(Topic ID: 11355)

Just an idea. Very helpful. Ill start. (Great pinside idea, check it out Robin)

By the_pin_family

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by DCFAN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Door.jpg
    pf18.jpg
    High_Speed_Inserts_2.pdf (PDF preview)
    High_Speed_Inserts_1.pdf (PDF preview)
    #1 12 years ago

High Speed insert decal scan

#2 12 years ago

I like it. If we had those on each pins page and a spot on there where you could request a scan so we don't clog the forum.

#3 12 years ago

Thats what I was thinking. You think there are any licensing issues to posting scans? Robin, Can we ad a page to the pins for these scans? It would be unbelieveably helpful. If there is licensing issues how about a page with members who participate in a decal exchange to post what pins they have decals for and they can be PMed.

#4 12 years ago

There was already a site like this, ballsofsteel I think it was called. He got a cease and desist letter and shut it down.

#5 12 years ago

I would think this would pose a "licensing" issue, but the idea is great and would be awesome if we could do it.
    I also would like to see the same on pf plastics that could be "fixed"...or made. But I would guess using a forum instead of PM would cause a problem also...and we don't need any of those!

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

There was already a site like this, ballsofsteel I think it was called. He got a cease and desist letter and shut it down.

Yeah I remember that. You see, I would love to add all these things but I think stuff like decal scans are still copyrighted. I'm also sitting on tons of pinball music files (mp3s) which I got from TheMCD - great listening - but I'm also afraid to add these to the site for the same reason.

Does anyone know more about this subject? Could this in fact be accomplished here on the site in a legal way? Possibly behind a payed link so the copyright holders get their share?

#7 12 years ago

I'm sure Planetary Pinball would not be happy with this, as well as the vendors who have to pay licensing fees to sell B/W items.

#8 12 years ago

Robin, you could always shoot an email over to Rick at PP and see what his thoughts are about this stuff.

#9 12 years ago

I don't understand why they would still care about those licensing. We are trying to keep their projects alive. Oh well.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

I don't understand why they would still care about those licensing.

Money

#11 12 years ago

Money

GREED

pf18.jpgpf18.jpg

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

I don't understand why they would still care about those licensing. We are trying to keep their projects alive. Oh well.

Its because people are still making money off it. People payed for the rights to something, and they want to recover their investment.

So even though they might not sell a specific thing now, they might want to in the future sometime or at least not set the precedent of NOT caring about this kind of stuff.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

So even though they might not sell a specific thing now, they might want to in the future sometime or at least not set the precedent of NOT caring about this kind of stuff.

I bet this hit it right on the head.

#14 12 years ago

Seems like one of the parts distributors could sell PDF files for things like this and everyone get there small little cut. Like music. If i needed 2 inserts decals I wouldnt pay $40 + shipping but i would buy the PDF file for $5. Everyone wins. No overhead, no printing, no manpower, just some setup and web site maintence. distributor gets his 2.50, license holder gets his 2.50 and my special when lit insert gets a new decal. Hello, I just made someone a million bucks, I deserve a thank you.

#15 12 years ago

I guarantee Jeff McAfee will have a problem with this after dropping an easy 5 figures to secure the rights to do the insert decals.

WMS and Gottlieb still guard all IP very diligently. There is no point to even begin this here unless you want to risk Pinside being shut down.

Lock and close the thread and delete those PDFs!

#16 12 years ago

There is no point to even begin this here unless you want to risk Pinside being shut down.
    Lock and close the thread and delete those PDFs!

Door.jpgDoor.jpg

#17 12 years ago

Yea for scans I think it may be best to throw out a request if you need them and then take care of it privately leaving Pinside out of harms way.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from jwwhite15:

I would think this would pose a "licensing" issue, but the idea is great and would be awesome if we could do it.
    I also would like to see the same on pf plastics that could be "fixed"...or made. But I would guess using a forum instead of PM would cause a problem also...and we don't need any of those!

Yeah, it's slightly a grey area. A scan is technically an original image, however, it is close enough that legally they can go after you. That's very unlikely to happen in the case of fans trading scans amongst themselves, but if you build a system (in this case a website) to facilitate it, yeah, they may jump on you.

#19 12 years ago

The way music and video industry is set up that if you own it, you are allowed to have digital versions for back up. It should be the same for pin decals. I'm sure there is some law that you can't buy used for that to be true, not sure.

#20 12 years ago

I wonder if youve bought the rights to sell the decals if you also have the right to sell scans. If so one could develop "iscan" much like itunes. When I was making my company logo I went to a site that sold hi-def images. I bought a few and now i have the rights to use them in anyway i want. Now, im sure the images are designed by the company that sold them to me. Im just saying there's money to be made and someones missing the boat.

#21 12 years ago

Oh man.. been there, done that.

See here:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/2665dbfdacc0da0c/12adee2d390133aa?lnk=gst&q=machine.slave#12adee2d390133aa

me = "machine.slave"

A very valuable and honorable idea.. but it will be met harshly and swiftly by Cease and Desist orders. Probably best to avoid this.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

i would buy the PDF file for $5.

The problem is that you can share it and that would cost them money.

#23 12 years ago

We should find a private way to share these, or VIP part of forum? Other types of forums do this.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

Oh man.. been there, done that.
    See here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/2665dbfdacc0da0c/12adee2d390133aa?lnk=gst&q=machine.slave#12adee2d390133aa
    me = "machine.slave"
    A very valuable and honorable idea.. but it will be met harshly and swiftly by Cease and Desist orders. Probably best to avoid this.

Wow! So what was the outcome? Was he the owner to the rights? See, the problem is I'm a rebel. I hate it when someone tells me I can't do something. So what if........ What if someone....... Some stranger in the dark........ An unknown avatar........ From random places like starbucks and McDonald's, started spreading this art across the pinball world. ROBINPIN!!!! Could he easily be cought or would he spread joy in the form of beautiful artwork across the world?

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

Wow! So what was the outcome? Was he the owner to the rights? See, the problem is I'm a rebel. I hate it when someone tells me I can't do something. So what if........ What if someone....... Some stranger in the dark........ An unknown Avatar........ From random places like starbucks and McDonald's, started spreading this art across the pinball world. ROBINPIN!!!! Could he easily be cought or would he spread joy in the form of beautiful artwork across the world?

The outcome was that WMS owns the rights, and Wayne (now PPB) was the licensee of said rights. It was the C+D order I received from WMS that caused me to stop. I respected their rights ownership and had NO interest in arguing with them. I had no reason to believe Wayne had the right to shut me or anyone else down, and he didn't provide any. It was more his business practices that made me do what I did, really.. playing favourites, using me as a martyr. Threatening my family.. that sort of thing.

Anyway that's in the past now.. the rights to produce parts and artwork are in good hands (PPB), and I look forward to dealing with them in the future.

As for artwork.. it can't freely be distributed, but from what I can tell people don't have much trouble finding what they need using good 'ole RGP and Google.

#26 12 years ago

Could we start a sticky with a listing of what scans people have access to and then we could handle the file sharing privately? It seems that would be very hard legally to stop, especially since the scans would not be publicly displayed.

#27 12 years ago

sorry double post glitch

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-an-idea-very-helpful-ill-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.