(Topic ID: 248582)

Jurassic Park (Stern 2019 & 30th) Owners Club. Welcome! To Jurassic park.....

By CoolCatPinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21,321 posts
  • 1,409 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by jackd104
  • Topic is favorited by 766 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1230 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1464 (resized).JPG
IMG_7368-ezgif.com-optimize.gif
IMG_7373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7372 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7369 (resized).jpeg
pinside.a4cba3d6f022409119bc55bb9a4f9ec272c3d66d (resized).jpg
PXL_20240419_132957235.jpg
PXL_20240419_220243332.jpg
PXL_20240419_132948477.jpg
PXL_20240419_132932956.jpg
IMG_4992 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail_image5 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_image0 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_image1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #326 Rules tips and info on some wizard modes Posted by sk8ball (4 years ago)

Post #365 Printable Instruction cards for the pin Posted by PinballZach (4 years ago)

Post #366 The first Full Unboxing Video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #425 Feature Matrix of Pro vs Premium vs LE Posted by CoolCatPinball (4 years ago)

Post #468 How to qualify control room modes Posted by jonesjb (4 years ago)

Post #2298 Keith Elwin explains JP rules Posted by MRG (4 years ago)

Post #3040 Raptor target not registering or "ghost" registering, possible fix Posted by Jesder (4 years ago)

Post #5270 make the jeep work well Posted by CoolCatPinball (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12873 2 years ago

Karl/IEPinball is streaming Jurassic Park Prem starting in the next few minutes and will be giving away a quiet fan kit for Spike or Spooky (winner choice) and a T-shirt during the stream. Entries are from now until 8:10 winners announced later in the stream.

Enter "!contest" (without the quotes) in the iepinball twitch chat to get the link to the entry form.

https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball

#12875 2 years ago

Heads up that Karl DeAngelo at IEPinball is streaming JP Prem tonight starting at 7pm pacific:

https://twitter.com/iepinball/status/1481300827054563332

...he's also giving away more pinmonk fans and t-shirts. He changes the contest night to night, but basically just type "!contest" in the twitch chat (without the quotes) to get the link to the contest form to find out what you have to guess/remember tonight and enter in the first 30 minutes of the stream.

(entries close at 7:30PST. Tonight's contest is easy, just YES/NO he reaches Escape Nublar)

#12901 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Email only for support now. Contact these emails. No idea why people ship games with the legs on.

I've done the white glove, legs on thing both as a buyer and a seller for dozens of machines and never had an issue. The ones in CA were Sly Fox (always great) shipping, but the longer distance ones were Michelle at Beltmann. I make sure they pack it well when it goes out, but never had a bent leg as a shipper or receiver (knock on wood). Maybe our local trucking company Beltmann uses is just especially conscientious. It can be a good experience, and always has been for me.
IMG_0667-sml (resized).jpgIMG_0667-sml (resized).jpg

#12903 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

But issues are possible. That’s my point. Sure any way you do it issues are possible, but less likely with a game wrapped and strapped.

It's possible with any pinball being shipped. The only time I've ever had damage was with palleted/crated pins which is the only way I used to do them, which seems to defy logic, but I think the palleted/crated are treated more carelessly at the warehouses because they're "packed better."

I know my time is coming, but so far, so good with the white glove/legs on.

#12928 2 years ago
Quoted from jwalton:

I keep having problems with the "fixed" ball in front of the truck coming loose. I tightened it down as tight as I could last night, then today after five or six games it was wiggling around when balls hit it again. I can only tighten it so much before the ball starts turning in my hand when I try to turn the wrench. Is there a trick to this? Do I need some lock-tite?

If you do blue loc-tite, DO NOT get any excess on the truck plastics or any other plastics. It weakens and/or melts plastic it comes into contact with.

#12936 2 years ago

Karl's streaming JP again and giving away more prizes 7:00-9:00 - contest guesses are due SOON:

Type !contest in the chat to see the rules.

#12938 2 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Hi folks! I'm searching but not finding. My JP Prem TRex head moves side to side fine, but moves up and down without locking in place to catch balls as expected. It doesn't lower itself far enough down and leave the mouth open. I end up triggering TREX modes by simply hitting the left ramp and bypassing the TREX in that case. Is there a limit switch or something I should look at replacing or repairing to get the game back to expected behavior?
Thank you!!!

Does it lower in the test mode properly?

#12940 2 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

I actually didn't realize there were tests for it. Just went in and tested it and it went side to side, made a bit of a grinding noise, and then gave a message 'Check Switch 66 TREX Down' - not sure which switch that is but it's a place to start!

Basically go into switch test mode and try to manually trigger the switches around the motor that controls tilt (on the bottom of the back of the backboard) to make sure all three work. If they DO, then you just need to see which one is 66 (by triggering and looking on the screen) and then adjust the arm on that switch.

jp_trex_tilt_down (resized).jpgjp_trex_tilt_down (resized).jpg
#12944 2 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Thanks! I'll check into this and see what's up. It worked for many months, only stopped working randomly a few days ago. So something is loose / misadjusted / broken back there.
Does the dino head need to be disassembled for most of this work or does that stuff happen on the backside of the playfield rear divider?

For the head lowering, it's all on the backside of the board where the head is mounted, where the arrow is pointing in the picture I posted.

#12952 2 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Thank you! I found the switch 66, and while it's registering on button push, there's no blade on the switch (and none to be found around the cabinet. I'm assuming this is my issue and will work on replacing that switch. I appreciate the assist!
Edit - found the blade. Clean break at the base of the blade, hiding in some wires. New one ordered - now to figure out how I'll get back there to replace it

Glad you are on the right track now. That assembly on the back is held on by 4 nuts. I'd take them off which will let you swing the assembly up (it's still tethered to the dino head) and remove the arm to the dino head, then you can work on it and put it back when you have the switch replaced.

#12956 2 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Thanks! Got the culprit removed and a new one on order. I was actually just able to reach it from beneath the rear divider with the playfield propped up. Luckily it was the switch towards the bottom and accessible with a small 3-16” wrench. Now to wait for the replacement and hope re-assembly and re-solder goes as smoothly. [quoted image]

Hope you ordered some spares. It's not an uncommon switch, and nice to have on hand when one fails.

#12970 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

What do you guys like for flipper rubber? Titan seems a bit too gummy-bear and bouncy for me.

Marco white is the bounciest, best quality out there, in my experience.

If they're just on the surface and not grooves in the clear, ball trails can be removed with a damp magic eraser. Rub lightly, then clean the area and wax to prevent it from getting bad enough to need a magic eraser again.

#13085 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

I played you once and did not like that game. Not a fan of the theme and I didn’t like the color scheme on it so that just turned me off immediately.
Was a huge WD fan too until about season 4 then stopped watching it.

I am not a fan of horror AT ALL, and Walking Dead became one of my favorite pins once I finally tried it. Adding a ColorDMD helps, but once you're into the pin, the ugliness of the playfield and toys don't really even matter. It can be brutally hard, but when you have a game where you click with it, the game is a rush.

#13138 2 years ago
Quoted from seah2os:

Has anyone ever removed the moving T-Rex skin from the mechanism? Do you recall any gears, or just levers/cams? I've looked at the exploded view on IPDB and don't really see any gears. I removed the entire TRex assembly to diagnose a grinding noise, (which does kind of sound like slipping gears), but having a difficult time removing the skin. I disconnected the linkage from the moving assembly to the motor, and it appears the grinding noise may be coming from the motor shaft, but hard to pinpoint 100%. What's the procedure to remove the skin? Thanks!

Yeah, the grinding noise is coming from inside the hous(ing of the motor).

#13169 2 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

They don't normally fall out, but I guess it could if your coil stop was totally trashed. The washer is part #5 in this diagram. Go ahead and buy at least three of part #2. Part #2 is the coil stop and is a common fail point on JP. Common belief is Stern had a bad batch of coil stops during early production of JP. It's a cheap easy replacement.
[quoted image]

Stern has been using bad coil stops for at least 4 years. This is not limited to JP. Stern, like shingles, doesn't care.

4 weeks later
#13388 2 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Is it that good? Haven’t tried it yet but elder scrolls had me for the long haul on Xbox. Still play pinball fx on my Xbox as well.

Elden Ring is EXCELLENT. Game of the decade. Destroys all the souls games that came before it and mixing souls gameplay ideas with an open world concept really made an amazing experience. Some of the areas you wander through you find yourself just marveling at how lived-in and amazing it looks.

If it weren't for the performance issues and the server problems at launch that prevented playing online, it would be a solid 10/10. But even with those caveats, it's still at least a 9.5/10 and I haven't seen anywhere near all the areas and secret areas there are in the game yet.

#13390 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Good to hear, love Dark Souls and from software games... The harder the better.

It's the hardest souls-style game yet. But you just want to keep playing, more than any of the ones before. Really premium work from the graphics to the music to the monsters to the world systems to the locations - all of it, except performance. Without VRR, it's nauseating to play. Thankfully our LG OLED has it so not a worry once we enabled it.

3 months later
#14241 1 year ago
Quoted from haiderdj:

Does anyone know the spec on how much power can be drawn from the cabinet node board?
I'm trying to power the Stern shooter rod, leg lights, and lighted flipper buttons from there but can't seem to get them all working.

Depends on which connector. CN11 is ~2A.

#14251 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Just thought I'd post a picture of the Art of Pinballs Trex and signs. The Trex is an incredible improvement over the original. Relatively easy installation with detailed instruction video included. Highly recommended improvement to your JP.
Attached are a few pictures....available to purchase in the states at little shop of games website. [quoted image][quoted image]

The Art of Pinball T-Rex is awesome, but I'm not really a fan of his signs for the two ramps. I like the ones Mezel has more, but even they get it wrong IMO. The circle for the light on Mezel's should have been removed and the names "ADVANCE PADDOCK" "EXTRA BALL" etc, should have been translucent so the actual words light up when that's available. With no circle, the lettering could have been bolder and larger, too.

#14253 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

That above my creative pay grade I'm not familiar with those signs, but these are really high quality. Definitely an improvement over the stock signs

Both versions are way better than stock, that's for sure.

#14292 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Have you tried swapping the glass from one machine to another? That’ll quickly confirm if it’s the glass or the JP cabinet

Or throw a digital caliper on there and measure the thickness...

3 weeks later
#14640 1 year ago

I'm currently working to catch up on orders so these new items are not in the store yet, but just wanted to post a heads up on these three JP brackets that will be in the pinmonk store here (and on pinmonk.com) soon.

First is a gradient bracket from yellow to orange for the all-white inserts on the center shot:
Rescue_Ladder_Before_After_small (resized).jpgRescue_Ladder_Before_After_small (resized).jpg

This is a bracket to make the electricity more of a bluish color instead of stark white:
electricity_bracket_before_after_small (resized).jpgelectricity_bracket_before_after_small (resized).jpg

Finally, the Nublar is a light-blocking bracket like the RUSH owl eyes so the mountain picture doesn't have insert starburst bleeding through. Just the explosion area at the top and sides are lit.
nublar_bracket_before_after-sml (resized).jpgnublar_bracket_before_after-sml (resized).jpg

#14647 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Have all of yours on my RUSH LE, looking forward to this.

Appreciate the support. I would have already put them up, but I need to get caught up on orders and didn't want to put 3 new things in the store until I could ship them right away. Shouldn't be long, though.

1 year later
#17188 9 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

I was told that the clicking a dozen times++ is "normal" and "won't hurt anything" and Stern does not intend to do fuckall about it. Sigh.

It's not normal. There's an extensive series of posts I did in the Foo thread as I investigated the issue, testing parts, bringing in samples, etc. I finished with a keypost in that thread summarizing the problem's root cause and fix. The problem is low-spec caps from CDE, starting in the 2022 batches. They changed something with the construction of the cap internals, which made them heavier and reduced the quality substantially. The tolerance is 20% on a 10k ohm cap. 2021 and before, most of them tested at about 9500 ohm or above, about 5% reduction from 10k stated value. The 2022 batch has mostly ones that test at 8500 or below (15% up to about 18% off stated value) and that's a real problem because once you're under about 8500, the meanwell power supply thinks there's a short at powerup because the caps aren't charging up as they should. They're slow. The clicking is the power supply protection circuit clicking on and off until the caps finally charge enough. It is ABSOLUTELY not normal. I'd press Stern tech. They know what the problem is. They're likely just trying not to have to replace hundreds or thousands of Power Distribution Boards.

You CAN fix this yourself if you have the soldering skills (these caps are a pain to get out, so if you're a novice, lifting a trace by leaning on it too long is possible, which would make things worse). Based on samples I've brought in, any of the 2021 lots (printed on the cap with week/year format) from CDE will test over 9k, and probably 9.5k. Replacing all three with 2021 lot CDE caps fixes it completely. Costs about $10 plus $8 shipping.

#17191 9 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

I read some of your stuff, and some folks talking about your posts, 100% get that it's not normal and my GZ doesn't do it. JP is getting worse but still working, would be nice if they'd do something about it since it's obvious there is an issue. Appreciate all the work you've done on it, good for everyone.

Stern knows it's a problem. Anything more than 3-4 clicks and I'd press them for a warranty swap. The unfortunate thing is some of the swapped PDBs have the problem, too. Are you getting blown off by your dist or Stern direct?

#17195 9 months ago
Quoted from TheBananaPeel69:

I just got a Pro with mods. One of them is the t rex ramp protector.
In mine, im missing the black spacer ring and the screw on the right.
anyone have any info on what id need to repair it?
[quoted image]

Looks like Stern part number for NYLON SPACER - BLACK - 3/8 OD X .175 ID X 1/4" is 254-5000-09.

I'm pretty sure you could find this part at someplace like Ace Hardware or any good hardware store with bins of small bulk parts.

1 month later
#18840 7 months ago
Quoted from eSJayPee:

Is there an audio clip somewhere of this noise? I have FF LE as well and don't notice a clicking sound at boot up.

The thread on the excessive clicking cause and solution has a youtube clip with an excessive example in the first post here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-clicking-power-supply-fix

1 month later
#19710 6 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

PinMonk told me I would need them for my spike 2 games...I didn't believe him. He was right, ended up throwing 2 on an order with pinballlife with some blades and other stuff

Haha, NEED is a bit strong, but quiet fans for Spike2 machines is certainly in the "want" category for most people once those ultra-crappy, even louder-somehow powernex fans that are in the Spike2 Meanwell power supplies kick on.

With every release, I wonder if this is the one where Stern addresses the noisy fan like Gomez said they would over 2 years ago. I basically now think it will happen with Spike3 or never, and JAWS seems like a good time to debut Spike3, so we'll see...

#19713 6 months ago
Quoted from JJJJJS:

In a home environment it's pretty much a need at this point. My Elvira is loud, and I bought a fan for it, though it's wasn't loud enough to be so annoying that I had to install it immediately. I got a JP from the last run and it's much louder. Enough so that I couldn't leave it on and go watch tv/play a game 30 feet away without it being incredibly distracting. Sucks to have to open up the power supply on a brand new game to fix something that Stern should have dealt with years ago.

Yeah, you're likely experiencing the difference between the NMB fans that were in there that were loud and annoying and the PowerNex fans they changed to that are slightly louder in dB, but at a higher much more annoying frequency. It's moved a lot of people off the fence.

#19717 6 months ago
Quoted from jacksparrow0112:

Just brought home a premium. This is my all-time favorite Stern game, and am very excited!!
Question about the motorized Trex. As of now it moves horizontally and vertically just fine, but is not opening its mouth to catch the ball to start trex events. Is there a game feature setting I should be on the lookout for to enable this? I just did a full reset of factory settings, and the jaw does not open. Also conformed “trex jaw disabled” is set to “no”.
Appreciate any troubleshooting help!

Look for loose wires, and manually see if the jaw opens and closes easily by hand. I seem to remember some had the plastic jaw pieces get jammed so it couldn't open its mouth correctly.

2 weeks later
#19978 5 months ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

I'm going through the motions for my warranty.....

You might want to try just negotiating for some spare PDBs and then have two fixed so you have a working spare. Something like "send me two PDBs and I'll consider this claim fulfilled, then I can have the PDBs fixed so they don't cause clicking." A couple PDBs will be a lot cheaper than sending PDBs and power supplies back and forth. Maybe they'll go for it.

I also have a different meanwell power supply coming that can handle 350% power temporarily, which should solve the inrush problem (the Stern PDB is technically past the spec for the power supply's max transitory output, which happens at boot when the three caps want to fill up). So IF that works, fixing the issue might be as simple as replacing the power supply and you can leave the PDB alone. Unfortunately, that's about $170.

It'll all continue to be updated in the clicking thread here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-clicking-power-supply-fix

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eagan, MN
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

12,000 (OBO)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.