I posted in JP club topic, but thought I would open to the community in general. Unfortunately, my electronics knowledge is limited so thought I would see if any experts could help me.
I have read everything I can find, but did not uncover my exact scenario with my T-rex side-to-side movement not working (previous owner informed me that he had disabled it, but hadn't had time to diagnose). Here is the situation this far:
- Blue power cable for motor was disconnected, so I reconnected for my testing (disconnected when done since I don’t want the motor running full time).
- Manual side movement is not possible (i.e. try to turn the T-rex by hand and it won't budge - no play in it at all).
- Removed motor from gearbox and manual movement is free (of course) and when looking into gearbox it appears that the gear that is visible is fully intact with all teeth.
- While motor is disconnected when I turn on pin the motor begins to run and never stops running.
- In T-Rex test mode, motor does reverse direction back and forth with press of left and right flipper buttons.
- If I hold the long gear that is attached to the motor while running, I can easily stop its rotation, but seems like the motor itself is still spinning (ie the gear is slipping).
- Voltage to motor is pretty constant 4.5V.
My first thought is why is the motor spinning at all times? Why is this not enough force to turn T-rex, and has this trashed the motor?