(Topic ID: 248582)

Jurassic Park (Stern 2019 & 30th) Owners Club. Welcome! To Jurassic park.....

By CoolCatPinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21,175 posts
  • 1,406 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 hours ago by MiniPinHead
  • Topic is favorited by 761 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6528 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6527 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6519-ezgif.com-optimize.gif
IMG_6513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6509 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6508 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6507 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6521 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6511 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5725 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0818 (resized).JPG
IMG_0820 (resized).JPG
IMG_0819 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 21,175 posts in this topic. You are on page 196 of 424.
#9751 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Got my Jurassic Pro setup this evening. Already ordered the T-Rex Alive mod and should have that in 3 weeks and Stern sideblades in a few days. Game came with the custom movie code and my wife and I played the first 5, two-player games, on that custom code.
The I popped in the original SD card and we played a game and my wife and I were blown away how awesome the game is. The movie code doesn't match anything going on in the game except the opening scene and is BORING AF to play.
Card has 1.03 on it, will need to check if there's a newer update, but man, I get doing a movie code. But just because it can be done, doesn't mean it's fun to play. My wife was ready to write this game off and wanted BKSOR Premium back, until I popped in the original code.

If you felt it was "BORING AF" you're likely not a JP movie franchise fan and/or you didn't give it time.
To each their own but all in caps? It BORED you that much? Lol.

Quoted from PoMC:

Traded for it and it had the card included. I was going to try it out myself anyway, just saved me the time. Enjoy what you want, but this does not improve the game at all and in fact makes it non-sensical.

Video and audio clips from the movie have been meticulously chosen and crafted to fit each mode, callout, etc. Each decision has most definitely been the absolute opposite of "non-sensical." Read the forum topic and watch the movie. Compare what you hear and see in the stock code animations to the movie clips and callouts replaced which the stock intended to mimic.

Regardlesss, I'm glad you uninstalled it because whoever sold you the machine with it included broke the rules. You're supposed to have the stock code anyway so it all worked out for the best!

#9752 3 years ago
Quoted from palmab03:

How do you get a 6 Combo? As I feel like I've done it a few times but don't get credit for it, is there any rules like you can't get the left ramp 2 times or something?

Definitely you can't hit the same shot twice in a combo.

If you do Spinner > Upper loop > Tower ramp > Helipad ramp > Left ramp > Right ramp you'll not only get a wildcard fossil for the 6-way combo but also get the Spinosaurus DNA Combo as well.

#9753 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Traded for it and it had the card included. I was going to try it out myself anyway, just saved me the time. Enjoy what you want, but this does not improve the game at all and in fact makes it non-sensical.

For the record I'm with you on this one PoMC, so I guess the minority is not THAT small! The custom audio is nice and represents the movie well, but just feels Janky with the pin. I like it how the JP Stern is its own story any you get to play through that narrative, pasting the movie quotes in doesn't work for me.

But like my mum used to say "if we all liked the same thing the world would be a pretty boring place!", enjoy your pins your way champions and keep on flippin'!

#9754 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

If you felt it was "BORING AF" you're likely not a JP movie franchise fan and/or you didn't give it time.
To each their own but all in caps? It BORED you that much? Lol.

Video and audio clips from the movie have been meticulously chosen and crafted to fit each mode, callout, etc. Each decision has most definitely been the absolute opposite of "non-sensical." Read the forum topic and watch the movie. Compare what you hear and see in the stock code animations to the movie clips and callouts replaced which the stock intended to mimic.
Regardlesss, I'm glad you uninstalled it because whoever sold you the machine with it included broke the rules. You're supposed to have the stock code anyway so it all worked out for the best!

I still REALLY love to play it with your sounds and video EVERY day!! The best!

#9755 3 years ago
Quoted from Andy_Chapman:

For the record I'm with you on this one PoMC, so I guess the minority is not THAT small! The custom audio is nice and represents the movie well, but just feels Janky with the pin. I like it how the JP Stern is its own story any you get to play through that narrative, pasting the movie quotes in doesn't work for me.
But like my mum used to say "if we all liked the same thing the world would be a pretty boring place!", enjoy your pins your way champions and keep on flippin'!

Like I said before, to each their own but you're many versions behind. Calling out the work as "janky" (in reference to some outdated version) is inaccurate and disrespectful at best.

#9756 3 years ago

Mine has the latest movie version, and you can swap, never felt the urge to swap back to the original. The movie scenes and call outs are so much extra. You get dragged in that movie immediately. The call outs are just great.....where is Nedry....check the vending machines Go watch JP the original movie and you will see so much that is in the code. Still awesome. And in my code the events on the screen are in perfect sync with the events you play. TRex multiball, raise the gate, even the end sequence with amber and mr DNA. All perfect.

#9757 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Mine has the latest movie version, and you can swap, never felt the urge to swap back to the original. The movie scenes and call outs are so much extra. You get dragged in that movie immediately. The call outs are just great.....where is Nedry....check the vending machines Go watch JP the original movie and you will see so much that is in the code. Still awesome. And in my code the events on the screen are in perfect sync with the events you play. TRex multiball, raise the gate, even the end sequence with amber and mr DNA. All perfect.

^ This ^

#9758 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Regardlesss, I'm glad you uninstalled it because whoever sold you the machine with it included broke the rules. You're supposed to have the stock code anyway so it all worked out for the best

Broke the rules? LOL What rules?

No need to be defensive. I don’t like it and don’t think it fits my Pinball experience. Big deal. You’re not selling it right? So I’m not possibly losing you any sales. You also didn’t create the movie or the music, so further perplexed why you’d be defensive on something you didn’t even create. You copied and pasted bits of someone else’s work into the pinball machine.

I’ve made custom code and soundtracks for games and if I share the code I don’t give a shit if anyone likes it, uses it or not.

#9759 3 years ago

Isn't Pinside wonderful?

#9760 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Isn't Pinside wonderful?

A new pinball machine is released. Pinsiders nitpick and tear apart the gameplay, artwork, rules, designer, lightshow.

A pinsider makes a mod based on already created IP. Another person critiques it and the pinsider instantly is defensive and oppositional.

#9761 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

An update on my 3D printed JP Speaker grills. Wife's been painting them today, and wasn't done when I snapped a couple of pictures. Couldn't resist.
Still needs some touchup between the speaker grill and the T-Rex body, and few other areas finished.
Just used the crappy camera in the tablet, so not the best photos
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks Awesome cant wait to get mine painted. Thanks for the help

#9762 3 years ago

Had to chime in here PoMC . Tim put at least 1000 hrs of his own time into this project and even if I didn't care for it I wouldn't leave a comment here. It was offered for free and that deserves a compliment just for that and not a negative comment. Show a little respect here. BTW Thanks Tim love this code and makes the game 100 percent better. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion but if you don't have something nice to say then don't say it all and opinions are like A-holes everybody has one.

#9763 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

A new pinball machine is released. Pinsiders nitpick and tear apart the gameplay, artwork, rules, designer, lightshow.
A pinsider makes a mod based on already created IP. Another person critiques it and the pinsider instantly is defensive and oppositional.

Maybe you should catch up with some reads in this thread and other JP threads. The guy just happened to got over 500 hours in getting the video and music in sync. Numerous hours of getting it right, numerous requests from people to add this and that and all are granted. So I understand that he is a bit defensive of his project. And yes there are some rules to the usage. Especially after the new EULA from Stern. This for all to keep these projects going and enjoy the results. No attack this, just saying...there are always 2 sides to a story.

#9764 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

It’s clear you live near Pleasantville

#9765 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I hate to be Miss Manners here, but after all the work that was put into this, consider these two options as to how your opinion might have been shared with somebody that was clearly passionate about his work:

1. "It wasn't really for me."
2. "It was BORING AF."

That's my problem with your post. It's one thing to criticize an entire company's product, but going after a guy who's spent countless hours trying to improve a game is unnecessary.

I, for one, think it's awesome. I only miss the T-Rex Multiball callout. But I can live without it.

#9766 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Maybe you should catch up with some reads in this thread and other JP threads. The guy just happened to got over 500 hours in getting the video and music in sync. Numerous hours of getting it right, numerous requests from people to add this and that and all are granted. So I understand that he is a bit defensive of his project. And yes there are some rules to the usage. Especially after the new EULA from Stern. This for all to keep these projects going and enjoy the results. No attack this, just saying...there are always 2 sides to a story.

Yep and I’ve put in hundreds and hundreds of hours on my Aerosmith code to add live music video and make the game like Led Zeppelin and guns and roses.

I didn’t go into a thread That is dedicated to that project. I am a new owner of the game and I’m in the owners club and I’m reporting on my experience of owning this new game in my house.

Big deal.

I find it very amusing health Pinsiders can dish out criticism all fucking day and night long on this site. But someone has something to say about what they did and break out the pitchforks and the mob.

#9767 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Like I said before, to each their own but you're many versions behind. Calling out the work as "janky" (in reference to some outdated version) is inaccurate and disrespectful at best.

Don’t listen to this guy. He’s obviously trying to get under your skin.

#9768 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yep and I’ve put in hundreds and hundreds of hours on my Aerosmith code to add live music video and make the game like Led Zeppelin and guns and roses.
I didn’t go into a thread That is dedicated to that project. I am a new owner of the game and I’m in the owners club and I’m reporting on my experience of owning this new game in my house.
Big deal.
I find it very amusing health Pinsiders can dish out criticism all fucking day and night long on this site. But someone has something to say about what they did and break out the pitchforks and the mob.

I almost always agree with your opinions, so realize that I'm a guy that's almost always in your camp. You ARE entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. Again...it's just how you went about it when criticizing the work of one person in an attempt to make a game better. I think everybody here can agree with that.

#9769 3 years ago

Hey, awesome news for me. I won a pinball Waffle last night for my choice of Stern side armor! New set of Jurassic Park armor on the way. Also have Stern art blades and the T-Rex Alive mod in the mail. Can't wait to make that T-Rex move. Also need to paint the T-Rex to give it some definition. Looks like a clay blob or boulder (hope I don't offend the Stern employee who made it).

#9770 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I almost always agree with your opinions, so realize that I'm a guy that's almost always in your camp. You ARE entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. Again...it's just how you went about it when criticizing the work of one person in an attempt to make a game better. I think everybody here can agree with that.

While PoMC was abrupt and showed no tact in his comment, once again Tim took it way too personally and the ensuing mob attitude certainly got weird. Some months ago I also made comments about not feeling it because of quotes that while they are classic and funny in the movie, have no bearing on the adventure you are following and playing under the glass. I also got shit on by a mob. So while he has an abrasive way of communicating his opinion, I'm pretty sure the mob would have shit on him even if he had politely said it wasn't for him. The amount of work really has no bearing on personal taste of people. This is the owner's club thread. Not Tim's custom audio thread. Folks should be allowed to have an opinion!

With all the hubbub I decided to re-install the official code last night just to see the difference - been so long that I've had Tim's code. You know what? The game is awesome anyway. I also did appreciate getting callouts telling me what's next even though I know the game. I can certainly get what PoMC is getting at.

I will probably go back to Tim's code on the weekend but in the end it doesn't matter. JP is a great game either way.

Keep calm and play some pinball!

#9771 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Hey, awesome news for me. I won a pinball Waffle last night for my choice of Stern side armor! New set of Jurassic Park armor on the way. Also have Stern art blades and the T-Rex Alive mod in the mail. Can't wait to make that T-Rex move. Also need to paint the T-Rex to give it some definition. Looks like a clay blob or boulder (hope I don't offend the Stern employee who made it).

There's a T-Rex re-skin mod that looks super real. I think by Lior but it may be sold out.

#9772 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

While PoMC was abrupt and showed no tact in his comment, once again Tim took it way too personally and the ensuing mob attitude certainly got weird. Some months ago I also made comments about not feeling it because of quotes that while they are classic and funny in the movie, have no bearing on the adventure you are following and playing under the glass. I also got shit on by a mob. So while he has an abrasive way of communicating his opinion, I'm pretty sure the mob would have shit on him even if he had politely said it wasn't for him. The amount of work really has no bearing on personal taste of people. This is the owner's club thread. Not Tim's custom audio thread. Folks should be allowed to have an opinion!
With all the hubbub I decided to re-install the official code last night just to see the difference - been so long that I've had Tim's code. You know what? The game is awesome anyway. I also did appreciate getting callouts telling me what's next even though I know the game. I can certainly get what pomc is getting at.
I will probably go back to Tim's code on the weekend but in the end it doesn't matter. JP is a great game either way.
Keep calm and play some pinball!

Completely agree. As I said...there are some things I miss from the original code and thought it was great as is. But I think the tradeoff is well worth getting the original assets.

#9773 3 years ago

I’m in the minority here in that I think of Jurassic Park as a book and story first and not a movie. Like Elwin said, jurassic Park the pinball machine is the story about the employees that you know were present to make the park work, but weren’t part of the movie in anyway. The pinball machine is their story.

While I applaud the effort to add the movie assets, the original Stern’s version call outs and animations are better. TRex multiball call out and that funky little music track that makes me dance is enough for me to keep the original. And I grew to dislike looking at Laura Dern through the sunroof and “is he going to eat the goat”. Cute. Nice touch. But the modern animations with park workers getting killed while being labeled as unsuccessful rescues is awesome. T. rex chase gear shifting. Awesome.

#9774 3 years ago

I requested and donated to Tim for his software before I ever got my JP Prem. The first games I played on it were with his version. In general I'm *meh* on Jurassic Park as a theme, and I have no nostalgia with the movie. But, think the game itself is amazing. I applaud and am grateful for all the work Tim (and Delt) put into this effort. I'd love to see it on more games. But when I went back and tried out the original code, to see what it was "supposed" to be, I really enjoyed that version as well.

Because I have no emotional ties to the movie, I actually gravitate toward the original code more. It feels more cohesive with the story and look; everything is the same art style and all the intended callouts are there. Plus, some of the extra ball and multiball animations are pretty sweet. But Tim's version gives a different vibe that I still enjoy. For people who love nerding out over the movie, his version is amazing.

The only disappointing thing to me is that this amount of effort went into replacing something that (to me) is already pretty awesome. There are other games (I hear AIQ) where the callouts and visuals actually take away from the game. In an ideal world, this type of effort would have gone to fixing games that were already lacking. That said, there isn't nearly as much passion and nostalgia around a license like Avengers as there is with JP, so I get it, and applaud what it means to so many fans of the game.

For me, I plan to periodically swap back and forth between versions, because I feel like they both bring something to the table, even for a non-JP fan like me.

#9775 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yeah that side armor is weak IMO

#9776 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Unfortunate Update: After maybe 10-20 plays at best I opened the glass to check something else. To my utter dismay I found that the brand new "flyball" protector plastic from Ulek had already cracked at 2 of the 3 mounting points (pics attached). When I installed it I was very careful, only tightening these screws just enough, not too much and using washers. The cracks happened during minimal gameplay.
I reached out to Ulek and they said that the plastic they use is the exact same as stock Stern and that it can happen from 1 ball or 100 balls, basically at any given time. It's too bad that this afterthought of the assembly is what it is today. In my uneducated opinion, the most often root cause of cracking is that if you have the "spacers" removed like I do (as recommended by Stern), it requires the plastic to bend more than it should "naturally" and stresses against the mounts. However, even with the spacers included it still has to bend, just a bit less. This puts a lot of stress on all screw points in either configuration. Therefore, no matter what, this plastic is going to eventually crack and/or one's opto bracket is going to break. I think Stern needs to come up with a better solution.
I'm curious if any later model PREM/PROs have had any parts/assembly improvement in this area. If so, please share!
[quoted image]

One possible solution to this is to heat bend the plastic to shape before installing. Using a hair dryer or heat gun on low setting (or torch if you know what you are doing) you can soften and shape the plastic (PET).

#9777 3 years ago

Random Pinside Poster: "Here's a modification I'm providing as an option for others to utilize, with no obligation to do so whatsoever. I've done my best, but I still realize it won't be for everyone."
Response: "I don't like it, and because I don't like it that must mean it sucks. Because I think it sucks, I'm going to make sure everyone knows I think it sucks. Also, anyone else who doesn't think it sucks, well, they suck too!"

#9778 3 years ago
Quoted from Kidkoffee:

Good question. I quick searched it and can’t find one anywhere. Maybe somebody else will chime in here. I’d make sure the 4-pin connector on the board itself and the 10-pin connector on the big board to the left of it are seated properly and not skipping a pin. Make sure a wire hasn’t slipped out or got loose at one of the connectors too. Maybe try playing with the positioning of the fan? Other than that, I’d contact Stern support and go from there.

Well this is strange. With the pf up, I can get the opto to register the switch, as I lower it, in switch test still, the right ball, which is my problem, beeps like the switch registers, but the truck is dead center, so no switch should register. After that, with pf back down, back to the same, left truck facing not registering the switch. It's like something is shorting it. So basically it works with pf up. Doesn't when down. Wth? But wth is triggering it when I lower the pf?

#9779 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The opto emitter shines a full beam of light that the opto sensor detects. If the ball gets some air as it travels up the ramp it breaks the top half of the beam however the sensor still sees the bottom part of the beam, so the beam is not broken and the game doesn't detect the ball. By covering the bottom part of the beam, the sensor can now only see the top half of the beam and when the ball goes up the ramp (regardless of whether it has some air or not) it breaks the beam and the game detects the switch activation.

So rather than tape, I guess you can blackout half the beam with a dab of paint?

Quoted from mbwalker:

An update on my 3D printed JP Speaker grills. Wife's been painting them today, and wasn't done when I snapped a couple of pictures. Couldn't resist.
Still needs some touchup between the speaker grill and the T-Rex body, and few other areas finished.
Just used the crappy camera in the tablet, so not the best photos
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice job. Tell wife she's done well. Hope I can do as well on mine.

#9780 3 years ago

#9781 3 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

So rather than tape, I guess you can blackout half the beam with a dab of paint?

While I don't think these LEDs get that hot, it's the only thing I can think of as to why couldn't (or shouldn't) use paint. I guess it's easier to move the tape up or down if you need to adjust it, compared to paint - maybe use the tape first to confirm the fix and if it works then you can which to using a dab of paint if you want to get rid of the tape

#9782 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

While I don't think these LEDs get that hot, it's the only thing I can think of as to why couldn't (or shouldn't) use paint. I guess it's easier to move the tape up or down if you need to adjust it, compared to paint - maybe use the tape first to confirm the fix and if it works then you can which to using a dab of paint if you want to get rid of the tape

Good idea. I still need to get my jp first. Told mid may

#9783 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Well this is strange. With the pf up, I can get the opto to register the switch, as I lower it, in switch test still, the right ball, which is my problem, beeps like the switch registers, but the truck is dead center, so no switch should register. After that, with pf back down, back to the same, left truck facing not registering the switch. It's like something is shorting it. So basically it works with pf up. Doesn't when down. Wth? But wth is triggering it when I lower the pf?

Very strange. Have you tried jiggling wires while testing? When the pf is up, the fan is pointing straight down and away from the opto as well, correct? Is there a lot of vertical play in the truck shaft (like 1/4” or more)? Can you post a pic?

#9784 3 years ago

The connection seems odd as well. When the pf is up, the truck naturally takes a center position so fan is pointing up. About an 8th inch of play. Just enough for smooth truck rotation. If i unplug the connection & lightly plug it in on an angle, the switch test beeps, like its registering left face truck. The truck is center. That's why I'm thinking a short? But why, how. Nothing around not much involved here. I can manually block off the opto switches and it works fine. All this with pf up. Wish i could examine with the pf down. Is it possible the opto is reflected back off the shiny fan? Thus not triggering the switch?

#9785 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I requested and donated to Tim for his software before I ever got my JP Prem. The first games I played on it were with his version. In general I'm *meh* on Jurassic Park as a theme, and I have no nostalgia with the movie. But, think the game itself is amazing. I applaud and am grateful for all the work Tim (and Delt) put into this effort. I'd love to see it on more games. But when I went back and tried out the original code, to see what it was "supposed" to be, I really enjoyed that version as well.
Because I have no emotional ties to the movie, I actually gravitate toward the original code more. It feels more cohesive with the story and look; everything is the same art style and all the intended callouts are there. Plus, some of the extra ball and multiball animations are pretty sweet. But Tim's version gives a different vibe that I still enjoy. For people who love nerding out over the movie, his version is amazing.
The only disappointing thing to me is that this amount of effort went into replacing something that (to me) is already pretty awesome. There are other games (I hear AIQ) where the callouts and visuals actually take away from the game. In an ideal world, this type of effort would have gone to fixing games that were already lacking. That said, there isn't nearly as much passion and nostalgia around a license like Avengers as there is with JP, so I get it, and applaud what it means to so many fans of the game.
For me, I plan to periodically swap back and forth between versions, because I feel like they both bring something to the table, even for a non-JP fan like me.

I think you've hit on the key thing that contributes to one's preference of the original vs. modded code - emotional/nostalgic attachment to the theme.

Typically, when it comes to themed pins in general, most who value theme as a priority in their selection process want a pin to reflect as much as possible the source for which it was themed. When I first got mine setup I wanted to give the original code a chance so that is all I played with for a week. Having come from my DE JP with a PinSound and fully movie themed orchestration, I found the overall experience of the Stern JP to be disappointing. I absolutely love how it played, but the immersiveness was lacking.

If you know the franchise well the familiar quotes with different voice actors is bothersome, and you end up missing actual movie clips in places where they were simulated. Nothing is wrong with the product Stern produced (actually, this pin is in my top 5 all time favorites, and probably knocking on the door of the #1 spot for me with the code update), but many of us wanted the theme to incorporate/follow all of the familiar characters, quotes, voices, memorable scenes, etc. to make it as immersive as possible. I realize that overall immersion into the game (i.e. being as involved in the game as much as possible with multiple senses - sight, sound, feel, etc.) while playing isn't the ultimate goal for many pinball owners, but as a non-competitive player who spends thousands on these grown-up toys I want to have as an enjoyable experience as possible while playing, and I want the longevity of such to be maximized.

#9786 3 years ago

Sorry to change the topic from all the video mod fun (I use it, I enjoy it!) but I’m having trouble figuring something out -

My slings are super super hair-trigger sensitive on my JP Prem, and often lead to just sitting there watching the show as it immediately starts bouncing the ball back and forth, then often straight into a drain.

Maybe it’s how the game was designed? But I’ve not played any other game in recent memory that does this to the extent you feel like you’ve lost control of the ball completely.

Is it common for folks to reduce the sensitivity of the triggers for the slings? Should I lower the power from default?

Sorry if all of my terminology isn’t correct - and thanks in advance for any advice!

#9787 3 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Sorry to change the topic from all the video mod fun (I use it, I enjoy it!) but I’m having trouble figuring something out -
My slings are super super hair-trigger sensitive on my JP Prem, and often lead to just sitting there watching the show as it immediately starts bouncing the ball back and forth, then often straight into a drain.
Maybe it’s how the game was designed? But I’ve not played any other game in recent memory that does this to the extent you feel like you’ve lost control of the ball completely.
Is it common for folks to reduce the sensitivity of the triggers for the slings? Should I lower the power from default?
Sorry if all of my terminology isn’t correct - and thanks in advance for any advice!

Yup, turn em down. I did, and lots of others here have as well. They're too brutal on factory settings. I also gapped my leaf switches just a hair wider. Still sensitive, just not aggressively so.

#9788 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

The connection seems odd as well. When the pf is up, the truck naturally takes a center position so fan is pointing up. About an 8th inch of play. Just enough for smooth truck rotation. If i unplug the connection & lightly plug it in on an angle, the switch test beeps, like its registering left face truck. The truck is center. That's why I'm thinking a short? But why, how. Nothing around not much involved here. I can manually block off the opto switches and it works fine. All this with pf up. Wish i could examine with the pf down. Is it possible the opto is reflected back off the shiny fan? Thus not triggering the switch?

Yeah man...if everything is set up properly, my guess is that it’s more likely the opto itself than a short in a wire, but anything is possible. I used to work with photo cells and both sides definitely had to be lined up perfectly on those or you had problems. Is there a chance one side of the black opto is slightly askew or dirty? With a standard photo cell you could adjust the sensitivity, and ambient lighting and reflections were definitely a factor when setting. If that’s true with these opto boards, it would make sense to me that it acts differently when the pf is up or down if the sensitivity is slightly off. But I don’t remember seeing any adjustment screw on these and have no idea if there’s an option in the menu somewhere. I’d call Stern if an expert doesn’t chime in here. Very curious now to see what turns out to be the issue here. GL.

#9789 3 years ago

Definitely turn them down. I think a lot of home owners have done this. They are more brutal out of the box than most sterns I’ve owned. I have since turned mine back up to around the original setting after they have worn in a bit.

Quoted from adam12hicks:

#9790 3 years ago

Question: I saw here and there some posts of the ball guides or sides of the ramps scraping through the playfield's clear and print.
I have a LE and noticed the sharp edges are going through the clear probably (no problem as long as it doesn't move).

Should I do anything about it, or leave it as it is? No visible damage anywhere (yet), but the game has very low plays also.

Second question:
When you replace the helicopter, why can't you leave on the blades of the original heli.
Looks lilke the Stern metal heli 'blades' don't do much and they are heavy and ugly, or am I missing something. I took mine out this week to place the heli.

#9791 3 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Question: I saw here and there some posts of the ball guides or sides of the ramps scraping through the playfield's clear and print.
I have a LE and noticed the sharp edges are going through the clear probably (no problem as long as it doesn't move).
Should I do anything about it, or leave it as it is? No visible damage anywhere (yet), but the game has very low plays also.
Second question:
When you replace the helicopter, why can't you leave on the blades of the original heli.
Looks lilke the Stern metal heli 'blades' don't do much and they are heavy and ugly, or am I missing something. I took mine out this week to place the heli.

The metal blades are hooked up to a switch (sound and scoring). If it doesn't get triggered you will have tech alerts about a failed switch.

#9792 3 years ago

AH well I didn't see any sensor in the assembly drawing:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/190#post-6115774

I see only a switch on the side of the wireframe, I thought that was used and the blades are just for show

#9793 3 years ago

Finally made it to Escape Nublar

E8BDD311-959C-497F-A486-4C440B23BC59 (resized).jpegE8BDD311-959C-497F-A486-4C440B23BC59 (resized).jpeg
#9794 3 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Finally made it to Escape Nublar
[quoted image]

Me too! I just held the right and left flipper buttons until that option came up.

#9795 3 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/190#post-6115774
I see only a switch on the side of the wireframe, I thought that was used and the blades are just for show

Well if you have an LE then there is a magnetic switch at the bottom of the assembly.

#9796 3 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Second question:

Leaving the ball guides as they are risks potential further damage but you might get away with it. Lifting the ball guide and putting some protection under it will reduces the risks but it is a bit of work to do.

The Heli blades get hit by the ball so need to withstand that impact, in addition they have bolts & nuts on the ends of 3 of the blades and suspect this is to ensure that the blades don't come to rest in a position that could potentially jam the ball. Replacing the blades may work but I assume there was a reason Stern went this design.

Quoted from Faust:

If you lift the PF you'll see the sensor switch mech at the bottom of the Heli shaft - unfortunately the assembly drawing does not show those components.

#9797 3 years ago

Speaker panel lights installed along with the Stern art blades. Tomorrow a few other touches will be added. Also need to make another set of leg lights. The ones I had left are red and I forgot they are red only, not RGB. So need to make an orange set to match the speakers.

32418B5D-0CF3-4D38-A49B-8366C3EB719F (resized).jpeg32418B5D-0CF3-4D38-A49B-8366C3EB719F (resized).jpeg65549C93-98B1-4BC0-B17F-EB9E71C0E54F (resized).jpeg65549C93-98B1-4BC0-B17F-EB9E71C0E54F (resized).jpeg
#9798 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Definitely turn them down. I think a lot of home owners have done this. They are more brutal out of the box than most sterns I’ve owned. I have since turned mine back up to around the original setting after they have worn in a bit.

Thanks! I cranked them from like 30 default to around 17. Definitely a more enjoyable game now! Crazy they’re so powerful from the factory.

#9799 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Got my Jurassic Pro setup this evening. Already ordered the T-Rex Alive mod and should have that in 3 weeks and Stern sideblades in a few days. Game came with the custom movie code and my wife and I played the first 5, two-player games, on that custom code.
The I popped in the original SD card and we played a game and my wife and I were blown away how awesome the game is. The movie code doesn't match anything going on in the game except the opening scene and is BORING AF to play.
Card has 1.03 on it, will need to check if there's a newer update, but man, I get doing a movie code. But just because it can be done, doesn't mean it's fun to play. My wife was ready to write this game off and wanted BKSOR Premium back, until I popped in the original code.

I call BS!! You’re clearly taking the piss, are impossible to satisfy or simply a troll.

Jurassic Park was already top 3 pin of all time without too much discussion. The biggest gripe was it’s lack of movie video/callout content, no doubt due to budget constraints etc. Timlah’s code update resolves all of these issues and then some. It’s brilliant. Saying it is boring in comparison to the original code is fkn daft.

If you’re happy with the original code great, but don’t shit on someone who has placed an enormous amount of work into a project that so many here are so grateful for.

#9800 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Random Pinside Poster: "Here's a modification I'm providing as an option for others to utilize, with no obligation to do so whatsoever. I've done my best, but I still realize it won't be for everyone."
Response: "I don't like it, and because I don't like it that must mean it sucks. Because I think it sucks, I'm going to make sure everyone knows I think it sucks. Also, anyone else who doesn't think it sucks, well, they suck too!"

Fkn this!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation
Armor and blades
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 39.00
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,175 posts in this topic. You are on page 196 of 424.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/196?hl=kevindrives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.