You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

item_946_1.jpg
LOTRbackL.jpg
gusher.jpg
wonderland_pinball_2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 13 years ago

You seem to think that your idea of pinball is better, more profitable and attainable in this day in age with the "if only there was another company" daydreaming.

The OP was referring to people being asked the top 5 pins of all time. AF, TZ, AFM, WH20, MB, MM, those are 6 classic williams games and on most lists someone preferred to have a LOTR, TSPP, FGY etc and bump one of the "classics". I think the OP's point is that if Stern really did suck, and nobody thought their games were any good, almost nobody would have done that and far fewer Stern games would have made the list.

You can't imagine older games being judged better then newer games because they aren't. You may like older games more, but the prices people pay for new games vs old games is a compelling argument that newer games are better, says most people.

"I am well aware of RGP - they're hardcore, sure. But they are affected by the fact that Stern is the only game in town.

The fact of the matter is unchanged: Stern is the only manufacturer of pins. By definition, you are no better asking people what cars they like best of the past 10 years if there was only one maker of cars for the past 15. It's that simple really. Again, not bashing Stern. But to suggest that they are the best is a biased and rather pointless question given that they are the ONLY maker of pinball left. Think of it in reverse, it would be more surprising if older games were judged to be better than Stern's newer games. I can't even imagine that happening. Just like music, every generation thinks their Jonas Bros are the best. Before them, it was New Kids on the Block. Before that? Who cares. We enjoy them because they are available now.

That's all.

So much has changed since pinball first came on the scene...pinball now requires deep rule sets, multiball, multilevel, video, and shaking sound/cabinets stuff. Oh yeah, and "toppers." And, it's primarily played in the home.

Go back to the 80s and pinball was a game played on location in an arcade.

Prior to that, pinball was, what, played at bowling alleys and pool halls. Truckstops. Diners.

There were great games back in the day that worked well on location and were well suited to the player's available time and attention.

The game is simply different today, that's all. It's still, by definition, pinball, but make no mistake it's not the same game as back in the day. In the same way the Prius is still a car but can't really be compared to a 69 Hemi Charger. The metrics don't even line up.

But it sure would be nice if another pinball maker tried to bring something different into the field. That would be interesting for sure. Until then, Stern is best. Yes. They are the best maker of pinball machines on the planet. (and also the only maker of pinball machines on the planet). "

#31 13 years ago

It's not personal, and we all understand you don't like Stern. They aren't cutting corners because they want to, they aren't photo shopping because they want to. Last I heard Stern was not in good financial shape, but kicking a dying corpse with rampant negativity isn't constructive.

#32 13 years ago

You are forgetting something:

"Just like music, every generation thinks their Jonas Bros are the best. Before them, it was New Kids on the Block. Before that? Who cares. We enjoy them because they are available now."

Pinball is not music. The lights, the sound, the DMD, the toys, everything on pinball has changed. People don't like new pinballs because we happen to like like what is available now, we like new pinballs because with technology we are gaining features like animations, and light shows, and great sound. The same way the Prius doesn't match up to the 69 charger. When america loved the 69 charger it's priorities, technology, and the world was a different place. There will always be some boy band grabbing the 12 year olds money, but with technology and the world, as with most things, things are different and for the better.

#34 13 years ago

I appreciate your point of view, I don't agree. We can agree to disagree, that's completely fine Even if stern gets extra love because it's new, that doesn't mean that some of their games aren't TZ and AF quality. I have a TZ, and I have a TSPP, and I'm looking to sell the TZ...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-another-observation?tu=jalpert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.