Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

61F211B5-ACB0-40B5-9E41-C174FCF80103 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I have been trying to get this thing working 100% and I think I am down to the last thing.. I hope. The music all of a sudden cuts off every time tribal is initiated and will not come back on until you lose that ball and start a new one. All sound effects still work but no music. Going through the sound test everything appears to work just fine. Music only cuts off when triball is activated. I also removed the smaller ribbon cable and reattached. Any ideas? I literally have no idea where to start on this one!

#2 5 years ago

I had the same issues after modding my JP, problem is i was drawing too much power and everytime i hit the flippers or tri ball the sound would cut out. I added a external power supply to power the mods and the problem went away, im betting its something along those lines.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Texastravis:

I have been trying to get this thing working 100% and I think I am down to the last thing.. I hope. The music all of a sudden cuts off every time tribal is initiated and will not come back on until you lose that ball and start a new one. All sound effects still work but no music. Going through the sound test everything appears to work just fine. Music only cuts off when triball is activated. I also removed the smaller ribbon cable and reattached. Any ideas? I literally have no idea where to start on this one!

Assuming you don't have any mods in the game, try reseating the sound board ribbon cable at the sound board and at the MPU board.

#4 5 years ago

Even without mods he may not be getting enough power, whenever there is a strain i would get audio clipping with just brite buttons. They more i added the worse it became.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys. I do not have any mods. I did somewhat recently swap out all the lighting with LEDs but I would think this would decrease the power requirement... unless this is completely stand alone from the sound power somehow?

I wonder if I should test my power supply somehow? Or perhaps boost it somehow to see if that fixes it.

I already disconnected the ribbon connector and reconnected it. Not sure if there is anything special I should of done though. None of the pin connectors looked dirty or burnt.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Texastravis:

I already disconnected the ribbon connector and reconnected it

At the MPU too?

#7 5 years ago

I'd consider recapping the power supply board and sound board if no connection issues are found.

#8 5 years ago

I disconnected and reconnected both ends of the ribbon cable. I have seen the term "recapping" before but not sure what it means. I will have to do a bit of research on power suppliers I guess.

#9 5 years ago

Ok recapping looks like replacing the capacitors. Anyway to know which one to replace? A whole kit to replace them all appears to be about $60 but for $100-$120 I could get another board all together looks like. hmm

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Texastravis:

Ok recapping looks like replacing the capacitors. Anyway to know which one to replace? A whole kit to replace them all appears to be about $60 but for $100-$120 I could get another board all together looks like. hmm

The caps are now 25 years old so I'd recommend doing a whole kit. How much experience do you have with soldering/whats your comfort level?

#11 5 years ago

I have never seen a capacitor kit for a DE power supply. I always bought each capacitor separately, which should not really be but about $30 from Mouser.com. I prefer the XPIN power supply over the Rottendog.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I have never seen a capacitor kit for a DE power supply. I always bought each capacitor separately, which should not really be but about $30 from Mouser.com. I prefer the XPIN power supply over the Rottendog.

Yorktown here has them https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1129-yorktown-parts-and-equip/01824-data-east-pinball-power-supply-rebuild-capacitor-kit

#13 5 years ago

Nice easy purchase. Just a note...a few of these are not easy to remove without upping the temperature.

#14 5 years ago

In case you want to go the route of a new XPIN power supply, they are on sale this weekend.

XPIN Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sale
10% OFF storewide AND Free Shipping! Use code BFCM2018 at checkout!
Starts now. Valid through midnight November 27th. Valid ONLY on in-stock products. MUST use coupon code at checkout. xpinpinball.com

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Nice easy purchase. Just a note...a few of these are not easy to remove without upping the temperature.

Agreed, I'm hesitant to recommend pulling snap caps to anyone inexperienced with desoldering which is why I asked his comfort level. The xpin might be the better solution for him.

#16 5 years ago

You also could send it to ChrisHibler for repair. He'll be happy to quote you.

#17 5 years ago

Wow thanks for all the info. I am decent at soldering and desoldering, not a pro though. This cyber Monday deal though at XPIN is quite tempting... although I am not sure which one I need? Which board could replace the JP oem?

#18 5 years ago

Looks like it is the XP-DE5047 for $140 so $126 with free shipping for Cyber monday. OR replace all caps with a $30-$40 kit. Hmm I think I may get the replacement bc my PS also has a few burnt connectors on it. I actually hope this solves my issue though haha.

#19 5 years ago

This is probably your problem.

61F211B5-ACB0-40B5-9E41-C174FCF80103 (resized).jpeg61F211B5-ACB0-40B5-9E41-C174FCF80103 (resized).jpeg
#20 5 years ago

I had random sound drops (and a few mid-game resets). I noticed a burnt C1 connector. Changed that out and it fixed the random sound drops/resets I had.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CKWMS

#21 5 years ago

I had this problem too btw. I replaced the power board and all was fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-sound-cutting-off and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.