Dscf6606 (resized).jpg
Img_4557 (resized).jpg
Img_4551 (resized).jpg
Dscf6565 (resized).jpg
Dscf6586 (resized).jpg
Dscf6566 (resized).jpg
Img_4640 (resized).jpg
Dscf6538 (resized).jpg

There are 626 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.
#301 6 years ago

Got the other side of the main cabinet and one side of the backbox cleared.
Dscf5864 (resized).jpgDscf5864 (resized).jpgDscf5862 (resized).jpgDscf5862 (resized).jpg

I am targeting next Thursday or Friday for the final clear to the cabinet.

#302 6 years ago

Oh man, that's nice!

#303 6 years ago

I took all the black vinyl covering off all the side rails. I will fill and sand back to new. Then I will have to decide if I cover them again in black vinyl or paint them. I haven't decided yet. IMG_3925 (resized).JPGIMG_3925 (resized).JPG

I also cleaned up the wiring. Man that stuff was dirty.

#304 6 years ago

Dude get some Reese rails you went whole hog on everything else!

The cab looks amazing. At first I thought it was messed up them I realized I was looking at the reflection in the ceiling. Awesome work!

#305 6 years ago

I would paint them black and clearcoat them. I feel like vinyl wrapping was a cheapo manufacturing shortcut that does not deserve to be reproduced in a fine restoration/upgrade like yours. Look at older a.m. games. They had real oak rails. Later games had pine or some other lesser species of wood wrapped in a vinyl printed with an oak pattern. Colors and black vinyl were just more of the same. Plus, based on your excellent cabinet work, it will look SO much better painted and cleared.

#306 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I would paint them black and clearcoat them. I feel like vinyl wrapping was a cheapo manufacturing shortcut that does not deserve to be reproduced in a fine restoration/upgrade like yours. Look at older a.m. games. They had real oak rails. Later games had pine or some other lesser species of wood wrapped in a vinyl printed with an oak pattern. Colors and black vinyl were just more of the same. Plus, based on your excellent cabinet work, it will look SO much better painted and cleared.

That is probably what I will do. I will just need to fix a few areas with wood epoxy amd the decide what finish of black I want to use.

#307 6 years ago

Man that's looking nice...wish mine was that shiny!

#308 6 years ago

The original side rails are vinyl wrapped? I never noticed. I thought they were powder-coated?

Love that shine! Man, I need to start tearing mine down and doing a good once over. Putting parts in the tumbler, replacing the plastics with the repro's, and swapping out some other things. Got a list of things I'd like to do. I've been playing it less lately, so I probably wouldn't mind if it was out of commision for a while.

#309 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

The original side rails are vinyl wrapped? I never noticed. I thought they were powder-coated?

I guess I should have said playfield side rails. These are the ones that are attached to the playfield.
The cabinet side rails are powder coated.

#310 6 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I guess I should have said playfield side rails. These are the ones that are attached to the playfield.
The cabinet side rails are powder coated.

Oh, gotcha! I know what you're talking about now. I was trying to figure out if it was something else, and couldn't for the life of me think of what was vinyl wrapped in mine.

#311 6 years ago

Got the rest of the cabinet cleared today. Already picked up part of my powder coated parts and should get the rest in a couple of days.
Dscf5870 (resized).jpgDscf5870 (resized).jpgDscf5867 (resized).jpgDscf5867 (resized).jpg

#312 6 years ago

Wow, looks amazing.

#313 6 years ago

Soooo what's the deposit needed to reserve my place in line for my JP and/or BTTF resto

#314 6 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Soooo what's the deposit needed to reserve my place in line for my JP and/or BTTF resto

Lol.
Maybe some day I will do other people's games but I have too many of my own waiting right now.

#315 6 years ago

Can we talk you down to "guy who sells the vinyl side art", cause I'm not relishing the prospect of hand-painting all those happy little trees on the backboard.

#316 6 years ago
Quoted from flakeloaf:

....painting all those happy little trees on the backboard.

An echo of Bob Ross on pinside.

#317 6 years ago

I picked up the rest of my powder coated parts today.

I also got distracted by a new toy today that I hope will come in handy in the future.

Dscf5871 (resized).jpgDscf5871 (resized).jpg

#318 6 years ago

Did a few odds and ends today. I went with a dark grey for the transformer.
I sanded down the exterior to get all the grime off.
Dscf5872 (resized).jpgDscf5872 (resized).jpgDscf5873 (resized).jpgDscf5873 (resized).jpgDscf5878 (resized).jpgDscf5878 (resized).jpg

All the vent screens will be red facing the outside and normal color on the inside.
Dscf5880 (resized).jpgDscf5880 (resized).jpgDscf5881 (resized).jpgDscf5881 (resized).jpg

I had the metal backbox panel powder coated red. the pictures make it look a little orange but it is red.
I put screws and washers in all the mounting holes so powder would not get on them.
Dscf5875 (resized).jpgDscf5875 (resized).jpg
Dscf5876 (resized).jpgDscf5876 (resized).jpg

I took them all out to reveal a nice clean metal area for good grounding.
Dscf5877 (resized).jpgDscf5877 (resized).jpgDscf5879 (resized).jpgDscf5879 (resized).jpg

I also got the CPU out and reflowed a few spots and tested a few things. I plan on doing all my initial testing with the original code and when everything looks like its good to go I will change to Chads code.

#320 6 years ago

Ok, I have to talk about how much fun I am having with this 3D printer. Did some experimenting with lithographs and I am amazed. To tie this all to Jurassic Park, I took an image of the backglass and converted it to a lithograph and printed it out.
Dscf5883 (resized).jpgDscf5883 (resized).jpg

Now you take that piece of plastic and hold it up to some backlighting and it turns into a black and white photograph.
Freaking cool
Dscf5884 (resized).jpgDscf5884 (resized).jpg

Now I have it printing an actual part for this machine. More on that later.

#321 6 years ago

Finished up the cabinet today. I sanded a few imperfections and then buffed it to a high shine.
Dscf5890 (resized).jpgDscf5890 (resized).jpgDscf5891 (resized).jpgDscf5891 (resized).jpgDscf5892 (resized).jpgDscf5892 (resized).jpg

Dscf5893 (resized).jpgDscf5893 (resized).jpgDscf5894 (resized).jpgDscf5894 (resized).jpgDscf5896 (resized).jpgDscf5896 (resized).jpg

I also started prototyping some stuff. Here is the first print of the East Dock sign. I am going to make some changes before I do a final print but just working out the details now.
Dscf5895 (resized).jpgDscf5895 (resized).jpg

And I just had to make one of these for my gameroom. The vials should be here tomorrow and I just have to modify a Barbasol can. Oh, and it works too
Dscf5889 (resized).jpgDscf5889 (resized).jpg

#322 6 years ago

Holy shnikies that 3d printing is cool! The cabinet looks amazing you should security check your guests for watches, rings and belt buckles at the door!

Also you should probably make a few extra dock signs or even barbasol cans for your fellow pin heads to buy.

#323 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Holy shnikies that 3d printing is cool! The cabinet looks amazing you should security check your guests for watches, rings and belt buckles at the door!
Also you should probably make a few extra dock signs or even barbasol cans for your fellow pin heads to buy.

+1

#324 6 years ago

Cabinet turned out plain awesome!

#325 6 years ago

Cabinet is looking sick! Going to bring this to TPF?

#326 6 years ago
Quoted from bflagg:

Cabinet is looking sick! Going to bring this to TPF?

Thanks

Yes. This will be at TPF.

#327 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Thanks for the kind words. That is one of the reasons I got the printer was to do some things like this. Once I get things situated, I plan on making stuff that will be available.

#328 6 years ago

Wow, awesome work.

#329 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

#330 6 years ago

I didn't have a lot of time today but I was able to get a few things done. Started by laying out some of the powder coating and matching what hardware goes to what piece.
Dscf5898 (resized).jpgDscf5898 (resized).jpg

Then I used my brass wire wheel to clean up the black bolts for the playfield supports, lockdown bar receiver and the side rails. Then painted with a gloss enamel. These will be ready to install tomorrow.
Dscf5897 (resized).jpgDscf5897 (resized).jpg
Dscf5907 (resized).jpgDscf5907 (resized).jpg

Then I replaced the original leg bolt brackets with the new and improved version. You can see by the following picture why its easy to strip these out.
Dscf5899 (resized).jpgDscf5899 (resized).jpg
Dscf5900 (resized).jpgDscf5900 (resized).jpg

I mounted the metal backboard in the backbox along with the vent grill. I painted the grill on the outside but no the inside. I wanted it to be dark in the inside. I did the same with the main cab grills as well.
Dscf5901 (resized).jpgDscf5901 (resized).jpgDscf5904 (resized).jpgDscf5904 (resized).jpgDscf5905 (resized).jpgDscf5905 (resized).jpg

Got a few more things installed in the main cab.
Dscf5906 (resized).jpgDscf5906 (resized).jpg

#331 6 years ago

The backbox lock had some rust on it so I soaked it in Apple Cider vinegar.
Dscf5908 (resized).jpgDscf5908 (resized).jpg

The used a wire brush on it and it turned out pretty nice for a normal machine but I am gonna send it out for powder.
Dscf5909 (resized).jpgDscf5909 (resized).jpg

I forgot to clean the powder off the metal backbox panel for grounding. I took it off and fixed that. I am mounting the grounds on the backside instead of the front for a cleaner look.
Dscf5910 (resized).jpgDscf5910 (resized).jpg

I got MOST of the new grounding braid installed. I say most because 15 feet is not enough to do a machine.
I guess I should have done a little more research on that.

Some of the braids had connecters on them so I had some connectors that I modified to add to the new braid.
Dscf5911 (resized).jpgDscf5911 (resized).jpg

Here are some shots of the rest of the cabinet. I will run the long braid from the power plug to the front when I get some more braid.
Dscf5916 (resized).jpgDscf5916 (resized).jpgDscf5917 (resized).jpgDscf5917 (resized).jpgDscf5914 (resized).jpgDscf5914 (resized).jpg

The braids that are hanging on the sides will be mounted when the playfield supports are attached.
Dscf5915 (resized).jpgDscf5915 (resized).jpg

#332 6 years ago

Got a few more things done this evening.

Nothing like something spilled on the inside of a machine.
Dscf5921 (resized).jpgDscf5921 (resized).jpg
Dscf5922 (resized).jpgDscf5922 (resized).jpg

Got the metal back installed in the backbox with the grounding points attached.
Dscf5923 (resized).jpgDscf5923 (resized).jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the main cab with a few more things installed. The flash kinda washed out some of the red but you get the idea.
Dscf5924 (resized).jpgDscf5924 (resized).jpgDscf5925 (resized).jpgDscf5925 (resized).jpg

#333 6 years ago

Steady progress always nice to see the before and after pics, awesome work!

#334 6 years ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

Steady progress always nice to see the before and after pics, awesome work!

Thanks. Its kinda funny because I have to use my original pictures as a guide to put it back together. Im looking at those pictures now and thinking to myself. "What the heck was I thinking?"

I got a few things done today. I cleaned up the cable mounts and mounted "big blue' and his friends.
Dscf5926 (resized).jpgDscf5926 (resized).jpg

Spent the rest of my time working with the 3D printer and running several test prints of some mods I am going to develop to get the best setting for the highest quality. Even working with some transparent orange plastic. Hmmm.

#335 6 years ago

Dang your JP is going to put mine to same at the TPF. I better add more mods LOL. Your cabinet and powder coated parts looks great!

#336 6 years ago
Quoted from C65Mustang:

Dang your JP is going to put mine to same at the TPF. I better add more mods LOL. Your cabinet and powder coated parts looks great!

Thanks.
TPF is a blast. Hope to talk to you there.

#337 6 years ago
Quoted from C65Mustang:

Dang your JP is going to put mine to same at the TPF.

Yeah, thanks a lot Lonny! My JP will have to stay home now...

#338 6 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Yeah, thanks a lot Lonny! My JP will have to stay home now...

Come on man. Most of this is your fault for guilting me into going all in on this one by looking at your LW3.

#339 6 years ago

Got the static prototype of the East Dock sign done. I will be making several improvements and will make it interactive with my machine. I will probably make the pole a little more beefy and the actual east dock sign is painted black on the edges in this version but will be printed in black for the final version. I will also be making a custom mount so it will be mounted to an existing screw/post.

Dscf5929 (resized).jpgDscf5929 (resized).jpg

#340 6 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Got the static prototype of the East Dock sign done. I will be making several improvements and will make it interactive with my machine. I will probably make the pole a little more beefy and the actual east dock sign is painted black on the edges in this version but will be printed in black for the final version. I will also be making a custom mount so it will be mounted to an existing screw/post.

Where is the "buy it now" button?

#341 6 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

and will make it interactive with my machine.

Are you going to get a "frustrated Nedry" character that spins the arrow?

#342 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Are you going to get a "frustrated Nedry" character that spins the arrow?

Still working out the details.

#343 6 years ago

Got back to the playfield and finished a few things. I had to add the black outline and effects to the pop pumper lane.
Dscf5930 (resized).jpgDscf5930 (resized).jpgDscf5931 (resized).jpgDscf5931 (resized).jpg

When the red was painted on the shooter lane the black inner lines were covered slightly so after the decal was put on, they were a little thinner than original.
Dscf5932 (resized).jpgDscf5932 (resized).jpg

Added the friskit and used a new Xacto blade to cut the new lines.
Dscf5933 (resized).jpgDscf5933 (resized).jpgDscf5934 (resized).jpgDscf5934 (resized).jpgDscf5935 (resized).jpgDscf5935 (resized).jpg

There is only one thing left to do and that is the wood grain on the shooter lane. I have never done that before so I am not sure how this will work out. I am going to practice on paper and if it doesn't work out then I just wont do it because I think it looks ok now.

After that its to the point where I just sit and stare at the playfield and see if I can find anything to do. I want to get the last layer on so it can cure while I finish the cabinet.

#344 6 years ago

Very nice Lonzo!

#345 6 years ago

The last big thing with the playfield is the wood grain in the shooter lane. I have never attempted this before so I was not confident in the results but I figured I would give it a shot since I can always sand it off.

This was my second attempt this because I wasn't happy with the first try but I learned a little that helped me do it again. I started off by brushing on some Transparent Createx Wicked colors paint. Hang with me here because it doesn't look good at the start.
Dscf5938 (resized).jpgDscf5938 (resized).jpg

Then when the paint is dry, I took a wet sponge and wiped from the top to the bottom. I also used my glove covered finger to blend the areas and soften them up.
Dscf5939 (resized).jpgDscf5939 (resized).jpg

Close up of this area.
Dscf5940 (resized).jpgDscf5940 (resized).jpg

I felt like it needed something else and to be a little more of a rich color.
I put Friskit on the lane and trimmed it out to paint the center.

Dscf5941 (resized).jpgDscf5941 (resized).jpg

Then I took the same brown transparent paint and did some airbrushing. I did some soft outlines around the existing brown that I brushed earlier. Then I put a soft full coat of the transparent on the entire lane to richen up the color and help blend the wood grain.
Dscf5942 (resized).jpgDscf5942 (resized).jpg
Dscf5943 (resized).jpgDscf5943 (resized).jpgDscf5944 (resized).jpgDscf5944 (resized).jpg

For a first attempt I think I just lucked out.

I might do a few more very minor things on the playfield and my plan is to do the final clear tomorrow.

#346 6 years ago

Outstanding.

#347 6 years ago

Hot damn! That's pretty convincing.

#348 6 years ago

Thanks everyone.

I decided to take care of a couple things that I originally was not going to do. That OCD thing again.

I added the fluorescent orange to the T-Rex head.
Dscf5945 (resized).jpgDscf5945 (resized).jpgDscf5946 (resized).jpgDscf5946 (resized).jpgDscf5947 (resized).jpgDscf5947 (resized).jpg

Then I decided to fix the damage on the right up-kicker/ramp mount. I originally wasn't going to do this because this area is hidden by plastics. But I thought about what if someone was standing to the side and watching someone play? They could probably look down and see that damage. I couldn't spend this much time on this and then leave that to be possibly seen by someone so I decided to fix it. I filled in the damage area with clear back on the first layer so the area is completely smooth, it just doesn't look that good. I worked a while and mixed a paint that matched the white. If this area was on the playfield I would paint the entire area but since it is mostly covered, I decided to Frisket the area bidder than what I needed and smaller then the entire area. I also used screws and post mounts as a dividing area. This will allow me to feather the paint out and not have to paint the entire area.
Dscf5948 (resized).jpgDscf5948 (resized).jpgDscf5949 (resized).jpgDscf5949 (resized).jpg

Added the black before I took the picture.
Dscf5950 (resized).jpgDscf5950 (resized).jpg

Unless something jumps out at me tomorrow before I clear, the playfield is done. And to tell you the truth, I am glad. And I bet most of you are too.
Sorry it has taken me so long. I am ready to move on to the next phase which is probably my favorite part. Due to unforeseen family medical issues over the last year and a half, this has taken way longer than it should have but the important thing is Dad is doing better so that makes the delay worth it.

The plan is to clear tomorrow and then get back to work on the cabinet.

#349 6 years ago

Are you going to install the TRex mod that actually looks like the TRex from the movie? I always thought that looked really nice, but have never seen one in person.

#350 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Are you going to install the TRex mod that actually looks like the TRex from the movie? I always thought that looked really nice, but have never seen one in person.

Absolutely. I have Seial number #8 trying to eat his way out of the box. Many mods along with some custom stuff will be going on this machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Oakhurst, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenville, OH
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms
Other
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 49.99
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
There are 626 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-restoration/page/7?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.