Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Hdmike444
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 30 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-395.jpg
image-442.jpg
image-664.jpg
image-408.jpg
image-183.jpg
image-62.jpg
image-52.jpg
image-355.jpg
image-742.jpg
image-731.jpg
image-235.jpg
image-438.jpg
image-292.jpg
image-764.jpg
image-631.jpg
image-989.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Bought a SS on Craigslist and it is in ok condition. It needs a backglass and the playfield has a lot of planking, and it's filthy. I brought it home and with a little wiggling it fired up and played a game. Everything is sluggish and dirty but all seemed to work except a couple switches and bulbs. The shuttle is ok, useable at least. The ramp is cracked at the entrances so I will probably swap it out since repros are available. Needs to be torn down and cleaned and shopped but overall probably could be worse. The cabinet is actually not that bad, a little faded but overall fairly decent. It will be a fun project(I hope) to do my first full playfield tear down. Seems like it's a fairly easy one to take apart and put back together.
It does have a chia pet growing at the battery holder but the boards already out and getting dropped off tomorrow to be tested and serviced. It looks worse than it is.

If anybody has spare parts kicking around that they are looking to get rid of let me know.

image-914.jpg image-498.jpg image-645.jpg image-325.jpg image-108.jpg image-378.jpg image-432.jpg image-891.jpg image-965.jpg image-855.jpg image-550.jpg image-627.jpg image-617.jpg image-989.jpg image-994.jpg image-631.jpg image-438.jpg image-292.jpg image-764.jpg image-235.jpg
#2 5 years ago

Congrats love me some Space Shuttle.

#3 5 years ago

Great pickup. I love space shuttle, thanks for posting. Ed

#4 5 years ago

Wow. It's obviously had some plays as it has the normal signs of wear but absolutely NO wear around the grid of lights between the slingshots.. which is rare. They're usually blown out in that area. Fine example you have.

#5 5 years ago

Congrats! The pin that saved pinball!~SpOoKy

#6 5 years ago

Congrats, good luck with restoration. Keep us posted on your progress.

#7 5 years ago

Congrats looks like a solid player. Or good restore candidate.

#8 5 years ago

Has anybody used the repro ramps from pinball inc? Are they a good fit? Is it worth getting the shuttle as well?

#9 5 years ago

Nice grab, couldnt go wrong for the price.

Good luck getting her up and running.

#10 5 years ago

Price was great I got it for $200.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Has anybody used the repro ramps from pinball inc? Are they a good fit? Is it worth getting the shuttle as well?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-repo-ramp-modification-guide

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I followed Vid's guide and it worked perfectly. One thing noone mentions is the thicker ramp is a tight fit between the rubbers. The middle ramp sits between posts and rubbers on each side. You'll dry fit the ramp on the unpopulated playfield after routing and then be shocked when you go to install it when you have to really force it down into position. At least I was.

#13 5 years ago

Nice score Mike! I should have jumped on that one myself but you're too quick!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

You can get the ramp from bay as well:
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-SPC-D-10654

Both the shuttle and ramp is made from material 2-3 times as thick (hence why you need to follow Vid's thread if you do install), so I would get a shuttle too (comes with new decals too). The new ones are so much stiffer and strong than the originals, and even if the shuttle isn't cracked to hell the back always yellows (as yours does). I assume if it needs a backglass you'll be ordering that too? Better hurry up and order a backglass before it's unavailable.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1315-535

#15 5 years ago

To be honest, your playfield isn't that bad. A novus job will do wonders - many of these are wrecked beyond belief. You'll probably need a new CPU at some point though...

Nice pickup!

#16 5 years ago

Wow, you weren't kidding about the chia pet. Never heard of that brand of battery before. Thunderbolt and lightning....very very frightening!

Anyway, good score. I paid about the same for mine 15 years ago and yours is in better shape!

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

many of these are wrecked beyond belief.

Ha, you mean like mine:
http://pinballproject.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/spaceshuttledisassembly4.jpg

That is indeed a pretty nice game you got Hdmike444! Amazing that the red on the cabinet still looks red and hasn't faded to light pink Congrats on a great find.

Andre

#18 5 years ago

For Space Shuttle, that's a decent PF. Good grab. Look forward to seeing how well the battery area cleans up.
-mof

#19 5 years ago

I dropped off the board today to get cleaned and serviced and was told it's going to be fine and there was actually no major damage. Very happy about that. Not sure if I'll save the ramp and shuttle or go new. And I want the new backglass but just not sure I want to spend the $240 plus shipping.

#20 5 years ago

Nice pick up on a "skinny sided backbox" SS. LOVE mine. With leds in the inserts it really pops. To put flasher leds in the hotdog shaped inserts you'll have to take the warming resistors out of the circuit.

#21 5 years ago

Nice all the ones I have seen have pretty heavy wear by the flippers

#22 5 years ago

Before and after of the board, now working 100%
image-355.jpgimage-742.jpgimage-731.jpg

#24 5 years ago

That cleaned up really nice! It totally looked worse than it ended up being, eh?

#25 5 years ago

It was actually worse than it looked but I have a friend who is great at board repairs. He excels at that type of stuff. It works great now. I installed it and tested the switches and solanoids in the game. Now it's time to tear it down.
I hit a small area of the playfield with novus and it's going to clean up real nice.

#26 5 years ago

Ive never done any thing like this before, but why didnt your friend move the batteries off-board so they dont leak again down the road? Just curious. Glad it cleaned up nice for you! Good luck with the rest of the restore.

#27 5 years ago

congrats on a great game, I just picked up a space shuttle from a member on this site and it was in pretty good shape, someone before him did a terrible job clear coating the playfield, I wet sanded that off and I actually used an overlay sticker kit from ebay ebay.com link it lined up pretty good and looks great, they also have other parts for this pin, good luck with it!

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Ive never done any thing like this before, but why didnt your friend move the batteries off-board so they dont leak again down the road? Just curious. Glad it cleaned up nice for you! Good luck with the rest of the restore.

As long as the batteries are checked and maintained they are fine, problems usually arose when they sat for long periods of time. Also I prefer to keep the holder on the board and use the clip in remote holder that can be located inside the coin door.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

As long as the batteries are checked and maintained they are fine, problems usually arose when they sat for long periods of time. Also I prefer to keep the holder on the board and use the clip in remote holder that can be located inside the coin door.

Ok sounds good. I was just curious. Just seemed like the perfect while you were at it type thing to do.

#30 5 years ago

If the blocking diode fails (as it often does), most batteries leak in less than a month.

ALWAYS move the batteries off board.

#31 5 years ago

Agreed, I will have the batteries off the board. I use a remote battery that sits by the coin door that clips into the original battery holder. This way the original battery holder stays where it is.

#32 5 years ago

Like Vid says,don't tempt fate.Move that battery off board.Count your blessings and quit while you are ahead or sooner or later you will have a corroded and messed up board again.

#33 5 years ago

image-52.jpg
This is what I use so the batteries are NOT on the board.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

This is what I use so the batteries are NOT on the board.

image-52.jpg 347 KB

Thats cool. Never seen anything like that.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Thats cool. Never seen anything like that.

Oh yeah, you can make it yourself for like 2 bucks.

#36 5 years ago

I bought a few here on pinside. If you search I think you can still get them. It's a great idea, and I just keep them and put them in whichever pins I have.

#37 5 years ago

Does it matter that the game expects 3 batteries and the adapter only has 2 to plug in? Looks like the adapter has room for 3 in the box. Again im a new to this. So forgive me if thats a dumb question.

#38 5 years ago

The two end fake batteries are important, the center "battery slot" does not need a connection.

#40 5 years ago

I started tearing down, and novus is making a huge difference in the play field. I suspect it will look pretty good considering the condition.
The pics don't show very wellimage-408.jpgimage-62.jpgimage-183.jpgimage-664.jpg

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I bought a few here on pinside. If you search I think you can still get them. It's a great idea, and I just keep them and put them in whichever pins I have.

Taylor makes these in batches from time to time. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-no-solder-remote-battery-holders-made-another-batch

#42 5 years ago

I think that's where I got them thanks

#43 5 years ago

Very nice score! I picked up a SS last fall and just started the process of bringing it back to life. Welcome to NASA!

#44 5 years ago

Starting to re assemble after the tear down. Playfield is cleaned, touched up and waxed.
I'm going back with regular bulbs now but I think I might add LEDs later.image-442.jpgimage-395.jpg
Not the best touch up job but it's my first so I'm cutting myself some slack. This is not a collector quality.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Sale Pending!
Fort Wayne, IN
1,600 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Champaign, IL
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
2,200 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Ham Lake, MN
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside