(Topic ID: 12169)

Just a thought on future value of pins.........

By iceman44

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by vicjw66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deadhorse.jpg
    jump-the-shark-october-challenge-shark.jpg
    There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 12 years ago

So in the top 50 of pins all of them were made from 1988 and newer with the exception of Xenon in 1980......

Of the top 100, the oldest pin dates back to 1979......

With all the new pin technology coming out and new offerings I'm thinking the older pins will have to come down in price due to sheer numbers....

Let's say conservatively, Stern, JJP, JPOP and others account for 6 new pins a year....over the next 10 years that's 60 new pins..........all of which will most likely be in the top 100.....

How much would you pay just to "collect" a 70's or 60's pin for the sake of collecting....not much and very few people would actually collect and play those...the top 100 says so....

Fast forward 10 years and the money is going to go into chasing the 60 pins of the last decade and what's coming up in the future....

If anybody cares about "pins holding value" the inevitable is coming down the road and many of you will say so what, I'm a pinball purist and I don't care about what anybody else thinks, I will always love my old machines........really? When they are worth half of what you paid?

I hear a lot of talk from folks saying I should always be able to get my money out of it...to justify spending huge sums on pins, if that though process ever becomes doubtful, prices will drop accordingly..

Maybe some think the road goes on forever and the party never ends!

#2 12 years ago

Possibly, however, some of Sterns recent (2005+) games aren't even listed in the top 100. So, I regrettably have to disagree. I would like for this to happen since I prefer late 80 to late 90s games.

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

I would like for this to happen since I prefer late 80 to late 90s games.

That's my point, there will be fewer and fewer of people like yourself.....and maybe your mindset changes over the next decade....you don't collect 60's and 70's pins now do you?

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

That's my point, there will be fewer and fewer of people like yourself.....and maybe your mindset changes over the next decade....you don't collect 60's and 70's pins now do you?

Gotcha, I didn't read the last of the first one.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

you don't collect 60's and 70's pins now do you?

I don't, but I would if I had the funds/space to have them.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

+1

My collection is only limited because of $$ and space. Now, when my kids go off to college, I'll have more space (but probably a lot less $$).....maybe when I retire?

#7 12 years ago

There's more and more new people getting into this hobby. The supply of older machines is staying the same (going down, actually). You can see this reflected in the price hikes of "affordable" titles lately.

Yes, new machines are having a positive swing on increasing the pool of used ones on the market (home collectors sell off older titles to make room/free up money). However, you won't see the numbers needed to sate the market for a used machine's price to drop.

More Demand = Higher Prices

#8 12 years ago

I'd imagine, even the modern Stern machines will eventually go up in value, even the non top 100. This is primarily just a supply and demand thing. Once the availability of these games goes way down, due to routing, lack of parts, etc, then they will be more collectible. One of the ones I sold recently, Austin Powers isn't a top 100, and many here don't like it, but I'm willing to bet that's one of them that will go up eventually, as will their newer Playboy.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

There's more and more new people getting into this hobby. The supply of older machines is staying the same (going down, actually). You can see this reflected in the price hikes of "affordable" titles lately.

Yes, new machines are having a positive swing on increasing the pool of used ones on the market (home collectors sell off older titles to make room/free up money). However, you won't see the numbers needed to sate the market for used machines prices to drop.

+1

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Exactly, as new pins come out, you and many other won't have the space and funds to keep the 80's, and 90's games....but some will hold onto the past, the true pinhead!

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

More demand for the newer machines and less for the old......

Less space, less funds etc....the old goes to replace with the new...

Or, maybe pinball experiences a new explosion of interest because of JJP...and then we get back to making 25,000 machines of each?

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

So in the top 50 of pins all of them were made from 1988 and newer with the exception of Xenon in 1980......
    Of the top 100, the oldest pin dates back to 1979......
    With all the new pin technology coming out and new offerings I'm thinking the older pins will have to come down in price due to sheer numbers....
    Let's say conservatively, Stern, JJP, JPOP and others account for 6 new pins a year....over the next 10 years that's 60 new pins..........all of which will most likely be in the top 100.....
    How much would you pay just to "collect" a 70's or 60's pin for the sake of collecting....not much and very few people would actually collect and play those...the top 100 says so....
    Fast forward 10 years and the money is going to go into chasing the 60 pins of the last decade and what's coming up in the future....
    If anybody cares about "pins holding value" the inevitable is coming down the road and many of you will say so what, I'm a pinball purist and I don't care about what anybody else thinks, I will always love my old machines........really? When they are worth half of what you paid?
    I hear a lot of talk from folks saying I should always be able to get my money out of it...to justify spending huge sums on pins, if that though process ever becomes doubtful, prices will drop accordingly..
    Maybe some think the road goes on forever and the party never ends!

I think in principle what you saying is correct. Timing as ever is the tricky point. That said if you look at the top 10 pins, maybe top 15, it is likely that these will hold value way longer than those beneath them.

Unless of course a new top 10 forms with yet to be made pins......... that would be great but seems unlikely as in the last decade only LOTR and SM have broken the top 10.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Exactly, as new pins come out, you and many other won't have the space and funds to keep the 80's, and 90's games....but some will hold onto the past, the true pinhead! []

I would like to buy a NIB ( the 3rd Elvira please)just once, but I don't ever see me selling off my small collection to get newer pins.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I would like to buy a NIB

I would also like to buy one NIB just because I would know what has been done to it... But I do love getting an old machine and finding a quarters log (TFTC 40,000 JP 70,000) but I'm not sure I could get rid of one.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

More demand for the newer machines and less for the old......
    Less space, less funds etc....the old goes to replace with the new...
    Or, maybe pinball experiences a new explosion of interest because of JJP...and then we get back to making 25,000 machines of each?

No way is there/will there be a higher demand for new machines vs older ones. The average person that's looking for a pinball machine isn't looking to shell out 6 - 8 thousand dollars. They are looking to buy ones for a couple thousand.

Those looking for used machines (a number increasing) and the number of used machines available(a number decreasing), you get the average price increasing.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

No way is there/will there be a higher demand for new machines vs older ones. The average person that's looking for a pinball machine isn't looking to shell out 6 - 8 thousand dollars. They are looking to buy ones for a couple thousand.

Those looking for used machines (a number increasing) and the number of used machines available(a number decreasing), you get the average price increasing.

Really? Because JPOP just blew out 99 at 10k in a few days and JJP sold 1,000 LE's of WOZ and when it blows people away there will be a frenzy to get the next machine and then Hobbit....

AC/DC sales success on Stern's highest price ever.....

Good discussion on this but the number of used machines available will be increasing and there are plenty of them out there!

The top titles, 20 or 30 or so could continue to go up in the short run as people chase....if you are banking on the theory that these machines will just keep going up in value and don't even consider the alternative......

I hope you are right, I could care less about prices going up, I'm going to buy what I like no matter what, and maybe the pin market will go up and up forever and ever....after all, the land of OZ is coming out soon and that was a great fairy tale!

#17 12 years ago

That's a great lineup you've got btw Honch! Where does CV stand in your ratings....

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

That's a great lineup you've got btw Honch! [] Where does CV stand in your ratings....

Thanks. CV is a game I use to love to play on location, but now that I have it at home it isn't holding my attention. I will most likely be selling it sooner rather than later. Actually looking to get something older like a Haunted House, it's more my style and a game I loved as a kid.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

CV is a game I use to love to play on location, but now that I have it at home it isn't holding my attention.

That's what I was worried about, almost bought one but could see how it might get old....I can get my fix on location in Austin at Pinballz and that should be enough!

#20 12 years ago

I don't think you will see pin prices start to significantly fall until the number of new people getting into the hobby begins to slow. It seems to me like the hobby is currently exploding like never before.

#21 12 years ago

Price and space....every gameroom is different for these reasons. Some people want one pinball machine for the "look" in a gameroom and will only buy one for cheap. I bought an EM just to play around with old school stuff.
    If everyone had TZ,CFTBL,STNG,AFM, in the gameroom they would all be the same. They made each machine to play different, that's the reason you just can't have one.
    Old machines are not as much fun as new ones, but without an old one there to compare all machines would be rated 10.
    Just saying old is not bad to have and not everyone wants the newest one.

#22 12 years ago

What if the market for pinball machines doubles in size? or triples? The new apps that showcase pinball machines are bound to spark interest. Some people will be so interested that they want a TOTAN, or TOM, or whatever. If even a small percentage, tiny, decides they want the real thing, demand goes up. Just sayin...

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think you will see pin prices start to significantly fall until the number of new people getting into the hobby begins to slow. It seems to me like the hobby is currently exploding like never before.

In regards to new people joining the hobby and prices on older/non-DMD games, I wonder if the modern additions to the hobby (pretty much using myself as an example) will be more married to DMD-only/more "modern" games than people that have been in the hobby for a while. I really don't see, at least around here, any non-DMD pins out on route, and of the places where the operators own their own machines, I think the only non-DMD table I've seen has been BoP (and I think it's fun, even though you can't see 3/4 of the table).

Any other exposure to pinball outside of this is tilted towards modern titles too, though it was good to see on the Williams collection deal for consoles a wide range of tables available. I would like to play a Whirlwind or a Taxi or even a Space Shuttle as a result (and who knows, maybe I did when I was a kid)...but I can't just go to a bar to play them. Obviously different in different locales. Also as other people have mentioned, pushing against this is the fact that a lot of people just don't want to pay more than a couple thousand, which may force them into older titles even if they're not familiar with them.

#24 12 years ago

Does a 2013 Camaro make a 1969 Camaro worth less? People like what they like and collect what they grew up with. Frankly I don't see pinball remaining viable at 7k-10k a pop. That is a complete deal killer for an operator and the home buyer cannot afford more than one or two of those a year.

The fact is the classic games are still the classics. Just because they are new does not mean they are better. The classics will never be made again and therefore their prices will be supported while the newer games will take the same depreciation hit that a new car takes.

Sure JPop got deposits on the 99 games, it will be interesting to see the conversion ratio to fully paid as the economy continues its spiral into the abyss.

#25 12 years ago

Interesting opinions!...Well if the market doubles or triples in size which is what JJP is hoping for then they will simply make more to satisfy the demand....didn't they make 25k of TAF?

How many people regularly buy and play machines from the 60's and 70's? Never hear it mentioned on here.....

I like old too but what is the most anyone would pay for any pin made before 1988?

#26 12 years ago

as of late the price of 80's pins have been jumping up alot in my area.
    im in northern ca. mostly system 11 pins. pinbot,high speed, comet etc. it seems more and more collectors and new pinheads are grabbing them up in my area anyhow. just my 2 cents.

#27 12 years ago

You won't get a nice Fathom or Centaur for much less than $2000 these days. They're both from 1981.

#28 12 years ago

How is market size going to double or triple for a game that is not relevant with the past 2+ generations? As much as I love pinball, this is the reality. After us, this will be as dead as an LP.

There are many many people that still buy and prefer games from the 60's and 70's. There are completely different forums for those folks. Pinside and its members is generally all about DMD games and that is fine, but there is much more to pinball than these games created in this span of time.

I'm still shocked that just because 99 JPop games were sold or maybe 1000 WOZ that this is some major accomplishment. Go through IPDB and look at the production numbers from 91-93. That is what a healthy pinball industry looks like. The one we have now is on life support. I would stake my entire collection on the fact that you will NEVER see TAF production numbers for a single game ever again, let alone for an entire year between Stern, JJP and Jpop combined.

#29 12 years ago

Yes i think time together with the current new crop of pins will drop the price on the late 90's pins.

Luckily for me i collect or buy for the fun,enjoyment of pinball and not as an investment

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from Craigmack:

How is market size going to double or triple for a game that is not relevant with the past 2+ generations? As much as I love pinball, this is the reality. After us, this will be as dead as an LP.

Among those who still buy physical copies of music, vinyl is the preferred format. Myself included. CD production facilities are closing, while record pressing plants are currently backed up with orders for months.

Agree with the rest of your post, but the LP isn't a valid comparison.

#31 12 years ago

I dunno, to me it seems that the pins from the 60's and 70's are too old and too rare to have market presence. I Think the solid state machines are holding their value or increasing. More players get into this collecting game every day.

And selling out 1000 machines is great, but not enough to "flood the market" with new games. There were what, 17k firepowers made? and it isn't super easy to find.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from Craigmack:

I'm still shocked that just because 99 JPop games were sold or maybe 1000 WOZ that this is some major accomplishment. Go through IPDB and look at the production numbers from 91-93. That is what a healthy pinball industry looks like. The one we have now is on life support. I would stake my entire collection on the fact that you will NEVER see TAF production numbers for a single game ever again, let alone for an entire year between Stern, JJP and Jpop combined.

I'm not saying the market is going to double or triple, that's what others said that in their opinion will keep prices going up........I don't buy it, nor do I think 25k will ever be hit again either! Not even close....

But pinball is not on "life support", there is huge demand for new technology and innovation and JJP and JPOP are delivering so far and Stern is catching up.....

Maybe you should be "shocked" at the price, not the production numbers....JPOP has a waiting list for people who may drop out...

Quoted from shock_me:

You won't get a nice Fathom or Centaur for much less than $2000 these days. They're both from 1981.

Exactly, we'll be saying the same thing a decade from now, you won't get a nice "___________" for much less than 2k these days......

As for the automobile comparison....we don't buy new cars to "collect", we buy old ones......I buy new machines to "collect" and play because I like them...totally different...the collectibility of my new machine is GUARANTEED to be worth more than any 1990's classic.....

Ever heard of buy low/sell high....the top 10 have nowhere to go but down!

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from Craigmack:

Sure JPop got deposits on the 99 games, it will be interesting to see the conversion ratio to fully paid as the economy continues its spiral into the abyss.

+1. I'll bite...90% conversion rate for original depositors...100% will be spoken for on release.

Quoted from Craigmack:

How is market size going to double or triple for a game that is not relevant with the past 2+ generations?

If - Two words. Retro gaming. As the apps hit the younger market, more interest in pins is inevitable, it's just numbers. How many dls of the PInball Arcade? Zen? They are playing Pac-Man again of all things! And they love the pinball simulations. If they had the chance to play the real thing, they would love it. My kids do already. I was there at the outset of all video gaming. Clothes and fashion move in cycles, and repeat. Perhaps pins and VGs will also.

If not - Inevitable slow death. Won't affect us though, as long as we can fix em.

#34 12 years ago

I would love for the prices to drop though, because that means it will be easier for me to buy them! I just don't think it's gonna happen soon.

#35 12 years ago

It is a valid comparison because how many 10-18 years today purchase their music on vinyl? Yes I understand those of us who remember how music is supposed to sound before it is digitally compressed into garbage prefer it, especially playing on a nice tube amp. But to those customers of today, its an unknown quantity.

My boys know pinball (ages 10 and 7) but only because of myself and their grandfathers. Their friends have no idea what pinball is and even when they have the opportunity to play they lose interest quickly. Pinball was a generational thing. It stood for rebellion, for "cool", for showing off to girls, for guys to look at sexy artwork. All of those things are gone with games of today. The artwork is a joke, the games aren't masculine or sexy, they are constant rehashes of what set the bar in the 90's or before. I would be embarrassed to have a Wizard of Freakin Oz in my gameroom. I wish things were different. I have loved this game for 30 years now, but its not.

#36 12 years ago

How do you account for the future generation of collectors? It won't be pinball machines fellas, every day they become more irrelevant to the general public unless the JJP's of the world and innovation can change that.....

"I collect this or that because I grew up with it......" So who is going to keep buying these pins as you old farts get older Plus, at 70, you got no shot of getting those pins up and down stairs anymore!

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

If they had the chance to play the real thing, they would love it

All the "kids" 20 and under that see my machines flip out. They LOVE em. One of my good friends 8 year old son wouldn't get off bride of pinbot. He was begging his mom to get a machine for their house.

The worst thing for pinball is broken machines in the wild. And I almost NEVER see a row of machines where they are all working. This includes new games. The dave and busters near me has tron, rolling stones, and some stern casino game i am forgetting at the moment. Last time i went, 2 of the three were busted.

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from Craigmack:

It stood for rebellion, for "cool", for showing off to girls, for guys to look at sexy artwork.

Really.....I don't think so, I can't remember any girls being impressed with my pinball playing skills! That's hysterical....

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I can't remember any girls being impressed with my pinball playing skills!

then practice more

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

The worst thing for pinball is broken machines in the wild

OMG +1000. I was so chagrined to see kids pumping quarters into a SW with apparent broken eos switches among other things. They would play a ball and walk off. Right next to JP with a broken right flipper. No wonder they think pinball is boring.

Quoted from iceman44:

How do you account for the future generation of collectors?

Advertising. WMS is doing a giant new campaign right now. All over the internet called Pinball Arcade.

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

then practice more

Oh I will, it's just makes me less appealing to my wife and 3 girls.....I'm just a dork now versus being the big time athlete growing up....somehow pinball won't cut that way for me....

Nice collection of old pins Craigmack....how did a game from 2008 make it onto your wish list

And btw, my wife and girls can't wait to play WOZ.....so what do you think about that!

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Advertising. WMS is doing a giant new campaign right now. All over the internet called Pinball Arcade.

I know, got it for my playstation 3! Pretty cool....and it's so true, the machines in the wild are in crap condition, but I stood there and watched some little kids playing TF LE at Eric's in Breckenridge and the problem is they have no clue what they are trying to do and lose interest quickly....

#43 12 years ago

Great discussion. Pinball is exploding now like never before with the increase of quality with VP games, people are craving the real thing. As arcade video collecting hit a wall as far as prices go and has dropped, possibly due to people being numb to the "arcade machine experience" due to overexposure of video games everywhere. Pinball is not easily recreated anywhere except standing in front of a machine, the general public is now catching on and prices aren't dropping anytime soon.

#44 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I could care less, I don't buy pins as an investment.

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

but I stood there and watched some little kids playing TF LE at Eric's in Breckenridge and the problem is they have no clue what they are trying to do and lose interest quickly....

Thats what killed it a decade ago. New manufactures have to get casual players back. Another topic though...

#46 12 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

Right on, if you can keep that mindset this hobby becomes so much more fun!

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

but I stood there and watched some little kids playing TF LE at Eric's in Breckenridge and the problem is they have no clue what they are trying to do and lose interest quickly

Ok using my Pac-Man thinking, and your statement, logically one would conclude that EM games would be more popular since they are even more retro and simpler. oh and cheaper.

But that does not seem to be the case. It's almost as if the late 80's early 90's are the standard which draws new people in(assuming we consider current games similar to those). Maybe, hope against hope, the latest "fresh" batch could reset that. The big LCD monitor could give a lot more info and be easier to read/see/acknowledge than a DMD. It could even be more engaging.

#48 12 years ago

I think you've got a lot of different factors at work here. Do you have new pins coming to the market? Yes. But most of these pins aren't being purchased by operators, they are being purchased by collectors. The existing pins that are out there from B/W for the most part were routed. Those pins were already paid off on route and made money for the purchaser. When the operators sold them off they had made their money off of them and whatever they got from them when sold was an extra. If they bought them at $3500, they weren't going to sell them for $2000. Who would buy them? Plus, the market to own a pinball machine wasn't there like it is now. You could go out on location and play the latest and greatest table for $.50, $.75, whatever, and you didn't have to haul it to your house, pay for the upkeep, learn to work on it, etc.

Fast forward to today. Pins for the most part aren't being purchased to be routed. Collectors are buying them for multiple reasons; you can't hardly find pinball in the wild anymore, kids from the 70's, 80's, and 90's are older and have the disposable income to afford to own pinball machines, plus they want to recapture a little of their youth, etc. For the most part, if you want to play pinball, true pinball, you need to buy a machine, or know someone who owns machines. Stern knows the collector market is where the money is to be made now, and are catering to that crowd. Gone are the days when they could sell a run of 10K machines to operators, they aren't out there anymore. So instead of selling 10K widgets for $50 for example, they are trying to sell 2000 widgets for $200. They've had to raise prices to make money, plus to satisfy the pinball collector rather than the operator, the LE's are sporting more toys, etc. Used NIB pins are not going to be sold like routed pins were, as they haven't made the purchaser any money. Sure, some have depreciated, but some are appreciating in value. If I spend $6K on a NIB pin, as a collector I'm not going to sell it for $1500, it hasn't earned me a dime, and it should be in damn good shape.

As pinball collecting becomes more popular, the demand for the older pins has gone up, and so have the prices. The alternate is a NIB pin. As people above have said, many new hobbyist aren't willing to spend $5K and up for a pin, so they look for the older machines, driving the price higher. The last of the operators for the most part know what the market is for routed games and as they get out of the business or turn over their "fleet", they can get more for their pins selling to hobbyist. It's a catch 22 for them, as it's harder and harder for them to make money on location with new pins due to the costs.

JJP and JPOP/Ben Heck have seen what collectors are willing to shell out and they are getting a piece of the market. JJP has said that they have a plan for their pins to be operated profitably, we'll see. I personally think that pinball in the "wild" is dead, and isn't coming back, but we'll see.

Bottom line is, since the supply of routed "cheap" pins is all but gone, I can't see how pin prices will go down. Pinball is now a boutique hobby market and will be priced accordingly.

Edit: I see as I wrote my book this thread has grown.

#49 12 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

Fast forward to today. Pins for the most part aren't being purchased to be routed. Collectors are buying them for multiple reasons; you can't hardly find pinball in the wild anymore,

Actually, more and more "collectors" (aka, home pin buyers) are putting their pins on location to off-set some of their "hobby" expenditure.

#50 12 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

iceman44 said:If anybody cares about "pins holding value" the inevitable is coming down the road and many of you will say so what, I'm a pinball purist and I don't care about what anybody else thinks, I will always love my old machines........really? When they are worth half of what you paid?

Oh come on! I get sick of people spouting that line every time. You make people who are concerned about the value of their pins sound like they don't care about anything else! Look, if you pay 3 times the going rate for a pin then when you tire of it and want to sell/trade it for a different pin, you'll find your choices will be restricted or you'll have to throw a load more cash in on the deal. Maybe some people here can afford not to think about the value of their collection and just buy what they want but for most of us it is important and we couldn't afford to buy pins if we didn't make sure we bought and sold at the best prices.

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-a-thought-on-future-value-of-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.