New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 266263)

just bought first pin and all hell broke loose.talk me off the edge

By Kkoss24

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Nokoro
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Nothing is fucked.gif
C6D7EED2-17A7-487E-B5C5-426E0BE465A2 (resized).jpeg
0C1D0036-41E2-49B4-A479-A68FCA669938 (resized).jpeg
6526B3C6-6207-4CC1-808B-6C1B036BCA06 (resized).jpeg
7C83D99D-34C5-4CFF-8EB0-AB808188B270 (resized).jpeg
B6594F3B-6CFB-4109-8036-98455C6C4FF8 (resized).jpeg

#1 6 months ago

I just bought my first pin WOZRR .i made the mistake of purchasing without knowing what to look for that’s on me..got it home and a bunch of problems .now have to find a tech to fix I’m sure for big $$ ..why should I take this up for a hobby ? I’m completely crushed !! I was so exited to get into this now I’m wondering why ...do all machines need constant work ? I’d appreciate any input

B6594F3B-6CFB-4109-8036-98455C6C4FF8 (resized).jpeg
#2 6 months ago

Congrats.

What issues are you having? LTG can definitely help out.

#3 6 months ago

People on here can definitely help. What's are the problems? Can you take pics of the issues as well?

#4 6 months ago

The N and B stay red,oz not lighting up,crystal ball not working,tornado not spinning,bad switch return mid left,the bricks leading up to 1 on spiral stay same color ,a few others ...my kid played it when we picked it up I made mistake of not looking for things like I said it’s on me but this is depressing...I want to get into learning how to work in them but don’t know how to start ..

#5 6 months ago

I’m 50 and am real exited about this and my 2 boys 11 and 12 are exited...I just woke up to pinball and these new games are unreal ..I don’t want to slump over this I want to get it fixed and learn ..I just don’t know where to start ..I know how to run the diagnostics where do I order parts if I want to tackle this myself?

#6 6 months ago

I’ll help on the most obvious. The tornado doesn’t spin.

#7 6 months ago

Please excuse I’m as green as can be ..lmao...I’m not giving up I’m buying a second from work friend Metallica prem.I made room for 4 just finishing basement .i live in northwest Indiana moved from Chicago recently and pinball (don’t remember how) has just taken me over ...Am I better off purchasing at higher prices from dealer say great American pinball...I was taking with them was gonna take kids there to play games and buy one before the covid happened ...then jumped on this long story but wanted this for someone special before I got what I wanted ...anyway can anyone guide me to say a book on how to work on modern machines and how to find parts needed ?thanks a bunch

#8 6 months ago

Lmao...I mean I’m really green!! ...thank you

#9 6 months ago

Start checking all connections under play field. Things probably came loose during the move assuming everything worked fine at sellers place. Just start pushing ALL connectors tight and see what happens

#10 6 months ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Start checking all connections under play field. Things probably came loose during the move assuming everything worked fine at sellers place. Just start pushing ALL connectors tight and see what happens

Actually start in the diagnostic screen. Sorry, someone this new should Last resort to messing with plugs till they know if anything is actually wrong. Sounds like the insert lites are correct, Crystal ball is Mode based so until you Earn it yes it’s off. I suspect you should learn (read) in some videos or the club thread what the game is Supposed to do before messing with it. When you turn the game On it will tell you if there are any errors. Many of what you noted I suspect are simply lack of knowledge of what the game should do.

And FYI, you have the best dealer just south of you In Indiana. Flipnoutpinball

#11 6 months ago

Thank you ...Ill start with that I did have a 2.5 hr ride home n had to lug that machine into house myself.I made a ramp out of wood never felt was being reckless went smooth..How far will the Playfield pull out in order to work on it ? I don’t want to screw it up any more than it is

#12 6 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Thank you ...Ill start with that I did have a 2.5 hr ride home n had to lug that machine into house myself.I made a ramp out of wood never felt was being reckless went smooth..How far will the Playfield pull out in order to work on it ? I don’t want to screw it up any more than it is

Still say you Don’t have to go Under the Playfield as you may have nothing wrong but just incase you must....

#13 6 months ago

Thank you yes I agree I’ll start with the basics ...the manual on screen will not come up it’s pretty simple instructions I’ll look for a paper manual ..

#14 6 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Thank you yes I agree I’ll start with the basics ...the manual on screen will not come up it’s pretty simple instructions I’ll look for a paper manual ..

Consider watching some of their help vids while your there.

https://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/support/#downloads

#15 6 months ago

https://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/games/

You can find the manual there, the Jersey jack website under "downloads"

Your problems sound very minor. You can probably figure them out by using the manual. If you can't, ask specific questions and take pics when referring to them so people on here can help you.

Going through diagnostics is going to be your friend. If the pin fully worked when you played it originally, I'm sure a connection or wire just got loose. Several things could be interconnected to one issue

If all else fails, call a reputable tech near you to help. My "go-to" tech is considered to be one of the best in the U.S.A., and he charges $125 for up to 2 hours. Your issues wouldn't take that long.

P.S. you moved a WOZ inside your house by yourself?????!!! That's insane. You are my new hero.

#16 6 months ago

Take deep breaths, all will be fine.

#17 6 months ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Take deep breaths, all will be fine.

Yeah, it’s not like you started with the Most Complex game ever created! Lol

#18 6 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yeah, it’s not like you started with the Most Complex game ever created! Lol

There is some truth to that for sure.
We have one and it’s definately more work to maintain than just about anything else we have.
Well worth it though.

#19 6 months ago

Lmao...thanks..the guy I bought from was great I’m sure I’ll figure out I’m just getting started ..what was cool was guy had TBL n my kid was doing salsa playing it ...I played also was a real treat...we watched movie tonight I’m not a bad dad honestly I just let them be boys under supervision ...thanks everyone !!!

#20 6 months ago

This is some of them

0C1D0036-41E2-49B4-A479-A68FCA669938 (resized).jpeg6526B3C6-6207-4CC1-808B-6C1B036BCA06 (resized).jpeg7C83D99D-34C5-4CFF-8EB0-AB808188B270 (resized).jpegC6D7EED2-17A7-487E-B5C5-426E0BE465A2 (resized).jpeg
#21 6 months ago

Now I want the tornado mod !!

#22 6 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

This is some of them[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Easy enough, you simply have a few switches that are closed and need an adjustment. Watch this or Any of the many videos and you should get it fixed fast.you will know when they are good when the boxes are no longer Red.

#23 6 months ago

Thank you yelobird !!!

#24 6 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I’ll help on the most obvious. The tornado doesn’t spin.

Well that was easy!

#25 6 months ago

First off, I know how you feel. Many years ago, I bought my first pin, and it was plagued with problems. I was really upset and wondered what I had gotten myself in to, not knowing at all where to start. However, like you, I was determined to learn, and that is really the most important thing. Working through these issues will teach you a lot about how pins work and give you the confidence to buy more. So, do hang in there.

Quoted from Kkoss24:

The N and B stay red,oz not lighting up,crystal ball not working,tornado not spinning,bad switch return mid left,the bricks leading up to 1 on spiral stay same color ,a few others ...my kid played it when we picked it up I made mistake of not looking for things like I said it’s on me but this is depressing...I want to get into learning how to work in them but don’t know how to start ..

Let’s think about these one at a time.

The N and B staying red could be either a bad connection with the data cables to that light board or a bad board. You likely don’t have the 2.0 lighting system, so your light boards are going to fail more often. When you get more confident working on pins, you can always convert to 2.0. In the meantime, that is an easy fix with a new board if one is required. However, let’s save this issue for later, including how to tell what board system you have, because it is more complicated than the others.

Crystal ball. Does it not work at all? Is the image garbled? Be a bit more specific. The more info you can provide, the better we can help.

Tornado not spinning. Easy fix. Just add a variable two direction motor with opposite end adjustments and real time feedback. Nah. Just kidding. As others said, it doesn’t spin. Just sits there looking good.

Switches. In switch test mode in the menu system, press the switches that are red. Do they work there? If not, you will have to learn to lift the playfield and examine the switches for broken wires or loose connections. The munchkin playfield might also have a separate connector leading to the main playfield that is associated with those switches. Look for molex connectors being unplugged in that area.

Bricks leading up to 1 are painted on the playfield and not clear inserts so they stay a similar color. That is likely normal.

You need to add a cliffy to the munchkin playfield at some point to prevent damage. But don’t worry about that now. Just tuck it away in your mind for later.

I would start with the switches as that is likely the easiest thing to work through now. Please report back. Take your time, and know that lots of people in this forum will help with some clear description of what is happening.

#26 6 months ago

Woz has a lot in it, lots of wires, connectors and boards, but there is a rhyme and reason to it. it is not much different from other games and learning on woz will help you with other games you get. The problems you mention are common and not difficult to fix, but there is a learning curve and we’ve all been in your position at some point. Don’t fret, you will get it going and be happy you fixed it yourself. You don’t need a tech for these issues.

For the crystal ball, check the connections, they can wiggle loose. Unplug it and plug it back in. It’s possible it’s something more significant, but try this first. There is also an sd card that supports the crystal ball, make sure it is in securely. Do this with the game off.

For the lights, reseat the data cables (they look like telephone cables) going to the boards under the playfield. If in attract mode, the colors are still different, that I believe indicates a bad light board, very common for light boards to have issues. They are available from jersey jack. Plenty of info on checking light boards in woz.

Nokoro above explained the switches.

Oz lanes are likely a loose connection.

Most of all, keep asking questions here if you aren’t sure of something, lots of great people here to help.

#27 6 months ago

OK,here's my take on this_ I, as well, cannot try to fix those kind of problems! Play field fixes can do cause I trained as a machinist! SO,for the time being,find a good tech guy in your area and have him fix your WOZ!! While he's at work,pick his brain and find out what to do yourself! After the initial fix,your pin will sing and so will you!!Have fun.B safe!!

#28 6 months ago

When I bought my first pinballs it was like they operated on Black Magic. I had no idea how any of it worked. Over time I learned that most pinball is very similar to one another and you can trace most problems.

There's lots of help in this thread so you're in the right place. You can do this.

#29 6 months ago

We were all beginners at first. Take it easy, try to focus on one problem at a time and work through them. Many issues are easy to solve by reseating bulbs/cables, resoldering a wire and applying simple logic.

Things you cant figure out on your own then make a post here with description and a picture and you will most certainly get help.

If you don't already own a decent soldering station, a solder sucker and a multimeter then you should buy those items as they are needed sooner or later when owning a pin.

#30 6 months ago

Make sure power is OFF when reseating any connectors in the game.

#31 6 months ago

Ummm...before we all start giving advice, are we sure that anything is broken here? WOZ has a lot of blinking lights, some of them look like they are on when they are not. Are those actually stuck switches or could it be that the no one has hit those shots for a while. OZ maybe isn't qualified, not sure about the crystal ball. Perhaps the OP was just expecting problems so he is seeing them where they are not.

Nothing is fucked.gif

#32 6 months ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Ummm...before we all start giving advice, are we sure that anything is broken here? WOZ has a lot of blinking lights, some of them look like they are on when they are not. Are those actually stuck switches or could it be that the no one has hit those shots for a while. OZ maybe isn't qualified, not sure about the crystal ball. Perhaps the OP was just expecting problems so he is seeing them where they are not.
[quoted image]

The red lights on the rainbow are wrong in that picture and either a data cable or board issue.

As for the switches, this is why I suggested trying to activate them in switch test mode first. That will tell whether it is a real problem or not.

#33 6 months ago

From the pic in post #20 it looks like there are issues with the light board under the rainbow plastic. If it was the data cable it would probably cause issues with the whole board rather than just two LEDs. When I had a WOZ I had to replace that board twice for similar issues. If you can service surface mount boards you might be able to change out those LED modules. In my experience with this game the light boards are a frequent source of issues that have led some to do the 2.0 upgrade.

#34 6 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

From the pic in post #20 it looks like there are issues with the light board under the rainbow plastic. If it was the data cable it would probably cause issues with the whole board rather than just two LEDs.

Yes, good point.

#35 6 months ago

Most or all of the WOZ 75th editions have the 2.0 light boards.

#36 6 months ago

I think he fixed those switches and is going nuts on the game with the boys.

#37 6 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I’m not sure that’s true. I converted mine. I thought they had made quite a bunch on the old lighting system before they switched.

#38 6 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I’m not sure that’s true. I converted mine. I thought they had made quite a bunch on the old lighting system before they switched.

That is why I said most because I was not sure what was reported was true or not. How can one tell by looking at the light boards if it is the 2.0 light system?

#39 6 months ago

That is why I said most because I was not sure what was reported was true or not. How can one tell by looking at the light boards if it is the 2.0 light system?

For the data cables, they use phone style data cables coming out of a central hub and not data cables that go in series from board to board that have red and green sharpie dots on the white connectors.

#40 6 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m 50 and am real exited about this and my 2 boys 11 and 12 are exited...I just woke up to pinball and these new games are unreal ..I don’t want to slump over this I want to get it fixed and learn ..I just don’t know where to start ..I know how to run the diagnostics where do I order parts if I want to tackle this myself?

I can identify completely. I'm 46 and was thrilled to get my Wizard of Oz 4 months ago. Like you, I didn't know a lot about electronics, but was willing to learn. I think I've put almost 600 games on it already and in that time:

1) The crystal ball showed a blank or weird message screen.
2) The castle flipper EOS switch was stuck .
3) The Munchkinland playfield was beginning to get beaten up by the ball smacking it too much above the rainbow targets.
4) The main left flipper would not settle back to its normal resting position, and would creep up higher and higher each time I used it.
5) It was running an older version of the code.
6) The flying monkey man wasn't picking up the ball.
7) The crystal ball VUK would take many repeated tries to kick the ball back to the playfield.
The drop down target blocking access to the castle upper playfield was set too high and the ball would occasionally get stuck above it.

I've remedied 6 of these problems by reading the manual and watching videos / reading on the pinside forums. This has given me the confidence to dig in to it more. You will get there in time, so don't give up. Great resources can be found with fellow pinsiders. I recommend reading anything by vid1900 and ltg .
I'd focus on the things that make the game playable. The code is pretty good with Wizard of Oz and the game has a lot of ways to play around bad switches. Best of luck!

#41 6 months ago

I don't know what fraction of the 75th have 2.0 boards but it is a lot less than all. I think mine was #831 and it still had 1.2 or something and the 2.0 didn't come out for a couple years after I got it. The only ones that have it would be very recent builds or ones that were upgraded.

#42 6 months ago
Quoted from Tubes:

I think he fixed those switches and is going nuts on the game with the boys.

Hoping so.

#43 6 months ago

Thanks a bunch just read these I’ve been at work .How do I activate the switches in switch mode .im off Tuesday n wensday n want to work on it a bit...I tried to bring up manual on screen but won’t let me unless I’m doing something wrong .I saw manuals for $100 I want one but Is this a normal price ..thanks again for any input .

#44 6 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Thanks a bunch just read these I’ve been at work .How do I activate the switches in switch mode .im off Tuesday n wensday n want to work on it a bit...I tried to bring up manual on screen but won’t let me unless I’m doing something wrong .I saw manuals for $100 I want one but Is this a normal price ..thanks again for any input .

I sent you a Link to the Free download from the Jersey Jack pinball site.

#45 6 months ago

Thanks again yelobird..

#46 6 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Using the buttons inside the coin door, navigate to switch matrix tests. You were there in the picture you posted showing matrixes switches. Then, with the glass off, just press the switches on the actual playfield and see if the red turns to green for those switches. If pressing the switches doesn’t register anything on the screen, then they aren’t working for some reason.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside