(Topic ID: 305370)

Jurassic Park The Pin (Stern) owners club. Welcome home, Jurassic Park!

By Flyfalcons

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,094 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by PoMC
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

94df7c_4a86c4f8007c4bcaa1a673ee93f8f6be~mv2 (resized).jpg
434541496_961255179121069_8574537738435124613_n (resized).jpg
IMG_0102 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0103 (resized).jpeg
20240328_221559 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240328_221425_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20240328_221154 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240313-215459 (resized).png
20240313_213744 (resized).jpg
20240313_213728 (resized).jpg
IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
20240129_212229 (resized).jpg
JDJP-UpisdeDown1 (resized).jpg
JDJP-UpisdeDown2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2533 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,094 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 22.
#1 2 years ago

Welcome to the owners club for Stern's 2021 release of Jurassic Park: The Pin! A place to discuss playing, maintaining, and modding this game, marketed toward home use.

Game design: Jack Danger
Code: Waison Cheng
Art: Johnny Crap

Let's start with the obligatory promotional materials:

Stern game page:
https://sternpinball.com/affordable-home-game/jurassic-park-pin/

Official game trailer:

Features video:

Gameplay reveal:

FB_IMG_1638722477044 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1638722477044 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

One of the questions I have repeatedly seen is, how big is the cabinet? Here is a size comparison picture next to a standard Stern cabinet (BKSOR Pro). The top of the backbox on Jurassic Park is approximately six inches lower than the Pro cabinet, and height at the front of the cabinet (flippers) is approximately one inch shorter. Height will vary slightly based on how far you have the the legs threaded out. The length of the cabinet from front to back is also a couple inches shorter than a Pro. The playfield itself is standard size. The game takes four balls.

IMG_163871911913F (resized).jpgIMG_163871911913F (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

Game rules:

1205210859 (resized).jpg1205210859 (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

Shipping weight is listed at 240 pounds:

1205210858 (resized).jpg1205210858 (resized).jpg
#5 2 years ago

Jurassic Park: The Pin is based on Stern Spike 2 architecture. Standard service and adjustments menu and controls are included.

1205210907 (resized).jpg1205210907 (resized).jpg
#6 2 years ago

Notable playfield design features include a jump ramp, a 180 ramp into a T-Rex head that spits the ball out, a raptor pit with switches on three sides, and a Newton ball to a captive ball that can be hit up into the pop bumpers.

1205210921a_HDR (resized).jpg1205210921a_HDR (resized).jpg1205210922_HDR (resized).jpg1205210922_HDR (resized).jpg1205210922b_HDR (resized).jpg1205210922b_HDR (resized).jpg
#7 2 years ago

The lockdown bar's Start button is wired to the electronics. You will need to disconnect it when setting it aside. The playfield is secured with a bolt that requires a 7/16" wrench or socket to remove.

1205210920a_HDR (resized).jpg1205210920a_HDR (resized).jpg

#8 2 years ago

I find the challenge of these home pins is that I've never been able to play one! "On location" isn't likely to happen, and I haven't seen one at a show yet.

#9 2 years ago

I'm going to semi-repost in this thread what I've already posted in another thread, in case any futuristic Google travelers find their way here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looks-like-there-s-a-new-stern-home-pin-jurassic-to-hate/page/11#post-6633767

If your ball jumps out of the right wireform often, bend the bracket connected to the Raptor pen to make the wireform 'lean in' a little

20211130_220656 (resized).jpg20211130_220656 (resized).jpg20211130_220613 (resized).jpg20211130_220613 (resized).jpg20211130_220714 (resized).jpg20211130_220714 (resized).jpg

The 1:32 scale Jeep fits perfectly here without any permanent mounting necessary, pinned between the ramps and the spotlight tower (although I intend to make a bracket to put it in a more 'action' pose)

20211202_183014 (resized).jpg20211202_183014 (resized).jpg

#10 2 years ago

How would you guys rate this so far? Compared to the Pro version? I want to hop on it, but the "resale-ability" of PIN versions makes me a bit leary as does the reported cheaper feel. But sadly, a Pro is out of my reach right now.

#11 2 years ago

Random gameplay notes (some are obvious some aren't):

Hold left flipper while plunging for a super skill shot to the Stegosaurus ramp.

Getting the Smart Missile before having entered a paddock, enters a random paddock for you (Hit the target 5 times, which saves you 3 shots. All 5 hits can sometimes be triggered on plunge or by a single shot to the pops).

The only sensor to detect the Triceratops shot is the spinner. This means you can't loop it, as the spinner likely will still be spinning from your first shot. The game won't have been able to know that you've shot it a second time until the spinner comes to a stop.

If you don't make the jump ramp, there's a car crash sound, which is dark and hilarious.

Snikting the ball into the Amber target, either by hitting the smart missile -or- control room first, gives you a supply drop. (turns out this is pretty easy, the timing is pretty generous and the geometry is laid out so that strong shots to the control room goes straight to the pops). The reward for getting a supply drop is listed on the screen above your score and increments with Amber bonuses.

You aren't required to drop all 3 of the T-Rex targets to get it in it's mouth - the middle one is the only one that matters.

Spinosaurus hurry up is increased by shooting the spinners.

It's not enough to just put the ball in the Raptor pen when the Extra Ball insert is lit - you have to put it in there hard enough to hit the upper most sensor.

Airballs that land on the left side plastic get dumped straight to the outlane (I plan on putting some palm trees there to hopefully block that lol).

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Matpal:

How would you guys rate this so far? Compared to the Pro version? I want to hop on it, but the "resale-ability" of PIN versions makes me a bit leary as does the reported cheaper feel. But sadly, a Pro is out of my reach right now.

I own one so obviously I'm biased. If you like fast, flowy, simple machines - this one is hard to beat for the price. Godzilla is a better machine, but realistically the price gap is massive, and the compromises of this machine don't bother me.

#13 2 years ago

Just got mine delivered. There is probably some great security cam footage of me awkwardly getting it up the driveway. I was hoping it would have been lighter/easier to get inside

Can’t wait to get it unboxed and play it!

7BD4C65A-FC58-47B9-81E3-3842AA5C0062 (resized).jpeg7BD4C65A-FC58-47B9-81E3-3842AA5C0062 (resized).jpeg
#14 2 years ago

Some playing notes based on my first weekend with the machine, as well as watching Jack's streams:

If you hold the left flipper on plunge, you can allow the ball to dead bounce off both flippers and into the Raptor pen. It takes just the right amount of speed, though. Too soft or too hard on the plunge and the ball may take a bad bounce into an outlane. This also works when hitting the right orbit, but you won't have ball save to help you out.

It is true you only need the middle drop target down to hit the T-Rex shot (easier from right flipper, BTW). However, if the right target is still up, the ball tends to brush it when the T-Rex drops it, and it can get redirected SDTM. Beneficial to get the right drop target down before hitting T-Rex. The ball will safely come back to the right flipper.

Multiballs will open a paddock but not continue them if they weren't previously opened. Multiballs will advance paddocks if already opened. For this reason, I try to open all five paddocks before starting a multiball.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Matpal:

I am really enjoying mine. Unlike a mode-based game, how and when you choose to complete the objectives to get to the wizard mode is up to you. This is every bit a real pinball machine, and I'm finding myself hitting the Start button again a lot after finishing a game.

#16 2 years ago

That 1:32 sized Jeep comes with a plastic mounting bracket in its packaging. I re-used that plastic bracket and drilled out the dimples on the left and right sides. Fits perfect on the spotlight tower!
20211206_122459 (resized).jpg20211206_122459 (resized).jpg20211206_122508 (resized).jpg20211206_122508 (resized).jpg20211206_122534 (resized).jpg20211206_122534 (resized).jpg

#17 2 years ago

Got it set up, played a few games, loving it! Need to clean playfield though, it’s very dusty.

I did hear something drop in the cab while playing. It’s a nut and I believe it dropped somewhere in the middle right back. I have been looking all over the back of the playfield and can’t find a spot for it. Any ideas?

Also noticed a sticker on the left outlane, does that belong?

093B06BB-AF91-4CE1-A7B7-A3B47A6DC2A6 (resized).jpeg093B06BB-AF91-4CE1-A7B7-A3B47A6DC2A6 (resized).jpegDB90425F-3646-4AC6-8831-205B948FE1DB (resized).jpegDB90425F-3646-4AC6-8831-205B948FE1DB (resized).jpeg
#18 2 years ago

Think I may have found where that nut goes….but it definitely doesn’t fit, which is probably why it fell out after some time.

If anyone else can check their playfield to see if there is a nut that goes there I would appreciate it!

F52B2E05-D2F7-47BF-ADF9-2CD75E43A2F7 (resized).jpegF52B2E05-D2F7-47BF-ADF9-2CD75E43A2F7 (resized).jpeg
#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Bluthgg:

Think I may have found where that nut goes….but it definitely doesn’t fit, which is probably why it fell out after some time.
If anyone else can check their playfield to see if there is a nut that goes there I would appreciate it![quoted image]

Took me a minute to figure out where your pic was taken. Mine indeed has a nut20211206_210824.jpg20211206_210824.jpg

#20 2 years ago

Thanks Aries. I figured that was it but the nut on it definitely doesn’t fit, it’s slightly too big for it. Looks like a nut and a washer right? I’ll find something to put in!

#21 2 years ago

A video of our unboxing and initial impressions of the Pin. The video is mostly geared towards people who are newer to pinball and we don't get too much into the weeds with the build and gameplay of this machine. Hoping to do a more in depth look once we get more time on it. Right now I'm on the road, so I don't get to play with my new toy.

#22 2 years ago

I noticed that the stand up targets next to the T-Rex (the Jeeps) will move whatever flashing rescue shots you have left or right. Hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere else!

#23 2 years ago

So we were playing on the second day of ownership and I noticed the raptor gate had rotated out due to a lost screw at the upper attach post. I looked all around for it but could not find it, so I borrowed one from the middle post of the clear plastic adjacent to the return wireform on the right side. Turns out, watching my video, that screw had never been installed at the factory. I'm not sure where I'm going with this but does anyone know if that is a 4-40 or 6-32 screw?
1205210922_HDR (resized).jpg1205210922_HDR (resized).jpg

#24 2 years ago

Does anybody know if we can install real lockdown bar and rails on this thing? What's the exact dimensions of the current lockdown?

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from captainmuddflap:

Does anybody know if we can install real lockdown bar and rails on this thing? What's the exact dimensions of the current lockdown?

I'm curious why you would get a Home Pin if you planned to upgrade bits to the commercial version. Are you just a lover of commercial lock down bars and rails, or? I have no problem with it, just curious.

#26 2 years ago

Just curious if it would be better or more solid with commercial grade especially when I got a set just sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I'm curious why you would get a Home Pin if you planned to upgrade bits to the commercial version. Are you just a lover of commercial lock down bars and rails, or? I have no problem with it, just curious.

At least for me there are just a few minor things that could be upgraded to make it feel a bit more solid. Is it a game changer? No. Also for me, if they offered a pro version of this pin I would get it. I can’t get any new JP pros…or really any stern machine for that matter.

captainmuddflap I do not think a newer stern lock down will fit. I tried test fitting my mando bar and unless you do some serious modifications, I think it’s a no go. I did add some beer seal to the lock down bar and going to try the suggestions in another thread to add the anti rattle tape to the class and electrical tape to the side rails to make it feel a bit more secure. The beer seal also helped with the noise quite a bit!

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

A video of our unboxing and initial impressions of the Pin. The video is mostly geared towards people who are newer to pinball and we don't get too much into the weeds with the build and gameplay of this machine. Hoping to do a more in depth look once we get more time on it. Right now I'm on the road, so I don't get to play with my new toy.

Great video! Excited to join the JP Home club too! Our pin delivery was supposed to be yesterday, but sadly refused it due to damage based on the discussion I had with the distributor as they were unloading it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/refused-delivery-on-our-first-pin

Being our first machine, the distro said to refuse it so they can unpack and inspect for damage.....Still not sure I did the right thing there, but regardless hoping we get it back soon!

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Maxforwardspeed:

Still not sure I did the right thing

Sending it back had to be tough, but I think you made the right call. Hopefully it all gets sorted out sooner than later.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Maxforwardspeed:

Great video! Excited to join the JP Home club too! Our pin delivery was supposed to be yesterday, but sadly refused it due to damage based on the discussion I had with the distributor as they were unloading it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/refused-delivery-on-our-first-pin
Being our first machine, the distro said to refuse it so they can unpack and inspect for damage.....Still not sure I did the right thing there, but regardless hoping we get it back soon!

Oh no! My box had a tear in it, but I was able to inspect before I accepted delivery and fortunately the machine was untouched. Sorry to hear about your delay in receiving your game, but best to wait a short time and make sure you get one in good condition. Especially because it's your first machine! Welcome to the club!

1203211549 (resized).jpg1203211549 (resized).jpg
#31 2 years ago
Quoted from captainmuddflap:

Just curious if it would be better or more solid with commercial grade especially when I got a set just sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

One issue you will have is the start button is integrated into the lock bar on the Pin. The standard bar with the action button just pushes on the leaf switch integrated into the Pro; this is a different setup.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

One issue you will have is the start button is integrated into the lock bar on the Pin. The standard bar with the action button just pushes on the leaf switch integrated into the Pro; this is a different setup.

So you're saying I should mod the start button to its 'normal' location and get a standard lock bar that doesn't have an action button. Alright I'll add that to my list of mods, I guess!

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Aries_pinside:

So you're saying I should mod the start button to its 'normal' location and get a standard lock bar that doesn't have an action button. Alright I'll add that to my list of mods, I guess!

Gonna take a lot more than that to get a standard receiver and lockdown bar to fit with the way the cabinet is cut.

#34 2 years ago

Just got to Restore Power for the first time!

*SPOILERS*
I’m not completely sure on everything that was going on with the mode but heres what I saw. It looked like it was a timed mode with infinite ball saves until mode ends. I’m not sure if there is a way to extend the timer, or if drains deduct from the timer. I think the goal was to restore power to each paddock (including T-Rex, Raptor, and Spino). I think that hitting each shot gives it a little power or a lot if its blinking. If I’m remembering correctly only one shot would blink at a time, but I don’t know how it changes. I’m sure there is plenty more to learn about this mode. Hopefully DeadFlip will get his copy soon and he can show us how its done.

#35 2 years ago

Does the shooter lane not have an autoplunge for failed soft plunges? I’ve noticed it doesn’t do anything if it happens unlike every other spike2 stern I have. Anyone else have this or am I having a problem?

#36 2 years ago

So I'm selling all my retro video game collection in order to get this machine. I don't have any machines but i have wanted one for a while. I cannot wait to get this in my house and play it.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from JordyRamone:

So I'm selling all my retro video game collection in order to get this machine. I don't have any machines but i have wanted one for a while. I cannot wait to get this in my house and play it.

Right on, Jordy! Taking a new pin out of its box is a very satisfying thing, indeed. Once pinball sucks you in, the video games don't get as much attention I've found.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Does the shooter lane not have an autoplunge for failed soft plunges? I’ve noticed it doesn’t do anything if it happens unlike every other spike2 stern I have. Anyone else have this or am I having a problem?

It does have an auto plunge, but my experience mirrors yours in that it will not fire on a failed plunge. Could be a software fix but that would be dependant on hardware (switch, etc) that would detect a failed plunge.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Sounds like you’re having a problem. Not certain about soft plunges, but it auto fires for ball saves and in multiball.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

It does have an auto plunge, but my experience mirrors yours in that it will not fire on a failed plunge. Could be a software fix but that would be dependant on hardware (switch, etc) that would detect a failed plunge.

What is a failed plunge?

One issue I noticed is that the trough eject sometimes double fires, I’m wondering if the opto is dirty and causing it.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Bluthgg:

What is a failed plunge?
One issue I noticed is that the trough eject sometimes double fires, I’m wondering if the opto is dirty and causing it.

When you plunge but the ball does not make it on to the playfield, and it falls back down the plunger lane.

I see Jack Danger posted a picture on his Facebook of a JP Pin box, so hopefully we'll see more gameplay videos from him on his production machine soon!

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

When you plunge but the ball does not make it on to the playfield, and it falls back down the plunger lane.
I see Jack Danger posted a picture on his Facebook of a JP Pin box, so hopefully we'll see more gameplay videos from him on his production machine soon!

ahh I didn’t realize it was supposed to auto plunge on a failed plunge - I just hear the rev sound of the keep when I do it.

#43 2 years ago

I'm actually having an issue with the ball getting caught between the ball eject ramp and the staging area guide rails. The ramp protrudes above the playfield and allows the ball to get stuck. This is my first pin so I tried upping the power on the trough eject coul, but it just reduced the amount of times the ball gets stuck. Any ideas?

IMG_20211210_182031087~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20211210_182031087~2 (resized).jpg Added over 2 years ago:

Issue resolved! Identified missing part which prevented ball from getting stuck and have requested it be shipped.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from EvilPeaches:

I tried upping the power on the trough

Try lowering the power too. Maybe the ball is coming out too hard and bouncing off of other parts and into that rail. I like to lower the power to the point that it can’t clear the trough and then the slowly raise it until it starts to reliably clear.

For reference, my Trough Eject Power is set at 150.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#45 2 years ago

Well got my JDJP really late tonight. I set it up and played a quick game. But the back box lights on the spike 2 board are not turning on. Anyone have an idea? Box was in good condition. Looked like a little bit of the corner took a hit on the bottom. I wonder if just replacing the Spike 2 board will fix it?

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Cellprocessing:

Well got my JDJP really late tonight. I set it up and played a quick game. But the back box lights on the spike 2 board are not turning on. Anyone have an idea? Box was in good condition. Looked like a little bit of the corner took a hit on the bottom. I wonder if just replacing the Spike 2 board will fix it?

Have you checked the security of the connections going to the board, and your settings menu to confirm no one turned them off? If so, I would recommend contacting your distributor about the issue.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Sounds like you’re having a problem. Not certain about soft plunges, but it auto fires for ball saves and in multiball.

I’m not having any issues with those things

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

Have you checked the security of the connections going to the board, and your settings menu to confirm no one turned them off? If so, I would recommend contacting your distributor about the issue.

I don't see how the connector would have anything to do with it. As the back box lights are part of the spike 2 board. I found the 3 settings for back box lighting from 0 to 100% no change when messing with that. Is there another setting elsewhere?

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from Cellprocessing:

I don't see how the connector would have anything to do with it. As the back box lights are part of the spike 2 board. I found the 3 settings for back box lighting from 0 to 100% no change when messing with that. Is there another setting elsewhere?

Contact your dealer for sure. Sounds like you will need to swap the board. Good news is you can still at least play while waiting for the new one.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

I’m not having any issues with those things

It doesn’t auto fire when a ball rolls back down on the switch. So sounds like you’re good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

3,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Staten Island, NY
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,094 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-the-pin-sternowners-club-welcome-home-jurassic-park?hl=captainmuddflap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.