(Topic ID: 4142)

Just convinced the wife!!!

By DarthPinhead

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6075.JPG
    mars_trek.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

To get another PIN!!!! Any thought on what we should get? Im a huge SCI-FI/Comic nerd and shes into horror movies and scary halloweeny type stuff. Would like to get a theme she would enjoy as shes only into the hobby for the fun of playing where as I wanna learn how to take them apart and put them back together! Plus I already have my SW machine. I really like the AFM machine but there pretty expensive.

#2 12 years ago

You've got your SciFi themed pin. How about a Frankenstein (lower budget - plays surprisingly well considering who made it), or Scared Stiff (higher budget - nice machine) to get a theme she'll like more? There are a whole bunch of scary-ish themed pins.

Or don't, so maybe she'll let you get another one later with a theme she'd like more

#3 12 years ago

The Addam's family, Tales from the crypt, and Bram Stoker's Dracula are all good and affordable choices.

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

The Addam's family, Tales from the Crypt, and Bram Stoker's Dracula are all good and affordable choices.

ohhhhh Tales from the Crypt that might be cool. Remember watchin that show when I was a little guy

#5 12 years ago

I've got a TFTC in Rockford. You are welcome to come check it out if you want to experience the game play. I only have 3 machines, but it probably gets the most play of the bunch.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from DarthPinhead:

I wanna learn how to take them apart and put them back together!

STTNG especially if you like working on them because there is a lot that can go wrong on STTNG!Great pin,Great theme,Sci-Fi too and its a Steve Ritchie superpin!!

#7 12 years ago

I second both TFTC and Dracula. Both are nice gore/horror themes.

#8 12 years ago

Dracula, good call. They actually pull off the theme great on that one. It's more of a serious/dark one, vs the more light hearted ones I suggested. I hear it takes very well to LED lighting, too.

#9 12 years ago

Scared Stiff seems to be a favourite of the ladies-you would think it would be the blokes choice but I know of two couples where the wife choose Scared Stiff as their game.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from DrAzzy:

I hear it takes very well to LED lighting, too.

What do you mean?

#11 12 years ago

All I can add is the classic Gottlieb Haunted House machine. It's one I just had to get into my collection and probably won't sell. Every Halloween I try to put it out in the garage for the kids to play who come for trick-or-treat. I love the various tiers.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Brokedad:

All I can add is the classic Bally Haunted House machine. It's one I just had to get into my collection and probably won't sell. Every Halloween I try to put it out in the garage for the kids to play who come for trick-or-treat.

How do you like HH? I looked up a few pics of it and it looked small to me.

#13 12 years ago

That the Dracula pin looks very impressive with LEDs installed in it.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

That the Dracula pin looks very impressive with LEDs installed in it.

Do they replace the bulbs? or its entirely different?

#15 12 years ago

Do they replace the bulbs? or its entirely different?

Yes, you would replace the builbs with new led bulbs....They look great in pinball machines. All my machines get converted to led's when I get them. They really do wonders to save Playfield inserts from getting warped and lifted. They don't get as hot as bulbs.

May I suggest Scared Stiff or MB, both are big players for the ladies.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

Yes, you would replace the builbs with new led bulbs....They look great in pinball machines. All my machines get converted to led's when I get them. They really do wonders to save Playfield inserts from getting warped and lifted. They don't get as hot as bulbs.

Do they fit right into where the bulbs were or do you have to get some kind of kit? Does it vary by machine?

#17 12 years ago

They are the same socket size as the regular bulb. Filament is different. You could say they are as easy to replace as changing a light bulb.

#18 12 years ago

How do you like HH? I looked up a few pics of it and it looked small to me.

That's one thing no woman has ever said to me ... exactly the opposite

#19 12 years ago

If you're interested in Haunted House let me know. A friend of mine mentioned that he may be selling his to make room for a different machine. It is well maintained and would make a fine addition to your collection.

Otherwise I would recommend going with MSF personally. I love that machine and plan on adding it to my collection one of these days. It is the machine that first got me interested in pinball so it holds a special place in my heart.

I noticed in another thread that you were also interested in a Star Wars Trilogy machine. There just so happens to be one in Grand Rapids, MI...

grandrapids.craigslist.org link

Also, if you're interested in BSD, I did notice there was a seller in Rock Island, IL a few days back on CL. I think he was looking for just shy of $1,900. May be gone by now, but thought I'd let you know.

Happy hunting!

#20 12 years ago

Do they fit right into where the bulbs were or do you have to get some kind of kit? Does it vary by machine?

They fit in you just need to know which #/type of bulb to order. You can find list of lights and flashers in your manual it will tell you which # bulb goes into each spot. Or you could just order a kit for your machine at cointaker if they have one set up. If you don't have the manual for your game I highly suggest you get it.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I noticed in another thread that you were also interested in a Star Wars Trilogy machine. There just so happens to be one in Grand Rapids, MI...

Yea Im actually emailing him back and forth right now lol. Ill let ya know about that HH thanks but I dont know if I want a machine that old

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

They fit in you just need to know which #/type of bulb to order. You can find list of lights and flashers in your manual it will tell you which # bulb goes into each spot. Or you could just order a kit for your machine at cointaker if they have one set up. If you don't have the manual for your game I highly suggest you get it.

Yea I have the manual. It says I need #555, #47 and I think #89(Im at work and I dont have my manual) so I see on pinballlife.com that its says the bulb number but what does Ablaze-1 or Ablaze-9 mean?

#22 12 years ago

Try Cointaker.com. Pinside members have a discount. Type PINSIDE in all caps in the coupon code at check out.
    They have kits that contain all the led's you would need for your machine....check to see if they have a kit for your pin. After you install the led's from the kit you can go back and change some to your liking.

#23 12 years ago

Just looked they got one for $200 have to do a a couple tattoos then its mine!

#24 12 years ago

I see a Mars Trek is sitting in Peoria for $850 if your feeling adventurous ?
    and also a 68 Funland for $500

#25 12 years ago

oh forgot the photo

mars_trek.jpgmars_trek.jpg

#26 12 years ago

For sci-fi, it's hard to beat T2. (even my wife plays it) My favorite sci-fi EM machine is, of course, Centigrade 37. Art is right out of a Wally Wood EC comic! I'm a film director and am trying to make a pin of one of my sci-fi/horror films. (The Deadly Spawn) I know a guy who has one of those Game Plan Cyclopes machines....but he want's $2,800 for it!

#27 12 years ago

Centigrade backglass (cool animation!)

IMG_6075.JPGIMG_6075.JPG

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

For sci-fi, it's hard to beat T2.

Yea thats on my short list for sure

#29 12 years ago

Ill let ya know about that HH thanks but I dont know if I want a machine that old

BD- he just called you OLD...
    Don't worry pal, HH is still one of my favorites that I would love to have in my collection!
    The PF and artwork is still as fun/cutting edge as the day it rolled off the assembly line IMO...
    It is just so hard to find one here in good/great condition.

As to the question... ($-$$$)
    BSD, EATPM, TAF or SS for her.
    JD, STTNG, TZ or SM for you.

You would both be happy with any of these fine pins!

A little advice though...
    You'd better start saving for JJP's second pin diamondjoe! (you won't want to miss it!!! )

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

You'd better start saving for JJP's second pin diamondjoe! (you won't want to miss it!!! [] )

What is this??

#31 12 years ago

Transformers?

#32 12 years ago

That's the next Stern pin.

The next JJP is supposed to be a non-licensed theme. In other words it should be an original concept. They haven't announced what it is going to be other than that Dennis Nordman (SS) will be doing the design for it.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

The next JJP is supposed to be a non-licensed theme. In other words it should be an original concept. They haven't announced what it is going to be other than that Dennis Nordman

I can't wait to find out what type of pin Nordman will be working on for the next JJP pin!

#34 12 years ago

T2 is a decent table, but I found it lacked depth. It's a table I'd like to have access to, but probably not one i'd want to dedicate scarce space to - especially if I was married to someone who had to be talked into each new pinball machine

Quoted from wesperron:

They certainly can_ look great with some LED brands on some machines. There is debate about how good LEDs look vs bulbs - I don't care for them on my Twilight Zone, though at least in pictures, they look great on Dracula, and i'm sure CV would look spectacular with them too, and I'll bet they'd work great on most SciFi themed pins too (in keeping with the theme, you know?). I think it depends alot on what sort of lighting effects the game likes to use and the theme and color scheme of the game. I've seen some truly hideous pictures of LED-lit machines, with randomly colored leds behind every clear insert on the playfield.

I'm sure they help keep the machine happy by producing less heat, though. I've been considering putting some (quiet) fans in my TZ to cool the playfield and electronics, since I wasn't happy with the LEDs. I'm rather amazed that they don't put a fan in pinball machines as a stock component - Maybe due to fan reliability issues?

#35 12 years ago

I'm really surprised I haven't seen this listed for the horror-themed pins yet here. Freddy: A Nightmare on Elm Street.

I, being probably the largest E.S. fan on here (assuming that) will defend this one. Yes, it's not the "greatest machine" nor will it rack up with TZ or TAF in terms of popularity, but it's a fun/solid machine with Freddy's head taunting you throughout the game. Plus, the claw save is very cool.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-convinced-the-wife and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.