(Topic ID: 248582)

Jurassic Park (Stern 2019) Owners Club. Welcome! To Jurassic park.....

By Scribbles

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9,287 posts
  • 773 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Phbooms
  • Topic is favorited by 379 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,048 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5409 (resized).JPG
IMG_5404 (resized).JPG
IMG_5403 (resized).JPG
20210122_215916 (resized).jpg
056DCD10-2D92-480A-9A52-27BCD5572067 (resized).jpeg
DEE3245E-15BB-4A3F-A412-7B3485427915 (resized).jpeg
36BF8080-DFB5-47A8-A551-3802F309C8F6 (resized).jpeg
64577579-C524-4682-837C-E23743AA8401 (resized).jpeg
6189A9F0-4C11-4680-98A5-5CD1C503F6BF (resized).jpeg
DB690935-0BC7-421A-B4B3-8C8F94FF6BD3 (resized).jpeg
9A5330BA-4B37-4058-94E3-53C83B9313DF (resized).jpeg
QERA4421 (resized).JPG
signs (resized).jpg
BMPN2329 (resized).JPG
HNCI5045 (resized).JPG
0C640FBF-CDA1-462B-B31C-E21FCE2570C6 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #72 Custom Jurassic Park apron cards Posted by Coindropper (1 year ago)

Post #230 Custom Apron Cards for Stern JP Posted by Coindropper (1 year ago)

Post #326 Rules tips and info on some wizard modes Posted by sk8ball (1 year ago)

Post #365 Printable Instruction cards for the pin Posted by PinballZach (1 year ago)

Post #366 The first Full Unboxing Video Posted by ZMeny (1 year ago)

Post #425 Feature Matrix of Pro vs Premium vs LE Posted by Scribbles (1 year ago)

Post #468 How to qualify control room modes Posted by jonesjb (1 year ago)

Post #2298 Keith Elwin explains JP rules Posted by MRG (1 year ago)

Post #5270 make the jeep work well Posted by Scribbles (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#141 1 year ago

Mine was delivered to my location today. Played about 8 games. LOVED it! The seemingly endless combos were so satisfying: left ramp, right ramp, tower, S shot to right inlane, and repeat. Even had a hard shot to the raptor area come around so quickly that it felt like a combo.

Ball was occasionally getting stuck trying to exit the raptor area. It was easy to shake out, but interested to hear if that's happening to anyone else, and what the fix is. (I was too impatient to take the glass off and experiment).

#145 1 year ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Great to hear... but was it too endless? Or were there definitely some shorter ball times and quick saves needed?

Not too endless. It's not a drain monster, and I did have some longer ball times...but I was also shooting really well (as opposed to when I played two games at ReplayFX where I was constantly bricking shots).

In a few days, if I remember, I'll post average ball times for the first few hundred plays.

#182 1 year ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

Ordered a Premium for Lyons Classic Pinball ! Hopefully late Sept delivery.

Nice!! If you can't wait, come play my Pro in the meantime.

#192 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I watched one of the live streams of the game play recently. Trying to figure out how linear/strategic the game is?

My impression is that due to the map layout and how you have to progress across the island, this game may be more linear in nature? Meaning that you'll end up doing mode X before mode Y and that games tend to follow a predictable pattern?

There are some games where you can bat the ball around and have a wide variety of things to go for. And other games where you have to typically follow a designated sequence of modes to get farther. Where does this game fall in that area?

Anybody have any thoughts/experience on this?

The map layout is for the Paddock Modes. All Paddock Modes are based on the same exact concept, regardless of the dinosaur: the moving green arrow represents the dino, orange rescue shots represent workers. You're trying to capture the dinosaur and rescuing workers before they are eaten.

The thing that differs between Paddock Modes is how aggressively the dinosaur pursues workers, how many workers need to be rescued, and what perks you will be awarded after capturing the dinosaur. Once you've started a Paddock Mode, you're in it until you capture the dinosaur, and it continues across balls.

The other modes in the game (Control Room and T-Rex) are more traditional modes that can be selected, and will time out or end when you drain.

The Paddock Modes don't feel linear to me because they aren't: shoot X, then shoot Y, then shoot Z. They're more like a conceptual framework for capturing dinosaurs and rescuing workings that runs throughout the course of the game, and you'll often have other things going at the same time.

It's really quite unique, and I can't think of anything to compare it to.

Quoted from Tmezel:

Hey, Mr intergalactic, what do you think of the game?

That's *Mr.* Intergalactic to you. Oh, wait...

I LOVE it.

Missed a lot of shots the first two games I played and came away thinking some of the shots were too hard. Found my groove eventually and have become much more accurate.

So many satisfying combos and shots you won't find in other games: the Tower Ramp and the S shot are completely unique, the feed from the right orbit to the center of the upper right flipper is completely unique, and the way the truck requires you to unblock shots when it's in your way...as well as requiring you to hit it from different angles depending on it's current position and what you're trying to accomplish also feels totally unique.

The way Paddock Modes work is genius, and I find them extremely engaging to play. They force you to make a lot of decisions about what to prioritize, and those considerations are constantly changing based on how long it takes you to capture the dinosaur.

The animations are really amazing. I can't imagine how much work went into them.

There are no scoops to slow things down and take up space, and as someone who tries to play very slow and controlled, the game really encourages me to hit a lot of things on the fly. Not a ton of backhandable shots. If you don't flip the upper flipper, the ball will be out of control anyway, so you might as well hit something. Stuff like that.

On the downside, getting a multiball is difficult at the moment and a lot of games on this machine are going to be played without starting any. Some of the shots are pretty tight but pretty much every mode gives you several options of shots that will award progress (and the game isn't necessarily super punishing when you miss). I think the Paddock Modes probably aren't fun if you don't understand them, but cool stuff happens throughout the game even if you just shoot lit shots. It's not obvious when T-Rex and Paddock Modes are ready because the inserts are on a sign above the left ramp's return habitrail. The raptor tri-ball feels a little wood choppy right now, although I expect it will be less so on the Premium when it captures your ball.

Edit: it has since been brought to my attention that there is any easy multiball (Feed T-Rex, the first T-rex mode, which requires only four shots), but it won't be the first T-Rex mode if you're in tournament settings.

#200 1 year ago

Apparently the first T-Rex mode is a multiball, which means only four shots to start it.

But that's not the case if you're in tournament mode, like I am.

#219 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

-Pop up in the return lane? Who thought of this? It stops ball in middle of return lane for explanation of mode, absolutely terrible and it kills flow. I thought I could cancel animation with pushing both flipper buttons-but no it makes you wait. That should be the first thing they correct in code update. Good thing is-it is easily fixed with code update(hopefully).

Elwin has stated that he doesn't like scoops. Those are the real flow killer. Fine when they're lit for something, but really unsatisfying to hit when they're not lit...and it takes away space that could be a better all-around shot.

Just about every modern machine stops the ball one way or another to give you mode instructions, but yeah, it's strange that you can't skip through everything.

#223 1 year ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

Didn't his Archer pinball machine have a scoop?

Dunno, I was just echoing what Keith said here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-cornerstone-stern-game-will-be-summer-release/page/44#post-5120009

Maiden Premium has a scoop under the center jumpramp, but it is only accessible a few times a game...so it’s really more of a secondary shot that is only revealed when needed.

#302 1 year ago

For me, the post at the tip of the upper right flipper is constantly coming loose. I’ve tightened it three times already, and the last time it had completely come out less than two hours later.

Any tips?

#315 1 year ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

I am having the same problem, and am going to try Loctite. No room underneath to attach a nylon nut as the post is directly under the upper flipper bracket, and the existing post doesn't extend past the bottom of the playfield anyway. We will see how that works out. Might have to cut a notch in the flipper base plate and try something else if Loctite doesn't work.

Keith suggested Loctite as well. Go for it!

#346 1 year ago
Quoted from jorro:

I understand that you try to fix the stuff yourselfs but do tell your distributor about it, that way they can tell Stern that the person in the factory who tigthens the nuts and bolts to do their job proparly.
Otherwise the problems keep happening?

Needs Loctite, or a better t-nut. Stern is aware of the issue.

It has nothing to do with people on the assembly line not doing their job properly.

#589 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Will people still be able to place the Comet Pinball illuminated star posts under the posts if the pins are preinstalled with washers? I really like the way they’ve lit up the posts in my Shadow and would want to use them on JP too.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/illuminated-star-post-kit

This is a good question. I guess there are two scenarios: 1) they work fine, or 2) the metal washers will short the illuminated star posts.

It's not easy for me to test that right now but I would think putting mylar on the back of the star post light would solve the problem (if there is one), or switching the washer to something that's not conductive.

#664 1 year ago

The raptor gate issue can be fixed by bending it. You want it to stick slightly farther into the back of the pit.

Fiddle around with it and you will see how to do that, but it essentially involves bending the gate arm (on the right side), so that the gate sticks farther in when at rest.

As you are fiddling with it, you can just have a ball on hand to test if the ball will still get hung up. At some point, you’ll have bent the wire just enough that you can’t make the ball stick anymore on that left post without having it roll out of the area.

#880 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

I was told by my seller that it would be by the end of Aug when I pre-ordered the machine in June

I think your seller was being extremely optimistic. The game hadn't even been announced in June, so it was either a guess, or based on information Stern was giving out several months in advance. Maybe it's Stern's fault.

On July 30th, the calls went out to schedule launch parties, and we were given the second weekend of September. That gives Stern a date target for deliveries for those (Pro) machines.

I suppose I could be wrong, but in the past, LEs don't start rolling off the line until about a month after the Pros have started arriving. That's pretty much standard for all machines, give or take a week or two.

#881 1 year ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

I was also told a slight delay. Im good with it, build em right.

Well, that too. Could be playfield issues.

#938 1 year ago

Blue Loctite didn't work for me - it only lasted a day or two. So far red has lasted at least two days.

I like this idea of the missing screw. I'll check that out.

#952 1 year ago

There is a multiball for capturing the Spinosaurus (the last Super Predator Paddock (the center column of paddocks)). That might be what you’re referring to...I believe it’s considered a mini-wizard mode.

I was getting an increasing number of side ramp rejects and then eventually my upper flipper would go limp whenever it got hit by a ball. Turns out the coil stop had completely blown out. Replacing it fixed both issues.

#1054 1 year ago

Was just revisiting a thread I started about coil stops on Deadpool. Had to replace the stop on the right flipper twice in the first 1400 plays. Someone chimed in with this nugget, which I had forgotten about:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-coil-stops-are-worthless#post-4699083

I'll save you a click: Move the spring washer to the other side of the coil so it doesn't decapitate your coil stop. Seems worth trying.

#1083 1 year ago

Agree, Raptor seems like a bit of chopping wood. Once I learned how valuable it could be (seeing the 600m Raptor MB played split flipper on the reveal stream), it became more interesting.

It does sound like it will be a better experience on the Premium, as the progression will be much more obvious, and it will feel like different shots as you go (lower visor -> lock ball -> newton bash locked ball).

4 weeks later
#1818 1 year ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

Can anyone confirm what LED’s are being used for the ball guids and slings? Love the natural color, doesn’t look off like others I’ve seen. At work for the next 16hr and trying to place an order. Thanks!

I am nearly certain those are (the Comet Pinball equivalent of) frosted 2smd bulbs in warm white.

#1819 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

adding a polk sub....are people still alligator clipping to exiting sub or is a method like pinnovaters Stern spike sub board safer?

I have an external sub that I’ve had Deadpool and Maiden hooked up to simultaneously with speaker wire and alligator clips. However, if I swap one of those with Jurassic Park, I get a ton of feedback through the sub when the game is off.

JP is the problem, not the other games. Not sure why though. Curious if anyone else has this issue.

#1858 1 year ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Also, is the rule-set linear or random? Does the game have the same rule progression every time? Or can you pick what direction or route to go...?

Elwin does not consider the Paddock Modes to be "modes" in the traditional sense. He says they're more like Power Features in Iron Maiden. The Paddock Modes work off of this concept: there are rescues and a dinosaur, save a certain number of rescues, then trap the dinosaur, then visit helipad, then shoot the dinosaur. Both the dinosaur and the rescues move around based on time (and being eaten). There is very little difference between playing them linearly or playing them randomly (except the dinosaurs get faster and more aggressive as you progress, so the guests start getting eaten almost immediately later on). What increases is the difficulty, but otherwise they are all the same.

The uniqueness of modes comes from Control Room Modes and T-Rex Modes. Each of those has its own set of unique rules. Interesting to see what happens with Fossils in future updates...those are more like Soul Shards in Iron Maiden.

It's not necessarily super deep in terms of number of modes, but it's very nuanced because you'll have lots of different things going on at once and you need to prioritize what you're going for. The game continues to open up as you understand more about what is going on.

#1881 1 year ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Looks like a mode, smells like a mode, plays like mode.
A mode the paddocks are.

I don’t care if people call them modes, but what I do care about is the people who are worried this game isn’t for them because the paddock “modes” progress in the same order every game.

In generally all other games, a mode means, shoot X shot, then shoot Y shot, and finish with shot Z - congrats you are done. Paddocks don’t work like that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Youngstown, OH
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside