(Topic ID: 248582)

Jurassic Park (Stern 2019 & 30th) Owners Club. Welcome! To Jurassic park.....

By CoolCatPinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21,268 posts
  • 1,408 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by trueno92
  • Topic is favorited by 765 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbnail_image5 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_image0 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_image1 (resized).jpg
20240416_213856 (resized).jpg
IMG_6976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6988 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6987 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6985 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6984 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6983 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6975 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0851 (resized).jpg
IMG_0850 (resized).jpg
IMG_4900 (resized).PNG
IMG_3560 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 21,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 146 of 426.
#7251 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I purchased 3 new coil stops from PBL in preparation for my JP coming in late October. My question is if anyone thinks Stern will have fixed their coil stop issues in the upcoming production run or should I just replace them day 1 as a preventative measure?
I've been in the hobby for about 3 years, and have never had one fail (never owned a Stern). Is this something common with them, or did they just have a bad batch?

My JP was a pre order first run Pro. I just replaced my first coil stop this past weekend. About 700 plays so far. If it ain't broke, dont fix it. Lol.

#7252 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I purchased 3 new coil stops from PBL in preparation for my JP coming in late October. My question is if anyone thinks Stern will have fixed their coil stop issues in the upcoming production run or should I just replace them day 1 as a preventative measure?
I've been in the hobby for about 5 years, and have never had one fail (never owned a Stern). Is this something common with them, or did they just have a bad batch?

I purchased the same handful of PBL stops, and have them sitting in a bag waiting for the need to arise. I have <50 games on my JP and plan to swap only when the flipper freaks out. (I am trying not to tinker under the playfield too often).

#7253 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

A bit alarmist are we??
Yes I have a bit of missing clearcoat but look at the number of plays... I lowered kicker power at around 500-600 plays.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

No I’m speaking form experience

#7254 3 years ago

I replaced the stock fan with the low noise one. Does anyone know if you can manually test the fan? I looked in diagnostics and couldn’t find it. I just want to make sure it’s working properly since it hasn’t turned on yet after 10 min

#7255 3 years ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

What do you recommend for cleaning the steel ramps? Is Novus 1 ok? Will naphtha work on the stainless steel without harming?
Thx!

Novus 1 will be about as effective as Windex, and I've had no issue with Naptha damaging or discoloring the ramps on JP. Note that you must use a very well ventilated area for Naptha, and while it does an amazing low scrubbing effort to remove pencil lines and dirt from rubber, it will take off playfield wax just as easy.

#7256 3 years ago
Quoted from Sjoend:

I would also advice a shooter lane protector before you shoot the first ball!!
This is my shooter lane after just a few games.[quoted image]

Why not just simply put a piece of mylar on it

#7257 3 years ago

As long as we're all showing pics of our shooter lanes, heres mine. Zero protection. Trough power just got turned down about 150 games ago. It was at stock setting. I think it just varies from game to game.

20201002_192108 (resized).jpg20201002_192108 (resized).jpg20201002_192206 (resized).jpg20201002_192206 (resized).jpg
#7258 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

As long as we're all showing pics of our shooter lanes, heres mine. Zero protection. Trough power just got turned down about 150 games ago. It was at stock setting. I think it just varies from game to game.
[quoted image][quoted image]

You’ve got wear on the right side

#7259 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

I replaced the stock fan with the low noise one. Does anyone know if you can manually test the fan? I looked in diagnostics and couldn’t find it. I just want to make sure it’s working properly since it hasn’t turned on yet after 10 min

There is no control logic between the CPU node and the power supply. That means the power supply has no integration with any type of settings menu. This is very common when a generic power supply is used with a computer (the CPU node board in this case). You can confirm this by looking at the connections... just heavy guage power wires. (You would see at least one small gauge control wire connecting the supply to the rest of the system)

#7260 3 years ago
Quoted from Sjoend:

I would also advice a shooter lane protector before you shoot the first ball!!
This is my shooter lane after just a few games.[quoted image]

Like many folks getting NIB machines, I didn't remember that protectors were a good thing until the machine arrived. When the box was still sitting on my doorstep, I dropped Cliffy a note to get some steel shipped, but while I was waiting for them to arrive, I unboxed the machine and then immediately I turned the trough coil down to 195 and then PUT 3 layers of BLUE PAINTERS TAPE (LOL) in the lane exactly where you see that wear! It worked great until the protectors arrived... and made cliff laugh when I told him about the short-term solution.

#7261 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Who cares?
It looks fine, its a pinball machine.
I've never walked away from a deal do to shooter lane wear...

#7262 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Yes, I do. I was just showing the pics for comparison. It doesn't look bad at all in person, and I'm fine with it. I will put some felt or mylar on my AIQ when it shows up just for good measure, but we all need to remember, these aren't museum pieces. Play em, love em, enjoy em.

#7263 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

I just replaced mine last weekend and had the same experience (what felt like a long time for the fan to come on). I placed a scrap of paper towel on top of the fan and walked away to do other stuff for about 20 mins, came back and the towel had blown off. Replaced the paper towel, played my other machine for a bit, came back and the towel was off again and the fan was running. It is REALLY quiet compared to the stock one! Patience...

#7264 3 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

Who cares?
It looks fine, its a pinball machine.
I've never walked away from a deal do to shooter lane wear...

I agree, but some people do. If you buy a NIB game it’s nice to know that putting something there will prevent wear.

#7265 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Like many folks getting NIB machines, I didn't remember that protectors were a good thing until the machine arrived. When the box was still sitting on my doorstep, I dropped Cliffy a note to get some steel shipped, but while I was waiting for them to arrive, I unboxed the machine and then immediately I turned the trough coil down to 195 and then PUT 3 layers of BLUE PAINTERS TAPE (LOL) in the lane exactly where you see that wear! It worked great until the protectors arrived... and made cliff laugh when I told him about the short-term solution.

Did you have a hard time installing the cliffys? I have a set but gave up when I realized I had two hammer out those two screws. Were they a pain in the but? Did they tear clear when you hammered them out?

#7266 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Did you have a hard time installing the cliffys? I have a set but gave up when I realized I had two hammer out those two screws. Were they a pain in the but? Did they tear clear when you hammered them out?

I have installed these before without removing those. They seem fine

#7267 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I agree, but some people do. If you buy a NIB game it’s nice to know that putting something there will prevent wear.

For sure, I put a protector on mine as well but I just don't think his looks bad or would bring down his resale value at all.
Anywhere else on the playfield I'd be wary of the clear being worn through but IMO shooter wear is not really a factor and is not that hard to repair if it bugs someone, that being said it doesn't hurt to protect it lol.
People nit pick these things like they are timeless art pieces and its silly to me, by nature its kind of a violent game.
Play the funk out of them, just do regular maintenance and they will be fine.

#7268 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I have installed these before without removing those. They seem fine

really? They seem to have countersunk holes so it wouldn’t sit flush without removing the screws

#7269 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I used Cliffy’s lane protector on the right rail side and I used PBL’s protector under the apron near the trough For that exact reason that the countersunk screw under the apron was pretty solid and I did not want to take a hammer to my Playfield

#7270 3 years ago

There is no control logic between the CPU node and the power supply. That means the power supply has no integration with any type of settings menu. This is very common when a generic power supply is used with a computer (the CPU node board in this case). You can confirm this by looking at the connections... just heavy guage power wires. (You would see at least one small gauge control wire connecting the supply to the rest of the system)

Check out the latest video from George Gomez on the Spike system. He also mentioned the loud fan. Very nice and explaining video.

#7271 3 years ago

I strongly recommend ordering cliffy’s shooter lane protectors. Everything else can wait till you have time. If you can’t get them in time, at least turn down trough coil to 195 or so. I added 3 layers of blue painters tape to the lane until the protectors arrived.

I just buy to Cliff the complete set of protectors, you know if are any instructions for install it? It's my first pinball and i think will be very difficult to install for me.

Regards!!!

Jose A.

#7272 3 years ago

I just received my side armor in the mail and was surprised the red behind the TRex is a mirrored finish. It doesn’t look better or worse than I thought, just different from what I was expecting. From a straight on picture it looks flat red.

197DEA0A-8DE5-4802-9AA1-A770A2A0FE82 (resized).jpeg197DEA0A-8DE5-4802-9AA1-A770A2A0FE82 (resized).jpeg30F1C741-5761-4D97-B7D8-E55B4A43A824 (resized).jpeg30F1C741-5761-4D97-B7D8-E55B4A43A824 (resized).jpeg

#7273 3 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I just received my side armor in the mail and was surprised the red behind the TRex is a mirrored finish. It doesn’t look better or worse imo, but I thought I would post pics here as it wasn’t what I was expecting. From a straight on picture it looks flat red.
[quoted image][quoted image]

How easy would it be to disassemble for powder coating? How is the inner lining attached? Will it get damaged if you remove it?

#7274 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

How easy would it be to disassemble for powder coating? How is the inner lining attached? Will it get damaged if you remove it?

I think it’ll pop right out. I didn’t try to take it out, so there may be some adhesive on the inside edges. The TRex cut out moves freely from the backing though. So anything that may get damaged would be would be hidden.

#7275 3 years ago

I put Titan rubbers on my game and I think it has made my game much harder to shoot. The slings seem especially active now and controlling the ball is a struggle. The ball used to come out of the right orbit and get kicked to my left flipper, now it is getting kicked to the left sling? Does anyone else think this game plays terrible with titan rubbers?

#7276 3 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I put Titan rubbers on my game and I think it has made my game much harder to shoot. The slings seem especially active now and controlling the ball is a struggle. The ball used to come out of the right orbit and get kicked to my left flipper, now it is getting kicked to the left sling? Does anyone else think this game plays terrible with titan rubbers?

I can't speak to JP as I don't have my pin yet, but I've heard this same argument in other forums for pins I own. Personally, I love Titans on all my games, and one of the first mods I do. I will say that I always go with the thin flipper rings as the thick ones are too bouncy for me. I find the thin ones offer much better control (they have a completely different feel).

Not sure how long you've had them, but when you get a few games on them they do seem to settle down a little. For me one of the biggest benefits of Titans (or other silicon rings) is that they don't degrade and leave residue all over the playfield.

Also, sometimes for slings you need to go with a slightly larger or smaller size than what the rubber ones are. With different stretch comes different performance. Can be somewhat of a pain on newer games to figure out what sizes are best for how you want the game to play if nobody else has already done the work to compare them.

#7277 3 years ago

That is also the reason why I replaced my rubbers was because of the black residue, but I didn’t think gameplay would change that much as I’ve changed to titans on all my 11 games. I don’t find any of my other games are affected negatively. What are my alternatives, I don’t want to go back to the black ones.

#7278 3 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

That is also the reason why I replaced my rubbers was because of the black residue, but I didn’t think gameplay would change that much as I’ve changed to titans on all my 11 games. I don’t find any of my other games are affected negatively. What are my alternatives, I don’t want to go back to the black ones.

I use the clear silicone rubbers from pinball life. They come in a container of sizes all for $40. I rerubbered about 3 machines per container. I like the way these play.

#7279 3 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I had to adjust the leaf switches in my slings. They were far too sensitive. It helped immensely and was super simple to do. Literally took 5 or 10 minutes.

#7280 3 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I don’t have any issues with Titans.

#7281 3 years ago

I had to adjust the leaf switches in my slings. They were far too sensitive. It helped immensely and was super simple to do. Literally took 5 or 10 minutes.

I am going to try adjusting the switches, I will report back with results.

#7282 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

I don’t have any issues with Titans.

I don’t have any issue with titans on any of my other games, I feel this game needs to be played in a more controlled way, and Titans are too crazy.

#7283 3 years ago

Wondering if anyone has installed BriteCaps EVO Pop Bumper Lights on their Stern JP pops (https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html)? I really like these and have them on my other games. If so, which color did you go with (I'm thinking the orange look best with the OEM amber caps)?

For those not familiar, these include the following:
- Underside lighting (cool white)
- Top side outer ring lighting (the top outer ring and underside lighting have a singular brightness control)
- Top side inner ring lighting (these can be set to always on or, what I prefer, they can be set to flash based upon vibration - e.g. when the bumper is tripped)

bc_evo-2 (resized).jpgbc_evo-2 (resized).jpg

Added over 3 years ago:

FYI, BrightMods BriteCaps EVO Pop Bumper lighting will not work in these games.

#7284 3 years ago

New pro owner here. Are air balls common? I routinely get balls getting on top of the plastics on the left side. Ball also kicks up in the back and often doesn't make a clean loop. Game came to me with plastic protector over pf. I'm wondering if that is the problem since the ball rides a bit higher on pf.

#7285 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

New pro owner here. Are air balls common? I routinely get balls getting on top of the plastics on the left side. Ball also kicks up in the back and often doesn't make a clean loop. Game came to me with plastic protector over pf. I'm wondering if that is the problem since the ball rides a bit higher on pf.

The spinner shot on mine almost never goes all the way around. I dont think that is from the playfield protector.

#7286 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Try adjusting your flipper power down in the game settings. I don't think any of mine are at factory settings. Also, if you haven't done it already, set your game up for 7 degrees. The designer has chimed in here several times that he designed it for that pitch. Do that prior to adjusting flipper strength.

#7287 3 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

Try adjusting your flipper power down in the game settings. I don't think any of mine are at factory settings. Also, if you haven't done it already, set your game up for 7 degrees. The designer has chimed in here several times that he designed it for that pitch. Do that prior to adjusting flipper strength.

Upper flipper does seem pretty strong. Might try a lower power on that but seems like the lower flippers need a good kick to make the ramp shots. I will try a higher pitch as well. It's also hard to get the launch to make it around the heli pad ramp. Previous owner already titled the ramp fork to the right and looks like launchers hit ball squarely. Like to get this game playing smoothly but that seems to be a tough task. Still a great game, though.

#7288 3 years ago

Has anyone ordered the JADA 1:43 Jeep on eBay that ships from china? I’m sure its a knockoff, but I have not been able to find one other than that. Just wondering if its decent for a replacement truck or if I should keep searching for a authentic one.

#7289 3 years ago
Quoted from JRay23:

Has anyone ordered the JADA 1:43 Jeep on eBay that ships from china? I’m sure its a knockoff, but I have not been able to find one other than that. Just wondering if its decent for a replacement truck or if I should keep searching for a authentic one.

Sure have. Definitely not a knock-off, just straight from the actual production source instead. It's legit and would recommend.

#7290 3 years ago
Quoted from madmack:

Playfield protector ordered!
I hady to remove the backbox to enterthe pinball in the gameroom... [quoted image][quoted image]

I am considering doing this to take mine upstairs (just to lighten things some). Was wondering what all is involved to remove the backbox?

#7291 3 years ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Sure have. Definitely not a knock-off, just straight from the actual production source instead. It's legit and would recommend.

Perfect! Thanks for the reply!

#7292 3 years ago

It's been out for a year, but I just came across this JP short:

#7293 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I am considering doing this to take mine upstairs (just to lighten things some). Was wondering what all is involved to remove the backbox?

A few hinge bolts and cat6 cables, it's the easiest to remove a head as it's ever been. What a pain it was back in the Williams/Bally days with all those darn connections to remove and remember what went where. If you want an idea, just take out your translite, fold your display down, and look at what travels from the head to the cab. That's all it is.

#7294 3 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I purchased this topper with my machine. It’s awesome, but unfortunately is too tall for where I’m putting the machine. PM me if you’re interested in it. I‘m open to offers. I know this one was made by tilt topper and isn’t made anymore. Not sure what they are going for now. I may end up holding on to it and trying to find a different spot for the machine. But if the price is right, I’ll sell it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

worth what it cost, just did another run. waiting on mine now.

#7295 3 years ago

I adjusted the leaf switches on the slings and I feel the game has calmed down a bit, thanks for the advice!

#7296 3 years ago
Quoted from JRay23:

I bought one on September 20 and according to the tracking number, it is at my local post office. Should get it today or tomorrow I guess. Original estimated delivery date was October 27 to November 17. So it will be here way ahead if schedule. The communication from the seller was awesome. I got it from "lemontree1168".

#7297 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

A few hinge bolts and cat6 cables, it's the easiest to remove a head as it's ever been. What a pain it was back in the Williams/Bally days with all those darn connections to remove and remember what went where. If you want an idea, just take out your translite, fold your display down, and look at what travels from the head to the cab. That's all it is.

So is it best to disconnect everything in the backbox or in the cabinet (by your photo it looks like you did it in the backbox)?

#7298 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

So is it best to disconnect everything in the backbox or in the cabinet (by your photo it looks like you did it in the backbox)?

I'd say backbox so they drop into the cabinet. This way you don't have long cables dangling out of the backbox when you're moving it. I don't think it matters, otherwise.

#7299 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Upper flipper does seem pretty strong. Might try a lower power on that but seems like the lower flippers need a good kick to make the ramp shots. I will try a higher pitch as well. It's also hard to get the launch to make it around the heli pad ramp. Previous owner already titled the ramp fork to the right and looks like launchers hit ball squarely. Like to get this game playing smoothly but that seems to be a tough task. Still a great game, though.

I have played with the upper flipper strength, 240 works best for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aldie, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

There are 21,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 146 of 426.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/146?hl=hop721 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.