View topic image gallery

P1010003.JPG
P1010001.JPG
photo.jpg
photo_(3).JPG
photo_(2).JPG
IMG_0218.jpg
rfm_12-21-2012_038.jpg
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

The only "mods" I would suggest (if not already done) is replace the power supply if original. Also replace the CPU cooling fan as well. If you have a couple old sticks or RAM to add to the mother board it will speed it up a tad.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

If you have a couple old sticks or RAM to add to the mother board it will speed it up a tad.

Really? any idea what kind it takes?

#54 11 years ago

OK, Here are some pics. One of the Chassis ( I could not find any labels.) And two of a mystery plug and the recepticle for it. anyone know what the plug is? It was not connected and the game works. I don't want to hurt anything re connecting it. photo_(2).JPGphoto_(2).JPG photo_(3).JPGphoto_(3).JPG photo.jpgphoto.jpg

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

Really? any idea what kind it takes?

If memory serves me correctly....pun intended.

RAM is :SDRAM PC100 DIMM / 168 pin PC100

Power supply is the ATX form factor.

#56 11 years ago

Thanks cal50! I never heard of the RAM mod before. I bet I have some old sticks in a drawer somewhere.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Thanks cal50! I never heard of the RAM mod before. I bet I have some old sticks in a drawer somewhere.

Not really a mod but if your motherboard has an open slot and your have a stick of old RAM laying around that fits plug it in.

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Not really a mod but if your motherboard has an open slot and your have a stick of old RAM laying around that fits plug it in.

I noticed that after I upgraded to 1.5, the pop bumpers would totally slow down all the animation happening on the video. Will extra ram fix this issue, do you think?

#59 11 years ago

The obsolete video system repairs is what keeps me from buying this, my favorite game....I am starting to look for an AFM. Unless I find RFM all decked already...but after all that work they might be alot more expensive.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

The obsolete video system repairs is what keeps me from buying this, my favorite game....I am starting to look for an AFM. Unless I find RFM all decked already...but after all that work they might be alot more expensive.

Ya worry too much.

Just dive in. You can buy three RFM's for what one AFM will cost you.

#61 11 years ago

No thoughts on that mystery plug? I can't find reference to it in the manual

#62 11 years ago

People, people, people. Let me me show you TRUE Revenge From Mars Respect:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike217/sets/72157627703941873/show/

GREAT game period. No one restores these to flip. I bought this a year old in 2000. Played it for 12 years and finally gave it the respect it deserved. I've had 100's of pins. RFM is still in my house.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

GREAT game period. No one restores these to flip. I bought this a year old in 2000. Played it for 12 years and finally gave it the respect it deserved. I've had 100's of pins. RFM is still in my house.

AWESOME!!! Love the chrome cabinet accent.

I look forward to restoring mine some time in the next year...

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

No thoughts on that mystery plug? I can't find reference to it in the manual

There are often unused plugs in any machine. It's usually just the factorys way of leaving room for upgrades or the next model. If you need help with your RFM just PM me. I'll open mine up and verify anything you need.

#65 11 years ago

I just looked at mine. It's a Ducksan. The comparable connecter on mine has two black wires. Yours is most likely a WG.

P1010001.JPGP1010001.JPG P1010003.JPGP1010003.JPG

#66 11 years ago

I'll check a WG monitor at work tomorrow. I'm not a vid expert but that just doesn't look right. There won't be any monitor references in the pin manual, they are seperate

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I noticed that after I upgraded to 1.5, the pop bumpers would totally slow down all the animation happening on the video. Will extra ram fix this issue, do you think?

I was running 1.5 with an added RAM stick and never experienced any slow downs you described.
I have never heard of an instance where added RAM slowed a PC down so I would recommend it.

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

OK, Here are some pics. One of the Chassis ( I could not find any labels.) And two of a mystery plug and the recepticle for it. anyone know what the plug is? It was not connected and the game works. I don't want to hurt anything re connecting it.

If you do not see any external tags or decals the chassis manufacture and model number will be on the chassis board itself. It could also have some markings on the neck board that is plugged into the rear of your CRT tube. Mine had a Samsung monitor with a Duckscan chassis.

A lot of people say the Duckscan chassis is a turd but I went thru mine and it was bulletproof and produced a great image on the display .

If you have never worked on a CRT tube display, chassis or neck board you want to BE SURE to discharge the CRT tube before fooling around with it. Not hard to do and not dangerous to do either. Be aware that the Ducksan chassis has a fuse mounted on the chassis (soldered) on.
Its possible to blow this fuse and the capacitors on the chassis board NOT discharge when the power is switched off. If this fuse it "good" when the game is turned off the capacitors on the chassis discharge to ground. If this fuse is blown some of the chassis caps still hold a charge and will bite you when touched...I know this.

#69 11 years ago

The plug is most likely the degaussing coil. Where do the red and white wires go? Trace them, if they go to a coil that goes around the tube then it is the degaussing coil. Hard to say why it was unplugged. - Barry

#70 11 years ago

That is a GREAT lookin game pinballmike! Gorgeous playfield!. I finally found the appropriate labels. I have a wells Gardner monitor. Is this horizontal position issues really an indicator of a cap job needing done? Or is something out of whack on the monitor board?

I just plugged in that mystery cable too, since yours is plugged in. No change to anything I can detect.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from bflagg:

The plug is most likely the degaussing coil. Where do the red and white wires go? Trace them, if they go to a coil that goes around the tube then it is the degaussing coil. Hard to say why it was unplugged. - Barry

Yup. That's where it goes. I think it was unplugged when we detached the head for transport.

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Whoa! I definitely like the chrome trim.

#73 11 years ago

If you need help with the monitor I suggest going to KLOV and posting something in the monitor tech section. People are typically really helpful there.

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

If you need help with the monitor I suggest going to KLOV and posting something in the monitor tech section. People are typically really helpful there.

Thanks. I'll do that. ( i didn't know if our kind was welcome over there

#75 11 years ago

I FIXED IT. there is a pushbutton switch on the monitor board that when depressed, calibrates the horizontal position all the way left. I just switched it back and now I can adjust the h-position normally. I love easy fixes!

6 months later
#76 10 years ago

is this the proper ram to use to upgrade the computer in revenge from mars?
ebay.com link: ws

#77 10 years ago

What do these pin 2000 machines weigh?

#78 10 years ago

I think they are only 360lbs

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

is this the proper ram to use to upgrade the computer in Revenge From Mars?
Ebay link

I would love to know this as well. I need to upgrade my ram on RFM. Your link takes us to a removed item though.

#80 10 years ago

Why would you need to upgrade your RAM?

Jaz

#81 10 years ago

I'm not sure why the link won't work. here's the item no.

jaz:
I believe that the machines were only shipped with 128MB of ram (remember, we're talking 13 years ago). according to the spec sheet, the motherboard has 2 slots which can accommodate 256MB (each)

like any pc, the more ram that you have, the less swapping in and out of memory that has to occur

#82 10 years ago

I pulled the pc out of my revenge tonight (which was shockingly clean with absolutely no dust or dirt at all :O) from what I can gather, the pc's came with a whopping 64MB of memory (one 168-pin pc100 8ns dimm containing 4 16MB surface mount packages)

according to the cyrix tech sheet found here:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_2000_Repair#Technical_Info

the motherboard has 2 x 168 pin DIMM sockets which support 16 / 32 / 64 / 128 / 256 MB DIMM modules

I'm going to take the plunge and order from the ebay link that I posted above. worst case scenario is that I'm out $10

I'll let everyone know if they work once I receive them

#83 10 years ago

deleted

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_2000_Repair#Video_Amplifier
That was my RFM and I wrote the Wiki entry.
The video Amp makes a HUGE difference in the picture quality. Its a mod that if you are handy its worth the effort. Also just on age alone if your chassis and neck board have the original capacitors it would be a good time to order replacements from Mouser and swap them out for a bullet proof chassis with a damn nice picture.
I swapped my RFM so hopefully the new owner is enjoying it. He did have my modded RFM next to his stock RFM and he said the picture was night & day difference.

I did the video amp mod 3 years ago and posted video of the before and after. Best 30 bucks I spent on it (other than the Ung mod).

1 week later
#85 10 years ago
#86 10 years ago

I also have fully tested RAM modules for P2K games. I'll sell them for $10 each shipped. Again, these are fully tested to work in P2K games, no need to worry about bad modules or incompatibility with these.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I had the same issue and upgraded the memory and CPU. It did NOT correct the issue. Only fix is to go Nucore or turn that option (Jet Bumper Scoring) off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 85.00
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-bought-revenge-from-mars/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.