads like the older backboxes do, that would make it much more difficult to replace them. As for now, I'm just leaving them the way they are until I get around to fixing them.

#306 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

because his MetPro is at his house and no longer at the Stern factory? 6 pages on attaching a sticker!

Holy crap no kidding. Lol.

#307 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You fell victim to Aurich Quality Control™!
Seriously, a handful of people had issues with that decal, and no one else (including me on my game) ever did. And I was using quality adhesive vinyl too. It makes me wonder if there isn't something at the Stern factory that's not being cleaned off of some of the games or getting in the air or something that's contaminating the surfaces.

Oh, I wasn't meaning to criticize your decal....just offering a solution for other with Stern decal issues. Super 77 works wonders!

#308 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Oh, I wasn't meaning to criticize your decal....just offering a solution for other with Stern decal issues. Super 77 works wonders!

Oh I know, was just messing around. Seriously though, some people did have issues with mine, and others didn't, and I have no clue what the important variable was. They were all printed on the same paper, so you have to think it was something about application method, humidity, contamination on the machine, something.

#309 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I wonder if you just do the edges, will the center then show bubbles when it starts to peel? my guess is to do what dug did and peel the whole thing and spray glue it. That's what I will do with mine. I checked mine after reading this thread the last couple days, and sure enough they are starting to peel around the edges. Build date 4/17/15 - new style backbox.

#310 8 years ago
Quoted from cards25:

I wonder if you just do the edges, will the center then show bubbles when it starts to peel? my guess is to do what dug did and peel the whole thing and spray glue it. That's what I will do with mine. I checked mine after reading this thread the last couple days, and sure enough they are starting to peel around the edges. Build date 4/17/15 - new style backbox.

Maybe, but peeling it all the way back when it is not peeling in those places already makes me very, very nervous.

#311 8 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

please respond to my inquiry

dorky-nerd-wig.jpgdorky-nerd-wig.jpg

#312 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Maybe, but peeling it all the way back when it is not peeling in those places already makes me very, very nervous.

Just spray what's already peeling and stick it on

#313 8 years ago
Quoted from asay:

I get that it really sucky when you pay that much for something and it turns out being defective, but are there any instances of Stern not making good on something that is their fault?

This is the key post in the thread. While it's ok to vent once in a while, the fact remains that that Stern stands behind their products and will remedy it. Try to work with Stern first before going to the interwebs, and then post about the problem + solution afterwards for everyone's education. Anything short of that is bitching just to bitch.

#314 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

This is the key post in the thread. While it's ok to vent once in a while, the fact remains that that Stern stands behind their products and will remedy it. Try to work with Stern first before going to the interwebs, and then post about the problem + solution afterwards for everyone's education. Anything short of that is bitching just to bitch.

there's nothing wrong with informing people about a problem.
...ever...

#315 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Anything short of that is bitching just to bitch.

not on pinside...no...way. Never.

#316 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

...ever...

Sounds good. Id like to inform you all about this problem where people are excessively bitching about super small problems all the time here.

#317 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Sounds good. Id like to inform you all about this problem where people are excessively bitching about super small problems all the time here.

What's your solution?

#318 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

What's your solution?

Fix it yourself and absolve the manufacturer of all responsibility.

#319 8 years ago

hehehehe....

#320 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Fix it yourself and absolve the manufacturer of all responsibility.

That honestly is a bit of good advice. While people are busy waiting for the manufacture to do something about it, those that fix it themselves are instead enjoying their games.

#321 8 years ago

I'd expect this poor quality 10 years ago when pinball was on a major decline. With so much competition, it won't be long before buyers decide to start spending their money with companies that DO care about quality.

#322 8 years ago

Can you imagine if nobody on Pinside reported any problems they had encountered with their pins? People working together to fix problems is one of the core reasons to be on Pinside. Look at GoT - all the changes that were made because people voiced their opinions/concerns. I mean really, to say not to 'bitch' about a problem seems a bit harsh. I wasn't bitching. I didn't go on a rant or threaten to never purchase a Stern pin again or anything of that nature. I had an issue, and wanted to discuss with my fellow Pinside peers.

Seriously it seems like some people are on Stern's payroll with how much they get bent out of shape about people talking about issues with their pins.

If I'm going to put a post out there telling people of a problem with my pin, and someone has an issue with me doing so, then go somewhere else.

#323 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

...ever...

I agree. I also think this is not a SMALL problem. This is bullshit. Should not happen.

#324 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I agree. I also think this is not a SMALL problem. This is bullshit. Should not happen.

Neither should an unacceptable manufacturing delay on the hobbit which you seem to have one of in your current collection, but hey, shit happens.

#325 8 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Can you imagine if nobody on Pinside reported any problems they had encountered with their pins?

Then people would call support and their distributor...

Quoted from DocRotCod:

People working together to fix problems is one of the core reasons to be on Pinside. Look at GoT - all the changes that were made because people voiced their opinions/concerns.

Let's not get high on ourselves... The only change we can actually confirm is the addition of the useless throne to the pro

#326 8 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Can you imagine if nobody on Pinside reported any problems they had encountered with their pins?

Yea. It's inconceivable that problems got solved before Pinside.

#327 8 years ago

this is what i heard when reading that hehehehe....

inconceivable-1.pnginconceivable-1.png

#328 8 years ago
Quoted from asay:

I get that it really sucky when you pay that much for something and it turns out being defective, but are there any instances of Stern not making good on something that is their fault?
They replaced a bad CPU on my WPT, and that game is almost 10 years old and I'm not the original owner.

Quoted from asay:

They replaced a bad CPU on my WPT, and that game is almost 10 years old and I'm not the original owner.

Yes. Lots of examples posted on pinside. I've experienced this first hand.

#329 8 years ago

ps. hope no one looks at my MMRLE repair kit thread
if they did, i'd be in deeper doo doo than usual...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-nib-repair-kit

#330 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

...ever...

The issue does need to be resolved by Stern, just pointing out that Pinsiders need to make an effort to do it in a constructive way. This is not the first decal peeling thread, and the OP didn't ask for help, so what was the point if not to be negative?

#331 8 years ago

CF - This proves it is impossible for you to post in any thread without bashing Hobbit, even in completely unrelated topics.

#333 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

That honestly is a bit of good advice. While people are busy waiting for the manufacture to do something about it, those that fix it themselves are instead enjoying their games.

When paying close to 8k for this stuff, this kind of stuff is unacceptable. it's not a minor problem either. Should be resolved by the company. If you want to charge ridiculous prices, you have to own up to problems that show up.

#334 8 years ago

Look everyone... When 2 people from Wisconsin (wherever that is ) agree about a pinball topic, ya know it's got to be a real thang. At least that's the only lesson I've ever learned from pinside.

#335 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

When paying close to 8k for this stuff, this kind of stuff is unacceptable. it's not a minor problem either. Should be resolved by the company. If you want to charge ridiculous prices, you have to own up to problems that show up.

Yea thats a great argument. You should have your game in storage while you fight this or with stern and the distributor for a few weeks. In the meantime, anyone else can grab some spray glue, fix the game in 5 or so minutes and be enjoying it while you're battling it out.

And this logic applies to all other simple problems and tweaks needed for new games.

Also, what you paid is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if it's $200 or $20,000 it should be right. It's not like a $4000 game is ok to have peeling decals but because you paid $8000 you're entitled to better. I'm so tired of hearing what someone paid as if it matters. If you don't like the prices you have to pay, don't buy the product. Definitely stop using it as some sort of entitlement crutch.

If someone buys something from me and has problems then I will bend over backwards to help fix it. But if they start with some crap about "I paid a lot" then I'm already done with this person. They can just return it for a refund or I'll wait an extra week to respond.

#336 8 years ago

To me, if I spend a lot of money, do I want peeling decals? No. I also don't want loose connections and other issues. But, hey, it's pinball, so if the game comes with a loose connection, I'll plug it back in and not expect Stern to send me a new machine. What I do expect is great customer service. So, if I have a loose connection, Stern should be on the phone with me if I need the help, help me identify which connection it is, and let me know what to do. From what I've heard, Stern does this.

With the decals, do I expect a new back box? No. But, given how this is not an isolated issue, I want Stern to issue a bulletin telling people what adhesive to use to fix it and the best way to prep the surface and apply the decal. They haven't done that, and when I called, they didn't know what to tell me in terms of adhesive. I haven't tried calling back since there have been more complaints, so I cut them a bit of slack. But, I think what Stern should do is make a repair kit that they can send to people with adhesive, an applicator and instructions. At a minimum, know what to tell people. And, in the future, they need to figure out the issue so it doesn't keep happening.

#337 8 years ago

The peeling decals seem less like a "quality control issue" and more of a "defect", which simply happens. Fortunately, this isn't a major issue and won't require sanding/filling/peeling etc etc. get to it soon, and get some spray glue on there and you'll have no issues ever again.

#338 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

The peeling decals seem less like a "quality control issue" and more of a "defect", which simply happens. Fortunately, this isn't a major issue and won't require sanding/filling/peeling etc etc. get to it soon, and get some spray glue on there and you'll have no issues ever again.

When it happens over and over again it is no longer a defect, it is a QC issue on Stern's part for continuing to use a defective product.

#339 8 years ago

So far for me no decal faults but as of now.... these were Nib bought by me this year. ..Tron had the upper flipper totally not moving at all, had to disassemble and adjust a few times to get working, the Clu light socket was not cutting through to the wires.
Met pro top post was catching the balls and when cycling for missing it would throw it on the plastic next to sparky almost every time ..adjust the post a lot and bend metal rail abit to correct. .further inspection shows me a flaw in the hole for post. Just NOT trimmed out properly.
Ironman middle monger spinner rail was so over bent it wouldn't allow the ball to pass when it paused it for multi ball.
Tdw premium walker head was and still is far from proper adjustment. .disabled barn doors fir now. .maybe that's nicpicking idk
ST pro some light problems. .nothing crazy but hell might as well while we're taking about it. .lol
That's some stuff that shouldn't have passed QC IMO..
The plus i guess is I've learned about how they work lol! Oh wait that's right. ..I'm mad

#340 8 years ago
Quoted from Brazy:

So far for me no decal faults but as of now.... these were Nib bought by me this year. ..Tron had the upper flipper totally not moving at all, had to disassemble and adjust a few times to get working, the Clu light socket was not cutting through to the wires.
Met pro top post was catching the balls and when cycling for missing it would throw it on the plastic next to sparky almost every time ..adjust the post a lot and bend metal rail abit to correct. .further inspection shows me a flaw in the hole for post. Just NOT trimmed out properly.
Ironman middle monger spinner rail was so over bent it wouldn't allow the ball to pass when it paused it for multi ball.
Tdw premium walker head was and still is far from proper adjustment. .disabled barn doors fir now. .maybe that's nicpicking idk
ST pro some light problems. .nothing crazy but hell might as well while we're taking about it. .lol
The plus i guess is I've learned about how they work lol! Oh wait that's right. ..I'm mad

You keep on buying them though!

#341 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Probably switched to a cheaper glue that is saving them $.50 a game...

It may be less about cheaper glue and more about EPA guidelines and the new glues that are "safe" Just don't adhere like the older "cancerous" ones.

#342 8 years ago
Quoted from Brazy:

I have not purchased a Stern, yet... This thread does make me wonder if I ever will. A couple years ago I bought a routed RoadShow and cleaned it all up and it runs great. Probably put $25 in parts in it to get it back to perfect operating order. Main thing damaged was the Ted's bulldozer. It is a 20 year old machine that after many many years of life and play, it still works great. 100 plays on a Stern and it is already breaking

#343 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

You keep on buying them though!

I know right! It's the old. ..don't buy and things will change. .

I'm not one of those kind of haters though, should they leave the factory like that. .no, not at all, but they are fun of course and dang. ..once you start collecting it's addictive!

If i only had endless money, but alas. .I'll save and sell off my musical equipment i guess. .just not all of it!

#344 8 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

It may be less about cheaper glue and more about EPA guidelines and the new glues that are "safe" Just don't adhere like the older "cancerous" ones.

Could be epa guidelines. ..I can say from experience in hvac that the rules change often. People think the old freon cools better than the newer puron..

Buying a new one depends on how much you like the theme i suppose. .no one wants major problems from the get go though but i guess it depends on how people define (big or small) issues.

#345 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yea thats a great argument. You should have your game in storage while you fight this or with stern and the distributor for a few weeks. In the meantime, anyone else can grab some spray glue, fix the game in 5 or so minutes and be enjoying it while you're battling it out.
And this logic applies to all other simple problems and tweaks needed for new games.
Also, what you paid is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if it's $200 or $20,000 it should be right. It's not like a $4000 game is ok to have peeling decals but because you paid $8000 you're entitled to better. I'm so tired of hearing what someone paid as if it matters. If you don't like the prices you have to pay, don't buy the product. Definitely stop using it as some sort of entitlement crutch.
If someone buys something from me and has problems then I will bend over backwards to help fix it. But if they start with some crap about "I paid a lot" then I'm already done with this person. They can just return it for a refund or I'll wait an extra week to respond.

when you have unjustified price increases. You expect to get something for your ass rape. When you go from NIB shipped prices in 2007 at $3400 to my door, for a full complete game and now charge close to 8k just 8 years later. You are looking at close to a 300% price increase in 8 years. Which the price you paid for games in the 70's all the way through to 2007 wasn't even 300% increase through the history of pinball. You really expect something more, to justify that hard core increase. Quality should be the easiest thing.

On the same token, how far will you say it's acceptable to fix it yourself? If you get a NIB game and one of the inserts is missing. Is that acceptable to bitch? After all, it's a 1.40 fix. Just buy an insert and glue it in. Why say anything at all. Or maybe they forgot to put return springs on all the coils. Cheap fix. Why not. Stern can send me a baggie with 15 return springs in, and I can spend the weekend putting them in. Or maybe they forgot to put rubber in the game. or bulbs. Or there isn't any springsteel flaps on a ramp that's suppose to have it. When do you finally say....this is bullshit. Or you just want to piss away your free time fixing and repairing shit, that you shouldn't have, after shelling out for something that you could spend that same money and buy 4 dependable cars with?

#346 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

when you have unjustified price increases. You expect to get something for your ass rape. When you go from NIB shipped prices in 2007 at $3400 to my door, for a full complete game and now charge close to 8k just 8 years later. You are looking at close to a 300% price increase in 8 years. Which the price you paid for games in the 70's all the way through to 2007 wasn't even 300% increase through the history of pinball. You really expect something more, to justify that hard core increase. Quality should be the easiest thing.

This is super irrelevant. If you feel the prices are too high then don't buy. It's clear that you are not getting anything extra for the price. What you do get is clearly advertised. The right to be a cry baby in a forum isn't included in the price

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

On the same token, how far will you say it's acceptable to fix it yourself? If you get a NIB game and one of the inserts is missing. Is that acceptable to bitch? After all, it's a 1.40 fix. Just buy an insert and glue it in. Why say anything at all. Or maybe they forgot to put return springs on all the coils. Cheap fix. Why not. Stern can send me a baggie with 15 return springs in, and I can spend the weekend putting them in. Or maybe they forgot to put rubber in the game. or bulbs. Or there isn't any springsteel flaps on a ramp that's suppose to have it. When do you finally say....this is bullshit. Or you just want to piss away your free time fixing and repairing shit, that you shouldn't have, after shelling out for something that you could spend that same money and buy 4 dependable cars with?

If the inserts are missing, I cannot do a good job replacing those and clear coating the playfield again. Further, that would take more time than hassling it out with stern.

But all the other things you listed I would fix myself in a few minutes. Light bulbs, rubbers, coil springs. I have them all here. It's way quicker to just replace them and enjoy my game than start a forum rant, play phone tag with stern support and my distributor, and then wait for decisions to be made and parts to be shipped.

And btw, I hardly think you can get a "dependable car" for 1/4 the cost of a stern pin. Cars under $2k are all trash and used up. But, if you even have thoughts like this then it's probably best for you not to buy the stern game.

#347 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Which the price you paid for games in the 70's all the way through to 2007 wasn't even 300% increase through the history of pinball.

1978 - $1800 for a KISS pin, equals $6,579 in today's dollars.

2015 - I can buy a KISS Pro for $4800 shipped.

Everyone should decide for themselves which is the better value.....

#348 8 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Ok.... I had the pealing decal issue on my Met pro and here is what I did.
Pealed back the decal half way (easy) than sprayed the decal with some super 77.
Make sure you put some cardboard or something under the decal to catch the over spray.
Slowly with a credit card work the decal back down while removing any bubbles. Repeat on the other half of the decal
than the other side. Whole process took me about an hour. (and I went slow) Looks fine and should last forever!
Yes it sucked that this happened.... Not a big deal and I actually like doing this kind of stuff.

IMG_0965.jpg IMG_0966.jpg IMG_0969.jpg

Super 77 is not acid free.I personally called the company.After 20 mins on hold.They came back with a "It is not acid free".

"Centerflank" recommends this
"That Helmar V2 vellum is acid free (wife's scrapbooking supplies) so it doesn't deteriorate any of the surfaces it is bonding to".

The acid could eat up the vinyl decal.Centerflank recommended the V2 spray for my Clear Tron disc that I got from him.Acid spray on pinball machines is not recommended.

#349 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This is super irrelevant. If you feel the prices are too high then don't buy. It's clear that you are not getting anything extra for the price. What you do get is clearly advertised. The right to be a cry baby in a forum isn't included in the price

If the inserts are missing, I cannot do a good job replacing those and clear coating the playfield again. Further, that would take more time than hassling it out with stern.
But all the other things you listed I would fix myself in a few minutes. Light bulbs, rubbers, coil springs. I have them all here. It's way quicker to just replace them and enjoy my game than start a forum rant, play phone tag with stern support and my distributor, and then wait for decisions to be made and parts to be shipped.
And btw, I hardly think you can get a "dependable car" for 1/4 the cost of a stern pin. Cars under $2k are all trash and used up. But, if you even have thoughts like this then it's probably best for you not to buy the stern game.

Have you repaired decal peeling on a Stern? Maybe just share your method instead of berating those that find it a bigger deal than you do.

#350 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

1978 - $1800 for a KISS pin, equals $6,579 in today's dollars.

2015 - I can buy a KISS Pro for $4800 shipped.

Everyone should decide for themselves which is the better value.....

One might argue that it was a different market back then. In 1978 pinball was hot, arcade games were barely taking off, and routing pinball was profitable (and people rarely bought games NIB). Heck, I think pac-man machines were like $3k back in the day, it surely didn't cost anywhere near that to produce, but they knew they could sell them because you could make your money back in like 3 weeks.

Stern is selling half their production to home buyers, there is no profit to be made, it's strictly a high end toy to buyers on this forum. I think people have higher expectations, especially in a world where manufacturing flaws are highly visible. In 1978, it was also common for 1 out of 10 automobiles to have an issue straight off the factory floor. Today with six sigma, other than recalls, cars are nearly issue free from production.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,600 (OBO)
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 424 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-fell-victim-to-stern-qc/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.