(Topic ID: 251159)

Just entering collecting hobby: Recommendations?

By jacksparrow0112

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Coz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5f2a81d8c8f43fbdb0b3de04136fda2efd0b143ddad8bea5f19b2b555334defc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider looking4firstpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 4 years ago

I was in the same position as you were, with less of a technical background. I have been huge into the hobby for 16 months now, and made the leap about 5 weeks ago to purchase my first machine, which was a NIB Star Wars Pro. I am someone who is not particularly skilled at repairing things, and although I had been saving for a JJPOTC, I settled on buying one of the least populated games in terms of mechs in SW Pro. I thought it would be a good test to see how comfortable I would be making some repairs.

In the 5 weeks, I called a tech on the first day because the flipper assemblies were both not working out of box, primarily due to an issue with the overtightening of the leaf switches at the factory and the switches were pitted. I have been comfortable taking off the glass and lifting the playfield and have done so at least a dozen times primarily to look at the assemblies underneath of out of curiousity and to make some minor adjustments to the game. I just cleaned and waxed the playfield on Sunday, and am loving life having a game in my home.

I am sure there is at least one tech in your area, and I recommend that you confirm that just in case something goes awry that is out of your comfort zone, particularly on a game like Pirates. It’s an addictive hobby though and I am already scouring ads daily for game #2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider looking4firstpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-entering-collecting-hobby-recommendations?tu=looking4firstpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.