(Topic ID: 57236)

Just another lengthy WOZ Review (based on 1.14 software)

By MikeS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Sunfox
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

My Wizard of Oz Review.... (This is a Standard Production WOZ running 1.14 software)

I went to Moosejaw Pizza in WI Dells last night with a friend and got nearly 3 hours of playtime on WOZ.-They had to boot us out as they closed at 11. I have to admit that I was a bit anxious to play it and was nervous as to whether or not I would like the game enough to justify the expenditure since I have a game on order. WOZ is nearly twice the price of any game I've purchased in the past and I have to admit that I was let down with the way proto games played at both MGC and Expo last year. The Expo and MGC games had very little pitch and the flippers were weak and just didn't feel right. The gameplay was slow, the pops and other solenoids seemed weak and it just wasn't a good experience.

Fast forward to last night… I played my first ball and was instantly relieved at how the game played. The game was setup perfectly and the gameplay was surprisingly fast! The back leg levelers were all the way up and the pitch was just where I like it. The flippers and pops were plenty strong and snappy and were able to make all the shots with ease. The slingshots were actually “Too” strong and a couple times sent the ball over the rail and into the shooter lane! I’d actually recommend turning these down a bit. The left slingshot kicker actually found its way on the other side of the slingshot rubber from hitting it so hard.-Christopher you’ll need to pop this back For a game that I’ve been hearing about issues such as lights going out, missing sound, etc. I was happy to see that this game did not have any issues. No stuck balls, no lighting issues, and all the switches and features worked as they should. This location was also well lit so I didn’t notice any problems with the GI being too dim (even in lights out mode) and not being able to see well enough. The only minor bug we really encountered was that sometimes the lock mechanism would release an extra ball.-but this was compensated in software.

As far as the gameplay itself goes I was extremely pleased. The game plays like no other game I have played in the past. The shots felt great and it is a challenging game to play. I love the fact that this game is so different from everything else that has been released recently. It seems like most other games are multi-ball centric whereas WOZ is more of a shooters game and you are in single ball play most of the time. This game really makes you work for everything you accomplish. I would say that in over half the games I played I failed to even start a multi-ball and was usually lucky to start more than a couple modes and my scores were typically between 20K-75K for the night. This isn’t a game where you hit the same shot over and over to start multi-ball and can get by on only hitting safe shots during single ball play and only taking risks during multi-ball. I found myself having to aim for stand-ups and roll-overs during single ball play to qualify shots, sending the ball into the pops to hit the capture Dorothy target, and using a lot of strategy and thought to figure out how I want to approach the game. My favorite machine is LOTR and this game is above and beyond that game from a rules and strategy standpoint. The rules actually remind me a lot of TSPP in that there are just so many things to be cognizant of and so many opportunities for stacking. There are also mini-games like Horse of a Different Color and the two outlane ball save modes (TNPLH and Save Toto) which are extremely fun. I also liked the two upper playfields and found them to be quite challenging.-The Witch’s castle playfield I found particularly tough. Here are the positives and negatives from the few hours I’ve spent on the game so far.

Positives

Layout: The game has so many targets and things to shoot for in all areas of the playfield. Hitting the Crystal Ball targets are tough and some targets you need to rely on bounces or pop bumper or sling shot hits to trigger. The collect target under the UR Flipper is also ingenious. The layout is fresh and doesn’t feel recycled at all. I know it resembles TSPP and TZ a bit on paper but it plays completely different from either of those games. It’s just a lot of fun and there is just SO much going on!

LED’s: The lighting and lighting effects on this game are nothing short of amazing! I was able to start the “Lights on” Crystal ball mode a few times and it was really cool seeing the lighting effects. It’s also cool how when you hit certain targets all the playfield lights will “burst” with that color.

Outlane mini-games: A great idea that has never really been done before. I think “Save Toto” was a bit on the easy side. I was able to complete probably 80% of the time that I got it. It would be nice to see an option where the Toto timer was decreased by 5 seconds for each time it is triggered in the game to increase the difficulty. “There’s no place like home” on the other hand is extremely tough! I found this mode to be a blast to play but the list of objectives you need to hit is pretty daunting!

Creativity in the rules: I love that you have to hit varying shots to qualify modes and that there are collect holes and creative ways to start modes. For example… For Haunted Forest modes you need to hit the bumpers a set number of times and then send the ball into the collect hole in the upper left side. To start Twister you need to hit all the rainbow targets and then to start a munchkin mode you need to hit 10 loops around the house. Rescue Multi-ball also consists of several steps to start. I prefer this method over simply hitting a target over and over to start something…I also love stacking!

LCD Screen: Very cool implementation and the animations are top notch! I didn’t find myself looking at it much during gameplay but it is cool to watch while others are playing. It does make games with DMD’s look outdated in comparison though. The Crystal Ball is also really cool but is mostly eye candy as I tend to be too concentrated on the ball vs. looking at it during a game.
Build Quality/Artwork/Fit and Finish: The quality, feel, and artwork on this game are incredible! Not much else needs to be said. You can tell that a lot of thought went into the design and into the build of this machine.

Negatives:

Upper right flipper: There aren’t really any shots that are specific to this flipper and it is largely unused during gameplay other than for the skillshot. It’s also tough to see shots coming down to this flipper with the upper right playfield in the way. This is the biggest flaw in the game design and I hope they find a way to make this flipper more useful!

Rules aren’t intuitive for beginners: I thought I had a pretty firm grasp on the rule-set based on Alex’s tutorial but I still have no idea how Horse of a Different color works. I get that you hit four horse targets and hit the collect target under the upper right flipper but I have no idea how the scoring works. Usually I only get minimal points, but a few times I’ve gotten big points from this and I’m not sure why? I’m also not sure how the hurry-ups work? Even things like how to start EC Multi-ball or Rescue Multiball could be confusing to someone not familiar with the game. The LCD gives you some info on what you need to do but not enough… For a home owner that knows the rules this is all fine but for location players it may be difficult.

What I’d still like to see:

I know Keith and the software team still have a long ways to go and have lots of fun modes, mini-wizard modes, and full wizard mode(s) to add but I would like to see some of these modes be objective based vs. just points based. It’s good to have 2X scoring modes but I like modes where you have to hit sequences of shots to complete them. –I’m sure these are probably coming and we’ll just have to wait for them. And like I said earlier I’d also like to see a way to improve the significance of the UR flipper.

Conclusion:

I admit to being frustrated by the wait for this game and prior to last night I’ve had a few times where I’ve actually contemplating selling my spot and buying a different game (like Metallica) to feed my new pin addiction; but after last night there is no way in hell that I’d sell my spot or the game. I still love Stern games and think they're making kick-ass games. I still want to pick up a Metallica and ACDC at some point but I think it's great to have a new manufacturer making awesome games as well! There's no need to hate on either manufacturer... I think WOZ Is great even in its current software form and I think once it’s complete it’s going to be one of the best games of all time. People that dismiss this game on theme or because it doesn’t have 2 ramps that feed the flippers are short-changing themselves… I think JJP did an incredible job on this game and I think once more people play properly set up production games and the software gets fleshed out that a lot of people are going to want to buy this game. My friend that was with me last night didn’t have any intentions of buying a WOZ prior to last night but after playing it for an extended amount of time he now wants one! If you’re anywhere near WI Dells stop in and play this game at Moosejaw. I plan to head back again soon. Now, my last request to JJP is to hurry up and finish my game

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think WOZ Is great even in its current software form and I think once it’s complete it’s going to be one of the best games of all time. People that dismiss this game on theme or because it doesn’t have 2 ramps that feed the flippers are short-changing themselves… I think JJP did an incredible job on this game and I think once more people play properly set up production games and the software gets fleshed out that a lot of people are going to want to buy this game. My friend that was with me last night didn’t have any intentions of buying a WOZ prior to last night but after playing it for an extended amount of time he now wants one!

As a fellow Lotr lover this is good to hear!

#3 10 years ago

Very nice and detailed review. Thanks for posting.

#4 10 years ago

Good review. I've had my WOZ for three weeks. Your comments mirror my own. Bang on. I hope you get yours soon.

#5 10 years ago

Nice review and sounds like a refreshing change from the cookie-cutter fan layouts that have been coming out in recent years...

#6 10 years ago

Great review Mike! I have to say hearing your thoughts on the game really helps put my mind at ease. As you know, LOTR is my favorite game and I too have thought about dumping my WOZ preorder at times. Now that I know a likeminded player whose opinion I trust is a fan of WOZ, I can put those thoughts of selling my spot to rest!

#7 10 years ago

from the other thread where you posted:

Thats a very comprehensive review Treveism...and not much I could add as an owner...except and I dont see this mentioned much, when you hit the skill shot, the sparkling effect of the lights is something I have never seen in a pb machine. Very unique..I hope Keith/Ted program more of this effect in the game.
Still difficult for me to play in a dark room...yet doesnt seem to be such of an issue with others.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

from the other thread where you posted:
Thats a very comprehensive review Treveism...and not much I could add as an owner...except and I dont see this mentioned much, when you hit the skill shot, the sparkling effect of the lights is something I have never seen in a pb machine. Very unique..I hope Keith/Ted program more of this effect in the game.

Thanks Vyzer2. I agree that the sparkling effect is truly unique and is a super cool effect that has never been done before. I know a lot of people single out the LCD monitor as being the biggest change from existing machines but I think the LED lighting (and programming) is the game's standout feature! This game sits next to an Avengers pro on location and it's hard to believe that Avengers is actually the "newer" game as far as the design of the playfield and features go.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks for the comprehensive review.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Now that I know a likeminded player whose opinion I trust is a fan of WOZ, I can put those thoughts of selling my spot to rest!

Oh ye of little faith! Loving Lotr, you knew Keith was going to blow it out on Woz....

#11 10 years ago

I read, "My Wizard of Oz review" then got bored. Does someone have the cliff note version ?

#12 10 years ago

One thing I really hope to see are separate high score tables for modes and other objectives. Players will want to keep coming back in a game with a deep ruleset if there's some kind of competition within the larger frame of the game. I really wish, for example, that RFM had separate score tables for each mode. It would make playing the game more fun and less redundant-feeling.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Oh ye of little faith! Loving Lotr, you knew Keith was going to blow it out on Woz....

Keefer's the reason why I took the plunge back in Jan '11. Well, his joining JJP definitely pushed me over the edge to get my checkbook out.

#14 10 years ago

Great review! So pumped to get my game. Order date is from March 2011 so maybe late next month.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I read, "My Wizard of Oz review" then got bored. Does someone have the cliff note version ?

yet you opened it...again and read it...like you do them all!
Being a closet WOZ freak is starting to show.
Cant wait for your review. Hopefully it will be honest...but at this point, you may have to tamp it down a bit...you do have history working against you.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think “Save Toto” was a bit on the easy side. I was able to complete probably 80% of the time that I got it. It would be nice to see an option where the Toto timer was decreased by 5 seconds for each time it is triggered in the game to increase the difficulty.

Toto is only allowed twice per game...and it doesn't matter whether or not you collect it. Even if you hit all the TOTO rollovers after your second time, it doesn't award it and just ends the ball. The second hourglass timer for Toto moves much faster than the first too. In that way it is leveled out a bit.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

yet you opened it...again and read it...like you do them all!

Ya, I am interested in WOZ, but a novel about it ? If ANY game needs that length of review it must suck !

Quoted from Vyzer2:

Being a closet WOZ freak is starting to show

I have always liked WOZ as a game, the WOZ freaks , not so much .

Quoted from Vyzer2:

Cant wait for your review. Hopefully it will be honest...but at this point, you may have to tamp it down a bit...you do have history working against you.

I don't like reviewing games . All I need to know, is if it is fun and keeps you coming back .

Shit, this post is a novel , keep it simple guys !

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Toto is only allowed twice per game...and it doesn't matter whether or not you collect it. Even if you hit all the TOTO rollovers after your second time, it doesn't award it and just ends the ball. The second hourglass timer for Toto moves much faster than the first too. In that way it is leveled out a bit.

Thanks! I did realize the limit of twice per game on Toto but I didn't notice that the hour glass moved quicker the 2nd time thru.-that's great to hear. I did notice that if you tilt after completing the Toto rollovers that it will still do the Toto animation and launch the ball but you won't be able to flip to save it.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Ya, I am interested in WOZ, but a novel about it ? If ANY game needs that length of review it must suck !
blockquote>

Not true. If a review is too short, then its not long enough. If its too long, than not short enough. Cant win!

admit it..you are a woz freak..you must be. you comment all the time.

yep agree...game must be fun first and foremost...woz is fun!

#20 10 years ago

I am a WOZ freak, I am a WOZ freak ..

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I hadn't noticed the hourglass going faster. Hell, the game plays so fast, it's hard to get a good look at the screen when you're playing.

The # of times the TOTO mode can be activated per game is adjustable in the game settings.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I don't like reviewing games . All I need to know, is if it is fun and keeps you coming back .

Then just don't post to those types of WOZ threads and egg people on. There's nothing wrong with people giving a long review of a machine that will likely have one of the deepest rulesets in pinball and one of the most complex set of toys.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Pindufus:

I hadn't noticed the hourglass going faster. Hell, the game plays so fast, it's hard to get a good look at the screen when you're playing.
The # of times the TOTO mode can be activated per game is adjustable in the game settings.

Yes, it is faster, at least it was at SS Billiards. Lloyd has all his games set on very hard though, so that might change things from default. I got TOTO both times and the 2nd time I was lucky to have 1 shot at it like I did, where as the first time you have a little bit of time to miss and recover.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Lloyd has all his games set on very hard though

Hard. Not very or extra.

LTG : )

#25 10 years ago

It's really nice to read a review like this.

I've been getting pretty frustrated about the way the WOZ LEs and standards are being shipped.

I've actually thought, (briefly) about selling my spot.

After reading this post, it made me a little for comfortable that I made the right decision to buy a WOZ LE.

I just wish they'd get my machine shipped!!!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

It's really nice to read a review like this.
I've been getting pretty frustrated about the way the WOZ LEs and standards are being shipped.
I've actually thought, (briefly) about selling my spot.
After reading this post, it made me a little for comfortable that I made the right decision to buy a WOZ LE.
I just wish they'd get my machine shipped!!!

Same here! The posts and gameplay videos help with the wait. If I may ask when did you originally order your game?

#27 10 years ago

Thanks for the Effort on the review

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I am a WOZ freak, I am a WOZ freak ..

I noticed you have WOZ listed in your collection. LOL

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Then just don't post to those types of WOZ threads and egg people on. There's nothing wrong with people giving a long review of a machine that will likely have one of the deepest rulesets in pinball and one of the most complex set of toys.

Can all programmers write deep code if given enough time?

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Nope. Depends on their creativity and skillset. The deeper the rules the significantly more complex the code gets because your dependency tree gets that much larger.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

I think it isn't just depth that it needs, there has to be a flow and progression to things. There is an art to writing a good game. It needs to account for many levels of player. Give the player something that keeps them coming back, and yet satisfies the great players of the world. That is tough to do. So I think the answer to your question is yes, any pinball programmer could write deep crappy code given enough time. But it takes something special to write deep code and make you want to play a game. Without great code you are smashing a ball bearing around inside a box. With great code, your hunting a witch

#32 10 years ago

good answers

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I think it isn't just depth that it needs, there has to be a flow and progression to things. There is an art to writing a good game. It needs to account for many levels of player. Give the player something that keeps them coming back, and yet satisfies the great players of the world. That is tough to do. So I think the answer to your question is yes, any pinball programmer could write deep crappy code given enough time. But it takes something special to write deep code and make you want to play a game. Without great code you are smashing a ball bearing around inside a box. With great code, your hunting a witch

Thankfully we have Keith and Ted onboard for WOZ code! Does JJP have other game programmers as well?

#34 10 years ago

I think Dave and I are saying the same thing. Anyone can write a ton of "code" and make it deep but incoherent.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thankfully we have Keith and Ted onboard for WOZ code! Does JJP have other game programmers as well?

Me but I'm not doing rules or game code. That is best left to the best in the biz. I do the totally non sexy stuff no one cares about . Operating system development, update mechanism(s), Internet access/updater, support site, FAQ's and general support.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Me but I'm not doing rules or game code. That is best left to the best in the biz. I do the totally non sexy stuff no one cares about . Operating system development, update mechanism(s), Internet access/updater, support site, FAQ's and general support.

Lol. Seriously though that's a huge amount of work you do, especially for a new system. Thank you!

#37 10 years ago

nice write up.

i took care of the slingshot rubber.

cash box looks healthy already!

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

How desperate are you to spread negativity that you come into a thread proclaiming it contains a "lengthy WOZ review", and then complain about the length of the review?

Have you ever heard of the phrase "if you can't say something nice, then say nothing at all?" The poster went to a lot of work to write this up for the benefit of those who would like such information. If you can't appreciate it for what it is, and have nothing else useful to add to the conversation, then at least have the common decency to keep your mouth shut.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 91.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-another-lengthy-woz-review-based-on-114-software and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.