You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150622_192834566.jpg
jpswitch2.jpg
jpswitch1.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Just got this Saturday.I was wondering why my "A" light wasn't working for CHAOS and why I couldn't cycle through any of the missions (it stays on Stampede). I found this under the control room (I removed the switch):

jpswitch1.jpgjpswitch1.jpgjpswitch2.jpgjpswitch2.jpg

My questions are, do I solder the two white/green wires to that first tab on my new switch? If so, will this solve my problem or is there something-else I should expect? If not, where do they go? Do I need a diode, if so at what rating?

Also, should those green/black wires be soldered to the first switch as well or is it supposed to have a spade terminal?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 8 years ago

This should help.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks. That helps, almost. Where did you get this from? I still need to know if both wht/grn wires go to the tab. I'm assuming they do, but confirmation would save me some soldering and guessing.

#4 8 years ago

I think it's out of a Stern manual, but not positive. The row and column wires are daisy chained so all except the last switch in each row/column will have two wires on each tab. So yes, I would think both wht/grn wires go to that tab or the chain would get broken.

#5 8 years ago

Makes sense. The hack has them together, but you can't always trust what you see with a hack. I'll fix it this weekend (hopefully) and see what happens. Thanks again!

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

The hack has them together, but you can't always trust what you see with a hack.

That's a good philosiphy, but the good news is that nothing can go bad from having them together. The worst case is that some other switch would not work, and based on the fact they were tied together I doubt that.

#7 8 years ago

Look at this link. Might help.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club/page/4#post-1939477

mine does not have the remote diode so I just have one wg one the side that your tab is missing and a diode between the two outer.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Look at this link. Might help.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club/page/4#post-1939477
mine does not have the remote diode so I just have one wg one the side that your tab is missing and a diode between the two outer.

I looked through that thread and I missed that. Short attention span I guess. I'll check for that remote diode since that switch didn't have one. Thanks!

#9 8 years ago

I have the remote diode so no need to add one.

Before I get to the switch issue I have questions about the 11 game modes. First, what mode does the game start with? Mine always starts with Stampede and won't advance. Doesn't shooting the ball into the control room when it's lit advance the mode to another when the ball rolls over the switch or am I missing something? Please help me with this, it's driving me nuts and I'd hate to think I just bought a game that needs more work than I was lead to believe. Back to the switch.

I put the new switch in and soldered the wires to it. Fired up a game and threw a ball in the control room scoop...nothing. Advanced Trex, got a jackpot going and into CHAOS mode. Went through the letters C H O and S and saved A for last and...nothing. The ball isn't engaging the switch properly I'm thinking, so I do it manually and...nothing. UGH. Before I change out to another switch, is there anything else I should check?

#10 8 years ago

Game off, check the switch with a DMM in diode/continuity. When you close the switch does it beep? Then check the row and column wires at the switch to another switch in the same row and the same column (two tests). Make sure everything is wired per the diagram above.

#11 8 years ago

Here's a pic of how I have it wired with the new switch. You can see the remote diode holder and the other switch as well. The new (#37) switch beeps for continuity. The other switch (#35) isn't beeping, but I know it works because it is working. I am confused.IMG_20150622_192834566.jpgIMG_20150622_192834566.jpg

#13 8 years ago

As far as I can tell the wiring looks correct.

So right now you're saying the switch does not register? If that is the case then check from the wht-grn wire to the wht-grn wire on a switch that does work. Also check from the grn-blk wire to the grn-blk wire on a switch that does work.

When testing the switch NC to com should beep when the switch is open and NO to com should beep when the switch is closed.

#14 8 years ago

OK. I'll try that when I get home.

#15 8 years ago

OK Terry, I tested for continuity on all of the places you mentioned and it beeped everytime. I'm thinking it may be an actual contact issue between the ball rolling over the switch and it not closing all the way. I'll have to check that tomorrow.

In the meantime, if you think of anything else I should try please let me know.

I appreciate your help!

#16 8 years ago

So it turns out the new switch is a little different than the bad switch I replaced. The switch button under the arm is shorter than the button on the bad switch, so it wasn't making proper contact when the ball rolls over it. A little bit of finesse with a switch tool and I'm back in business! It's so nice to play a game that is working correctly!

Thanks for the help terry and soapman!

#17 8 years ago

Glad you got it working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-switch-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.