(Topic ID: 248582)

Jurassic Park (Stern 2019 & 30th) Owners Club. Welcome! To Jurassic park.....

By CoolCatPinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21,307 posts
  • 1,409 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by scootss
  • Topic is favorited by 765 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240419_132957235.jpg
PXL_20240419_220243332.jpg
PXL_20240419_132948477.jpg
PXL_20240419_132932956.jpg
IMG_4992 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail_image5 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_image0 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_image1 (resized).jpg
20240416_213856 (resized).jpg
IMG_6976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6988 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6987 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6985 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6984 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6983 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #326 Rules tips and info on some wizard modes Posted by sk8ball (4 years ago)

Post #365 Printable Instruction cards for the pin Posted by PinballZach (4 years ago)

Post #366 The first Full Unboxing Video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #425 Feature Matrix of Pro vs Premium vs LE Posted by CoolCatPinball (4 years ago)

Post #468 How to qualify control room modes Posted by jonesjb (4 years ago)

Post #2298 Keith Elwin explains JP rules Posted by MRG (4 years ago)

Post #3040 Raptor target not registering or "ghost" registering, possible fix Posted by Jesder (4 years ago)

Post #5270 make the jeep work well Posted by CoolCatPinball (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "Coil stop".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#890 4 years ago

Noticed today after a few games that the right flipper is starting to feel 'loose' - not sure of a better term to describe it. The power seemed a little lower and I noticed that when the ball would dead bounce off the flipper it would move a little bit.

Is this the beginning of a coil stop issue people have been seeing with stern machines?

#952 4 years ago

There is a multiball for capturing the Spinosaurus (the last Super Predator Paddock (the center column of paddocks)). That might be what you’re referring to...I believe it’s considered a mini-wizard mode.

I was getting an increasing number of side ramp rejects and then eventually my upper flipper would go limp whenever it got hit by a ball. Turns out the coil stop had completely blown out. Replacing it fixed both issues.

#977 4 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

Anyone else seeing this? Something as simple as just adjusting the coil power?
We have a little clipboard where we put down issues with the machines that need fixing and I’d like to be as detailed as possible.

You don't need to be detailed if there is a tech reading it; althogh sure write down "Coil Stop bad,?" why not. For sure could be probably is coil stop.
Since it's not a JJP I don't imagine any diff'rence of electrical current from sub stations or sun spots would change anything in the game.
If the flipper cant make the ramp there is something wrong.

#1048 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’m having a weird issue. The left flipper seems to have lost holding power - I noticed that a ball bouncing off of it made it tip downward rather than holding steady.
The right flipper is solid and holds well.
Video demonstrating the issue:
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B11J8GySPJrHq90;FF429EA0-50CF-40B7-8882-90D1823A0B7D
I have confirmed the voltage matches on both flippers when engaged.
I have confirmed that the EOS switch is open when the flipper is in the top position, and closed when it’s not.
I have confirmed that the pawl nut is extremely tight, and the flipper bat is not loose.
What else is left? What could this be? I believe anathematize saw the same issue earlier in the thread.

Update: Found the cause - broken coil stop on the flipper. Pillaged one from Star Wars and I’m back up for now!

#1051 4 years ago

How does a coil stop break so quickly??

#1054 4 years ago

Was just revisiting a thread I started about coil stops on Deadpool. Had to replace the stop on the right flipper twice in the first 1400 plays. Someone chimed in with this nugget, which I had forgotten about:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-coil-stops-are-worthless#post-4699083

I'll save you a click: Move the spring washer to the other side of the coil so it doesn't decapitate your coil stop. Seems worth trying.

#1094 4 years ago

About two dozen games in, flipper post came loose, and left flipper coil stop is junked. Also had the coil stop on a Star Wars pro after less than a 100 plays- took the one out a ST pro and it was a better coil stop.

There’s really no excuse for a coil stop to go bad after a few plays, and this is a known issue. The people supplying these coil stops need to be fired for real.

1 week later
#1341 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Also, I find it next to impossible to post pass from right to left. Left to right works as expected. Anyone else have trouble with post passing right to left?

Same on the one I’ve been playing. Although it’s gotten a bit better since the stock coil stop was replaced on the right flipper. Still not as easy as left-to-right though.

#1392 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

Unboxed mine yesterday. I am having a couple of issues out of the box. Wondering if others have experienced the same.
1. Right flipper seems to have a delay. The flipper activates later than it should when I press the button. Really throws off my game.
2. Truck ball is not always sitting against the other stationary ball. Some time it floats in between and then slowly slides down. eventually.

Check the coil stop on that flipper, they’re absolutely trash.
My game has been down over a week, waiting for new stops, should be here today.

1 week later
#1619 4 years ago

Here are fixes I've had to do during first week on location. About 180 plays at home before location. Just over 300 when i went to repair. Not sure if flipper resets when you reset audits, but right flipper was around 12k. Left flipper no issues and around 9k. Raptor target was getting stuck on left rubber ring. I just loosened the screws on the target mount and realigned it properly then tightened down, simple. Will make sure to check if it slips out of position. Right flippers became sluggish. After investigation, both right coil stops had blown out. Replacing those restored power to %100. Luckily I've read this is common so had some back up coil stops ready. I did adjust the eos switch a bit before discovering the coil stop and received a message upon power up saying something like node board 8 overenergized. Not sure what that means. Pooling has started and pretty significantly on the left sling with large washer. Other pooling spots don't seem to be progressing.

20190919_150226 (resized).jpg20190919_150226 (resized).jpg20190919_155504 (resized).jpg20190919_155504 (resized).jpg20190919_160719 (resized).jpg20190919_160719 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1910 4 years ago
Quoted from SDAmusements:

Keep on eye on your coil stops![quoted image]

Help a newbie out, what is a coil stop? Did something fail with the JP Pro at brewskis?

#1912 4 years ago
Quoted from JediMcMuffin:

Help a newbie out, what is a coil stop? Did something fail with the JP Pro at brewskis?

Coil stop is the metal bracket behind the coil.
You can see in the picture the part that holds the coil in place has fallen out.

3 weeks later
#2343 4 years ago

EaglePin
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park?tq=Coil+stop&tu=

Sounds like a blown out coil stop most likely. Annoying but cheap fix

#2345 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I have no flipper maintenance experience and I just had a problem pop up on my lower right flipper. While playing, I put the flipper up to catch a ball coming down the playfield toward it. When the ball hit the flipper, the flipper gave way just a little bit backward (maybe 1/8 inch bounceback). Immediately after that the flipper had WAY less power than it did before. I tested both flippers during game play and the left one stays solid when its up and a ball coming down the playfield hits it, but the right one now has a bit of give backward when that happens on it and it's still way underpowered. Seems like something mechanical came loose or gave way on it. Anyone have any ideas on what to check?

Yep, Agree with swampfire and jdroc it's a blown coil stop, easy enough to replace, (I'm a novice also and I managed to do it ) It happened to me on the same flipper 2 weeks ago, I changed all 3 just to be on the safe side, $4.95 ea from Pinball Life. Good luck

#2353 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check these out.

This looks like the problem. Coil stop rivet is blown out.

33FE5AC9-731E-468B-8D51-E2E795279675 (resized).jpeg33FE5AC9-731E-468B-8D51-E2E795279675 (resized).jpeg
#2354 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

This looks like the problem. Coil stop rivet is blown out.[quoted image]

Yep, you need to replace the coil stop obviously. This has been happening a few years now with Sterns. Not sure why they can't supply working coil stops.

#2355 4 years ago

Oh and be sure to remove the broken nub that will be inside the coil sleeve before putting a new coil stop on.

#2358 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

This looks like the problem. Coil stop rivet is blown out.[quoted image]

I’ve had this problem now a couple times, once with Star Wars and once on JP. While they sent me new replacements, I ordered the brass colored stops found on their earlier games like LOTR/TSPP and have discoverd they hold up better/better quality.

Both games had a coil stop blow out within a hundred games, that’s completely unacceptable.

1 month later
#3191 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Less than 200 plays. Paid a premium to get a premium, did not receive premium parts. Good thing I live 15 minutes from Pinball Life.
[quoted image]

Is this the stop that people are ordering from pinball life?
https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html

#3222 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Anyone had issues with your right flipper since the new code update? It is like my slightly loses hold power now. I checked it out physically and everything seems okay, just get a little drop when the flipper is up and hit by a ball coming downward.
Also, I have had an issue where the GI lights for the lower left side of the playfield have a tendency to go out...I haven't been able to correlate it to any specific instance, and a reboot brings them back every time. Anyone else?

That is most likely a blown out coil stop. I had to replace the coil stops on my jp both right flippers very early on, less than 300 plays i believe. I had one coil stop blow out in my deadpool less than 150 plays. But after replacing DP has gone 1500+ still strong. And JP about 2.5k still strong.

1 week later
#3317 4 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

My left flipper drops down when the ball feeds out of the raptor pen and I want to trap it. It doesn’t fall all the way down, but a little and appears to be getting more each time. Anyone else have this issue and is there a fix that anyone knows of? Thanks.

I had this exact issue a few days ago. It was caused by a broken coil stop.

I contacted my distributor and had a few replacement coil stops sent out.

jurassic_park_broken_coil_stop_1 (resized).jpgjurassic_park_broken_coil_stop_1 (resized).jpg

jurassic_park_broken_coil_stop_2 (resized).jpgjurassic_park_broken_coil_stop_2 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#3427 4 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Factory. Maybe my coil stops are wearing out.

How do you know when coil stops break? Do they start feeling sluggish then give out?

My right flipper feels like it lost some power and is sluggish. I’ve never experienced a broken coil stop before.

1 week later
#3498 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Ive got a really weak upper right flipper. What do you recommend for a rebuild? Is there a kit with all the parts? Also, are there kits to keep on hand for backup? Looking for recommendations

Probably just need to replace the coil stop

#3499 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Ive got a really weak upper right flipper. What do you recommend for a rebuild? Is there a kit with all the parts? Also, are there kits to keep on hand for backup? Looking for recommendations

Just need a new coil stop. Replace all 3 while your at it.

#3535 4 years ago

My new coil stops arrived. I invited some buddies over to help with this simple repair; just 2 screws out, put the new coil stop in and screw it back together. Did all three no problem.
What I took out was the plate with a hole and the spring washer- for all three coil stops. I thought the coil stop disintegrated or something.
We got the game running again, however, the flippers only moved half way. That didn’t seem right. We followed the simple instructions.
But then I had an idea- what if the button was still in the coil sleeve!
We took a look, and sure enough the buttons were in all three coil sleeves.
We took the buttons out, and this time also remembered to put the spring washer back on the new coil stops too.
My audits say that I had 50,000 left flips and 70,000 right flips.
How do these coil stops break so easily? Are the a bad batch or a cheap batch?
I’m glad it was a simple fix, and the shots are now quick and snappy!

81818601_10157785396036113_7219170099872137216_n (resized).jpg81818601_10157785396036113_7219170099872137216_n (resized).jpg82781144_10157785396096113_954365454275575808_n (resized).jpg82781144_10157785396096113_954365454275575808_n (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3645 4 years ago

I was informed that our route JP pro has a "weak" lower right flipper. I haven't inspected it yet, but the upper flipper flips great, so curious if anyone has tips before I go. I am hoping the coil stop didn't snap off and is just causing it to be funky, although that would be the easier fix...

#3646 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I was informed that our route JP pro has a "weak" lower right flipper. I haven't inspected it yet, but the upper flipper flips great, so curious if anyone has tips before I go. I am hoping the coil stop didn't snap off and is just causing it to be funky, although that would be the easier fix...

First guess would be the coil stop.

#3690 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Went back to the game and sure enough the post was loose again, put loctite on and screwed it back in. But damage has been done :/[quoted image]

Post keeps coming loose even with blue loctite :/

Also the coil stop rivet was broke and that is why my right flipper sucks.

#3691 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Post keeps coming loose even with blue loctite :/
Also the coil stop rivet was broke and that is why my right flipper sucks.

Snagged a coil stop from my sega and it fixed it.

Anyone have an issue with the ball plunging (manual) up the 180? Is this the same issue as the shim for the shooter lane? Auto plunge works fine but manual the ball bangs around and has a hard time going up the ramp

3 weeks later
#3995 4 years ago

I did the post replacement fix last night & found that the coil stop was also blown out. Luckily I did happen to have an extra coil stop so that was replaced as well. I positioned the flipper what seems a bit off as the side tower shot is not easily achieved. The flipper is very slightly positioned forward from the right orbit path. The flipper now has full strength, but it seems it needs to be moved back slightly?

003 (resized).JPG003 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#4239 4 years ago

Anyone else seem to have a weak right flipper? I have it cranked up to the highest setting, 255, in the settings and it still just doesn't have the snap it should.

I replaced the coil stop today and it looked fine.. no change there.

I don't get it, maybe they reduced the power because of the Trex shot ? Not sure. Just thought I'd mention it... Not a huge issue it just seems like it barely has the power at times to go up the left ramp..

2 weeks later
#4376 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Anyone know which other coil might be compatible with a 22-1080 coil for the flipper. My left flipper became pretty weak and I don't have the same exact coil on hand thanks.

Before you replace the coil, have you checked the coil stop to make sure that isn’t the problem? It’s been a somewhat frequent issue causing weak flippers.

#4384 4 years ago
Quoted from Tungs10:

I struggled with this for over a year in another title. Turned out to be that copper looking stopper at end of coil. If replacing it - your best best is a rebuild kit that will also include the rod that might now be mushroomed at the tip. You'll also see some metal dust in the cab.

This early on, your plunger probably isn't in need of replacement (but worth checking) and certainly not a full rebuild kit.
A bunch of brass dust in the cab under said flipper is a dead giveaway though.
These coil stops are notoriously bad.

Order 3.

#4388 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Before you replace the coil, have you checked the coil stop to make sure that isn’t the problem? It’s been a somewhat frequent issue causing weak flippers.

Yep it was the coil stop fixed it today thanks.

1 week later
#4504 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I was in the middle of a game and my right lower flipper stopped having full power and now it’s at about 60%. I lifted up the playfield and nothing seems wrong with the flipper. Any idea what could cause it to stars only giving 60% power?

Pull your coil stop good chance you will see it’s shot once you take it off

#4507 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Pull your coil stop good chance you will see it’s shot once you take it off

You the man, that’s what it was. The only coil stop I had was for Bally/Williams games and it works but the stop is a hair, I mean hair shorter. Is it fine that I used it?

#4508 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

You the man, that’s what it was. The only coil stop I had was for Bally/Williams games and it works but the stop is a hair, I mean hair shorter. Is it fine that I used it?

Get a few of these...

1 month later
#4997 3 years ago

Replaced my 3rd coil stop today.
Total games: 670
All 3 original stops separated the same way.

Luckily I had one on hand. Time to catch some dinos.

#5014 3 years ago

Check your coil stop. I had a similar issue and the coil stop had broken loose.

Quoted from tcw16505:

Is anyone having issues with flipper accuracy on hitting the T-rex ramp and Spiral ramp on right? Its like the flipper is not in the same angle twice or something. I understand ball spread is critical for repeatability but its like a defect or slop in the assembly. It was shipped direct so i can't imagine anything but shipping vibration. Any clues?

1 month later
#5607 3 years ago

I know there have been several posts about this previously but I wanted to share my experience with coil stops. I have played over 1000 games on my machine and check the stops for obvious signs of failure which didn’t seem to be the case. Tonight I was fed up with missing the S shot due to weak power and decided to replace the left flipper coil stop and clean the coil sleeve while I was at it. I will include a picture of the old and new coil stop for reference but immediately I could hit the S shot easily. I will replace the other coils stops another night but the right flippers don’t seem to need as much power and aren’t sticking or anything.

6D5F5360-4E9E-4C67-A4FF-DAF03A21AB34 (resized).jpeg6D5F5360-4E9E-4C67-A4FF-DAF03A21AB34 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#6028 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

code was first step when plugged in. had 0.86 in it

Yep that'd make a huge improvement!

Oh a few other things:
1. The early JP's seemed to have a bad batch of flipper coil stops, so you may find that a flipper goes all weak. This was typically seen in the first couple of hundred games. The knob of the coil stop detaches from it's bracket. So worth grabbing 3 spares as you'll most likely need them.
2. While the newer code will have dialed down the default power setting for some of the coils, it's worth checking the trough kickout into the shooter lane - people were noticing chipping in the shooter lane opposite to the kickout hole. So you might want to lower the power right down (I think mine is on the lowest setting)

2 weeks later
#6302 3 years ago

First time pin owner so pardon my inexperience. Came home from vacation to a noticeably weaker right flipper. Skill shots aimed at left ramp hitting somewhere around the raptor cage. I took a look at the flipper assembly and coil stop and didn’t see anything initially. There is some black powder that I could wipe off, not nothing looked out of place. What recommendations do you have for getting my flipper back to working order? I checked the game menu to confirm my right flipper power is still set to where it was before vacation. Thanks in advance.

29C400EB-424E-467F-9BD8-EC4AACB22186 (resized).jpeg29C400EB-424E-467F-9BD8-EC4AACB22186 (resized).jpeg3B251B2C-F3C0-4EA8-8723-1F9916CF305C (resized).jpeg3B251B2C-F3C0-4EA8-8723-1F9916CF305C (resized).jpeg
#6303 3 years ago
Quoted from jacksparrow0112:

First time pin owner so pardon my inexperience. Came home from vacation to a noticeably weaker right flipper. Skill shots aimed at left ramp hitting somewhere around the raptor cage. I took a look at the flipper assembly and coil stop and didn’t see anything initially. There is some black powder that I could wipe off, not nothing looked out of place. What recommendations do you have for getting my flipper back to working order? I checked the game menu to confirm my right flipper power is still set to where it was before vacation. Thanks in advance.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like a bad coil stop. Do a search on that term here on pinside, and you'll know where to buy them and what to do.

#6304 3 years ago

How many games on the machine? Looks like alot of black dust, which usually means something is wearing more quickly. You confirmed that the power setting is correct, so it is likely a mechanical issue. The coil sleeve comes to mind, but could be the stop. Should be some quick and easy diagnosis of the assembly to confirm what is going on. Question: When you manually move the plunger rod, does it feel like the left flipper and retract the same way, with the same 'feel'?

#6306 3 years ago

jacksparrow0112
When you buy a new coil stop, just buy 3 now. They are all likely going to fail. Best to have some on hand.

#6313 3 years ago

Recent Stern titles are notorious for coil stop issues, so best to just swap them out.

I know the feeling of being a first time owner, as I had a flipper issues with my first NIB game, and I felt lost.

So to make things easier for you, grab yourself a few of these:

And a few of these:

https://www.pinballlife.com/2-316-coil-sleeve.html

I also would personally grab a few of these:

https://www.pinballlife.com/segastern-flipper-extension-spring.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/sternsegadata-east-rubber-bumper-pluggrommet.html

If you're unsure of how to install them, just post here and someone will help out. It might seem daunting, but it's actually super easy.

Cheers.

#6332 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Recent Stern titles are notorious for coil stop issues, so best to just swap them out.
I know the feeling of being a first time owner, as I had a flipper issues with my first NIB game, and I felt lost.
So to make things easier for you, grab yourself a few of these:
And a few of these:
https://www.pinballlife.com/2-316-coil-sleeve.html
I also would personally grab a few of these:
https://www.pinballlife.com/segastern-flipper-extension-spring.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/sternsegadata-east-rubber-bumper-pluggrommet.html
If you're unsure of how to install them, just post here and someone will help out. It might seem daunting, but it's actually super easy.
Cheers.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. Last night I ordered 3 Stern coil stops from pinball life. Today at lunch I removed the right and left flipper coil stops to have a closer look at the flipper assemblies. My untrained eye didn’t locate any glaring issues/difference between them, and both coil stops did not appear damaged to me. Also both assemblies felt like they had the same level of play/movement before and after the stop removal. I did notice that the end of the coils that slid out of the sleeves appear to be chamfered. Not sure if that is correct or is those are supposed to be ground flat. I’ll try installing the new stops when they arrive and report back.

0115E92B-29C6-4180-B09B-D84D0024DF8E (resized).jpeg0115E92B-29C6-4180-B09B-D84D0024DF8E (resized).jpeg2F8AF6D4-D5F9-4E84-9937-A650D9F97C7A (resized).jpeg2F8AF6D4-D5F9-4E84-9937-A650D9F97C7A (resized).jpeg71E6A9F4-8C68-4D8C-945C-E3B19AAFA06B (resized).jpeg71E6A9F4-8C68-4D8C-945C-E3B19AAFA06B (resized).jpegA8AE05F3-0251-47B1-8AFE-F3529DF2EE85 (resized).jpegA8AE05F3-0251-47B1-8AFE-F3529DF2EE85 (resized).jpegC7725FB5-FF53-4018-9230-A1B737D71E9D (resized).jpegC7725FB5-FF53-4018-9230-A1B737D71E9D (resized).jpegCF46582F-01D8-44FD-A202-0B67C9E749B3 (resized).jpegCF46582F-01D8-44FD-A202-0B67C9E749B3 (resized).jpeg
#6333 3 years ago

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. Last night I ordered 3 Stern coil stops from pinball life. Today at lunch I removed the right and left flipper coil stops to have a closer look at the flipper assemblies. My untrained eye didn’t locate any glaring issues/difference between them, and both coil stops did not appear damaged to me. Also both assemblies felt like they had the same level of play/movement before and after the stop removal. I did notice that the end of the coils that slid out of the sleeves appear to be chamfered. Not sure if that is correct or is those are supposed to be ground flat. I’ll try installing the new stops when they arrive and report back. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is the part that the plunger hits still firm in the bracket or can you move/wiggle the middle part of the coil stop?

#6334 3 years ago
Quoted from Sjoend:

Is the part that the plunger hits still firm in the bracket or can you move/wiggle the middle part of the coil stop?

Thank you for directing my attention to that. Sure enough, the right coil stop has a slight amount of play where the middle part can be moved back and forth slightly. There is zero play in the left coil stop. Guessing that slight amount of movement is causing the issue I saw. Fingers crossed the replacement fixes the issue.

1 month later
#7236 3 years ago
Quoted from Powerhouse47:

My lower right flipper changed. New Pro was working great, then poof Barely enough power to launch ball up TRex ramp. I emailed Stern, haven’t heard back yet. Any thoughts? Both left and upper flipper power is fine.

Coil stop 100% . Easy fix. It's a common issue.

Well maybe not 100% but I bet that's the problem.

#7241 3 years ago
Quoted from Powerhouse47:

That the little nub? Need to clean or replace?

It's the L-bracket with the nub attached to it. If you keyword search this forum topic for "coil stop" you'll see some posts where people showed pictures of them. When you check it, the nub could be a little bit loose or missing altogether (if it's missing then it's likely inside the coil). You'll need to remove the bracket to check it. The replacement part is the bracket with the nub attached, so it's a very easy part to replace.

#7242 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

It's the L-bracket with the nub attached to it. If you keyword search this forum topic for "coil stop" you'll see some posts where people showed pictures of them. When you check it, the nub could be a little bit loose or missing altogether (if it's missing then it's likely inside the coil). You'll need to remove the bracket to check it. The replacement part is the bracket with the nub attached, so it's a very easy part to replace.

When I replaced my left coil stop, the nub was missing and I put the new stop on without checking in the coil. I figured out where the nub went real quick when my flipper only moved about 1/4" inch. I had to redo my work to get the nub out of the coil.

#7244 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

This it?

Product ID: 515-6308-01
Flipper Coil Stop For Stern/Sega

#7250 3 years ago

I purchased 3 new coil stops from PBL in preparation for my JP coming in late October. My question is if anyone thinks Stern will have fixed their coil stop issues in the upcoming production run or should I just replace them day 1 as a preventative measure?

I've been in the hobby for about 5 years, and have never had one fail (never owned a Stern). Is this something common with them, or did they just have a bad batch?

#7251 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I purchased 3 new coil stops from PBL in preparation for my JP coming in late October. My question is if anyone thinks Stern will have fixed their coil stop issues in the upcoming production run or should I just replace them day 1 as a preventative measure?
I've been in the hobby for about 3 years, and have never had one fail (never owned a Stern). Is this something common with them, or did they just have a bad batch?

My JP was a pre order first run Pro. I just replaced my first coil stop this past weekend. About 700 plays so far. If it ain't broke, dont fix it. Lol.

1 week later
#7410 3 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Maybe i dont make myself clear, i mean the flippers fell weak, the right one. The game is superflow if you make the shots right.

Have you double checked that the coil stop on the flipper assembly is still solid - this has been an issue especially with JP. The coil stop nub has a tendency to become loose and eventually detach itself from the bracket of the coil stop that it is fixed to - this quite often results in a weak flipper

#7417 3 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Maybe i dont make myself clear, i mean the flippers fell weak, the right one. The game is superflow if you make the shots right.

That's why I was asking I bet you just need to replace the coil stop. Not the whole coil. Cheap and easy fix.

4 weeks later
#7894 3 years ago
Quoted from Metroshica:

Since everyone seems to have issues with Stern coil stops, I decided to take a look at mine today. I was very surprised to see that mine are rubber. Has Stern switched to that now? I did notice that my flippers sounded a lot quieter than my BKSOR sounded, I'm wondering if that's why.

This is your coil stop The little round button in the center can become loose or even detached.

Screenshot_20201023-081248_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201023-081248_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg

#7896 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

This is your coil stop The little round button in the center can become loose or even detached.
[quoted image]

I have a question about the coil stops... When the coil stop is just loose should I replace them or is it just indicative that they will probably fail soon? I have a couple on hand because I own six modern sterns and heard this is something that fails often. Does it hurt anything to leave them until they fail?

1 month later
#8559 3 years ago

I was hoping if someone can please give me done advice ...

My right lower flipper is not as powerful as the left one...

I changed the coil stop to be on safe side, the power in the options menu is at 255 ( maximum strength) which is the same as the left...

The left one is as snappy as shit while the right just doesnt have that nice feel to it...

I dont know what to do...

Can someone please give me a tip ..

Thnx in advance

2 months later
#9627 3 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

My Control Room VUK / Post is about 1/8" below the surface of the playfield. Now and again a ball will get stuck there, and then the ball search launches it into the glass like a cannon. Scares the piss out of whoever is playing. I've not messed with this particular component before. Is this common, and is it a relatively simple adjustment to get it back to level with the playfield?

Yes - it’s a threaded stop under the coil with a jam nut to lock it. Takes 5 min tops. You’ll be mad at yourself for waiting so long to fix it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/181#post-6068332

2 weeks later
#9917 3 years ago

A coil stop bit the dust last night. 660 games played. I had three waiting for the day it happened. Curious what amount of games others had at the time of failure.

#9924 3 years ago

I was curious. It seemed that mine might have been lasting longer than others. I was starting to think maybe I had a good batch of stops..... not so much. It’s an easy fix at least

I don't understand this deal with the coil stops - I had some dust and replaced mine. However, the stop is just that L-shaped metal thingy on the end. What makes the factory Stern ones crappy vs. the replacements? I also replaced the internal tube/sleeve thing. Just seems like kind of a simply, low-tech thing to be failing.

#9926 3 years ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

I don't understand this deal with the coil stops - I had some dust and replaced mine. However, the stop is just that L-shaped metal thingy on the end. What makes the factory Stern ones crappy vs. the replacements? I also replaced the internal tube/sleeve thing. Just seems like kind of a simply, low-tech thing to be failing.

The rivet/bump on the coil stop has had issues with coming loose. Happened on my JP2 but so far so good on my AIQ. This post shows what it looks like when it completely comes off, but it can cause problems for the flipper even if the rivet just becomes loose.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/48#post-5275530

And yes the coil sleeves/tubes can get dirty over time and cause some slight loss of power in the flipper so replacing them occasionally with clean ones helps.

#9927 3 years ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

While coil stops will wear down over time due to the pounding they endure from the plunger and need to be replaced over time, the Stern ones actually fail. The coil stop nub (cylindrical part that goes in the end of the sleeve) is attached to the coil stop bracket, however there is a brass collar that separates the 2 components to stop the bracket becoming magnetised. The nub and brass collar are pressed into the bracket as part of the manufacturing process however with the Stern coil stops this fixture is not able to withstand the continual impact of the plunger and eventually the nub loosens in the bracket and will eventually break off from the bracket. This is possibly because the nub and collar aren't long enough where they go through the bracket and it limits the amount of material holding the bracket after being pressed.

#9934 3 years ago

These be the ones??

#9946 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Are you sure? It’s not so obvious until it gets real bad. Most of the time the stops wear down slightly over time slowly robbing power from the flippers. It’s so gradual that you may not even notice. If you see any metal dust in the cabinet it’s time to replace IMO.

Yep, I am sure. No metal underneath the flippers and all the flippers still work great. Our Munsters had coil stop issues, we just replaced the coils stops and sleeves. Easy.

#9949 3 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

How do you know what Pinball Life carries is not made by the same manufacturer who supplies Stern?

I do not know where Pinball Life buy their stuff from.

If something is broken, I just fix it. We keep around 20 Stern flipper kits and we have purchased them from different suppliers. I can tell you that every coil stop we have replaced has never come apart like the faulty ones you see in these threads.

#9958 3 years ago

Hey Everyone,

The lights near my flippers are inconsistently on and occasionally flicker while playing. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? I just replaced a coil stop on the bottom right flipper could I have loosened a wire?

Thanks,

Dan

1 month later
#10335 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

Hi guys,
My JP Pro's upper flipper makes a bit of a sharp noise when coming down.
It plays perfect, but I heard I when playing.
Any ideas what this "issue" can be?

If this is a new machine, it might be worth checking the coil stop on the flipper mech.

Otherwise pull the glass off and test/inspect. Try manually moving the flipper bat by hand and see if you feel it catching on anything. Also raise the PF (take the balls out first), reach around the front of the PF and move the flipper bat by hand but this time watch the flipper mech to see if you spot anything. If nothing mechanical is obvious, with the that PF raised power the machine on and test the flipper to see if you can recreate the issue. Let us know how you get on

2 months later
#10905 2 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

The right flipper on my new game will sometimes not come all the way back down after a flip. Is there an adjustment I can do? I wonder if something is on too tight. Thanks guys.

First thing to check is the coil stop. Stern has had issues with these. Easy fix if this is the case.

#10918 2 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

So what am Iooking for on the coilstop?

The nub will be loose on a bad coil stop. It’s not always blatantly obvious but replacing them is cheap and easy.

2 weeks later
#11012 2 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

It could very well be that you have a jammed/stuck-ish switch that gets triggered the moment you launch the ball or very soon thereafter. That happens to me from time to time and I think it's some standup target to blame on my machine, but it doesn't happen often enough for me to where I've dug in to figure it out.

Check the stand-up target in the back of the raptor pen.

Quoted from Stormfront:

Or suggestions for tuning new JP machines out of the box?

Let's see what I can still remember:

-Swapping the manual plunger inner spring to the orange version (https://www.pinballlife.com/ball-shooter-plunger-inner-spring-orange.html)
-Align the top edge of the three flipper bat plastics to the alignment holes, not the centers like normal.
-The left fork of the shooting lane ramp often needs a few washers underneath to stop the ball from drifting left and rejecting out of the half-pipe
-Keith Elwin recommends a playfield pitch of seven degrees (I prefer 6.5, but that's me)
-Replace the stock black rubbers off the table to keep the playfield cleaner
-Tighten the upper flipper post; a loose post will start chipping the playfield. Protective washers or rings are also a good idea.
-Make sure the stand-up target in the very back of the raptor pen doesn't rub or catch on the post rubber right next to it (Shim one side of the stand-up brace with washers under the table to lean the target if needed)
-Use tape to block the lower portion of the opto holes in guides/ramps for the orbit and T-Rex ramp to catch faster moving shots or airballs. You can also put washers underneath for a cleaner looking fix.
-Upgrade the thrust bearing on the truck assembly (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QLWRTBN)
-Order replacement coil stops for all three flippers. Stern's shipped coil stops used to (and still may) break loose or fail prematurely (https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html)

Almost forgot:
-Drop the ball trough eject strength to the lowest setting

#11026 2 years ago
Quoted from KissPin:

Joined the JP club about a week ago. Love the game. Code is unbelievably in depth. So much going on that keeps me coming back.
Who here has the most plays on their game? I find myself having a crappy first ball and starting over quickly. Racking up the plays quick

I have first run prem I’m sitting at 300 plays lol

I’m over 2650 plays on my LE that I got NIB in Oct 2019. About 1800-2000 of those are me. Still plays awesome. No issues ever other than a failed coil stop. I never restart games. In fact I have it turned off in the settings. You can’t even if you want to.

1 week later
#11133 2 years ago
Quoted from chickenscratch:

Hmm… so tried the orange spring and unfortunately made the manual plunger issue much worse. Auto-plunge I can’t seem to resolve either. I can’t win ha-ha! Running out of options here on this dang shooter lane which never completely worked oob; going to need to open up a Stern ticket me thinks.

Is it still drifting to the left? Any pictures of the washers under the fork?

You could also try a blue spring like I have, but I'd advise against doing a full plunge to avoid hitting the right orbit shot from the shooting lane via making a hole in the half-pipe. It might be a good idea to check the auto-plunger coil and assembly under the playfield to make sure there isn't a mechanical issue like the coil sleeve causing binding or a loose/broken coil stop.

2 weeks later
#11322 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Did you check your coil stops? Do your flipper plungers move freely between the coil sleeve?
I don’t think node boards do anything to your flippers. Intermittent sometimes means loose wire. I’d check your coil lugs

I second the coil stop suggestion. They're known to be total junk on this game and other newer sterns. Cheap fix

#11323 2 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

My upper flipper is starting to intermittently fail? I've reflowed the coil connectors along with the switch. The lower flippers are perfect. It'll fire sometimes, half fire other times, but mostly not at all.

Have you checked or replaced the coil stops yet? Coil stops were prone to early failure when JP first started shipping in 2019 and may still be problematic. I highly recommend swapping out all of the coil stops on Stern tables. Try checking continuity on both the flipper and EOS leaf switches to be sure, although I suspect the coil stop "button" is broken off and floating around in the coil sleeve. If so, also replace the coil sleeve for that flipper if the inside of the sleeve is damaged.

Node board!?? Crap, I hope not. Would that be intermittent though?

It's certainly possible if there is a weak or failing connection, although I would expect the CPU to pick up intermittent flipper failures. You can try swapping the node8 and node9 boards (Requires changing jumper settings after swapping connections). I really suspect the coil stop, though, and highly recommend checking that first since it's a common known issue and a much easier test/solution.

Quoted from FatPanda:

Is there an EOS switch on Spike II games? I haven't really had the need to examine flipper parts yet *knockonwood*

Yes, there is an EOS switch. Stern uses single wound flipper coils and rapidly pulses power instead of an alternate lower power hold coil. There is some debate on the functionality of the EOS switch on SPIKE2. For Sega/Stern Whitestar, if a ball impact causes the flipper to drop and close the EOS switch, the board will send a full longer pulse to push the flipper back out which should re-open the EOS switch, and go back to pulsing the coil power to hold the flipper up. Presumable nothing changed for SPIKE/SPIKE2, although it isn't confirmed. For JP/SPIKE2, the EOS switch either does little to nothing except signal the CPU, or the EOS switch handles rebounds the same way it did in the Whitestar era.

#11325 2 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I second the coil stop suggestion. They're known to be total junk on this game and other newer sterns. Cheap fix

I'll get out to my JP today and confirm the coil stop. Would a faulty coil stop stop it from flipping at all though?

#11329 2 years ago

Took off the coil stop, looks brand new. All switches appear good. I’m at a loss.

#11371 2 years ago

Metal shavings from where do you think?

Did you get your flipper issue sorted?

I can already tell you that your issue is not metal shavings from a coil stop falling apart.

#11382 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Did you get your flipper issue sorted?
I can already tell you that your issue is not metal shavings from a coil stop falling apart.

Nup... not sorted yet. I contacted Stern and they've asked me to look for "gold dust", from a failed coil stop I presume. The coil stop is perfect though :-/

1 month later
#11838 2 years ago

Let me ask the group of question related to lower flipper power.
I noticed this on my previous premium to a degree, but on my pro I also noticed the same thing.
The question relates to the lower flipper power. I notice it mostly on the right. It seems that after a 2-3 games of play, the power of that right lower flipper seems to get a bit wimpy (I noticed this mostly in its reliability to get the ball up and around that T-Rex ramp at times).
It's not a coil stop issue, coil stop is ok.
Factory setting already has it at its highest strength.
Do you think this is an issue with heating of the coil (which seems more and more to be a growing trend with some of these newer spike/spike 2 games) and if so, has anyone tried the coil fans provided by Pin Monk on their JP? If so, have there been noticeable results after adding those fans? Any other suggestions?
Thanks!!!

#11845 2 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

I'd say that I noticed the right flipper getting slightly weak to get up that left T-Rex ramp after about 20 minutes of play. Now, that said, it's not a consistently weak feeling flipper at that ~20 minute mark, it's intermittent, but that weakness seems to progress and become more noticeable the longer I play.
Game set up fairly steep, but nothing crazy, shy of 7° and playfield is level.

Hey! I'm not the only one. I too have suspected an intermittent weak flip; It doesn't seem like fade to me due to the intermittent nature. I've changed both the coil stop and coil sleeve, seemed to help a bit, but it still there. I've got >3000 games played and it may be time for a full flipper rebuild, I'm thinking it could be a loose linkage. If you figure out what it is, let us know.

#11847 2 years ago
Quoted from RikV:

Hey! I'm not the only one. I too have suspected an intermittent weak flip; It doesn't seem like fade to me due to the intermittent nature. I've changed both the coil stop and coil sleeve, seemed to help a bit, but it still there. I've got >3000 games played and it may be time for a full flipper rebuild, I'm thinking it could be a loose linkage. If you figure out what it is, let us know.

Yes, it's an intermittent weak feeling from the lower flipper, predominantly the right flipper. I too changed the coil stop and sleeve, not much difference. Again, it's not that I can't get the ramp, it's just it definitely feels to intermittently get weak and I noticed this mainly with nice clean shots to the left ramp just barely getting up and around sometimes. I am going to try those coil fans and see if that proves beneficial. If it does, awesome, if not, I may switch those fans off to my Iron Maiden. I will report back either way.

#11848 2 years ago
Quoted from RikV:

Quoted from ChipScott:

Yes, it's an intermittent weak feeling from the lower flipper, predominantly the right flipper. I too changed the coil stop and sleeve, not much difference. Again, it's not that I can't get the ramp, it's just it definitely feels to intermittently get weak and I noticed this mainly with nice clean shots to the left ramp just barely getting up and around sometimes. I am going to try those coil fans and see if that proves beneficial. If it does, awesome, if not, I may switch those fans off to my Iron Maiden. I will report back either way.

Interested in this as some games I struggle particularly with the left ramp as if it simply doesn't have enough power - I swapped out my coil stop early on when it fell apart but have put alot of games on since. How hot are you flipper coils getting? Definitely let us know whether the cooling fans address the issue

#11852 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Interested in this as some games I struggle particularly with the left ramp as if it simply doesn't have enough power - I swapped out my coil stop early on when it fell apart but have put alot of games on since. How hot are you flipper coils getting? Definitely let us know whether the cooling fans address the issue

The coils do get hot, as expected, but I can't report a specific degrees, but I too am curious if these Pin Monk flipper cooling fans will help here. Seems as though there are several Spikes/Spike 2 games that have been benefiting from these fans, so I figured why not give it a try.
The flipper mechanism itself is perfectly fine, new coil stop, fresh cold sleeve, EOS switches are fine, no rattling of the ball at the ramp entrance has mentioned above.... Right lower flipper just seems to intermittently feel weak (noticed mainly by getting up that left ramp at times).
I'm hopeful this fan works and I will definitely make sure to report my findings when it arrives and is installed.

2 weeks later
#11984 2 years ago

Anybody know the part number of the machine screw for the flipper coil stop bracket? Or otherwise what thread it is? The 2 coil stop screws are bigger than the ones used on the coil support bracket on the other end of the coil but unfortunately the manual doesn't say what they are. Discovered the head had snapped for on one on the upper flipper mech and luckily I was still able to get the rest of it out (which had locktite on it)

JP Flipper Mech (resized).JPGJP Flipper Mech (resized).JPG
#11985 2 years ago

Don't know for sure, but here's what I'm seeing. I ordered a coil stop screw for my POTC last year and it was a #10-32 x 3/4", but it was a socket head bolt.

When I just searched Pinball Life's website for "coil stop" some of the first results on the page were for a couple types of screws that are #10-32. One of those screws says it's for fastening coil stops to Stern flipper assembly bases. Here it is:

https://www.pinballlife.com/10-32-x-38-serrated-slotted-hex-washer-thread-forming-screw.html

Also, when you look up the Stern coil stop on Marco Specialties' website and click on "Related Items" on that page it shows the same #10-32 screw as Pinball Life. Here it is:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/237-5985-00

There's also this forum on Pinside that seems to suggest #10-32 is the correct size:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-stern-s-flipper-screws-all-made-out-of-aluminum

Finally, a site called Action Pinball has this in a product description: "One set does one coil stop. Includes two #10-32 x 3/8 slotted hex washer head screws (non-swage)". Here's a link:

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=HWRKIT3

So not 100% but putting these pieces together it seems like that #10-32 size is likely it, and you'd just need the correct length of that size. Hope this helps.

#11986 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Don't know for sure, but here's what I'm seeing. I ordered a coil stop screw for my POTC last year and it was a #10-32 x 3/4", but it was a socket head bolt.
When I just searched Pinball Life's website for "coil stop" some of the first results on the page were for a couple types of screws that are #10-32. One of those screws says it's for fastening coil stops to Stern flipper assembly bases. Here it is:
https://www.pinballlife.com/10-32-x-38-serrated-slotted-hex-washer-thread-forming-screw.html
Also, when you look up the Stern coil stop on Marco Specialties' website and click on "Related Items" on that page it shows the same #10-32 screw as Pinball Life. Here it is:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/237-5985-00
There's also this forum on Pinside that seems to suggest #10-32 is the correct size:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-stern-s-flipper-screws-all-made-out-of-aluminum
Finally, a site called Action Pinball has this in a product description: "One set does one coil stop. Includes two #10-32 x 3/8 slotted hex washer head screws (non-swage)". Here's a link:
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=HWRKIT3
So not 100% but putting these pieces together it seems like that #10-32 size is likely it, and you'd just need the correct length of that size. Hope this helps.

Awesome - thanks! I got thrown off in my searches by the fact that my coil stop screws have 1/2" of thread (while the bracket on the other end of the coil has 3/8" length screws - I'm guessing now that they are 8-32 x 3/8"). I wonder whether Stern have changed to 1/2" screws on the coil stops??

Based on the Pinside thread you found, it seems that these screws are zinc (not steel) and prone to their heads coming off ...

2 months later
#12762 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

So my right flipper has started to feel just a bit loose compared to the left. Like theres less spring resistance on it then the left and its messing with me a bit. I havent had to adjust flippers yet in my pinball life. Is the way to fix this to mess with the leaf switch connected to the flipper button? I see the right one has a bigger gap then left, then again the right is controlling to flippers. See pics below. Would I just use a plier to adjust?[quoted image][quoted image]

What do you mean when you say the flipper feels a bit loose? Is it that you're hitting the button and there's a delay in the flipper activating, or is it that the flipper doesn't seem to have as much power anymore, or something else?

If the flipper seemed fine before and now it's acting differently, then the leaf switch for the button likely wouldn't be the issue unless you recently did something that caused the leaf to get bent differently than it was before.

If it's that the flipper doesn't feel strong or seems like it's giving a bit when the ball hits it then I'd check the rivet on the coil stop on the flipper mech first. If that rivet is loose then the flipper can lose power and seem a bit loose. It's a very easy part to pull off and check.

#12763 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

What do you mean when you say the flipper feels a bit loose? Is it that you're hitting the button and there's a delay in the flipper activating, or is it that the flipper doesn't seem to have as much power anymore, or something else?
If the flipper seemed fine before and now it's acting differently, then the leaf switch for the button likely wouldn't be the issue unless you recently did something that caused the leaf to get bent differently than it was before.
If it's that the flipper doesn't feel strong or seems like it's giving a bit when the ball hits it then I'd check the rivet on the coil stop on the flipper mech first. If that rivet is loose then the flipper can lose power and seem a bit loose. It's a very easy part to pull off and check.

The flipper power is fine and I dont think its the coil stop. I think its just that the actual pressing of the flipper button requires less power to press then the left. Like the spring inside the button has become less restrictive. So do I maybe just need to replace the buttons? Maybe give me a reason to try out LED buttons or something.

This seemed to have happened after changing the flipper rubbers but i dunno why that would do anything. Probably just noticed it after.

3 weeks later
#13149 2 years ago
Quoted from Joker19:

Clean my JP and this fell as we lifted the playfield and tested the flippers. Any one knows where it goes?

That looks like the washer that goes between the coil and coil stop on one of your flippers.

#13150 2 years ago
Quoted from Joker19:

Clean my JP and this fell as we lifted the playfield and tested the flippers. Any one knows where it goes?

Looks like another coil stop casualty, grab some replacements from pinballlife, some of sterns are a little crap from the factory.

#13155 2 years ago
Quoted from Joker19:

Definitely coil stop washer. Did you disassemble the flipper mechanism underneath?

#13159 2 years ago
Quoted from Joker19:No I did not, just was moving the pf up to test the switches. I cleaned the pf, installed flipper button light, though light. Never disassemble any coil or mechanism.

They don't normally fall out, but I guess it could if your coil stop was totally trashed. The washer is part #5 in this diagram. Go ahead and buy at least three of part #2. Part #2 is the coil stop and is a common fail point on JP. Common belief is Stern had a bad batch of coil stops during early production of JP. It's a cheap easy replacement.

Screenshot_20220131-085809_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220131-085809_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#13170 2 years ago
Quoted from rmf-pinball:

My Rule #1 on new Sterns: Pick up new coil stops (Pinball Life makes good ones) and install before you even turn the machine on.

Do you have a link for the coil stop on pinball life, for the life of me I can't find it

#13171 2 years ago
Quoted from Heavyk:

Do you have a link for the coil stop on pinball life, for the life of me I can't find it

2 weeks later
#13310 2 years ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Put stock flippers back in

There really isn't very much to a flipper, just a few moving parts involved. The bat and the bushing, and then the coil, plunger and linkage below the playfield. I would start eliminating variables. As acedanger says, start by putting stock bats back in. The metal shaft could be ever so slightly different is size versus stock. Could be the raw metal stock rod material is not very tight on tolerance, or the plating (if any) is thicker for instance. If that eliminates the noise, then you have found the source. If it doesn't stop then change the nylon bushing. It's possible that it has been deformed and is too tight against the metal bat shaft, but not that likely.

Back to stock and let us know what you find.

2 months later
#13653 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

I was wondering what all that gold dust was near where a shaker motor would be installed.....now, my lower flipper sticks to the point a ball has to hit it for it to come down.
Less than 3000 plays and about 250K right flipper activations .
Have the coil sleeves. Am awaiting the coil stops now.....

1) Probably the paint from the spring on the shooter rod wearing off.
2) Probably your coil stops are broken. Stern coil stops are notorious for breaking. I bet there is a hole in the bracket where the coil stop is supposed to reside, and the piece is not free-floating and going into your coil sleeve.

2 months later
#14522 1 year ago
Quoted from Kaijumke:

Thank you so much for the advice. I’m very grateful. It had seemed as though my flippers have been slowly losing a bit of power. I’m going to replace this and look the entire flipper mech over too.

May be worth a full flipper rebuild kit if your game has a lot of plays. This fails less often than some of the other components of the flipper mech. I would imagine your coil stop is trashed, too.

Also, a rule of thumb is that if you're replacing one flipper, you may wat to replace them all since they wear at roughly the same rate. That way you get parts from the same supplier/timeframe. Not to mention, when you have ALL new flippers, it's like having a completely new pin

3 months later
#15179 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Post Passing Cont'd:
I played a Premium on location today.
I noticed two important differences between it and my PRO:
1. Longer flipper stroke, which means the flipper tip in the up position is higher, allowing more secure cradles but also more difficult roll passes.
2. Post passing possible, either direction, although not easily.
My theory is that these are related. Basic geometry would suggest that. An early flip with a longer-stroke flipper will send the ball "backward" slightly more than a would an early flip with a shorter-stoke flipper. The only thing I can think of that would create a shorter stroke (on my PRO) is a longer plunger or a longer stop. I know Stern sources parts where they can. Perhaps they tossed plungers into my flipper assemblies that were a tad longer than they ought to be. I do NOT speculate that there is variation in the stops, but I s'pose it's possible, since we've already been through the crappy-stops-on-NIB-Stern-games crisis of last year.

I'm not aware of Stern changing their plunger or coil stop lengths, as they've been using the same part numbers for a long time. There is the possibility that the op has thrown in some coil stops that they had on hand (when the original ones failed) and these are shorter or well worn, which has slightly lengthened the stroke. Alternatively did you check the flipper bat alignment (when at rest) to the PF dot (the lower flippers should be centered to the dot) - it's possible the Prem you played has the flippers bats sitting slightly higher than yours and this is why it is also higher when in the up position.

#15184 1 year ago

Post Passing Cont'd:
I played a Premium on location today.
I noticed two important differences between it and my PRO:
1. Longer flipper stroke, which means the flipper tip in the up position is higher, allowing more secure cradles but also more difficult roll passes.
2. Post passing possible, either direction, although not easily.
My theory is that these are related. Basic geometry would suggest that. An early flip with a longer-stroke flipper will send the ball "backward" slightly more than a would an early flip with a shorter-stoke flipper. The only thing I can think of that would create a shorter stroke (on my PRO) is a longer plunger or a longer stop. I know Stern sources parts where they can. Perhaps they tossed plungers into my flipper assemblies that were a tad longer than they ought to be. I do NOT speculate that there is variation in the stops, but I s'pose it's possible, since we've already been through the crappy-stops-on-NIB-Stern-games crisis of last year.

1: the flipper stroke will getting longer with hundreds and thousands of plays. The Plunger and the coil stop will be smashed together. If you ever change worn out Plunger, sleeve and coil stop you will see.
2: maybe post pass will getting easier, but should be possible with new Plunger and coil stops as well. Try to adjust flipper alignment first. Check if lower posts on sling shots are mounted properly.

1 month later
#15615 1 year ago

What is unusual about what is visible in this photo of the upper-flipper assembly?

Better screws holding the coil stop on.

LTG : )

1 month later
#16051 1 year ago
Quoted from SAM1978:

Hey JPP fam, I've had my Pro for about 2 years, and in the last few weeks I've noticed it's playing a little rough. Specifically I've noticed the orbit around bumpers has sounded progressively worse. A pronounced "klunk" when the ball circles through it. After some investigating, the pop-up post is sitting a little higher than the playfield. Has anyone made adjustments to one of these? I can't find much in the way of documentation on how to adjust. I'm also noticing shots are getting much more airborne than I'm accustomed to. This was my first machine, and learning the ins and outs of maintenance as I go. Any tips, things to look into?
I clean & wax as needed (monthly/depending on plays). New rubbers + clean pinballs, are coming on Friday, I figure that can't hurt.

Its a microadjust stopper on the coil stop for that post. Just dial it down and u should be set.

2 months later
#16329 12 months ago
Quoted from Killermarmot:

I feel like I can nail almost every shot in the game except the main ramp.

I had this exact issue occur, and it crept up slowly, and it took months before I realized it was an issue with the game, and not a problem with my aim.

I tried so many different tweaks, and ultimately a complete flipper rebuild on the right, replacing the coil stop fixed it. The flipper mech looked fine, so it was not obvious.

I also tweaked the ramp entry to ensure a smooth transition to reduce rejects. Took slo-mo video, and even removed and reinstalled the entire Dino ramp. But the flipper mech was the main culprit.

I also installed the precision flipper kit. Not sure that it made a difference, but it didn't hurt.

No guaranty it'll fix it for you, but it helped my game come back to life.

#16331 12 months ago
Quoted from Killermarmot:

Feel like a crazy person, apologies in advance for the rant but I need help what to do next.
Had my JP Prem for a couple years now, I'm at around 1800 plays. Love the game, rules, the shots when it's flowing... but... it's just never really clicked for me success wise whereas Godzilla just feels great after 50 games (around 800 now and hit a Bil a couple hundred games ago). JP High score isn't great 600mil or so, never made it past T-rex paddock, never seen late game stuff and I really really want to!
Had a few hundred plays in the beginning at stock 6.5 deg and factory setting, played 5 ball for a while just to see if it was timing and keeping balls alive, went to 7 degree and noodled with flipper strength some things felt better, lots felt worse, after 1000 plays I replaced balls and rubbers with titans, shots felt way way more precise but a lot of the "flow" felt like it was lost, a few hundred plays at that and changed to where it's currently at 6.7 degrees, mostly factory flipper settings and I'm losing my mind. I feel like I can nail almost every shot in the game except the main ramp. I feel insane because I can nail missile shot, control room, raptor, etc but can't get rex ramp from plunge, from cradle, and feels like with the titans I can't comfortably transition a ball from left flip to right. Since rubber replacement, feels like most of games the ball is just bouncing around pointlessly until I can get some shots but can't consistently progress. Really do love the rule set and the shots but every game is just frustration.
Been following this thread for a while and tweaked and tuned based on it but would love advice of where to go to bring this game back to life. Should I just go back to factory 6.5 deg, stock settings, and start over? I want to love this game again.
Thanks for any advice.
P.S. am I crazy or is JP's mechanics WAY louder than Zilla? Seems like the flippers, bumpers, and slign mechanics are way louder than Zilla.

As others have said, we'd need more info on HOW the ramp is being missed in order to really give you solid ideas.. If its a power issue, then definitely +1 for the coil stop replacement - this should be done day 1 on Sterns in my opinion.

Secondly, as for your flipper control/transfers, I have found the normal Titans to be WAY too bouncy and I always buy their 'low bounce' rubber on the flippers. If thats not the version you went with, you should swap that out immediately.

8 months later
#20597 3 months ago
Quoted from sherpahigh:

Thanks so much for the quick replies! Looking into the parts order now.

I'd put in new sleeves too

#20600 3 months ago
Quoted from sherpahigh:

Thanks! I found it on the right flipper assembly and noticed that the plastic piece has a lot of black build up on it. Is that normal or a sign of more problems to come?
The left flipper assembly has some black colouring as well but not as much.
[quoted image]

Totally normal…especially if you play it a ton… and considering the junk stops Stern uses.

As stated above. Change the coil stops, sleeves and the EOS switch. I would just go ahead and order for both sides (at least the coil stop and sleeve ) if you are ordering parts.

2 weeks later
#20733 86 days ago
Quoted from sherpahigh:

That’s what caught my attention right away and was the first thing I dealt with today when I got a chance to look at it again. Now that they’re tight again though the problem still remains as seen in the video below.
Going to go do some research now but I’m new to troubleshooting pinball issues so if it’s obvious to those with more experience I’m all ears and happy to learn.
Bad coil?

I took the coil stop off to get a better look at things. The coil sleeve seemed to have a little bend in the lip but after reassembly the resistance was gone and the flipper moved easily again.

Tested it with a quick game and it seems to be back to normal. I must not have tightened the bolts enough after I rebuilt the flippers a couple of weeks ago and the shaker motor in this is definitely aggressive. Maybe I’ll try a little locktite on them.

2 months later
#21272 4 days ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

Thanks for the suggestions-I saw some discussion around this around the auto launch, but for the left flipper, what do most people have that set at? Mine's at 255 (which I think is the default), but I can try lowering it and seeing what happens.

I believe I have mine set at 255 as well, but the "best" flipper power from game to game can vary due to playfield angle and other small factors.

Another thing to check could be your coil stop on that flipper. Make sure it is intact and not caved in...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aldie, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "Coil stop".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park?tq=Coil+stop&tu= and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.