Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2015-10-11-23-54-36.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Hi everyone.

I recently bought a Jurassic Park Data East Pinball and require a bit of help with the troublesome T. rex. Basically in a nut shell he is intermittent in his operation. At times the initial T. rex diagnostic test works great, at other times he gets stuck on the bend down part of his motion and can't get back upright. Several minutes later and with the press of the button in the switch test section he will go back up. During some testing I have been unable to get him to collect the ball, the best I have had him do is bend down over the ball, he then gets stuck and munches the ball whilst in the down position and the kicker tries to release the ball.

We have replaced the notorious cable on the back of his head (the one which splits due to constant up and down movement) but it hasn't really helped.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is there anyone who is able to help or point us in the right direction to get this feature working again?

Thanks all for your help.

#2 8 years ago

Hello trex has a stubborn personality some times have you tested all of your switches yet? Your mpu needs to read all of them for it to work right. Mine turned out to be a problem in my mpu. But first check the basics and when I get home I'll tell you exactly where on the board to check. Can't remember off the top of my head

#3 8 years ago

Did you read the thread about the set screw?
Someone mentioned tightening all the screws
as a regular maintenance procedure.

Made sense to me. Hope it helps

#4 8 years ago

Hi Trib and Pinpast,

I haven't seen the thread about the set screws but will have a look.
Also have not looked at the switches. I am new to this pinball ownership thing, are you able to help in guiding me where I might find the switches to test, and how to test them?

Thank you both for your help, it's appreciated

-Paul

#5 8 years ago

No problem. When you look at trex under the play field you will find four leaf switchs. Go into your test mode you spoke of before and push on each switch one at a time. Look at your display and it should register each switch when it is activated. Two are for left and right and two are for up and down. Oh and there is a 5th one that is center. If any of these are not working you will have problems. If one is not working you will need to test the switch to determine if its the problem or if it the wiring or mpu board. It could be the gears in your motor or the motor going bad but that should not be intermittent. Some times the switches just need to be adjust if they are not making proper contact. If the center switch does not register trex will not go down if your top switch does not function he will not go left to right, if the bottom switch does not register he will not eat the ball. I had a problem with my center switch and I had to repair my board but we will cross that road if we need to later. Let me know how it goes

#6 8 years ago

Hi Trib.
I have looked. At the time of testing Rex was in the centre position and sitting upright. This time pressing the down tab and also pressing the start button, he wouldn't go down. The display also did not register the down command. There was a clicking noise when pressing the start button but no noise otherwise.

Thanks for your help. I'm hoping it's an easy fix. Not only are we pinball newbies but also are electronic newbies.

#7 8 years ago

I had a similar problem where he would get stuck in the down position with the ball in his jaws. I popped the hood and saw the set screw was rubbing. I tightened that up and it wasn't a problem anymore.

#8 8 years ago

When trex is centered does the center switch register on when you look at the display? Have you checked the setscrew? Does the motor sound like it's turning or trying to turn? Do you have a multimeter ? Do you have a manual ? Sorry for all the questions but they help us help you

#9 8 years ago

Hi. The T. rex when centred, The centre switch displays as being on.

Have not checked the set screw but am not sure where to find the set screw, what it does, and what I might need to do to it. Can you elaborate?

I do have a manual I found on the Internet.

An interesting update. I did some playing, and when the T. rex was centred, he refused to move down or up, but when in a non centred position (I was able to replicate it on his right side) he would go down and up. Does this provide any extra clues as to what may be wrong, or just muddy the waters?

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

#10 8 years ago

I had a similar intermittent problem with my T-Rex. Not saying this is your issues but it might help:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improperly-functioning-t-rex-jp-and-balrog-lotr

1 week later
#11 8 years ago

Had a look Solder but couldn't find the circuit board you are referring to? Where abouts is it located?

#12 8 years ago

This relay. Check all the solder pads on the underside for cold/cracked joints.
Screenshot_2015-10-11-23-54-36.jpgScreenshot_2015-10-11-23-54-36.jpg

2 weeks later
#13 8 years ago

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I have had a look under the machine (finally) and the piece shown on the photograph looks as in your photo Solder.

Also, slightly unrelated, but the flippers are out of alignment. I can't find any machine specific instructions on how to realign the flippers. Can anyone help me?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-t-rex-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.