(Topic ID: 151513)

Jurassic Park T-Rex bites late, doesn't eat ball - FIXED!

By Renouart

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Renouart
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Break_in_T-Rex_wire_(resized).JPG
T-Rex_mechanism_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Renouart.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hello,
I have been struggling with the T-Rex on my JP. Please note that I originally posted this problem on the JP thread, thought I had figured it out, but obviously not, so restarting as a new thread. The T-Rex had been working fine, then all of a sudden it would bite down on the ball late, after it starts to move up. The video at the link below shows what it is doing.

I thought the problem was the switch that tells when the T-Rex is down, triggering the bite. I replaced the switch - in the square in the picture, same problem. I tried some hacks - to bend the arm to the switch up to trigger it earlier, but it actually gets triggered too early, I think by the set screw for the mechanism. I tried to put a rubber on the knob that triggers the switch, in the circle in the picture, but no help.

I took apart the cover the T.Rex, and nothing looks broken or out of place. Any suggestions on what to look at next, what is causing the mouth to close late would be great - I am at a loss.
Thanks!

T-Rex_mechanism_(resized).jpegT-Rex_mechanism_(resized).jpeg

#3 8 years ago

Yes, the diagnostic works fine, it bends over and up, then when up it chomps a few times. The diagnostic does not test the chomping when down, I don't think it does that. So, it seems like all the functions are there, just the timing that is off.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks for great suggestions, I'll try that and report back.

#9 8 years ago

woody24 and cody_chunn, thank you for the great suggestion about running the diagnostic on the T-Rex. When I had it in manual test, I could get the T-Rex to bend over and chomp - up to a certain point! When it was bent to a certain degree, it would not chomp. I got out the DMM, hooked it up to the contacts for the solenoid, and when it chomps, I see voltage. Once it no longer chomps, no voltage. So maybe there is a lost connection when it is bent over beyond a certain point. When I inspect the big grey wire that snakes around the base, sure enough I see that there is a break. It must be just enough to lose connection when bent all the way down. It is too late for me to fix tonight, but I will get on it tomorrow. Hopefully the other work I did on it will not have messed up the rest of the mech.

#10 8 years ago

Thanks to the suggestion to run the T-rex diagnostic, I figured out it was due to a break in the wire to the solenoid, such that when the T-Rex bent over, it separated the wires so it would not bite, but when upright the wires were pushed close to together and made contact. BOTH the white and black had a break in them - how the wire appeared is below. Cut open the sheath, reconnected both black and white, now works like a champ at chomping. I appreciate everyone's help!

Break_in_T-Rex_wire_(resized).JPGBreak_in_T-Rex_wire_(resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods
Other
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation
Decals
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Oakhurst, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution
Pinball Machine
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Renouart.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-t-rex-bites-late-doesnt-eat-ball?tu=Renouart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.