(Topic ID: 248582)

Jurassic Park (Stern 2019 & 30th) Owners Club. Welcome! To Jurassic park.....

By CoolCatPinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21,284 posts
  • 1,408 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by JorgesArcade
  • Topic is favorited by 765 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4992 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail_image5 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_image0 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_image1 (resized).jpg
20240416_213856 (resized).jpg
IMG_6976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6988 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6987 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6985 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6984 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6983 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6975 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0851 (resized).jpg
IMG_0850 (resized).jpg
IMG_4900 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #326 Rules tips and info on some wizard modes Posted by sk8ball (4 years ago)

Post #365 Printable Instruction cards for the pin Posted by PinballZach (4 years ago)

Post #366 The first Full Unboxing Video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #425 Feature Matrix of Pro vs Premium vs LE Posted by CoolCatPinball (4 years ago)

Post #468 How to qualify control room modes Posted by jonesjb (4 years ago)

Post #2298 Keith Elwin explains JP rules Posted by MRG (4 years ago)

Post #3040 Raptor target not registering or "ghost" registering, possible fix Posted by Jesder (4 years ago)

Post #5270 make the jeep work well Posted by CoolCatPinball (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JediMcMuffin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1716 4 years ago

Hello everyone, I have a pro arriving today! It's my first pin and I'm very stoked. Pics soon enough. Reading 35 pages of thread to catch up is rather exhausting.

#1724 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Wonderful pick for your first pinball machine.
Make sure to get a Subwoofer upgrade. I did and it's cheap and amazing!
Congrats man are you smart.
1st pin and a wicked fun adventure. Lucky!!

I see inside the cabinet a downfiring speaker I assumed is a subwoofer. Are you saying I should replace that unit or add some thing external?

#1732 4 years ago

Thanks for the subwoofer recommendations. I'm definitely going to check that out. The distributor (Orange County Pinballs) threw in the shaker motor and its a bit intense if you ask me. Can that be backed off in software?

The wife and I played for like two hours straight after the kiddo went to bed, I think its the first time in 6 years together I've seen her get competitive about something. That's a major win for me.

Speaking of software, should I generally leave all settings the way they are or is there some kind of reference tweak list or is this all personal preference?

The post near the upper right flipper did start working its way loose by the end of the evening. I added some blue loctite and will keep an eye on it. I didn't have a great feel for what is "tight" vs what would crush the playfield so I opted for what I normally use for like oil drain pans: hand tight + quarter turn or about 8-10lbs of torque.

I sat in bed last night and read almost every page of this thread so I'll be keeping an eye out for playfield rippling as well.

IMG_2731 (resized).jpgIMG_2731 (resized).jpgIMG_2733 (resized).jpgIMG_2733 (resized).jpgIMG_2734 (resized).jpgIMG_2734 (resized).jpgIMG_2735 (resized).jpgIMG_2735 (resized).jpgIMG_2736 (resized).jpgIMG_2736 (resized).jpg
#1777 4 years ago

Observations of the morning

1: If you pull the plunger to 100% and release, hitting the slingshot is like 1 out of 5. If you pull it to 90% it hits it every single time, is this a lubrication thing at the end of the travel perhaps? Launching with the button seems to succeed 4 out of 5 for me so I'm mostly just hitting the button now.

2: Damn that CHAOS, I can only make it to O.

3: My wife and I have no real feel for nudging a table, as such it's flying STDM constantly

4: Should the ring around the tilt sensor pendulum be level to the ground or the table?

5: Whoever said I had chipping on my upper flipper post you were correct! A larger piece came off and I've got a support e-mail going with Stern. I'm a little less invested in the table as the game was a gift. If I had shelled out ~5700 of my own cash I'd be more miffed. The loc-tite has done its job though. I'm wondering is the rubber around that post supposed to freely rotate or is it supposed to be set and really slow the ball down?

#1826 4 years ago

I got the Stern one included with my Pro, it seems to rattle a bunch. Has that been the case for you with other Stern shakers?

#1827 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I love that and hope its doesn't change, I play in the dark as well its a great little scare during gameplay.

I agree, this the cause of most of my wife’s drains and she gets quite worked up over it. It would be cool if emergency lighting was on, but just barely. I love the effects that make me feel like a thunderstorm is happening

#1910 4 years ago
Quoted from SDAmusements:

Keep on eye on your coil stops![quoted image]

Help a newbie out, what is a coil stop? Did something fail with the JP Pro at brewskis?

#1980 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I heard of someone being sent a playfield repair kit from stern for their playfield damage...has anyone else heard about this at all? Has anyone heard back from Stern at all when sending in pictures of your damaged playfield?

I have a repair kit for the play field and some kind of post fix kit on the way from Stern. They have not arrived yet

3 weeks later
#2465 4 years ago

A few things to report in:

I installed my replacement Stern shaker motor this week and boy what a difference! It was hard to describe the issue other than saying "it's rattling really really loud" which of course would lead folks to tell me to check parts of my playfield and such and I did find a wireform to be loose. Still, now that the replacement is in I can now actually hear the other things that might be loose.

I received two kits from Stern to address my upper flipper post looseness and the chipping around it. I was surprised to see that fixing the post requires removing the flipper and getting undernear the playfield so much. I've decided to sit on that procedure until I have some downtime and I can apply this clearcoat fix a bit and take my time resolving it.

Watching Keith's explanation of the rules on Deadflip has changed the game for me. I'm still a noob and some pin-vocabulary still trips me up.

#2470 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Could you describe that a bit more? Mine rattles a lot. It sounds more like the glass though. I have shakers on all my other pins and it's more of a vibration. I just thought this is a bit more intense. This was the only pin I've ever had to tone down the shaker for. I never thought about examining the shaker itself.

The first thing I did was remove the cover, thinking the plastic was too close to the spinning weights. That made no difference, then I rotated one of the weights 90 degrees to tone it down a bit more and that didn't help. To me it was almost like the frame of the motor itself was rattling, and the speed it was spinning at was way too fast. It was so loud and obnoxious that I couldn't hear my Polk sub woofer over it. This was especially noticeable during the T-Rex chase event with the long roars.

I eventually disabled it until the replacement arrived. I'll have to go back and chase down the last few rattles which as other folks have said is probably the glass. The combination of the sub + fixed shaker makes for some really nice play.

#2478 4 years ago

Most of any continuing rattle seems to be coming from the back glass, that's more than tolerable though.

What's the difference between backglass and translite.

#2486 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

It’s not the shaker it’s the code that determines how much shake there is. Also you can control the intensity settings, there are three levels I believe.

I had understood the adjustment only changes how often the shaker is engaged, now how intense it is. I can tell you my replacement shaker is nowhere near as powerful as the one my distributor installed.

#2535 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

If you remove the shaker cover, there is an offset weight on both sides of the motor. There are little Allen screws that you can loosen and adjust the position of the weight. Only need to adjust one side relative to the other. If they're both in the same position (on both sides of motor) you will get the maximum shake. I had to tame my ST one down because it was rattling the glass so much. I could try installing anti-rattle tape I guess. It worked in my ACNC.[quoted image]

Yep, I did that. I tried it with 45 and 90 degree offsets. I should have taken video and folks would simply agree "yeah, that's totally messed up". Go take a steel hammer and slam it on a steel surface a thousand times a minute, THAT is what my factory shaker sounded like. The replacement sounds NOTHING like the original.

#2542 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Ya, it sounds like you definitely had a defective shaker. Did you figure out what was wrong with it exactly?

No I didn't, I feel like changing the software setting and then adjusting the hardware was the end of the of what my troubleshooting should be a as a NIB owner. At that point I reached out to the distributor and asked for a replacement unit to rule that out entirely.

1 week later
#2708 4 years ago

Checking in! My upper flipper post finally worked its way loose again (despite blue loctite).

So I took the opportunity to put the post replacement kit in. While the post was out, I did also mask off the post area, do some light sanding and apply some clearcoat. This was my first time messing with any of the mechanisms, as you have to remove the flipper assembly to get the old pieces out and tighten the post from both sides of the playfield. I wish I had taken a picture underneath, because the nut did not clear the flipper's assembly and I was forced to use a pair of wrenches to flair out the bracket slightly so it would clear the new lock-nut that holds the post in place. The washer on top is considerably taller and wider, and covered up nearly ever bit of the chipping that I had encountered. I'm satisfied, if not still slightly annoyed that I had to do this on a new product at all. I suppose I could have pressed on my distributor to do this as well. I did inspect all the other holes on the playfield for any kind of chipping and it appears I've gotten lucky with every other spot. I did notice that there is some dimpling across the playfield, but I don't know what "normal" wear is in my head so I can only assume it is normal. I'll attempt to capture a picture of it.

IMG_3062 (resized).JPGIMG_3062 (resized).JPG
#2714 4 years ago
Quoted from Frboisvert:

So the new post, does it change the game play? Go for the shaker motor and let the magic happened

The replacement post doesn't seem to change gameplay at all. The ball still contacts the rubber part of the post in the same exact position and doesn't appear to touch the washer in any way. I did my best aligning the flipper as Stern indicated in the instructions.

1 week later
#2929 4 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

Just want to give a shout out to Dan Dean, from Pinwoofers. Just finished installing a Super Kit on my Premium. Amazing difference! This makes the game totally different. I cannot believe the difference. If you're going to do ANYTHING to improve your JP, upgrading your sound is a must! And Pinwoofers is an awesome business with an awesome product! This is Dan and his daughter's business, and they're super supportive and know their stuff. Just my two cents. And I'm not affiliated with Pinwoofers at all. Just a happy two time customer!

Interesting, so this replaces the speakers in the backbox cabinet, as well as the one below? Are the factory ones just that bad?

Would you also use an external sub with this or remove that if you already have one?

#2930 4 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I dropped my outlane posts all the way down, but left everything else stock. My average scores range from 80k to 200k. Every once in a while I'll hit a good game and get into the 400k range. Current grand wizard score at about 850k. It WILL come to you at some point. Just keep playing, and get better and better at feeling the shots. I'm also learning about nudging very quickly thanks to JP. Lol

What do you mean by "dropped my outlane posts all the way down". Are they moveable??!

2 weeks later
#3179 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Less than 200 plays. Paid a premium to get a premium, did not receive premium parts. Good thing I live 15 minutes from Pinball Life.
[quoted image]

That sucks. In my own head I've slotted all the Pin manufacturers in with the likes of Ducati motorcycles. Mass produced, but lots of human involved, occasional supplier issues causing consistent part failures, some more drastic than others. If a "Honda" equivalent manufacturer ever comes along, Stern is toast.

#3182 4 years ago

Does anybody have a compiled list of adjustments they make right out of the box?

#3224 4 years ago

I actually don’t seem to have too many issues hitting the spinner shot, what I am finding is it not getting registered all the time. It seems the spinner is the only sensor and many of my shots make it past without actually spinning it. Has anyone had to adjust it? If so how?

#3235 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I noticed something similar. I might be wrong, but before one of the recent code updates I think every turn of the spinner would register the lane as being hit and clear the lit arrow. Then after an update it seemed like it changed and now a weak shot from the upper part of left flipper that goes past the spinner but maybe only spins it a couple times no longer counts as a shot to clear a lit arrow on that lane.

I agree the software is contributing, but I literally hit that shot four times in a row without it acknowledging the rescue. It’s starting to piss me off

#3320 4 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

Mine was doing this. Ended up being the switch. It needed to be adjusted. Hard hits wouldnt register but the softer hits would.

Got any adjustment guidance? From the top or bottom of the play field?

1 week later
#3441 4 years ago

Thanks for those that helped/guided me on the spinner issue. Turned out my switch was totally fine, the issue was mostly that the spinner was not resting in the vertical position, but leaned back a bit. It was enough that balls not perfetly centered went right by the damn thing. I wasn't quite sure which was to bend it to get sorted and slid my fingers underneath it and pressed upward towards the glass a few times. This seems to have done the trick, it doesn't hang perfectly vertical but WAY more than before. After months of shitty score I put 230M without even trying on the first play after the glass was back on.

#3471 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im a dumb audiophile. The Sound updates look great, along with everything else!
Im hoping someone with an external sub, and pinsound board can share their settings.

Any chance you guide me on tuning any of the audio settings? I have the Pinwoofer module running to a PSW-10, the rest of my setup is default on a Pro model.

#3476 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Looking for the same as you.
It might take a few days for others to figure it out.
(Im also having hearing issues)

yeah I’d love some tuning, surely the default settings are for location play

#3540 4 years ago

Can someone hyperlink me directly to the proper replacement coil stops? Sounds like most folks get them from pinball life. I always find their catalog a little overwhelming.

EaglePin : loving your flipper power settings!! Thank you! I'm finding that I can hit the outer shots finally

1 week later
#3643 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

That's about the first thing I do with all my games that have a button on the lockdown bar.
Prevents big bellies and big boobs from accidentally starting a game.

Bellies I understand, but tits? Holy shit those knockers gotta be watermelons.

1 month later
#4026 4 years ago
Quoted from Olaa:

In The club[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool, tell me about these sound upgrades!

#4059 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I'm sure they sound awesome ! But I have an LE with the upgraded Kenwood speakers - I'm sure those would sound better but I have to admit, after tweaking the bass/treble in the settings the speakers sound so good and can get wayyy too loud as it is haha. Very impressed with how it sounds.

So you're telling me us lowly pro owners really really should go get the pinwoofer kit, got it!

Deleting my external polk sub would remove an eyesore. I'll be pining for this.

#4154 4 years ago
Quoted from Olaa:

Ok, then I know it's not just me who has the problem. I will try to find a solution. I will post it here then.

For me, the spinner was not resting vertically enough and was resting at a tilted back position enough to completely brick the ball, and the ball could go around it entirely if it hugged the left side. I slid my finger under the spinner until it was perpindicular to playfield, and applied a little upward pressure (NOT MUCH!). This bent it enough to rest in a more vertical position and ever since then I can spin that sucker ALL DAY LONG.

Bricks are a real thing, but take your glass off and roll the ball into that sucker a few times.

2 weeks later
#4246 4 years ago

Can someone straighten me out on my forward paths for better sound out of my JP Pro? Most of the existing threads I find are confusing because its folks with LE's asking the questions.

What I have today:
Pinnovators subwoofer kit -> Polk sub

What I think I can do:
1) Pinwoofers kits: superkit 5.25 upgrades my 4" backbox to 5.25" speakers and the 6" cabinet sub to an 8", amplifiers included as not to overload the onboards for $249 or so

2) Pinball Pro kit: just better speakers, with an option to bump the sub slightly, retains existing amp for $209

Any other avenues there?

Then i see there is: speakerlightkits.com for making things pretty. What am I missing?

#4247 4 years ago

This stuff is amazing! Less than $5 at Lowes, Wal mart, or almost any auto parts store.I know pinball machines should never need lube, but that truck mechanism needs a bit of help every now and then.[quoted image]

I used to use this stuff, or something like it from Dupont on my motorcycle's primary drive chain. Literally 100,000 miles total across a handful of machines and my chain wear was probably half of what my cohorts were dealing with.

#4249 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

All you need is an amplified external sub, don't even need a sub out if you alligator clip it to speaker in bottom of cab.

I have that already. I have the Polk sub and avoided the alligator clips with the Pinnovators line out board. Perhaps I need some tuning on mine, but I don't feel like it sounds that great. The sub itself is also encroaching on the wife acceptance factor and I could easily move it somewhere else, so if I can upgrade the sub inside the cabinet that's more appealing right now.

5 months later
#6757 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I use the PinGuy app on iPhone. I've landed at 6.8 on my JP2. On mine it's measuring the same 6.8 with the bottom of the phone resting between the flippers and also up by the truck. On my POTC it measures 6.5 by the flippers and 7.3 up by the chest lock. I'm guessing that's just a variance that can happen with a wood playfield sometimes.
I've been all over the place on flipper power from day 1. Early on I had to set a lot lower flipper power to be able to hit the shots, but then I realized the ball was hopping away from the face of the flipper as it transferred from the guide to both the upper flipper and left flipper. Adjusting those guides so the ball rolls smoothly down the face of the flippers made a huge difference and I needed to increase power again to make the shots.
So now I'm at 253 (left), 235 (right) and 233 (upper). I've had my pitch and power settings there for several months now and it's been pretty consistent for me. Now when the raptor tower & left orbit start to get clunky I know I need to re-adjust that guide above the upper flipper again, and then those shots return to being smoother. It took me about 6 or 7 months of tinkering with the pitch and power every couple weeks before I landed where I am now. Most shots would be consistent but one might be tough to get. Then I'd change it to dial in that shot and a different shot would get more difficult. It's definitely a process to find what settings work best for your machine, but you'll get it. And if it's like mine you'll know immediately when you finally find it. Suddenly it just seemed right for all the shots. It's a journey, but the destination is worth it!

Thank you for posting this update!! I mirrored your settings maybe 9 months ago, and some of these numbers are pretty different. Namely, I could no longer drill the spinner from the left flipper at all, and it was nigh impossible to backhand the chaos shot from the right flipper, as well as struggling to get the ball up the tower shot. Also, I did have to aling the guides on my inlanes and I'm playing with fire now!

#6763 3 years ago

You can backhand the Chaos shot from the right flipper ?!?!

absolutely possible. I watch dontpanicflip in twitch do it multiple times per stream. He uses titan bands maybe that gives it a hair more punch

#6765 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

which is the "chaos" shot? the S shot?

Its the same as the smart missile shot, the target at the back of the pop bumpers. When CHAOS shots have been made the insert there lights up red, that and hitting it starts CHAOS. For smart missile, the truck must be facing left, making that shot pretty tight and only accessible from the left flipper. If CHAOS is lit and the right is facing right, the backhand of the right flipper is pretty easy.

1 month later
#7580 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Oddly, Stern specs the Orange (higher tension) spring for the plunger on the factory documents, but ships the Green (lower) one on nearly all production units. There is one school of thought that Stern engineering realized this half-pipe issue and reduced the spring to a lower tension to try an alleviate that mis-launch. In addition, most folks have reduced their auto-launch coil to around 200 or so. In my experience, when I manually launch using something in the 'middle', it does the half-pipe properly nearly 100% of the time. When I launch with a full extension of the plunger, it misses fairly often. I replaced the Orange spring that I had 'upgraded' back to the factory-shipped green spring too.
But as always, YMMV

I'm the same... half plunge all the time now, auto-launch power reduced to 190

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 12,999.99
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JediMcMuffin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park?tu=JediMcMuffin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.