(Topic ID: 305370)

Jurassic Park The Pin (Stern) owners club. Welcome home, Jurassic Park!

By Flyfalcons

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,091 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by PoMC
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

434541496_961255179121069_8574537738435124613_n (resized).jpg
IMG_0102 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0103 (resized).jpeg
20240328_221559 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240328_221425_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20240328_221154 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240313-215459 (resized).png
20240313_213744 (resized).jpg
20240313_213728 (resized).jpg
IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
20240129_212229 (resized).jpg
JDJP-UpisdeDown1 (resized).jpg
JDJP-UpisdeDown2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2533 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flyfalcons.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Welcome to the owners club for Stern's 2021 release of Jurassic Park: The Pin! A place to discuss playing, maintaining, and modding this game, marketed toward home use.

Game design: Jack Danger
Code: Waison Cheng
Art: Johnny Crap

Let's start with the obligatory promotional materials:

Stern game page:
https://sternpinball.com/affordable-home-game/jurassic-park-pin/

Official game trailer:

Features video:

Gameplay reveal:

FB_IMG_1638722477044 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1638722477044 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

One of the questions I have repeatedly seen is, how big is the cabinet? Here is a size comparison picture next to a standard Stern cabinet (BKSOR Pro). The top of the backbox on Jurassic Park is approximately six inches lower than the Pro cabinet, and height at the front of the cabinet (flippers) is approximately one inch shorter. Height will vary slightly based on how far you have the the legs threaded out. The length of the cabinet from front to back is also a couple inches shorter than a Pro. The playfield itself is standard size. The game takes four balls.

IMG_163871911913F (resized).jpgIMG_163871911913F (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

Game rules:

1205210859 (resized).jpg1205210859 (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

Shipping weight is listed at 240 pounds:

1205210858 (resized).jpg1205210858 (resized).jpg
#5 2 years ago

Jurassic Park: The Pin is based on Stern Spike 2 architecture. Standard service and adjustments menu and controls are included.

1205210907 (resized).jpg1205210907 (resized).jpg
#6 2 years ago

Notable playfield design features include a jump ramp, a 180 ramp into a T-Rex head that spits the ball out, a raptor pit with switches on three sides, and a Newton ball to a captive ball that can be hit up into the pop bumpers.

1205210921a_HDR (resized).jpg1205210921a_HDR (resized).jpg1205210922_HDR (resized).jpg1205210922_HDR (resized).jpg1205210922b_HDR (resized).jpg1205210922b_HDR (resized).jpg
#7 2 years ago

The lockdown bar's Start button is wired to the electronics. You will need to disconnect it when setting it aside. The playfield is secured with a bolt that requires a 7/16" wrench or socket to remove.

1205210920a_HDR (resized).jpg1205210920a_HDR (resized).jpg

#14 2 years ago

Some playing notes based on my first weekend with the machine, as well as watching Jack's streams:

If you hold the left flipper on plunge, you can allow the ball to dead bounce off both flippers and into the Raptor pen. It takes just the right amount of speed, though. Too soft or too hard on the plunge and the ball may take a bad bounce into an outlane. This also works when hitting the right orbit, but you won't have ball save to help you out.

It is true you only need the middle drop target down to hit the T-Rex shot (easier from right flipper, BTW). However, if the right target is still up, the ball tends to brush it when the T-Rex drops it, and it can get redirected SDTM. Beneficial to get the right drop target down before hitting T-Rex. The ball will safely come back to the right flipper.

Multiballs will open a paddock but not continue them if they weren't previously opened. Multiballs will advance paddocks if already opened. For this reason, I try to open all five paddocks before starting a multiball.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Matpal:

How would you guys rate this so far? Compared to the Pro version? I want to hop on it, but the "resale-ability" of PIN versions makes me a bit leary as does the reported cheaper feel. But sadly, a Pro is out of my reach right now.

I am really enjoying mine. Unlike a mode-based game, how and when you choose to complete the objectives to get to the wizard mode is up to you. This is every bit a real pinball machine, and I'm finding myself hitting the Start button again a lot after finishing a game.

#21 2 years ago

A video of our unboxing and initial impressions of the Pin. The video is mostly geared towards people who are newer to pinball and we don't get too much into the weeds with the build and gameplay of this machine. Hoping to do a more in depth look once we get more time on it. Right now I'm on the road, so I don't get to play with my new toy.

#23 2 years ago

So we were playing on the second day of ownership and I noticed the raptor gate had rotated out due to a lost screw at the upper attach post. I looked all around for it but could not find it, so I borrowed one from the middle post of the clear plastic adjacent to the return wireform on the right side. Turns out, watching my video, that screw had never been installed at the factory. I'm not sure where I'm going with this but does anyone know if that is a 4-40 or 6-32 screw?
1205210922_HDR (resized).jpg1205210922_HDR (resized).jpg

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Maxforwardspeed:

Great video! Excited to join the JP Home club too! Our pin delivery was supposed to be yesterday, but sadly refused it due to damage based on the discussion I had with the distributor as they were unloading it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/refused-delivery-on-our-first-pin
Being our first machine, the distro said to refuse it so they can unpack and inspect for damage.....Still not sure I did the right thing there, but regardless hoping we get it back soon!

Oh no! My box had a tear in it, but I was able to inspect before I accepted delivery and fortunately the machine was untouched. Sorry to hear about your delay in receiving your game, but best to wait a short time and make sure you get one in good condition. Especially because it's your first machine! Welcome to the club!

1203211549 (resized).jpg1203211549 (resized).jpg
#31 2 years ago
Quoted from captainmuddflap:

Just curious if it would be better or more solid with commercial grade especially when I got a set just sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

One issue you will have is the start button is integrated into the lock bar on the Pin. The standard bar with the action button just pushes on the leaf switch integrated into the Pro; this is a different setup.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from JordyRamone:

So I'm selling all my retro video game collection in order to get this machine. I don't have any machines but i have wanted one for a while. I cannot wait to get this in my house and play it.

Right on, Jordy! Taking a new pin out of its box is a very satisfying thing, indeed. Once pinball sucks you in, the video games don't get as much attention I've found.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Does the shooter lane not have an autoplunge for failed soft plunges? I’ve noticed it doesn’t do anything if it happens unlike every other spike2 stern I have. Anyone else have this or am I having a problem?

It does have an auto plunge, but my experience mirrors yours in that it will not fire on a failed plunge. Could be a software fix but that would be dependant on hardware (switch, etc) that would detect a failed plunge.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Bluthgg:

What is a failed plunge?
One issue I noticed is that the trough eject sometimes double fires, I’m wondering if the opto is dirty and causing it.

When you plunge but the ball does not make it on to the playfield, and it falls back down the plunger lane.

I see Jack Danger posted a picture on his Facebook of a JP Pin box, so hopefully we'll see more gameplay videos from him on his production machine soon!

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Cellprocessing:

Well got my JDJP really late tonight. I set it up and played a quick game. But the back box lights on the spike 2 board are not turning on. Anyone have an idea? Box was in good condition. Looked like a little bit of the corner took a hit on the bottom. I wonder if just replacing the Spike 2 board will fix it?

Have you checked the security of the connections going to the board, and your settings menu to confirm no one turned them off? If so, I would recommend contacting your distributor about the issue.

#52 2 years ago

Comparison of Pro and Pin lockdown bars.

1212210859 (resized).jpg1212210859 (resized).jpg1212210900 (resized).jpg1212210900 (resized).jpg
#53 2 years ago

Getting set up for a stream on Twitch soon. One of my league team mates is hosting.

www.Twitch.tv/NerdOnDemand

1212211718a_HDR (resized).jpg1212211718a_HDR (resized).jpg
#64 2 years ago

I was on tonight. Decided to focus only on rescues to get to Restore Power and made it. Also played through Escape Nublar and put up a 21M. Restore Power mode is very fun!

1215211814_HDR (resized).jpg1215211814_HDR (resized).jpg1215211821_HDR (resized).jpg1215211821_HDR (resized).jpg
#70 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

how do u get to restore power mode

It takes 25 rescues to light Restore Power. Start it with the T-Rex shot (it will be the only shot lit, very obvious).

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

I just joined the club and I’m having the ball fly off the end of the ramps every so often. Anyone else having that issue? Any fixes?

See post #9 in this thread. Mine looks like it had alread been bent inward at the factory.

#90 2 years ago

That was a good game this morning. Restore Power is more fun to me than Escape Nublar, but the sheer number of shots needed to light a super jackpot makes me feel like RP should be a multiball.

Likewise, considering that the T-Rex head is so prominent, the stand up targets reset after you lose a ball, and it takes three shots to start T-Rex multiball, it seems like not a big enough moment to get T-Rex Multiball. Only two balls and a short ball save time means you lose one ball and it's over pretty quickly. Personally, I feel like more reward for the effort with the T-Rex is warranted.

1223210930a (resized).jpg1223210930a (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#129 2 years ago
Quoted from Kragnaxos:

First time owner as of 12-23, first time mechanic as of 01-10. As my 12 year old son was beating my high score, I noticed that Raptor multi-ball kept triggering. The next game, I got it to start before the game.
The trigger at the bottom of the raptor pen seemed to be catching on the rubber occasionally. After that, any vibration in the case would cause it to respond. A little push on the back side of the trigger, and moving the rubber slightly seems to have cleaned it up for now.
Yes, lots of multiball action is fun, but when you can trigger it just by hitting a flipper before you start the game, that's not fun.

Good job diagnosing and correcting. My Raptor pit switches also needed some tweaking so they wouldn't activate so easily. Other than a missing screw holding the Raptor pit gate in place, I haven't had any other maintenance items yet. Still having fun with this game and my five year old dino nut daughter is enamored with it.

1204210817a_HDR (resized).jpg1204210817a_HDR (resized).jpg
#137 2 years ago
Quoted from Maxforwardspeed:

Umm, were we supposed to wax the playfield out of the box? I'm having an oh s**t moment. What are you guys using for that?

No, ready to go out of the box.

#141 2 years ago

For anyone still trying to get one of these, a Spokane-area dealer just made one available.

Screenshot_20220113-081114 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220113-081114 (resized).png
1 week later
#168 2 years ago
Quoted from JordyRamone:

Oh wow. So I just watched a bit of jack dangers stream and that machine definitely doesn't eject sdtm and lands safely on the right flipper. Do you think adjusting the trex would be difficult? I'm pretty new with these. Haha.

My first thought is you whole machine is leaning left. The T-Rex should drop the ball down to the right to safely go to the right flipper.

#169 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

My first thought is your whole machine is leaning left. The T-Rex should drop the ball down to the right to safely go to the right flipper.

1 week later
#201 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Does this pin have any particle board in it?

The cabinet and playfield are made with moisture resistant MDF.

2 weeks later
#243 2 years ago
Quoted from Datsun_Z:

Long time listener, first time caller. FedEx just made a delivery here.

Congrats! Do you have it up and running yet?

1 month later
#332 2 years ago

You can loosen your tilt bob or remove it, this will give you more movement in saving the ball and giving you longer game times while you get more experience with it. As you get better, bring the tilt bob back to limit your nudging.

#367 2 years ago

One technique I use in this game, which can reduce the repetitive nature of completing the paddocks, is to try and aim only for the lit rescues. This adds some variety and challenge, and making it to Restore Power is worth the effort. I'll also find myself completing paddocks without consciously trying to.

1 month later
#397 1 year ago

Dang that's too easy. I'd just be happy with the drops not resetting every time I drain a ball. Then again I'm still running old code so maybe that got resolved?

5 months later
#497 1 year ago

Glad to see it went to a deserving home. I'm bummed that I didn't have the room to keep it, but I really enjoyed owning and playing it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

3,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Staten Island, NY
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flyfalcons.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-the-pin-sternowners-club-welcome-home-jurassic-park?tu=Flyfalcons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.