(Topic ID: 248582)

Jurassic Park (Stern 2019 & 30th) Owners Club. Welcome! To Jurassic park.....

By CoolCatPinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21,175 posts
  • 1,406 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 hours ago by MiniPinHead
  • Topic is favorited by 761 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6528 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6527 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6519-ezgif.com-optimize.gif
IMG_6513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6509 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6508 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6507 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6521 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6511 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5725 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0818 (resized).JPG
IMG_0820 (resized).JPG
IMG_0819 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 21,175 posts in this topic. You are on page 195 of 424.
#9701 3 years ago

Post works fine. I went through the menus. Nothing there that I noticed. I'll need to investigate the switch, when I get a moment tomorrow. Thanks all.

#9702 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Post works fine. I went through the menus. Nothing there that I noticed. I'll need to investigate the switch, when I get a moment tomorrow. Thanks all.

Just curious...Are the truck direction arrows (just below truck) changing along with the position of the truck? If not, I would think it’s definitely an opto issue.

#9703 3 years ago
Quoted from gaubster:

I have a set of these carbon fiber JP pieces for the ramps, but haven't installed them yet. I'm a newbie as this is my first machine, but I haven't figured out the easiest way to get the screws out of the metal ramp entry piece. Did you have to take the wire form off to access the screws? Thanks!

For the helicopter ramp I moved the wire form. 1 nut and 1 screw so easy to do. Then used a long handled screwdriver for all four screws.

#9704 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

My guess is that the metal “fan” piece that attaches to the Jeep post has come loose or fallen off. Try to gently pull the Jeep out before lifting the playfield, or it might fall out. It attaches with a single set screw and needs to be centered in the slot between the black posts on the opto. If not, you will get exactly what is happening to you. I know this bc, in a hurry as usual, I put that piece on upside down after changing the rubbers on the Jeep lol...

#9705 3 years ago

Finally got my first ever pinball machine, a Jurassic Park Pro. Honestly it's even more fun than I thought I would have with it. Wife loves it too. Only issue is the left ramp doesn't always trigger, anyone know what the issue might be?

#9706 3 years ago

Congrats, excellent first pin in my opinion. I also had issues with fast clean shots not registering. I took some blue painters tape and covered the bottom half of the opto lens and that did the trick for me. Can't explain why it works but read it had worked for others also so maybe give it a shot.

IMG_20210301_001214422 (resized).jpgIMG_20210301_001214422 (resized).jpgIMG_20210301_001312240 (resized).jpgIMG_20210301_001312240 (resized).jpg

#9707 3 years ago

This opto is on the side of the ramp behind the backboard. Slide the playfield out, unscrew it from the ramp to make it easier. It is kind of a reach.

#9708 3 years ago
Quoted from JHS71:

I took some blue painters tape and covered the bottom half of the opto lens and that did the trick for me. Can't explain why it works

The opto emitter shines a full beam of light that the opto sensor detects. If the ball gets some air as it travels up the ramp it breaks the top half of the beam however the sensor still sees the bottom part of the beam, so the beam is not broken and the game doesn't detect the ball. By covering the bottom part of the beam, the sensor can now only see the top half of the beam and when the ball goes up the ramp (regardless of whether it has some air or not) it breaks the beam and the game detects the switch activation.

#9709 3 years ago

How do you earn a fossil for the Feed Trex mode? I thought it was from 2 SJPs, but I haven’t been awarded one the last couple of times I’ve hit the second jackpot.

#9710 3 years ago
Quoted from Kidkoffee:

Just curious...Are the truck direction arrows (just below truck) changing along with the position of the truck? If not, I would think it’s definitely an opto issue.

They both light in t rex chase mode. I will need to check the direction thing.

#9711 3 years ago
Quoted from Kidkoffee:

My guess is that the metal “fan” piece that attaches to the Jeep post has come loose or fallen off. Try to gently pull the Jeep out before lifting the playfield, or it might fall out. It attaches with a single set screw and needs to be centered in the slot between the black posts on the opto. If not, you will get exactly what is happening to you. I know this bc, in a hurry as usual, I put that piece on upside down after changing the rubbers on the Jeep lol...

Good info. I will check this as well. This being my first modern stern. Its all new to me. Thx.

#9712 3 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

How do you earn a fossil for the Feed Trex mode? I thought it was from 2 SJPs, but I haven’t been awarded one the last couple of times I’ve hit the second jackpot.

I don't think you can. I think it would be better if you could though. Currently I definitely don't sweat it if it times out. Would be better if there was some pressure to get a fossil.

#9713 3 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

You can’t.

http://tiltforums.com/t/stern-jurassic-park-rulesheet/5644

#9714 3 years ago
Quoted from JHS71:

Congrats, excellent first pin in my opinion. I also had issues with fast clean shots not registering. I took some blue painters tape and covered the bottom half of the opto lens and that did the trick for me. Can't explain why it works but read it had worked for others also so maybe give it a shot.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you, took me a few moments to figure out what I was doing since it's my first pinball machine fix ever, but pretty easy to do once I figured it out. I used black electrical tape, seems to trigger every time it should now!

#9715 3 years ago

I’ve had an issue come up a couple times lately where the left ramp would initiate a paddock mode and the video would come on but the up post would not come up. It works 100% the rest of the time. Wondering if this has Happened to anyone else.

#9716 3 years ago
Quoted from DMVPin:

I’ve had an issue come up a couple times lately where the left ramp would initiate a paddock mode and the video would come on but the up post would not come up. It works 100% the rest of the time. Wondering if this has Happened to anyone else.

If you hit both flippers soon enough when the paddock is started - essentially canceling/skipping the video - the up post will not come up. The post pauses gameplay while the video plays and explains what’s going on. If you skip it, you also cancel the post.

#9717 3 years ago

Is there any chance I can save time and money and print this translite from RetroRefurbs at a local shop near me? I dont know if it would cost just as much to hunt down and BUY the high pixel image from the artist then print it here in Orlando.

618A7FCD-E14B-4715-9EA9-C64EFD14B630 (resized).jpeg618A7FCD-E14B-4715-9EA9-C64EFD14B630 (resized).jpeg

#9718 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

If you hit both flippers soon enough when the paddock is started - essentially canceling/skipping the video - the up post will not come up. The post pauses gameplay while the video plays and explains what’s going on. If you skip it, you also cancel the post.

Thanks, I must have inadvertently done this. I'll be more aware going forward so I don't drain again!

#9719 3 years ago
Quoted from Wilberto757:

Is there any chance I can save time and money and print this translite from RetroRefurbs at a local shop near me? I dont know if it would cost just as much to hunt down and buy the high pixel image then print it here in Orlando.
[quoted image]

I would treat those graphics as copyrighted material and exclusively available at Retro. The artist spent a ton of time on that image. *If* they would SELL you the digital image, then you could print locally, but I am not sure Retro sells the digital image. Ask Retro if they sell it digitally.

#9720 3 years ago
Quoted from Wilberto757:

Is there any chance I can save time and money and print this translite from RetroRefurbs at a local shop near me? I dont know if it would cost just as much to hunt down and buy the high pixel image then print it here in Orlando.
[quoted image]

Nedry looks really bad on that! Put some glasses on him and i think he would look alittle better. Overall not to bad though.

#9721 3 years ago
Quoted from Wilberto757:

[quoted image]

Why wouldn't you just buy one instead of ripping off someone's artwork?
That person hand drew all of that for the purpose of selling these, I don't know how long it took but I'm sure it wasn't quick.
I like to be paid for my labor, don't you?

#9722 3 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

That person hand drew all of that for the purpose of selling these, I don't know how long it took but I'm sure it wasn't quick.

The artist actually posted his progress draft images on this website a year or so ago. He appeared to be working on it for at least a month or longer. He made matching cabinet art as well, and think he factored it for both the older DE machines and the newer Stern machines, so he spent a ton of time as we watched his updates get posted. I would pay him if I wanted to use it in my machine...

#9723 3 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

I mentioned in my post I wanted to BUY the digital print or image from the artist after i found it. Mark mentioned he made a posts and I just found it. I was asking if buying the right to print it and get it locally printed was cheaper is all, I didn't mean to cause any confusion.

#9724 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

The artist actually posted his progress draft images on this website a year or so ago. He appeared to be working on it for at least a month or longer. He made matching cabinet art as well, and think he factored it for both the older DE machines and the newer Stern machines, so he spent a ton of time as we watched his updates get posted. I would pay him if I wanted to use it in my machine...

Thanks for the info Mark I was able to find the post. My intention was always to try and buy the image from the artist. I wouldn't think I could even find the original image without paying for it to begin with.

#9725 3 years ago

Yeah I followed that, it was a ton of work.
I just didn't reference it because I wasn't sure if there was a final draft in there to get stolen but I don't think any of those are high res.

Quoted from Wilberto757:

I mentioned in my post I wanted to BUY the digital print or image from the artist after i found it. Mark mentioned he made a posts and I just found it. I was asking if buying the right to print it and get it locally printed was cheaper is all, I didn't mean to cause any confusion.

No worries.
Sorry, I misinterpreted what you where after.
You could reach out to hassanchop but I doubt anyone would sell anything like this digitally in today's world, too easy for someone to abuse it.

#9726 3 years ago

Last summer, I read that the recommend slope for JP2 is 7.0 deg, so I adjusted to what I thought was that angle. It seemed like the machine's bubble level was off pretty extreme, but that is what my phone said. This past weekend I was cleaning my JP2 Pro and decided to double check the playfield angle using my phone, and low and behold it showed close to 8.0 deg!

In hindsight, I think I didn't calibrate my phone when I set up the angle earlier - or maybe I didn't account for the camera sticking out from the back. Regardless, I had been playing at the steeper angle for 6 months. Within a day of setting to 7.0 deg I set my new GC score - just under 1 billion. I swear I will break through that barrier soon, before I changed the angle I thought it would be impossible.

I'm definitely an idiot, this is just one of the many ways I've proven that fact.

#9727 3 years ago
Quoted from sliprose:

Last summer, I read that the recommend slope for JP2 is 7.0 deg, so I adjusted to what I thought was that angle. It seemed like the machine's bubble level was off pretty extreme, but that is what my phone said. This past weekend I was cleaning my JP2 Pro and decided to double check the playfield angle using my phone, and low and behold it showed close to 8.0 deg!
In hindsight, I think I didn't calibrate my phone when I set up the angle earlier - or maybe I didn't account for the camera sticking out from the back. Regardless, I had been playing at the steeper angle for 6 months. Within a day of setting to 7.0 deg I set my new GC score - just under 1 billion. I swear I will break through that barrier soon, before I changed the angle I thought it would be impossible.
I'm definitely an idiot, this is just one of the many ways I've proven that fact.

You're not an idiot. using a phone is better than the bubble level which is usually way off.

However, I never recommend using a phone because of cases, cameras, etc. It's just not that good for precise stuff. I bought a cheap inclinometer from amazon and use only that.

#9728 3 years ago

Buddy of mine asked me a question and I don't know the answer. Why is there a post in front of the top flipper on JP and not other Stern games?

#9729 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Buddy of mine asked me a question and I don't know the answer. Why is there a post in front of the top flipper on JP and not other Stern games?

Without that post, ball will drain STDM on an orbit shot. Plus, it takes a damn beating.

#9730 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Without that post, ball will drain STDM on an orbit shot. Plus, it takes a damn beating.

Yep, I figured it was just for the beating but wasn't sure if the ball would have a bad route. Thanks.

#9731 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Better question: why isn't there a similar post on the AIQ upper flipper? I have seen some games where that upper flipper has taken the same beating the post is preventing in this game.

#9732 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Better question: why isn't there a similar post on the AIQ upper flipper? I have seen some games where that upper flipper has taken the same beating the post is preventing in this game.

That's actually what got my buddy asking the question. His post on JP broke and I told him he had to replace it to protect the flipper. He asked why does JP have the protection and not Avengers?

#9733 3 years ago
Quoted from Kidkoffee:

Fails switch test. The fan in the opto is positioned well. I guess the board is bad? Can I get one somewhere?

#9734 3 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Wow!!! I’ve never even got close! Well done!

Time to sell it to me then!

#9735 3 years ago
Quoted from sliprose:

Why is the bubble level on the game set to 6.5 if 7.0 is the recommended setting? I think this may be my greatest challenge in dialing in the machine. Hopefully getting it at 7 will help.

#9736 3 years ago
Quoted from DMVPin:

Why is the bubble level on the game set to 6.5 if 7.0 is the recommended setting? I think this may be my greatest challenge in dialing in the machine. Hopefully getting it at 7 will help.

My guess would be that 6.5 is Stern's typical setup and they are not going to change hardware for one pin. It has been covered at length here and even captured in an interview/video somewhere, but the designer of the game himself clearly states 7.0 degrees is the optimal angle.

#9737 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

My guess would be that 6.5 is Stern's typical setup and they are not going to change hardware for one pin. It has been cover at length here and even captured in an interview/video somewhere, but the designer of the game himself clearly states 7.0 degrees is the optimal angle.

Thanks! No one to blame but myself now.

#9738 3 years ago
Quoted from DMVPin:

Thanks! No one to blame but myself now.

A few things to know if you are a pinball newbie.

In addition to the pitch, you also need to set the level from left to right (sort of like setting both the fade and balance in your car stereo). This should be 0 degrees, of course (i.e. not sloping to either the left or the right).

The best place to set pitch/level is on the playfield itself (not the glass) in the open middle area just above the lower flippers.

There is a free levelling app on the iPhone called PinGuy. You first calibrate your phone on a known flat surface (such as a concrete floor or hard counter top), set the desired pitch, then you can turn on a voice that will call out what adjustments need to be made and when you are set in both orientations. This is great because you can set the phone then crawl under the pin once to do all of the leg adjustments while the voice calls out to you on a regular basis.

#9739 3 years ago

An update on my 3D printed JP Speaker grills. Wife's been painting them today, and wasn't done when I snapped a couple of pictures. Couldn't resist.

Still needs some touchup between the speaker grill and the T-Rex body, and few other areas finished.

Just used the crappy camera in the tablet, so not the best photos

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9740 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Fails switch test. The fan in the opto is positioned well. I guess the board is bad? Can I get one somewhere?

Good question. I quick searched it and can’t find one anywhere. Maybe somebody else will chime in here. I’d make sure the 4-pin connector on the board itself and the 10-pin connector on the big board to the left of it are seated properly and not skipping a pin. Make sure a wire hasn’t slipped out or got loose at one of the connectors too. Maybe try playing with the positioning of the fan? Other than that, I’d contact Stern support and go from there.

#9741 3 years ago

Got my Jurassic Pro setup this evening. Already ordered the T-Rex Alive mod and should have that in 3 weeks and Stern sideblades in a few days. Game came with the custom movie code and my wife and I played the first 5, two-player games, on that custom code.

The I popped in the original SD card and we played a game and my wife and I were blown away how awesome the game is. The movie code doesn't match anything going on in the game except the opening scene and is BORING AF to play.

Card has 1.03 on it, will need to check if there's a newer update, but man, I get doing a movie code. But just because it can be done, doesn't mean it's fun to play. My wife was ready to write this game off and wanted BKSOR Premium back, until I popped in the original code.

#9742 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Got my Jurassic Pro setup this evening. Already ordered the T-Rex Alive mod and should have that in 3 weeks and Stern sideblades in a few days. Game came with the custom movie code and my wife and I played the first 5, two-player games, on that custom code.
The I popped in the original SD card and we played a game and my wife and I were blown away how awesome the game is. The movie code doesn't match anything going on in the game except the opening scene and is BORING AF to play.
Card has 1.03 on it, will need to check if there's a newer update, but man, I get doing a movie code. But just because it can be done, doesn't mean it's fun to play. My wife was ready to write this game off and wanted BKSOR Premium back, until I popped in the original code.

Exact opposite experience here... We played for two days on stock code, then got the movie version and we think it's at least 11 times cooler

#9743 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Exact opposite experience here... We played for two days on stock code, then got the movie version and we think it's at least 11 times cooler

Agree completely. I think the custom code is amazing and makes an already excellent game into something even greater

#9744 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Where did you get your game that “came with the movie code installed”? Stern doesn’t ship the movie version but perhaps a distributor gave you an older version??? Are you sure it was version 1.03??

#9745 3 years ago

Where did you get your game that “came with the movie code installed”? Stern doesn’t ship the movie version but perhaps a distributor gave you an older version??? Are you sure it was version 1.03??

Traded for it and it had the card included. I was going to try it out myself anyway, just saved me the time. Enjoy what you want, but this does not improve the game at all and in fact makes it non-sensical.

#9746 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

That was the way B/W did their ramp optos as well - you can buy replacement plastic opto brackets pretty cheap (not sure if the B/W version is compatible with Stern). Typically there is no force being applied to the screw however with JP it holds the plastic airball protector in place so is potentially subjected to more forces (actually The Shadow is the the same and I think that was one of the machines I had to replace the opto bracket on). I've not seen the side break out of the bracket like yours, typically it just strips the thread - my only thoughts would be to ensure that the 3 screws holding the airball plastic in place are never loose as this will put more force on to that bracket

Unfortunate Update: After maybe 10-20 plays at best I opened the glass to check something else. To my utter dismay I found that the brand new "flyball" protector plastic from Ulek had already cracked at 2 of the 3 mounting points (pics attached). When I installed it I was very careful, only tightening these screws just enough, not too much and using washers. The cracks happened during minimal gameplay.

I reached out to Ulek and they said that the plastic they use is the exact same as stock Stern and that it can happen from 1 ball or 100 balls, basically at any given time. It's too bad that this afterthought of the assembly is what it is today. In my uneducated opinion, the most often root cause of cracking is that if you have the "spacers" removed like I do (as recommended by Stern), it requires the plastic to bend more than it should "naturally" and stresses against the mounts. However, even with the spacers included it still has to bend, just a bit less. This puts a lot of stress on all screw points in either configuration. Therefore, no matter what, this plastic is going to eventually crack and/or one's opto bracket is going to break. I think Stern needs to come up with a better solution.

I'm curious if any later model PREM/PROs have had any parts/assembly improvement in this area. If so, please share!

PXL_20210302_041811990 (1) (resized).jpgPXL_20210302_041811990 (1) (resized).jpg
#9747 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Traded for it and it had the card included. I was going to try it out myself anyway, just saved me the time. Enjoy what you want, but this does not improve the game at all and in fact makes it non-sensical.

Well enjoy...you are in a SMALL minority...

#9748 3 years ago

How do you get a 6 Combo? As I feel like I've done it a few times but don't get credit for it, is there any rules like you can't get the left ramp 2 times or something?

#9749 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Agree with yzfguy. The sound track alone in the "Tim" code makes your heart race trying to complete missions and is sycned perfectly with game play IMO. I give it an 11

#9750 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Unfortunate Update: After maybe 10-20 plays at best I opened the glass to check something else. To my utter dismay I found that the brand new "flyball" protector plastic from Ulek had already cracked at 2 of the 3 mounting points (pics attached). When I installed it I was very careful, only tightening these screws just enough, not too much and using washers. The cracks happened during minimal gameplay.
I reached out to Ulek and they said that the plastic they use is the exact same as stock Stern and that it can happen from 1 ball or 100 balls, basically at any given time. It's too bad that this afterthought of the assembly is what it is today. In my uneducated opinion, the most often root cause of cracking is that if you have the "spacers" removed like I do (as recommended by Stern), it requires the plastic to bend more than it should "naturally" and stresses against the mounts. However, even with the spacers included it still has to bend, just a bit less. This puts a lot of stress on all screw points in either configuration. Therefore, no matter what, this plastic is going to eventually crack and/or one's opto bracket is going to break. I think Stern needs to come up with a better solution.
I'm curious if any later model PREM/PROs have had any parts/assembly improvement in this area. If so, please share!
[quoted image]

So far with mine no breakage, have had the game for 5 months so not sure if that would be the test of time just yet. But I have seen some people post pics on this and with my game I have two spacers on top of the two black posts on the entry of the ramp then the plastic on top of that. Not sure if this would help your situation, just thinking if the plastics are too low may get more balls smashing into it causing stress cracks.

PXL_20210115_042454383 (resized).jpgPXL_20210115_042454383 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
There are 21,175 posts in this topic. You are on page 195 of 424.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/195?hl=jmcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.