Microswitch_Wired_INCORRECTLY.jpg
Microswitch_Wired_CORRECTLY.jpg
cable.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
t-rex-wire.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I am having some issues with my T-REX and with my control room switch.

T-REX: I knew about this issue when I bought the game. Essentially, it moves alright, bends down to pick up the ball (most of the time) but does no clamp down on the ball. The jaw seems to work when it is upright, but not bending down. I have heard that it might be the wiring tightening up when bending down, but not entirely sure. Also, the more I play, the more I notice that my SEXY REXY does not follow the ball very well, and when you hit him, he sometimes doesn't turn to face the ball, therefore he doesn't even bend down. It happened quite a bit yesterday where he wasn't turning properly. Is there anyway I could just disable his left/right movement and just focus on him standing straight facing the ball, and bending down to eat it.. is that possible?

Control room switch: From my understanding, this is a very common issue. I apparently have a missing diode, but also was told to replace the entire switch. Now I am very new to this, and I am a bit confused as to how to go about fixing this. How exactly do I replace the diode/switch?

Thanks in advance!

#2 10 years ago

Don't know about the T-Rex, i had an JP and mine had a broken wire and didn;t pick up the ball either. Could be the same issue.

Control room is very common, mine had the same problem, the diode gets broken very eassily, change it for a bigger diode wich is a bit stronger so it won't break anymore.

#3 10 years ago

There is a setting in the adjustments to disable Left/Right movement of the T-Rex.

#4 10 years ago

oopsallberrys thanks for that info.

Ok, how do I replace the diode? Do I have to solder it in place?

#5 10 years ago

Make sure the wiring on that Control Room switch is nicey-nice. That component takes a hell of a beating on that game, and often the solder joints deteriorate causing problems, typically so much so that you'll have a wire come completely loose.

When I had my JP, I ended up encasing the solder joints in hot glue and never had a problem after that.

For your T-Rex, you likely have a bad connection in the wiring from him. Follow all of his wiring and look for something loose, crimped really badly, or broken.

#7 10 years ago

My Rex is doing the same thing. He was fine, and now he's on a diet. I'm going to hopefully get around to checking him out soon, but if you figure out what is wrong with yours please let us know.

And don't worry, I asked a billion questions when I first got my JP and had issues. I'd get the "Oh, it's easy, just replace the switch" and be all "You don't understand, I have no clue what I'm doing, talk to me like I'm 4 years old and know nothing." When we replaced the switch, we replaced the diode also. I don't honestly know about diode sizes, I just ordered the one that said it would work. Then you fit the diode into the switch, then solder the switch/wires together, then screw the switch into the machine. If I can, I'll take a picture of mine when I get home to show you a little better, of if anyone on here has pictures available to show that would be great too.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

And don't worry, I asked a billion questions when I first got my JP and had issues. I'd get the "Oh, it's easy, just replace the switch" and be all "You don't understand, I have no clue what I'm doing, talk to me like I'm 4 years old and know nothing." When we replaced the switch, we replaced the diode also. I don't honestly know about diode sizes, I just ordered the one that said it would work. Then you fit the diode into the switch, then solder the switch/wires together, then screw the switch into the machine. If I can, I'll take a picture of mine when I get home to show you a little better, of if anyone on here has pictures available to show that would be great too.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info. Yeah sometimes I feel like I am 4 years old and need people to slow down and explain a little bit haha I will keep you posted in regards to the TREX, but since it doesn't really affect gameplay, I just want to focus on the switch right now.

Thanks for the links! I am very new to it, and would love to learn (so I can service my machine myself in the future)

#9 10 years ago

With the control room switch, definitely check that the switch is good, and the wiring/solder points are good, like everyone else has recommended. However, also check how the switch is resting in the subway. If it is bent to far towards the back of the playfield, then the ball can roll through the subway without depressing the switch.

#10 10 years ago

Also, if it wasn't clear, that diode needs to be in place too, the switch won't register without it. Trust me, JP is no fun without that switch active.

#11 10 years ago

Hey Anthony, I guarantee you that the reason the t-rex isn't eating the ball while bent down is because the wire in his neck is broken.

Think about how you would break off a piece of ordinary wire without cutters. You bend it and un-bend it at one location over and over until the wire snaps at that point. The same thing happens to the jaw coil wire in the t-rex.

You should be able to immediately tell that this is the case by having a look at it. Just do the following to check it out:

In diagnostic mode go to the t-rex control settings. Here the start button will raise/lower t-rex. Lower him right down then turn the game off.

While t-rex is lowered down you will see one or two screws on the back of his head. Undo those and you'll remove the main plastic housing for his head. You'll see the coil in there that powers the jaw.

Follow the wire with your eyes from this coil. There is a point where the wire runs through some clips around the base of his assembly and then under the playfield. You should be able to easily see where the wire bends and it will likely be visibly broken.

Here is an example of where to look (t-rex is upright in this photo). Actually seeing this photo reminds me that you could check for this fault simply by removing the front piece of his neck with the two screws accessible while he is upright. You'll need to lower him to repair it though.

If you see that it is broken, then we can give you advice on how to repair it

t-rex-wire.jpgt-rex-wire.jpg

#12 10 years ago

Accidental, thanks so much for that info! I will try this when I get home, take some pics, and get some advice thanks so much!

#13 10 years ago

So I took apart the TREX, and indeed, the wire is cracked.

Advice on where to go from here is greatly appreciated

I will post some pics of the control to get some advice . THANKS!

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#14 10 years ago

Here's the control room. Looks like the diode is missing. Does it have to connect from the first "prong" on the left to the last prong on the right? .. Sorry, not sure what the proper terminology is

image.jpgimage.jpg

#15 10 years ago

The best solution that will never break is to buy or salvage a length of cabling with two wires (see example below) and replace the entire wire from your t-rex.

Can you do basic soldering? Now is a good time to learn if not

To remove the wire you'll need to unsolder the existing one at each end and remove the u-shaped plastic bracket and the clips that allow the cable to run around the base of the t-rex. Make a note of which wires match the terminals at each end. Run the new cable through the same route as the old one, reusing the existing clips if you can.

An alternate solution is to cut the wire at the point that is has broken and splice it. It's probably just as tough of a job because you don't have any spare wire length to play with so you can't wrap the wire to splice it. You could solder it to itself but then you might as well be doing the same solder job at each end to replace the wire.

cable.jpgcable.jpg

#16 10 years ago

Ya I think I am going to try replacing the entire wire. I need to teach myself how to solder, but I am dedicated to getting this fixed!

#17 10 years ago

You'll love the game that much more when Rex moves and eats and you're the one who fixed him

#18 10 years ago

Your switch diode:

I use these pics to check my work.

RussMyers

Microswitch_Wired_CORRECTLY.jpgMicroswitch_Wired_CORRECTLY.jpg Microswitch_Wired_INCORRECTLY.jpgMicroswitch_Wired_INCORRECTLY.jpg

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Your switch diode:

I use these pics to check my work.

Thanks for those pics!

Can anyone tell me what size diode I need, and what that specific switch number is?

#20 10 years ago

On my JP, a previous tech remote-mounted the diode and put quick disconnects on the wires ala arcade buttons, which is what DE should have done at the factory IMO. That way the switch isn't affected by all the banging on the scoop, and there's no solder joint to break - simply slide the connectors back on.

For diode, you should be able to get by with something that handles 6V or more. A 1N4148 from radio shack should work too, I think.

The manual pdf shows how to mount the diode. Put the band on the appropriate side.

Post edited by jpolfer : Wrong diode type.

#21 10 years ago

You can get 1N4004 diodes at any electronic supply for $.07 or less per diode.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=173

It is best to have a bag of these if you work on pinball machines.

They are used all over - on switches, on solenoids, and they have to be there.

Good to have some spare microswitch bodies as well.

DB3: $1.50/each
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=830

RussMyers

#22 10 years ago

So 1N4004 diodes are what I need? I am heading to my local arcade shop to get some stuff. I'm also going to pick up some micro switch bodies. Anything else I should be getting?

#23 10 years ago

So I tested the control room switch with a meter, and it is getting power fine. It was missing the diode. I purchased some IN4004 diodes, soldered them in (with the help of my father) and it still isn't working. Any ideas? The diode is on the right way (the same as on the other switches) but yet it still does not work. I will post some pics when I can, but is there anything else that could be wrong?

#24 10 years ago

The switch, replace it.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The switch, replace it.

Even if it is getting power correctly? When the switch is pressed, the power runs through the switch fine (on the meter)

#26 10 years ago

here are some pics

IMG_0809.JPGIMG_0809.JPG IMG_0813.JPGIMG_0813.JPG

#27 10 years ago

If you think the switch is good, then check continuity to the board.

Otherwise, just replace the switch.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from daley:

If you think the switch is good, then check continuity to the board.

Otherwise, just replace the switch.

Yeah, I will check if all the connections are good, otherwise I may just replace the switch, although I do not think that is the issue.

#29 10 years ago

Good luck! It would have been smart of the programmers to allow the bunker to start modes if the control room switch is faulty.

#30 10 years ago

alright something REALLY strange happened today. I came home to play, and the switch worked!! I got to play stampede, and lit a free ball, but than failed the rest of the game. My next game, I get it in the control about 10 times, and NOTHING HAPPENED

Alright, so I am thinking we just did a bad solder job? Could that be it? The switch and diode obviously worked at least twice, and it was connected correctly. Any ideas?

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Good luck! It would have been smart of the programmers to allow the bunker to start modes if the control room switch is faulty.

didn't WMS have a patent on stuff like that back then?

#32 10 years ago

Your switch might be 'going' bad, mine did the same thing. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not.

But looking at your pics, I would suggest trying to adjust the switch arm so it sticks further up into the trough first. You'd have to make the very end tab more straight, then bend the 'v' part closer together. Press down on the blade and see how far the arm has to move before it 'clicks'. If a ball goes in there fast enough it might not trigger the switch. That's the problem I was having even after replacing the switch.

It might take several tries to get it right, but it's great when you finally figure it out! (then something else will need adjustment!)

#33 10 years ago

Ya k I will try to bend the switch, if that doesn't work, I will try replacing the switch!

#34 10 years ago

I took apart the switch, and I really do think the switch is not being pressed down enough to activate the switch. I tried bending it s a bit, but it seems like the switch itself is just worn out. So I am going to replace the switch. The odd part was that I manually pressed the switch during gameplay, and it would sort of light up the 'A' light when I hit the switch (not even during CHAOS mode, just regular gameplay) but it would not activate the games modes (stampede, etc).. could this be an issue somewhere else alone the wires? The weird part is that it worked properly a couple games ago, and than just stopped again.

#35 10 years ago

The control room only starts modes when it is lit. You light it by shooting the power shed scoop or temporarily with an inlane rollover switch (for example after shooting the ramp). You would probably have been hitting the switch without first lighting the control room

#36 10 years ago

no it is lit when I try. First off the light is lit from the start of the game (correct?) but regardless, I have made sure it was lit when trying. Also, even if it wasn't lit, I would still get the "you didn't say the magic word" message, which I don't

#37 10 years ago

I'd say you could have a short somewhere on that switch matrix. Do other switches in that row or column as the control room switch work fine?

If they work fine, the next step would be to short the switch with a piece of wire, essentially testing the switch or the wire run. If the switch registers when you short the wires together, then it's a switch issue, if not then start tracing the switch matrix paths and see if you can find a short.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from jpolfer:

On my JP, a previous tech remote-mounted the diode and put quick disconnects on the wires ala arcade buttons, which is what DE should have done at the factory IMO. That way the switch isn't affected by all the banging on the scoop, and there's no solder joint to break - simply slide the connectors back on.

DE sort of did this - in later runs of the game, the diode was remote-mounted. Mine is, and it's factory. The switch didn't have disconnects though because it was meant to go on route, not in a basement. It's easier for disconnects to slip off.

#39 10 years ago

Alright so it turns out the switch was just getting old and worn out. It would work if you manually depress the switch with a great deal of force, but the ball would just roll over it to quickly to make it register. I bent the arm to make sure the ball would press the switch, but it still would not register. The switch just was getting worn out, so I purchased a new switch, popped it in, and it works perfectly.

I tried tackling the TREX. I cut the old wire where it was broken, joined some new wire at that point and re-soldered it to the TREX. The jaw worked good when I tested it, but we had to take the joint wires apart to change some stuff around, and when I reconnected it, the jaw wouldn't work anymore. It was getting late, so I decided I would work out the issue tomorrow, but just found it curious that the jaw worked the first time we did it, but the second time it didn't, even though it was the exact same thing.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from AnthonyM88:

joined some new wire at that point

How are you joining the wire? If you are doing this where it was broken, then that point will be getting a lot of stress as the T-Rex bends. as accidental suggested, you should trace the wire and replace the entire run.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from daley:

How are you joining the wire? If you are doing this where it was broken, then that point will be getting a lot of stress as the T-Rex bends. as accidental suggested, you should trace the wire and replace the entire run.

I am joining them with a Marrette, and I didn't put it right where it was broken, I joined them further down the wire where there will be no stress. It was a bit easier for me to do it this way, and like I said worked fine at first. If it doesn't work tonight, I will just replace the entire run.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The switch didn't have disconnects though because it was meant to go on route, not in a basement. It's easier for disconnects to slip off.

Mine came with the disconnects, and I bought it from a family fun center that had their own tech (a family run business). *shrugs* I guess its anyone's guess when the disconnects were added.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

DE sort of did this - in later runs of the game, the diode was remote-mounted. Mine is, and it's factory. The switch didn't have disconnects though because it was meant to go on route, not in a basement. It's easier for disconnects to slip off.

I noticed on mine there's a small board mounted on the underside of the pf, with a diode attached to it but no wires connected. Maybe that's what it's meant for but was never hooked up. Guess I could use it for that.

1 year later
#44 9 years ago

I had the Control Room issue as well and just replaced the switch and diode last night. After installing and booting up it still did not work. I followed the wires and saw the green wire going from switch-to-switch had a severe bend. I straightened it out and bent the connectors on both switches just a hair and wallah ... Bob's you're Uncle!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-t-rex-control-room-switch-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.