(Topic ID: 248582)

Jurassic Park (Stern 2019) Owners Club. Welcome! To Jurassic park.....

By Scribbles

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13,885 posts
  • 1,059 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 548 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C1EDD3A4-9DC8-4809-89F6-07D0AFA4F22C (resized).jpeg
5990C9A9-3151-4E47-9441-4D6700527263 (resized).jpeg
RaptorGate (resized).jpg
2ADE470B-6BDE-40A5-8818-44CAA4CB7AB6 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20220516-115053-257 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20220516-003232-715 (resized).png
20220515_140633 (resized).jpg
IMG_7280 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7291 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7289 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7268 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7282 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7290 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220514_082302275 (resized).jpg
EFBC7ABB-350B-43AD-A95A-9AAE5C7750F7.gif

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 13,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 278.
#7201 1 year ago

I love that extra Escape Nublar challenge mode! Finished it today with a time of 5:42.312. It’s a heart pumping adventure! It’s so different playing a challenge mode like that instead of playing for points, really keeps the game fresh and interesting and forces you to really hit specific shots and plan ahead. Looking forward to trying to beat my time!

#7202 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

I’d suggest returning it!

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I just assumed that wasn’t an option, but if it is then I concur.

I purchased from a reputable establishment and will return it. I'm just sad.

#7203 1 year ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

I purchased from a reputable establishment and will return it. I'm just sad.

maybe ask them for a partial refund and keep it? Just because those things are near impossible to find. I'm assuming its an OEM Stern.

#7204 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I love that extra Escape Nublar challenge mode! Finished it today with a time of 5:42.312. It’s a heart pumping adventure! It’s so different playing a challenge mode like that instead of playing for points, really keeps the game fresh and interesting and forces you to really hit specific shots and plan ahead. Looking forward to trying to beat my time!

What is this mode???

#7205 1 year ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

What is this mode???

Hold both flippers in attract and you can select Escape Nublar mode.

#7206 1 year ago
Quoted from RobW:

I found a cool spot for a spare ball!
[quoted image]

nice, right in the theme !
even if a bloody finger could also do the trick

#7207 1 year ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie owner(played machines for years though) and I've owned my Stern NIB JP premium for about 3 months and love it. It's my 3rd pinball machine. However, I'm having issues with flippers. When it arrived there always seemed to be unsmooth feel often, pushing the flipper button itself. As if it was getting friction/resistance as the button pressed in to its housing(kind of like a notch that was resisting the push and then would clear the resistance suddenly.) I more or less got used to it and now it's less pronounced. However, now the left flipper is not responding at all to subtle "micro-flips" for tap or flick passes along with post passes(won't respond at all to post pass attempts from the left flipper all of a sudden). It used to perform these functions perfectly until the last few days. The flipper is almost binary now: full flip or nothing at all. I have the flipper power set to full in the settings. I've read about new Sterns having terrible coil stops and coil sleeves. Is this maybe the issue? I've ordered new ones from pinballife.com. I'm also thinking it needs new plastic buttons just to be safe. As I investigate further I'm discovering other possibilities like the EOS switches(still unclear if that's the switch the plastic flipper button connects to or something on the playfield near the flipper coil?) Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!

There is a tiny casting seam on new stern flipper buttons which drove me crazy, like you described.
Grind it down with a smooth sand paper, easy fix!
For faster grinding you can attatch the button with a double sided 3M tape and turn the button while sanding it .

large (resized).JPGddad (resized).png

#7208 1 year ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

There is a tiny casting seam on new stern flipper buttons which drove me crazy, like you described.
For faster grinding you can attatch the button with a double sided 3M tape and turn the button while sanding it .
[quoted image][quoted image]

Man, I cannot stand that myself - good to hear I'm not the only one. Are new buttons being sold with the same issue, or no? If I buy these from PBL, will they not have that?

https://www.pinballlife.com/cabinet-flipper-button-opaque-1-18-shaft.html

#7209 1 year ago
Quoted from Scribbles:

maybe ask them for a partial refund and keep it? Just because those things are near impossible to find. I'm assuming its an OEM Stern.

It is the Stern one. I would just be really bothered looking at it in it's current state and I'm not going down the rabbit hole of trying to get it looking good through resin polishing.

I've been on the hunt for one of these for months, so extending my search for the foreseeable future won't kill me.

This hobby.

#7210 1 year ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

It is the Stern one. I would just be really bothered looking at it in it's current state and I'm not going down the rabbit hole of trying to get it looking good through resin polishing.
I've been on the hunt for one of these for months, so extending my search for the foreseeable future won't kill me.
This hobby.

I guess you have three options:

1) Contact Stern support to ask if they have a replacement unit in-hand, in-house right now. Explain the situation and see if Pablo can 'find' a new rod and send it to you now.
2) If #1 does not work, install the blemished one, and then ask Stern support to swap it when they get more in stock. You'll need just the rod for the replacement. This ASSUMES they will get more amber in stock...
3) If #2 feels like a loose end, ask for a refund and then wait for them to be available again and place another order. (Again, ASSUMES more will be coming)

Last I heard, there was another batch coming in November,

#7211 1 year ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

This hobby.

No rabbit hole, go for it!
See at 3:25

#7212 1 year ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

This hobby.

If you can get a decent discount as a refund, you could polish that out by chucking the rod into a drill and using some polishing compounds.

#7213 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

If you can get a decent discount as a refund, you could polish that out by chucking the rod into a drill and using some polishing compounds.

No dice on a discount.

Bon Voyage my amber friend. My our paths cross again someday.

#7214 1 year ago

I think, the amber shooter it's out of stock because they are manufacturing the new shooter for the Avangers, it's very similar to the JP

Screen-Shot-2020-09-02-at-3.44.56-PM (resized).png
#7215 1 year ago

Ive received a JP2 Stern from 24 August, ive put it already around 30 games, im waiting for a playfield protector, im trying to not play it a lot, hard to do

Star posts on the slings look very nice, not sinked into the clear, also they have already put some washers on some points of the playfield, dont know if this is normal...
Playfield looks very nice and still no dimples, but im sure i will have them, if i play with no playfield protector.

Other areas that i should look closer?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7216 1 year ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Ive received a JP2 Stern from 24 August, ive put it already around 30 games, im waiting for a playfield protector, im trying to not play it a lot, hard to do
Star posts on the slings look very nice, not sinked into the clear, also they have already put some washers on some points of the playfield, dont know if this is normal...
Playfield looks very nice and still no dimples, but im sure i will have them, if i play with no playfield protector.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My advice is wax that bad boy and play the hell out of it. Dimple schmimple....lol. Eventually dust gets under those protectors and will bug the hell out of you. Plus, they will get all scratched up eventually and look like rear end. I'm sure some here will have a different opinion, but the games are perfectly fine without a protector as long as you clean/wax/change balls and perform routine maintenance.

#7217 1 year ago
Quoted from Scribbles:

My advice is wax that bad boy and play the hell out of it. Dimple schmimple....lol. Eventually dust gets under those protectors and will bug the hell out of you. Plus, they will get all scratched up eventually and look like rear end. I'm sure some here will have a different opinion, but the games are perfectly fine without a protector as long as you clean/wax/change balls and perform routine maintenance.

If I could only thumbs this up 19 more times!

#7218 1 year ago

Forget that play field protector. Flip that game on and play the hell out of it!

#7219 1 year ago
Quoted from RGAires:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would just play the crap out of it and not worry. Turn down the trough kickout power for sure. I got chipping in my shooter lane the first night because I forgot about that. Turned it down and it hasn’t gotten any worse.
My build date is 2 days later than yours, We have had it for 8 days now, and I have 160 games on it and it still looks perfect. Many of the games from looking at the audits are 10+ and 15+ minute games.

#7220 1 year ago

I purchased this topper with my machine. It’s awesome, but unfortunately is too tall for where I’m putting the machine. PM me if you’re interested in it. I‘m open to offers. I know this one was made by tilt topper and isn’t made anymore. Not sure what they are going for now. I may end up holding on to it and trying to find a different spot for the machine. But if the price is right, I’ll sell it.

3E790AFB-A2E8-471B-AE1A-5B88296C80FA (resized).jpeg4B802809-D2DE-4BE7-97AE-F428BC4B3B07 (resized).jpeg7F40785E-C021-429E-B3D6-D397CA308BC5 (resized).jpeg93574C5A-1F53-4386-B738-AE52968866DC (resized).jpeg
#7221 1 year ago
Quoted from Scribbles:

There are any tutorial for clean and wax? What kind of product i must buy? What kind of balls? And in how many plays i must do the maintenance?

Regards!!!

#7222 1 year ago
Quoted from Galvez1978:

There are any tutorial for clean and wax? What kind of product i must buy? What kind of balls? And in how many plays i must do the maintenance?
Regards!!!

Naptha for cleaning playfields and rubber, Windex or your favorite glass cleaner for the glass and plastics, and a 100% Carnauba wax with no solvents.

#7223 1 year ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

Naptha for cleaning playfields and rubber, Windex or your favorite glass cleaner for the glass and plastics, and a 100% Carnauba wax with no solvents.

Wax i bought "Blitz Wax" but i don't know what it's "Napha" Can you send a link please, do not find anything about it.
About the balls i bought ultra shiny balls, i don't know were i read these are the best, and you must change the originals for these balls, it's correct or i'm wrong?

Thank you so much.

#7224 1 year ago
Quoted from Galvez1978:

Wax i bought "Blitz Wax" but i don't know what it's "Napha" Can you send a link please, do not find anything about it.
About the balls i bought ultra shiny balls, i don't know were i read these are the best, and you must change the originals for these balls, it's correct or i'm wrong?
Thank you so much.

55665-01-1000 (resized).jpg
#7225 1 year ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Look I do also hate those dimples, call me OCD, call me a fool, I do not like that cratered look in the light. So I also put Playfield protectors on all my new sterns. Some call me crazy, I do not care. They play great, they are fast, if you just clean them correct you will not even notice them, no dust etc. Very good product and peace of mind. If you do not like it, they can easily be removed. It will be hard not to play for a few days, but you will have that machine for a long time anyway so what is a few days of waiting.

Once Stern gets their act together on these playfields, I will not use the protector anymore. Untill then, protect and stay safe

#7226 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I would just play the crap out of it and not worry. Turn down the trough kickout power for sure. I got chipping in my shooter lane the first night because I forgot about that. Turned it down and it hasn’t gotten any worse.
My build date is 2 days later than yours, We have had it for 8 days now, and I have 160 games on it and it still looks perfect. Many of the games from looking at the audits are 10+ and 15+ minute games.

Turn down the trough kickout power?! You can do that in settings?

#7227 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Look I do also hate those dimples, call me OCD, call me a fool, I do not like that cratered look in the light. So I also put Playfield protectors on all my new sterns. Some call me crazy, I do not care. They play great, they are fast, if you just clean them correct you will not even notice them, no dust etc. Very good product and peace of mind. If you do not like it, they can easily be removed. It will be hard not to play for a few days, but you will have that machine for a long time anyway so what is a few days of waiting.
Once Stern gets their act together on these playfields, I will not use the protector anymore. Untill then, protect and stay safe

Thanks the way i fell it also, i prefer not have to put them... What is the average time to place it on this machine?

#7228 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Could you recommend an ideal trough kickout power?

#7229 1 year ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Turn down the trough kickout power?! You can do that in settings?

Yes. Game feature adjustment #306

Quoted from ReluctantPin:

...Just do some testing man. You want the bare minimum that gets the ball out on the first coil plunge without causing any issues. Mine is set to 190, so I guess start there.

#7230 1 year ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

2020 in a nutshell:[quoted image]

Absolutely return it. That's bad.

#7231 1 year ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Yes. Game feature adjustment #306

...Just do some testing man. You want the bare minimum that gets the ball out on the first coil plunge without causing any issues. Mine is set to 190, so I guess start there.

I have mine set at 195, so seems fairly consistent across machines. Also, I installed Cliffy shooter lane protector on the right and matching PBL lane protector on the left. They look perfect together. The only trick is to get the edges of the stainless steel 'just touching' the ball when it sits in the lane. Its really pretty obvious when installing it.

Update: I might lower it a hint more since I just checked the shooter lane this morning and I see just a bit of indentation on the stainless steel protector, so while its doing it job, the coil power level may still be a bit too high.

While-you-are-at-it: Once you find the coil setting for the trough, consider ALSO changing the power of the ball shooter autolaunch coil. Most people (including myself) have decreased that power to 200 or so and find the ball makes the half pipe consistently better with the power a bit lower.

#7232 1 year ago
Quoted from ReluctantPin:

I have mine at 195 and it seems to kick out consistently but not so hard that it’s chipping. I think the factory default was something like 225 or 220

#7233 1 year ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I have mine set at 195, so seems fairly consistent across machines. Also, I installed Cliffy shooter lane protector on the right and matching PBL lane protector on the left. They look perfect together. The only trick is to get the edges of the stainless steel 'just touching' the ball when it sits in the lane. Its really pretty obvious when installing it.
Update: I might lower it a hint more since I just checked the shooter lane this morning and I see just a bit of indentation on the stainless steel protector, so while its doing it job, the coil power level may still be a bit too high.
While-you-are-at-it: Once you find the coil setting for the trough, consider ALSO changing the power of the ball shooter autolaunch coil. Most people (including myself) have decreased that power to 200 or so and find the ball makes the half pipe consistently better with the power a bit lower.

Thanks! Super helpful, and will check that other setting too.

#7234 1 year ago

Forget the play field protector, and wax won’t do anything against dimples. I’ve found the dimples in this game quite hard to see because of the lighting and play field art. I suggest getting a shooter lane protector as you can get damage there within the first few plays.

#7235 1 year ago

My lower right flipper changed. New Pro was working great, then poof Barely enough power to launch ball up TRex ramp. I emailed Stern, haven’t heard back yet. Any thoughts? Both left and upper flipper power is fine.

#7236 1 year ago
Quoted from Powerhouse47:

My lower right flipper changed. New Pro was working great, then poof Barely enough power to launch ball up TRex ramp. I emailed Stern, haven’t heard back yet. Any thoughts? Both left and upper flipper power is fine.

Coil stop 100% . Easy fix. It's a common issue.

Well maybe not 100% but I bet that's the problem.

#7237 1 year ago
Quoted from Scribbles:

Coil stop 100% . Easy fix. It's a common issue.
Well maybe not 100% but I bet that's the problem.

That the little nub? Need to clean or replace?

#7238 1 year ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

What do you recommend for cleaning the steel ramps? Is Novus 1 ok? Will naphtha work on the stainless steel without harming?

Thx!

#7239 1 year ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Thx for the tip! I bought some replacement buttons from pinball life. I'm assuming they will work(even with the staged right side flipping for upper flipper)? I will try sanding the existing buttons though! My NIB Iron Maiden Premium had similar friction on the button press issues. Stern may have a bad 2018/19 run of those here and there.

#7240 1 year ago

Replace. Pinball life has them for around five dollars. I would replace all of them

#7241 1 year ago

It's the L-bracket with the nub attached to it. If you keyword search this forum topic for "coil stop" you'll see some posts where people showed pictures of them. When you check it, the nub could be a little bit loose or missing altogether (if it's missing then it's likely inside the coil). You'll need to remove the bracket to check it. The replacement part is the bracket with the nub attached, so it's a very easy part to replace.

#7242 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

It's the L-bracket with the nub attached to it. If you keyword search this forum topic for "coil stop" you'll see some posts where people showed pictures of them. When you check it, the nub could be a little bit loose or missing altogether (if it's missing then it's likely inside the coil). You'll need to remove the bracket to check it. The replacement part is the bracket with the nub attached, so it's a very easy part to replace.

When I replaced my left coil stop, the nub was missing and I put the new stop on without checking in the coil. I figured out where the nub went real quick when my flipper only moved about 1/4" inch. I had to redo my work to get the nub out of the coil.

#7243 1 year ago
Quoted from Scribbles:

When I replaced my left coil stop, the nub was missing and I put the new stop on without checking in the coil. I figured out where the nub went real quick when my flipper only moved about 1/4" inch. I had to redo my work to get the nub out of the coil.

I like nubs

#7244 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

This it?

Product ID: 515-6308-01
Flipper Coil Stop For Stern/Sega

#7245 1 year ago

This it?

Yup, that's the one. I just ordered 4 or 5 since I have multiple sterns. They usually dont fail, but stern has had an issue with them lately.

#7246 1 year ago

This it?

These stops are available from many sources, but they are not all the same! The part number is always listed as "515-6308-01" so that won't help you find any differences, but be advised: PinballLife has a better design version and are generally considered better than other versions, as they are designed and reinforced differently.

#7247 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I suggest getting a shooter lane protector as you can get damage there within the first few plays.

A bit alarmist are we??

Yes I have a bit of missing clearcoat but look at the number of plays... I lowered kicker power at around 500-600 plays.

1BC2C494-D592-4936-8418-22BA83B9A070 (resized).jpegBC42483D-E62C-498F-A321-504417E0F4AB (resized).jpeg

9A82977C-0753-4AC2-A744-22F6CE5B2469 (resized).jpeg
#7248 1 year ago

.. Double post

#7249 1 year ago

I would also advice a shooter lane protector before you shoot the first ball!!

This is my shooter lane after just a few games.

8F673C82-BD2A-4BB2-BCED-D812E67B9433 (resized).jpeg
#7250 1 year ago

I purchased 3 new coil stops from PBL in preparation for my JP coming in late October. My question is if anyone thinks Stern will have fixed their coil stop issues in the upcoming production run or should I just replace them day 1 as a preventative measure?

I've been in the hobby for about 5 years, and have never had one fail (never owned a Stern). Is this something common with them, or did they just have a bad batch?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Sale Pending! Machine - For Sale
Mt Vernon, IL
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 13,885 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 278.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!