(Topic ID: 248582)

Jurassic Park (Stern 2019 & 30th) Owners Club. Welcome! To Jurassic park.....

By CoolCatPinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21,175 posts
  • 1,406 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 hours ago by MiniPinHead
  • Topic is favorited by 761 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6528 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6527 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6519-ezgif.com-optimize.gif
IMG_6513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6509 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6508 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6507 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6521 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6511 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5725 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0818 (resized).JPG
IMG_0820 (resized).JPG
IMG_0819 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 21,175 posts in this topic. You are on page 131 of 424.
#6501 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Nice game!
Over on tilt forum, I did an approximate score breakdown from my best game ever on JP where I did all the things. Copy/pasted below:
******* http://tiltforums.com/t/stern-jurassic-park-rulesheet/5644/690 ********
My best at 8.7B was simply playing through the whole game: completing modes (getting fossils), going through all paddocks, keeping a long rescue streak going, good bonus, EB’s, and big payoffs at Visitor Center, Escape Nublar, and When Dinos Ruled the Earth. I also had an epic Secure Control Room that game of nearly 600M.
Rough point estimates (at base value – no 2x PF):
Good modes: around 100M for completed ones. T-Rex Rampage is uncapped, and can get around 200-250M. There are seven, so sub-total of 700M.
Finishing modes leads to Fossils, and wildcard fossils to fill in the gap. All fossils = 900M
Rescue Streak: If you choose the Right side first dino, if you get a Streak of 25, then you’ve scored close to 200M from your cumulative Rescue scores alone.
Dino captures, and some perfect paddocks. Around 60M for Dino bounties, and if I got Perfect Paddocks on around 2/3 of them, then that’s an additional 80M, for 140M.
Visitor Center bonus: if you’ve gotten a lot of Fossils, Rescue Streak, and decent DNA combos, along with max paddocks, then you can get 1B from just the initial bonus.
Secure Control Room: It’s typically only around 150M for me if I complete it, but I was on fire with 2x scoring running, and got almost 600M.
Escape Nublar: I wasn’t focused on time, so I went through more paddocks than needed, getting over 1B.
When Dinos: played it well for 1.4B.
Bonus: if you go through Super Preds, your BonusX and natural bonus from all the Rescues, Fossils, etc can add up to 200M per ball. Let’s assume 100M bonus on average, and I’d played a total of 6 balls, I believe, for 600M.
Using those rough estimates, that accounts for 6.6B of the score.

That's insane. I don't see myself ever reaching WDRTE. Even when I'm on the doorstep of Escape Nublar, I still have like 2 fossils captured at best.

Not exactly sure how you can control the ball enough to complete every mode in the game, as well as finish all the mini-wizards. Don't seem humanly possible, but then again, I'm not a competitive player and don't really aspire to be.

Curious to know what your ranking is. I imagine only those with super high rankings will ever see WDRTE, and that's probably what Keith intended.

#6502 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

That’s awesome! Once in awhile I try to nudge my 12 and 11 year olds to play a bit more, but they always gravitate back to the online video games.

That's why God invented Swiss boarding schools.

#6503 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Curious to know what your ranking is. I imagine only those with super high rankings will ever see WDRTE, and that's probably what Keith intended.

Let's just say, he's won a Pinburgh Championship

Snailman - Sure am looking forward to you kicking my butt on the regular again some day. I think I miss those monthly league days more than the actual tournaments.

#6504 3 years ago

Even when I'm on the doorstep of Escape Nublar, I still have like 2 fossils captured at best.

Fossils have nothing to do with WDRTE
Complete: SCR, MM, VC, EN. Still very difficult but it's not like IMDN where you need a near perfect game to get to RTTH

#6505 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

snailman - Sure am looking forward to you kicking my butt on the regular again some day. I think I miss those monthly league days more than the actual tournaments.

Now I don't feel so bad. Sounds like you're not too far from a Pinburgh title yourself!

#6506 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

snailman - Sure am looking forward to you kicking my butt on the regular again some day. I think I miss those monthly league days more than the actual tournaments.

Yeah, well in 2018 I played Snailman at Pinburgh and crushed him!
I went 7-5 in the round and he went 6-6. CRUSHED!*

*He still finished higher than me

#6507 3 years ago

Why are you guys being so evasive about who you are and what your ranking is.... or do you just enjoy making people feel inferior on random websites?

#6508 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Why are you guys being so evasive about who you are and what your ranking is.... or do you just enjoy making people feel inferior on random websites?

"Random websites" is an interesting way to label the most heavily trafficked pinball website.

#6509 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

"Random websites" is an interesting way to label the most heavily trafficked pinball website.

Okay, thrill me. Thrill us.

#6510 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Why are you guys being so evasive about who you are and what your ranking is....

I'm not evasive about who I am. https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?player_id=10903
85vett was merely being respectful about online anonymity when talking about others.

#6511 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Complete: SCR, MM, VC, EN. Still very difficult

Agreed. When Dino's isn't on par with RTTH... it's a nice cherry on top of an already awesome sundae.
To me, the most difficult aspect of the 4 elements needed for When Dino's is completing Secure Control Room -- it's single-ball mode without a very long ball-save, and unlike Museum Mayhem, requires making all the difficult shots once.

One of the key elements that's helped me get better at SCR is realizing that there's a longer timer than you think for each shot of SCR (30 seconds, and 38 sec if you captured the TRex). The music, hurry-up value countdown, and lights do a great job of building panic and anxiety during SCR, inducing a brick-fest if you don't keep yourself level-headed and in the flow.

#6512 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I'm not evasive about who I am. https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?player_id=10903
85vett was merely being respectful about online anonymity when talking about others.

17th place... Not bad.

My ranking has 5 digits, so I'm just going to tell myself that the higher number is better

#6513 3 years ago

Not exactly sure how you can control the ball enough to complete every mode in the game, as well as finish all the mini-wizards.

You've hit the nail on the head. The way that Elwin has designed the tight shots in this game, and the rules for finishing modes, if you're not playing controlled pinball, then it will be incredibly difficult to have games where you succeed at completing multiple modes and all three mini-wizards in the same game.
You need the full arsenal of flipper control moves in Jurassic Park -- except for loop passes.

I think that the toughest mode/multiball to complete (and earn the Fossil) in JP is Chaos MB. Thank goodness for wildcard fossils!

#6514 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

You've hit the nail on the head. The way that Elwin has designed the tight shots in this game, and the rules for finishing modes, if you're not playing controlled pinball, then it will be incredibly difficult to have games where you succeed at completing multiple modes and all three mini-wizards in the same game.
You need the full arsenal of flipper control moves in Jurassic Park -- except for loop passes.
I think that the toughest mode/multiball to complete (and earn the Fossil) in JP is Chaos MB. Thank goodness for wildcard fossils!

85vett Snailman ectobar thank you for sharing you insight, it not only helps us understand the game and scoring better but it also motivates us to improve our skills and get more out of the game. It's really appreciated guys!! Thank you

#6515 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Why don't you guys record these games and pop them on Youtube?

Karl does a lot of videos and you learn a lot from watching them, but you also realize you suck haha.

#6516 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Snailman hit it. I generally don't use my friends real names on forums out of respect for their privacy. Nothing more, didn't intend for it to be taken as crappy so I do apologize if it came off that way. I wanted to say something so WizardsCastle had a real good hint snailman is no joke and not to feel bad for not scoring like him.

As for me. Generally nobody cares who I am. I've never won anything but some local league events. Probably won't ever win a tournament as I'm to inconsistent at that super high level. I do like to make people squirm though. On my good days I'll give anyone a run for there money. Bad days, well not so much Here is me - https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=13559

#6517 3 years ago

Why don't you guys record these games and pop them on Youtube?
Karl does a lot of videos and you learn a lot from watching them, but you also realize you suck haha.

I'd really love to but the cost to get a decent rig is crazy. I've got an old camcorder I could try but it would probably look pretty lame.

#6518 3 years ago

I just got stern shooter rod. Can someone tell me where to plug in the wire? Do I need to buy any wires to connect to it? I tried searching the forum but couldn’t find any instructions. Thanks

#6519 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

I just got stern shooter rod. Can someone tell me where to plug in the wire? Do I need to buy any wires to connect to it? I tried searching the forum but couldn’t find any instructions. Thanks

CN15. It is right next to where the shaker motor plugs in.

#6520 3 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

CN15. It is right next to where the shaker motor plugs in.

The wire that comes with the shooter is short and won’t reach it. Any link or where I can get wire from?

#6521 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

The wire that comes with the shooter is short and won’t reach it. Any link or where I can get wire from?

That seems awfully cheesy of them. Did it come with any instructions? Maybe there is another place they are picking up power. Does the plug match that of CN15?

I ordered a shaker motor from a reputable distributor not long ago. It came with a wire too short as well. I think it was designed for a pre-Spike game, where the motor would go on the left side of the cabinet. Stern was supposed to include an extension jumper. After I e-mailed to make sure I wasn't sold the wrong part, the distro said that they were having Stern send me the extension. After waiting several weeks, I took matters into my own hands. I cut the wires in the middle, and soldered in about a foot of wire.

#6522 3 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

That seems awfully cheesy of them. Did it come with any instructions? Maybe there is another place they are picking up power. Does the plug match that of CN15?
I ordered a shaker motor from a reputable distributor not long ago. It came with a wire too short as well. I think it was designed for a pre-Spike game, where the motor would go on the left side of the cabinet. Stern was supposed to include an extension jumper. After I e-mailed to make sure I wasn't sold the wrong part, the distro said that they were having Stern send me the extension. After waiting several weeks, I took matters into my own hands. I cut the wires in the middle, and soldered in about a foot of wire.

My bad. Just found the wire in the box

#6523 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

My bad. Just found the wire in the box

heres-your-sign (resized).jpgheres-your-sign (resized).jpg
#6524 3 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

just adjust the switch

Quoted from jlock:

I have had the same issue. Adjusting the switch helped a lot but did not completely solve. It seems that it could ultimately be solved 100% via switch adjustment but it has been more elusive than I would have expected.

Yep, was totally the switch, the gate barely had to move to trigger the switch. I tweaked the switch arm up so the gate has to move way farther now.

#6526 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

snailman hit it. I generally don't use my friends real names on forums out of respect for their privacy. Nothing more, didn't intend for it to be taken as crappy so I do apologize if it came off that way. I wanted to say something so WizardsCastle had a real good hint snailman is no joke and not to feel bad for not scoring like him.
As for me. Generally nobody cares who I am. I've never won anything but some local league events. Probably won't ever win a tournament as I'm to inconsistent at that super high level. I do like to make people squirm though. On my good days I'll give anyone a run for there money. Bad days, well not so much Here is me - https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=13559

I had to change my pinside account twice because of the pinball Betty’s (groupies) hounding me

#6527 3 years ago

Just got my Pro! Any thoughts on where I should level the bubble? I have 2 boys 8-12 years old. Want to keep it not too fast.

#6528 3 years ago
Quoted from Powerhouse47:

Just got my Pro! Any thoughts on where I should level the bubble? I have 2 boys 8-12 years old. Want to keep it not too fast.

Perhaps 6.0 ... it will slow it down a bit

#6529 3 years ago

The game was designed for 7 degrees, and people seem to find the sweet spot around 6.8-7.0 degrees. Load the inclinometer on your phone - it'll help ensure the game is level left to right, as well as get the slope more accurate.

If you reduce the pitch of the PF, it'll make the lower edge targets (control room and "S") much harder to hit. It'll also introduce more lateral ball movement, so while it may slow the ball slightly I'm not sure that it'll make it easier for your boys

#6530 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The game was designed for 7 degrees...

Where are you getting that from? Manual says 6.5 degrees.

#6531 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Perhaps 6.0 ... it will slow it down a bit

Perfect setting and the boys will adapt quickly !enjoy!

#6532 3 years ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

In one of KME’s interviews he stated that he designed the game to be set at 7.0*.

#6533 3 years ago

Download the PinGuy app which lets you set the exact incline on your machine, just lay down your phone on the play died near the flippers

#6534 3 years ago

Thanks all! I’m fairly new to pinball. This has been great. Any hopes that the Amber Shooter or Tooper will be made available again soon? Or does Stern do a one-time run of those things?

#6535 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

In one of KME’s interviews he stated that he designed the game to be set at 7.0*.

Does anyone have a link to this? Email Stern and ask them, and they'll tell you 6.5 all day long.

I've had my game at 6.5 from day one as I do with all my games, and the side to side action is super challenging to control. I set my game to about 6.8-7 this past week, and I find it significantly easier to play because the side drains are easier to defend.

#6536 3 years ago

Or maybe we can put this to rest with an official response here for everyone...

sk8ball what is the angle you recommend setting this game at?

#6537 3 years ago

Or maybe we can put this to rest with an official response here for everyone...
sk8ball what is the angle you recommend setting this game at?

If you’re enjoying it at 6.5* then leave it at 6.5*.

#6538 3 years ago

My thoughts: tinker with it to adjust the pitch and flipper power settings until you find a setup that you like for making the various shots. It doesn't matter what those pitch and flipper power settings are because every machine is sitting on a different floor surface and people's preferences will vary. It only matters that the shots are makable on your machine with a setup that you're happy with.

#6539 3 years ago

1 degree makes a huge difference and using Keiths recommendation of 7.0 is a good starting point. Why should you start from 6.5 or lower if the designer of this game himself says its made for 7.0

#6540 3 years ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Yes I believe Keith (the JP designer) mentioned it in an interview that the game had been designed to be played at 7 degrees and this is where people have found all the shots are achievable - that said every game is different and so some people find it better dialed in for example at 6.8 for their specific machine. At the end of the day you need to find that sweet spot for your machine. If your boys are anything like my son, they'll quickly master the timing and shots, so I wouldn't be trying to lower the pitch to try to slow the ball, as you may simply make it much harder to play and your boys may not find it as much fun. If you can easily make all the shots, then it'll be easy for you boys to learn the fun that is pinball.

Hope this helps

#6541 3 years ago

If you want to help your boys close the outlanes

#6542 3 years ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

1 degree makes a huge difference and using Keiths recommendation of 7.0 is a good starting point. Why should you start from 6.5 or lower if the designer of this game himself says its made for 7.0

I think the original poster was asking about how to set the game to run slower for her young kids. 7.0 is the 'factory' spec for typical adult play, but something less inclined will slow it down as desired for a young kid. That said, whatever it is set to initially, I am sure we would all recommend getting back to the 7.0 as the author designed as soon as comfortable.

#6543 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

My personal opinion is to never "close" outlanes (assuming you meant to rubber band them completely closed -- vs. changing to narrowest opening is a good idea here) even for the most beginner and young player. It's important for players to get used to the geometry of the game, and the cause/effect of drains happening from going out the sides.

Instead, for beginner/young players, I prefer to put the initial ball-save at max time, and also increase the # of balls per game to max.
Just another option to consider.

#6544 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

My personal opinion is to never "close" outlanes (assuming you meant to rubber band them completely closed -- vs. changing to narrowest opening is a good idea here) even for the most beginner and young player. It's important for players to get used to the geometry of the game, and the cause/effect of drains happening from going out the sides.
Instead, for beginner/young players, I prefer to put the initial ball-save at max time, and also increase the # of balls per game to max.

Works great for adults too

#6545 3 years ago

Regarding the playfield pitch, there was some discussion of this in the JP Premium owner's club. Here is an example where someone spoke with Mike Vinikour at Stern regarding the angle.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6546 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I meant just putting them at the narrowest setting

#6547 3 years ago

I am selling a really nice DE Jurassic park if anyone Is interested in pairing them up.

I also have a lot of mods for sale (over $2000 worth) that could work on either pin. PM me if your interested.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/101109

#6548 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Yes. For sure.

#6549 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

I don't mean to brag, but I'm in the top 15...

...thousand.

#6550 3 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

I don't mean to brag, but I'm in the top 15...
...thousand.

Made my day.

I guess I came off a bit *cough* harsh but I’m going to blame it on the bourbon and just make a general apology to all - sorry for acting like a jerk, Pinside.... please carry on smartly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
Plastics
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, IL
$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Playfields
$ 12,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Inver Grove Heights, MN
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
There are 21,175 posts in this topic. You are on page 131 of 424.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/131 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.