Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by JBK
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

which one would you choose and why? JP seems a lot like Last Action Hero to me.....thoughts?

#2 9 years ago

Jurassic Park has a dinosaur that eats balls.

What more do you need?

#3 9 years ago

Is this a serious question? The two aren't even in the same class. No where close.

#4 9 years ago

Add a poll to the thread.
I would take JP.

#5 9 years ago

JP in landslide.

#6 9 years ago

I have both and like them for different reasons. I don't know why people hate SMB so much. It looks like based on your collection that you already have one. Do you have an opportunity to trade for a JP or something? I've never played LAH so can't comment on how similar it might be to JP. Just based on theme, I'd say ditch LAH, keep Mario and get JP.

I really love both themes. If I could only have one, JP wins, but it's not a fair matchup for me given that I'm working on a t-rex replacement mod.

#7 9 years ago

JP blows away a lot of games that many on here consider A list games. Very hard to beat out that game. SMB is a middle of the road game at best. Like I tell anyone who asks for bad advice. Play both a lot and you decide what's best for you. Nobody can tell you which game you should buy more than you.

#8 9 years ago

Owned both and sold both but jp was definitely better but its also 400to 600 more but smd has its place in a collection also especially if you have a family but oth are not bad but I replaced them with much better machines inmy opinion

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I have both and like them for different reasons. I don't know why people hate SMB so much. It looks like based on your collection that you already have one. Do you have an opportunity to trade for a JP or something? I've never played LAH so can't comment on how similar it might be to JP. Just based on theme, I'd say ditch LAH, keep Mario and get JP.
I really love both themes. If I could only have one, JP wins, but it's not a fair matchup for me given that I'm working on a t-rex replacement mod.

I agree with you, both Jurassic Park and SMB are awesome games. Last Action Hero is very similar to Jurassic Park in rules so it might be worth the trade for JP.

#10 9 years ago

I have owned a Jurassic Park in the past, and at the right price, I would get another one.
I think the problem with Super Mario Brothers is we all grew up playing the video game and loved it, to me this pIn was lost in translation.
It didn't bring back any of those childhood feelings.
I almost feel like they should have done the baby pacman treatment to this title.

#11 9 years ago

JP has the same style rules of TAF (shoot ramp, light scoop, start mode) and the layout is a clone of Whirlwind- and it's version of ''tour the mansion'' is ''System shut down'' , pretty cool.

Mario Bros is not a bad theme, it has good sounds and interesting playfield layout, but it is a one trick pony with that left ramp, nothing else to really shoot for, all the points are on the left ramp.

JP by a mile.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Mario Bros is not a bad theme, it has good sounds and interesting playfield layout, but it is a one trick pony with that left ramp, nothing else to really shoot for, all the points are on the left ramp.

I guess that's where my disconnect with other pinball collectors might come from. I see myself as more of an objective oriented player vs. a high score player. SMB has a lot of objectives and my goal is to activate (and accomplish when I can) all modes and destroy all castles. I want to become Super and activate 3 ball multiball, not for the points, but because it's fun.

I guess I look at it more like the Super Mario Bros video game for NES. I never understood why they bothered putting a point score on the game. Playing a game strictly for points just seems kind of boring.

Sure, I can understand the mentality of high scores and that being a means to compare your "skills" to another, and certainly that's the measure in tournaments. And, sure, a better designed ruleset may better incentivise completing objectives with more balanced scoring, but in my opinion a game like SMB can be totally enjoyed outside of the drive for getting the high score.

I have to get the high score, so let's just spam the ramp and have a boring time! I don't get it.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I guess that's where my disconnect with other pinball collectors might come from. I see myself as more of an objective oriented player vs. a high score player. SMB has a lot of objectives and my goal is to activate (and accomplish when I can) all modes and destroy all castles. I want to become Super and activate 3 ball multiball, not for the points, but because it's fun.
I guess I look at it more like the Super Mario Bros video game for NES. I never understood why they bothered putting a point score on the game. Playing a game strictly for points just seems kind of boring.
Sure, I can understand the mentality of high scores and that being a means to compare your "skills" to another, and certainly that's the measure in tournaments. And, sure, a better designed ruleset may better incentivise completing objectives with more balanced scoring, but in my opinion a game like SMB can be totally enjoyed outside of the drive for getting the high score.
I have to get the high score, so let's just spam the ramp and have a boring time! I don't get it.

Well, I guess point taken. A really good player will not want to play SMB, and certainly not in a tournament.

For those that want to explore, have a fun theme and not care about their score, then SMB might be for them. SMB is a very easy game in comparison, and JP is not that hard of a game either.

#14 9 years ago

JP has the same style rules of TAF (shoot ramp, light scoop, start mode) and the layout is a clone of Whirlwind- and it's version of ''tour the mansion'' is ''System shut down'' , pretty cool.
JP by a mile.

Actually most of the points lie in completing the mini games and don't really have a whole lot to do with the left ramp. I can score just as many points in exclamation round on the lower plaufield or in hitting multiple jackpots during multiball without using the left ramp. The idea that the left ramp is the only shot I think came from people not getting into the depth of the game.

That being said I would personally choose JP but SMB is a great, underrated pin in its own right.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Actually most of the points lie in completing the mini games and don't really have a whole lot to do with the left ramp. I can score just as many points in exclamation round on the lower plaufield or in hitting multiple jackpots during multiball without using the left ramp. The idea that the left ramp is the only shot I think came from people not getting into the depth of the game.
That being said I would personally choose JP but SMB is a great, underrated pin in its own right.

a lot of good points in exclamation round, sure, but you can go right to a billion points by looping the ramp consecutively at 10 million a pop.

#16 9 years ago

No contest, JP wins...

#17 9 years ago

JP by a mile.

#18 9 years ago

JP baby

#19 9 years ago

a lot of good points in exclamation round, sure, but you can go right to a billion points by looping the ramp consecutively at 10 million a pop.

That is true. The left ramp is certainly the key feature in the game I am not arguing that point for certain. It is a great game for beginners and people that aren't serious pinheads. however, the multitude of games within the game keep me coming back. Of course I am also biased as an avid NES collector as well.

#20 9 years ago

JP all day long, better theme, better rules, better toys, better multiballs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 17.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-vs-super-mario-bros and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.