(Topic ID: 248582)

Jurassic Park (Stern 2019 & 30th) Owners Club. Welcome! To Jurassic park.....

By CoolCatPinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21,175 posts
  • 1,406 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by MiniPinHead
  • Topic is favorited by 761 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6528 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6527 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6519-ezgif.com-optimize.gif
IMG_6513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6509 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6508 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6507 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6521 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6511 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5725 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0818 (resized).JPG
IMG_0820 (resized).JPG
IMG_0819 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 21,175 posts in this topic. You are on page 257 of 424.
#12801 2 years ago

Wonder if anyone else has had this particular issue:

I own a premium and a pro (two different locations).

On my pro, the left ramp shot (T Rex ramp) does not register if the ball enters the ramp at a high velocity.

The opto switch registers 100% when tested by rolling a ball past it. But if a ball is sent past it rapidly it does not always register.

I have cleaned the switch. Unplugged and repluged all the connections from the switch to the board. I have mechanically altered the angle of the transmitter switch slightly up and down and none of these maneuvers have changed the results. Again, it only fails to register when the ball passes at a high velocity.

I took the two plastic spacers off the back of the ramp that support the roof over the ramp, and lowered that roof all the way down to prevent the ball obtaining any air when it makes the circle behind the playfield. That helped about 50%. Then, I turn down the power on the right flipper, and now the switch registers about 90% of the time. Again, the only time it doesn’t register is a really hard shot from the right flipper that travels rapidly through the ramp.

Never had this problem on my premium model.

Any suggestions?

#12802 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Thanks for that. I had never seen the Stern ones installed so that helps.
The one thing I don't really like about the Stern ones is the scale of them. It's like zoomed in on the Raptors head and just feels a bit out of place in the grand scheme of the scale of everything else on the graphics and in the pin. But it is also cool because it's kind of like the Raptors are watching you and reminds of the scene where the "clever girl" gets her kill.
I like how the tilt ones, at least on the left side, the wires almost play perfectly into the wires on the T-Rex fence that are broken. I also like all the foliage on them and think it blends in nicely with the overall theme.
dacdjsteve do you have a pic of those installed on a machine? They do look pretty cool but that stock photo probably is photoshopped and it's pretty blurry once you zoom in.

Whats hard to see in the pictures of the stern blades is the reflection of the roaring T-rex in the eyeball of the raptor.
I didn't know it was there until I saw a set in person at expo a couple years ago.

#12803 2 years ago

Plain ol' mirror blades look great too. They kinda brighten it up a little.

#12804 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Plain ol' mirror blades look great too. They kinda brighten it up a little.

I would be interested in seeing pics of those as well if you got them installed.

#12805 2 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

Wonder if anyone else has had this particular issue:
I own a premium and a pro (two different locations).
On my pro, the left ramp shot (T Rex ramp) does not register if the ball enters the ramp at a high velocity.
The opto switch registers 100% when tested by rolling a ball past it. But if a ball is sent past it rapidly it does not always register.
I have cleaned the switch. Unplugged and repluged all the connections from the switch to the board. I have mechanically altered the angle of the transmitter switch slightly up and down and none of these maneuvers have changed the results. Again, it only fails to register when the ball passes at a high velocity.
I took the two plastic spacers off the back of the ramp that support the roof over the ramp, and lowered that roof all the way down to prevent the ball obtaining any air when it makes the circle behind the playfield. That helped about 50%. Then, I turn down the power on the right flipper, and now the switch registers about 90% of the time. Again, the only time it doesn’t register is a really hard shot from the right flipper that travels rapidly through the ramp.
Never had this problem on my premium model.
Any suggestions?

You could try a bit of black tape over the lower half of the opto hole if the ball still has some air even after lowering the roof plastic. Also people have had success taping around the hole and drilling the hole in the ramp slightly larger - I suspect that there might be some refraction occurring on the edge of the hole and hence why these different approaches have worked.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/212#post-6309369
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/186#post-6089559

#12806 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Why do people give a shit what their shooter lane looks like?
I mean, when i see a nice one I am like, FUCK no one played this game.
Play your games people. DONT PUT GRANDMAS PLASTIC FURNITURE PROTECTORS ON EVERYTHING.

That is the beauty of this hobby, there is something for everyone.

WHEN IT IS YOUR GAME YOU CAN DO WHAT EVER THE FUCK YOU WANT TO IT.

I do not give a shit on what you think I should be doing with my games. Our shooter lanes are all perfect and fitted with Cliffys. If they are flogged out out, I fix them and fit Cliffys. Does not mean game has not been played.

That is what I like to do so I am going to keep doing it.

#12807 2 years ago

Hi Fellow JP Owners!

We always brag about our highest scores, but what has been your lowest score on a legit game? You know that game where nothing went your way. Well, I just scored a whopping 2,408,780!

I bricked my 'C' and Helipad shots into the outlanes, activated T-REX MB but made it half way up the left ramp where it rolled back down into the drain, and then hit the Supply Drop just right to have it drain.

Good times! Love this game!!! (for real...that wasn't sarcasm)

#12808 2 years ago

I've had a ball 1 below 100G many times.

#12809 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

If you get a chance over the next couple days can you snap some pics of those installed? I hadn't seen those installed before and I'm not in a super rush or anything. They look nice from those pics and are similar in color to the Wizard ones.

I went with the RetroRefurbs on my premium too. Here are photos.

392067F6-3DA1-467A-89C9-F12B720A475D (resized).jpeg392067F6-3DA1-467A-89C9-F12B720A475D (resized).jpeg85596B05-61F4-4896-9EB7-C03BE525039E (resized).jpeg85596B05-61F4-4896-9EB7-C03BE525039E (resized).jpeg8EB543B8-F1BF-4198-8928-F2AC79DFC783 (resized).jpeg8EB543B8-F1BF-4198-8928-F2AC79DFC783 (resized).jpeg
#12810 2 years ago

Bought these from tilt graphics. I like them because they match the art in the back of the game pretty well.

7021E0FB-CB01-41BA-88C0-4A288E89A932 (resized).jpeg7021E0FB-CB01-41BA-88C0-4A288E89A932 (resized).jpeg7C4F4665-CCB4-4593-8E8F-2E14EAD6768E (resized).jpeg7C4F4665-CCB4-4593-8E8F-2E14EAD6768E (resized).jpegA60D723D-0B2E-471F-8046-BE0AC23B0CAA (resized).jpegA60D723D-0B2E-471F-8046-BE0AC23B0CAA (resized).jpeg
#12811 2 years ago

Thanks for all of the side blade pics guys it really helps. I did not even know there were so many.

I think after seeing them all my favorites are the Wizmod ones, followed by the Tilt ones with the fence.

I still wouldn't mind seeing a mirror blade one but it seems hard to really get the effect of them in pics. I haven't seen one of JP really other than one that was not lit very well, but even if it's lit well it seems kind of hard to get the effect across a bit in a pic.

#12812 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Thanks for all of the side blade pics guys it really helps. I did not even know there were so many.
I think after seeing them all my favorites are the Wizmod ones, followed by the Tilt ones with the fence.
I still wouldn't mind seeing a mirror blade one but it seems hard to really get the effect of them in pics. I haven't seen one of JP really other than one that was not lit very well, but even if it's lit well it seems kind of hard to get the effect across a bit in a pic.

It's tough to get a good pic of how they look in person. These look kinda dark, but best I could get .

IMG_20220106_202333787 (resized).jpgIMG_20220106_202333787 (resized).jpgIMG_20220106_202343621 (resized).jpgIMG_20220106_202343621 (resized).jpgIMG_20220106_202401625 (resized).jpgIMG_20220106_202401625 (resized).jpgIMG_20220106_202406050 (resized).jpgIMG_20220106_202406050 (resized).jpg
#12813 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It's tough to get a good pic of how they look in person. These look kinda dark, but best I could get .
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is that Metallica....on JP...? hard to see

#12814 2 years ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

Is that Metallica....on JP...? hard to see

Metallica is the next game over

#12815 2 years ago

yzfguy thanks for the pics. And yeah it almost looked like it blended into the pin next to it lol.

Are the mirror ones just like a standard Stern sized mirror blade? Like things you can just find anywhere?

#12816 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

yzfguy thanks for the pics. And yeah it almost looked like it blended into the pin next to it lol.
Are the mirror ones just like a standard Stern sized mirror blade? Like things you can just find anywhere?

Yes, generic stern blades. These were on the game when I got it, but I've gotten them from cointaker in the past.

#12817 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Metallica is the next game over

I see it now... duh

#12818 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

You could try a bit of black tape over the lower half of the opto hole if the ball still has some air even after lowering the roof plastic. Also people have had success taping around the hole and drilling the hole in the ramp slightly larger - I suspect that there might be some refraction occurring on the edge of the hole and hence why these different approaches have worked.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/212#post-6309369
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/186#post-6089559

These instructions are very helpful. Thank you. Makes sense now that I see that many other pro owners have had this problem.

#12819 2 years ago

Ok hear me out. Would it be possible to replace the spinner with an opto spinner? Ad if so do you think it would be too OP in the grand scheme of the game? (Large super spinner rips and easy huge pteradon values) Or would it not make that big of a difference? I have been wondering this ever since I ripped the beatles spinners and it just felt oh so good.

#12820 2 years ago
Quoted from Grayont:

Ok hear me out. Would it be possible to replace the spinner with an opto spinner? Ad if so do you think it would be too OP in the grand scheme of the game? (Large super spinner rips and easy huge pteradon values) Or would it not make that big of a difference? I have been wondering this ever since I ripped the beatles spinners and it just felt oh so good.

Optos are powered, so it'd need a opto board to drive it.

Pteranodon can be targeted for huge scores (IIRC there was a post of someone scoring 5B by doing this), so an opto spinner could dramatically change the scoring balance. That said I've read where people adjust spinners to reduce the resistance so that might be an easier change

#12821 2 years ago

Anyone know where to buy the JP home translite?

#12822 2 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

The Stern part # is 830-1039-M4 (from the JP Home manual) - a distributor could order it for you

It does look pretty cool

JP Home Translite (resized).jpgJP Home Translite (resized).jpg
#12823 2 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Take a look at the retrorefurbs hand drawn JP translites. The have the blue and orange versions. Pretty nice if you are swapping translites and the people in the movie need to come to life…

#12824 2 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

I second the Retrorefurb translite.

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop-cat/pinball-translites/

0067CF3A-6FDC-4684-8545-73CC9D24B7E0 (resized).jpeg0067CF3A-6FDC-4684-8545-73CC9D24B7E0 (resized).jpeg
#12825 2 years ago

Anyone else have this heli mod from Mezel?

https://mezelmods.com/collections/jurassic-park-pinball-stern/products/jurassic-park-pinball-helicopter-blades?variant=39592464089185

My ball gets stuck on that crap sometimes and it seems to be happening more and more recently, to the point I am about to just remove it because it is super annoying when it happens. Usually I have to nudge the shit out of my machine for it to get unstuck and it finally gets un stuck. It's like the ball gets pinned between the bottom of the nail that makes it move.

It sucks because when it works (90% of the time) it is just a neat little effect of spinning but getting stuck is annoying as hell.

Wondering if this happens to anyone else and/or if they fixed it somehow.

#12826 2 years ago
Quoted from Grayont:

Quoted from Manny65:

Optos are powered, so it'd need a opto board to drive it.
Pteranodon can be targeted for huge scores (IIRC there was a post of someone scoring 5B by doing this), so an opto spinner could dramatically change the scoring balance. That said I've read where people adjust spinners to reduce the resistance so that might be an easier change

I sprayed a bit of tri flow into a q tip and barely rubbed the tip onto the spinner connection points to clean. SOOOOO SATISFYING mechanically to hit the spinner and see it whizzz.

#12827 2 years ago

Wondering if anyone has any ideas. For the life of me, i can't seem to get the spitter spinner working correctly/smoothly on my pro. It seems to never rest in the proper position. And it surely doesn't spin well. It also doesn't register well. Probably due to crappy spins? Anyone else with similiar downfalls with this?

#12828 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

I sprayed a bit of tri flow into a q tip and barely rubbed the tip onto the spinner connection points to clean. SOOOOO SATISFYING mechanically to hit the spinner and see it whizzz.

I put a tiny bit of Superlube on both sides of the spinner and the arm that contacts the switch lever - all my pins.

Buttery

#12829 2 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Wondering if anyone has any ideas. For the life of me, i can't seem to get the spitter spinner working correctly/smoothly on my pro. It seems to never rest in the proper position. And it surely doesn't spin well. It also doesn't register well. Probably due to crappy spins? Anyone else with similiar downfalls with this?

Maybe post some close up pics to see if we can spot anything different or wrong with yours?

#12830 2 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Search "spinner" in the forum and there are a lot of posts about different issues and solutions with the spinner:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park?tq=spinner&tu=

Here's one that someone posted and there are a couple good responses below it. Might be worth checking the wire alignment on yours.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/94#post-5592241

#12831 2 years ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

So, who judges when it`s sliding?

I enjoy your tutorial videos Abe, I've played pinball for 40yrs and been a home collector for 10yrs and still enjoy learning skills from other players.

Your latest nudging video is great, you confirmed what I said a couple of pages back that sliding the pinball is "cheating a bit"

Awesome

So after those few posts I have been practicing pushing the game to flex the legs to stop a SDTM without tilting, previously I just did slap saves (smaller flex). It is going ok and sometimes it is working for me and I realise on these modern pins it is the only way to progress on them.

I still won't be able to play that way on my friends machines though.

#12832 2 years ago

Yesterday I got my Titan rubbers and installed like 1/3 of them and had a couple of questions about it.

1. I got green and orange and some of my green ones, when stretched out to fit around their posts, turned white on part of the rubber. This happened to one of the flipper rubbers and one of the other larger ones. This did not happen to any of the orange ones I have. Is this normal or should I contact them about it?

2. My left slingshot is randomly firing now, like the new rubber is too tight or something and triggering the slingshot. Visually looking at it, it does look like one of the switches is bent back more than the other so I'm assuming that one is triggering it. Is this something I can adjust easily or is it going to "settle in" and stop doing it?

#12833 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

2. My left slingshot is randomly firing now, like the new rubber is too tight or something and triggering the slingshot. Visually looking at it, it does look like one of the switches is bent back more than the other so I'm assuming that one is triggering it. Is this something I can adjust easily or is it going to "settle in" and stop doing it?

Titans are always too tight for slings imo. You’re going to have to adjust the leaf switches or go 1/4” bigger on the sling rings.

My personal preference is regular white rubber on slings and natural rubber on flippers.

#12834 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Yesterday I got my Titan rubbers and installed like 1/3 of them and had a couple of questions about it.
1. I got green and orange and some of my green ones, when stretched out to fit around their posts, turned white on part of the rubber. This happened to one of the flipper rubbers and one of the other larger ones. This did not happen to any of the orange ones I have. Is this normal or should I contact them about it?

1. Step up a size. Not sure why the flipper rubbers are doing it. Contact Titan.

2. Adjust the switch. Also, use 2-1/2 sized rings on modern sterns. Titans are a bit tighter than stock. They will last longer too.

#12835 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

1. Step up a size. Not sure why the flipper rubbers are doing it. Contact Titan.
2. Adjust the switch. Also, use 2-1/2 sized rings on modern sterns. Titans are a bit tighter than stock. They will last longer too.

1. I just ordered the "low bounce flipper rubber" from them so there is no specific size that I chose. I really can't notice the white "stretch" part on the flipper since it's on the top right flipper and it's right at the tip, against the post. However the other one is noticeable. I'll take a pic and send it to them and see what they say.

2. I did use a 2.5" size for the slingshots so I'll look at how to adjust the leaf switch. I've never done that but assuming it's pretty simple.

#12836 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

1. I just ordered the "low bounce flipper rubber" from them so there is no specific size that I chose. I really can't notice the white "stretch" part on the flipper since it's on the top right flipper and it's right at the tip, against the post. However the other one is noticeable. I'll take a pic and send it to them and see what they say.
2. I did use a 2.5" size for the slingshots so I'll look at how to adjust the leaf switch. I've never done that but assuming it's pretty simple.

Yep. Bend the switch blade away from the other one. Do it at the base of the blade with this:

https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

#12837 2 years ago

Oh damn i need a special tool for it?

EDIT:

Just watched a video of how to adjust them and yeah I can see why that tool makes it much simpler.

#12838 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Oh damn i need a special tool for it?
EDIT:
Just watched a video of how to adjust them and yeah I can see why that tool makes it much simpler.

A tool is not required as I've done it by hand numerous times. However, The tool probably makes it simpler/more accurate, so wouldn't hurt to add it to your next order.

As far as the stretching goes, if you do over stretch you may get the whitening on the silicone (e.g. Titan) rings/bands. I've done this a couple of times on rings, but never on flipper bands (I've installed/uninstalled probably 30+ flipper bands and 5 sets of rings, so not a huge sampling on my part). I typically put the band over the small tip of the bat, then stretch over the fat end. Also, all three of my pins (8 flippers) all have the low bounce (thin) bands on them. For the rings, I pre-stretch and when installing try to apply equal tension throughout the ring when installing, and do my best not to roll/twist them during install.

#12839 2 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

...Your latest nudging video is great, you confirmed what I said a couple of pages back that sliding the pinball is "cheating a bit"...

no way ! and i see absolutly no cheat in the video (the first few seconds), this is simply easy skill while just playing pinball... again, the tilt bob is the only judge

not sure who is ABE (his real name i mean), and surelly he must also be a tournament player, than i didnt understand him here

#12840 2 years ago

Question about taking the big left wire ramp off...

After unscrewing the 3 obvious screws that are holding it in place, does it just slide right out of the tower? I took the top off of the tower and I see the 2 metal wires that are right up against the half pipe, and it looks like it can slide out but it is in there super tight. I didn't want to force it out though in case there is something else I am missing.

(replacing the rubbers is quite a bit more of a task than I initially thought lol - fun though taking apart stuff and seeing how it all goes together)

#12841 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Maybe post some close up pics to see if we can spot anything different or wrong with yours?

This is how it sits. Which is no bueno.

20220109_151159 (resized).jpg20220109_151159 (resized).jpg
#12842 2 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

This is how it sits. Which is no bueno. [quoted image]

Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the spinner arm is trapped under the switch lever. Should be on top of the lever I believe.

#12843 2 years ago

I think the spinner is hanging that way because of gravity. The switch is in the proper spot. I'll try to manipulate how the actual spinner is hanging.

#12844 2 years ago

Got it working better. Had to microadjust/bend the spinner arms little by little to find a sweeter spot.
Thanks all for your insite.

#12845 2 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

no way ! and i see absolutly no cheat in the video (the first few seconds), this is simply easy skill while just playing pinball... again, the tilt bob is the only judge
not sure who is ABE (his real name i mean), and surelly he must also be a tournament player, than i didnt understand him here

Amateur's question...in a competition ...if you slide the machine...is that ok...

#12846 2 years ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

Amateur's question...in a competition ...if you slide the machine...is that ok...

of course it is !
that's right what Rat didnt seem to understand (friendly said of course)
the tilt bolb is there for a good reason, and than in a tournament with "good" players, it has to be set sensitive

#12847 2 years ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

100%, if it doesn't tilt, you're good to go. Bang backs and death saves are illegal, almost everything else is fair game... if you can get away with it and not tilt, that is.

#12848 2 years ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

Depends on what the rules are of that particular event, but I’ve never seen an event where sliding was illegal. Generally those are okay, and things like death saves and bang backs are not legal.

#12849 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Anyone else have this heli mod from Mezel?
https://mezelmods.com/collections/jurassic-park-pinball-stern/products/jurassic-park-pinball-helicopter-blades?variant=39592464089185
My ball gets stuck on that crap sometimes and it seems to be happening more and more recently, to the point I am about to just remove it because it is super annoying when it happens. Usually I have to nudge the shit out of my machine for it to get unstuck and it finally gets un stuck. It's like the ball gets pinned between the bottom of the nail that makes it move.
It sucks because when it works (90% of the time) it is just a neat little effect of spinning but getting stuck is annoying as hell.
Wondering if this happens to anyone else and/or if they fixed it somehow.

I have that mod, and I've never had a ball get stuck there in hundreds of games. Long shot, but maybe take it off and clean it?

Weird.

#12850 2 years ago

Back to the strategy talk, I do pretty well just using basic stacking tactics. Always have a paddock going and stack modes on top, playing a mode without a paddock also going is a tactical error I think. I also try to go for the EB that is based on combos, it's worth learning all the combos so you can go for the one that best suits the relevant shots for whatever you are trying to accomplish at a given moment. The T-Rex extra ball is not as hard as it seems. I have been selecting +5 rescues for first smart missile as recommended by someone else on the thread and this has led to my best games because you can get two extra balls very quickly. Finally I always try to deposit the first ball in T-Rex multiball into the pops to give me time/clearance to shoot C and start the jackpot stack. Once you hit the C you are well on your way to a good stack, particularly if you locked in a good base jackpot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
There are 21,175 posts in this topic. You are on page 257 of 424.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/257 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.