New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 169818)

Jurassic Park Restoration

By Lonzo

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 626 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Lonzo
  • Topic is favorited by 100 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,032 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0b2caead9e2b7e45eddb4680c5ef8b8a304888ec5d35de44a4857ded104cb120 (resized).jpg
JurassicPark-189x300 (resized).png
grand_champion_300-237x300 (resized).jpg
Dscf6599 (resized).jpg
Dscf6604 (resized).jpg
Dscf6603 (resized).jpg
Dscf6598 (resized).jpg
Dscf6607 (resized).jpg
Dscf6606 (resized).jpg
Img_4557 (resized).jpg
Img_4551 (resized).jpg
Dscf6565 (resized).jpg
Dscf6586 (resized).jpg
Dscf6566 (resized).jpg
Img_4640 (resized).jpg
Dscf6538 (resized).jpg

There are 626 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 13.
#201 3 years ago

Cabinet is set up for clear tomorrow.

Got the cabinet decals cut tonight. I will weed them later.
Dscf5606 (resized).jpgDscf5607 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#203 3 years ago

Been a little bit since I updated. I did clear the cabinet last week. I had an issue with the backbox. I have been trying to get this machine done for TPF and it was a tight timeline. I started not doing things like I normally do and started cutting corners on setup for clear etc. It bit me. Instead of taking the time to build a pivot to attach the backbox to, I threw together a temporary solution that I thought would be ok. After I was don't clearing the backbox, I was moving it out of the light so I could finish the lower cab and somehow it started to fall off. Of course I gotta catch it so it doesn't hit the floor. Luckily I only chipped a corner but as you can probably guess, I had all kinds of hand prints on the backbox in the wet clear. Needles to say, I was not a happy camper. I threw another layer of clear on it and waited to see the damage after it dried.

I was able to sand it today and most of the "prints" sanded out and it is all nice and smooth. The problem is that I must have had some dust on my gloves as there are a couple of places that has dust in the clear. It probably goes down to the paint so I don't want to sand that far. My plan is to airbrush some black on it and then I will clear the entire cabinet again after decals so it should be fine. Its on the back so I am not all that concerned. There a few places where the paint was sanded off an edge since I had to sand more aggressively than normal. Overall is could have been a lot worse.

I decided to take a step back from this project last week because of this. The timeline was taking some of the fun out of it. I am no longer trying to get it ready for Texas. I am going back to doing things like they should be done and when the project is finished, It will be finished.

The lower cabinet is sanded and ready for the graphics.
Dscf5610 (resized).jpg

Here is an example of an edge where the paint was removed. This should be easily touched up and when cleared, should blend right in.
Dscf5611 (resized).jpg

Here is the little chip that was glued back on. A little touch up and it should be good to go.
Dscf5612 (resized).jpg

Here are those two "finger prints" on the back. I will do a little airbrushing and then clear when finished.
Dscf5613 (resized).jpg

#204 3 years ago

damn, dude. I was hoping to play this at TPF too. I'm bringing 4 games this year.

#205 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

damn, dude. I was hoping to play this at TPF too. I'm bringing 4 games this year.

Yeah, I was really hoping to have it done but I want it done right and there just isn't enough time especially with the custom things I am going to build. Just finishing up all the stuff I did to BTTF and will also be bringing Fire and I am planning on bringing Congo. If I have enough room in the trailer I might throw another one in there.

#206 3 years ago

Got the graphics weeded out and ready.
Dscf5615 (resized).jpg

#208 3 years ago

You work on a project ling enough and you get to a point that you seem to work and work and it doesn't feel like your making much progress. Then you have a day where you really feel progress. Today was one of those days. I started putting the graphics on the cabinet today.

I previously filled the playfield mounting holes with silicone to protect them from water but I also put some Frisket over them to add another layer of protection since I will be putting on the vinyl wet. You don't want fluid to get into the exposed hole and cause swelling etc.
Dscf5617 (resized).jpg

Using the measurements I took before I sanded the cabinet, I placed tape on the cabinet to help line up the first graphic. The first one is the most important to get right since most of the rest will line up with the first graphic.
Dscf5616 (resized).jpg

Yellow ready to apply.
Dscf5618 (resized).jpg

Aligned with the marks.
Dscf5619 (resized).jpg

Finished.
Dscf5620 (resized).jpg

Marks for the white.
Dscf5624 (resized).jpg

Applied wet.
Dscf5625 (resized).jpg

White finished.
Dscf5626 (resized).jpg

I had to divide the red into two sections because my medium tac application tape was not wide enough to do both.

Trex wet.
Dscf5629 (resized).jpg

Here is the Trex dry and the red letter accents applied wet.
Dscf5633 (resized).jpg

Main side finished.
Dscf5634 (resized).jpg

First color to be put on the side is the main red color minus the red letter inserts. Here are the measurements for the red.
Dscf5621 (resized).jpg

Red wet.
Dscf5622 (resized).jpg

Red dry
Dscf5623 (resized).jpg

white wet.
Dscf5627 (resized).jpg

White dry
Dscf5628 (resized).jpg

I decided to cut the yellow into two sections. I put the bottom section on first.
Dscf5630 (resized).jpg

Top yellow
Dscf5631 (resized).jpg

Finally the red letter inserts.
Dscf5632 (resized).jpg

Here are both finished.
Dscf5635 (resized).jpg

I have had enough for one day.
I will let these cure and tackle the other sides next week when I get back from my trip.

#209 3 years ago

Truly awesome craftsmanship.

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I have had enough for one day.
I will let these cure and tackle the other sides next week when I get back from my trip.

Looks great!
And also looks like a PITA lining all that up LOL

#211 3 years ago

Slow moving but one of my favorite threads on Pinside.

#212 3 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Slow moving but one of my favorite threads on Pinside.

Thanks. Darn Job and new house getting in the way of my hobbies. Lol

#213 3 years ago

Got the other side done. Same process so no need to show it again.
Dscf5636 (resized).jpg

Then went on to the front of the main cab.

Left side marked for the yellow boxes.
Dscf5637 (resized).jpg
Dscf5639 (resized).jpg

Right side marked
Dscf5638 (resized).jpg
Dscf5640 (resized).jpg

Yellow finished
Dscf5641 (resized).jpg

Next did the white.
Dscf5642 (resized).jpg
Dscf5643 (resized).jpg

On the right side, I didn't have a good reference for the "FIRE!" text so I put the box on first.
Dscf5644 (resized).jpg
Dscf5645 (resized).jpg

Then added the red text accents and all is finished.
Dscf5646 (resized).jpg

I will let it sit for a week or so to let the adhesive really cure and then I will do a final clear to the cabinet.

#214 3 years ago

Great job! I am really enjoying your work. Looking forward to playing your BTTF and Fire again at TPF.

#215 3 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Great job! I am really enjoying your work. Looking forward to playing your BTTF and Fire again at TPF.

Thank you. BTTF has been improved and a few things added. I plan on bringing a Congo since this won't be finished. See you there.

#216 3 years ago

I got the backbox mount done. So no more backbox accidents. The main base is an extension of my pinball lift. It has a boat seat swivel with a piece of ply on it that is slightly smaller than the base of the backbox. The ply has blind nuts in it. Sit the box on and use the two pieces of wood and bolts to secure the box. I can now spin the box in any direction to have the best light to paint with.
Dscf5647 (resized).jpgDscf5648 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#217 3 years ago

Wow! Truly amazing.

#218 3 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I got the backbox mount done. So no more backbox accidents. The main base is an extension of my pinball lift. It has a boat seat swivel with a piece of ply on it that is slightly smaller than the base of the backbox. The ply has blind nuts in it. Sit the box on and use the two pieces of wood and bolts to secure the box. I can now spin the box in any direction to have the best light to paint with.

I'm so going to build one of those!

#219 3 years ago

Sorry for no updates. Been busy getting my machines ready for TPF. Hope to get back to work after I get back.

#220 3 years ago

Got the backbox cleared today.
Dscf5651 (resized).jpg

The main cab is ready to shoot tomorrow.
Dscf5652 (resized).jpg

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Sorry for no updates. Been busy getting my machines ready for TPF. Hope to get back to work after I get back.

What does your BTTF look like? Nicely restored?

#222 3 years ago

Yes. Restored. Here is a thread that documented my restoration of it. I will actually update it tomorrow with the changes I have made and things I have added to it since last year.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-to-the-future-restoration

#223 3 years ago

Main cabinet is cleared. Dscf5653 (resized).jpg

#224 3 years ago

Looking forward to seeing this next year at TPF. Looking great! You do amazing work. Good to meet you this year at TPF.

#225 3 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Looking forward to seeing this next year at TPF. Looking great! You do amazing work. Good to meet you this year at TPF.

Thanks. It was great meeting you at TPF and seeing your work on LW3. I am worn out but already looking forward to TPF 2018.

1 month later
#226 3 years ago

Sorry its been so long since an update. I have busy with a couple of big projects around the house since TPF and haven't had time to touch my JP. Since I am not trying to meet a deadline anymore, I am going to take the restoration in another direction and do a few more things than I had originally planned. Basically, I am going to turn it up a notch.

One of the things I am gong to do is make the cabinet a gloss finish. I got a lot of compliments on my BTTF cabinet so I decided to do the same thing to my JP. Of course it makes more work for me but who cares.

So the cabinet WAS done but now it is not. I was able to squeeze a little time in and get the cabinet sanded so I can shoot it again. This time I will shoot it flat like a playfield so it will take three sessions to get it finished. Depending on how the finish is, I may only have to do this once. If there is too much texture from the art then I will have to sand and shoot it again.

Dscf5683 (resized).jpg

I hope to be finished with the landscape/pool work in a couple of weeks so I can get back to work on this project. I am really looking forward to the rest of this restoration.

#227 3 years ago

Nice, looking forward you getting back to it.

#228 3 years ago

Waiting for the rain to quit so I can get back outside. But in the meantime I am messing around in the shop a little. The back of the backbox is just plain black so I started playing around with an idea. I know the three claw marks are the symbol from JP3 but I am just using them for what they are, claw marks.

Dscf5684 (resized).jpg

#229 3 years ago

You're onto something there. Personally, I would leave the sentence at the top out, do the claw marks on top of the warning silk screen, and maybe add another smaller claw mark. As if the game had been hit twice.

1 week later
#230 3 years ago

I love this thread. Can't wait to see what custom stuff you've got planned. Thanks for the details, I always learn a lot from your threads.

#231 3 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I love this thread. Can't wait to see what custom stuff you've got planned. Thanks for the details, I always learn a lot from your threads.

Thanks. I appreciate that. I really hope to finish this project soon and get back to work on JP.

#232 3 years ago

#233 3 years ago

What did you decide finally for the back box art?

#234 3 years ago

I haven't had time to revisit that issue since I posted that picture so I haven't made a decision yet.

#235 3 years ago

Then I suggest to stick with the claw marks without text. That's only me though

2 months later
#236 3 years ago

Holy Crap, I am back lol
Sorry for the delays. Its been a busy summer but hopefully all is calming down and I can get back to work. Got back to the playfield today.

First thing was to take care of Alan arm. It had a insert crack running through it.
Here is the crack, I had already put the Friskit down.
Dscf5686 (resized).jpgDscf5687 (resized).jpgDscf5690 (resized).jpg

I fixed the leaf that was part of the post hole that was filled and fixed. It is the sold green one in the first pic. The second pic shows the fixed outline and center black line.
Dscf5692 (resized).jpgDscf5694 (resized).jpg

Then I worked on some of the black outlines for the scoop holes. Black is about the only color that you can patch paint and get away with it as I described when I filed the dinosaur that had the extra post between the flippers. I figure I will have to spray this playfield 2 more times so I am going to attempt to just patch paint the lines. If I am not happy with the results after I clear, then I will paint the entire lines before the last clear. Since the area is so thin, I am not straying these. I will use Friskit and then lay a smoth line down with a brush.
Dscf5695 (resized).jpg

Paint with Friskit.
Dscf5696 (resized).jpg

Finished. When wiped with Naphtha, it all blends well so it should look good when cleared. If not, I can always redo it later.
Dscf5698 (resized).jpg

The other scoops were fixed using the same technique.
Dscf5703 (resized).jpg
Dscf5701 (resized).jpg

I also fixed the pointer arrow at the base of the orange area. The black line between the red and yellow should be fixed when I put the halftones on the shooter lane.

Dscf5702 (resized).jpg

#237 3 years ago

Wow. Very nice. I consider this artistry.

#238 3 years ago

Glad you are back at it buddy! I did catch up on you with my own resto.

#239 3 years ago

Did a little more work on the black insert rings in the pop bumper area.
Dscf5705 (resized).jpg

Then I experimented with paint color for the white tick marks on the colored insert rings. I cut a mask and did the ship insert first.
Dscf5707 (resized).jpgDscf5708 (resized).jpgDscf5709 (resized).jpg

The paint was close but just a tad darker than the original. But I was not happy with the level of detail with the marks. With such a small area being but on the mask, the corners were not perfect squares. Also as previously mentioned, it takes more paint to get good coverage with white so when pulling the mask off, the marks were just not clean enough for me. So I decided to go another route and try vinyl.

Here is the cut for the same insert.
Dscf5710 (resized).jpg

Here us the final product.
Dscf5711 (resized).jpg

I like the sharp look much better. The white is probably just a hair whiter than what is on there but when you put Naphtha on it, they look pretty close. I will use a variation of this for the final version. I ordered some thinner vinyl and will complete when I get it in.

#240 3 years ago

I just ordered the ColorDMD for JP. I can't wait to get this thing back together.

#241 3 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Did a little more work on the black insert rings in the pop bumper area.

Then I experimented with paint color for the white tick marks on the colored insert rings. I cut a mask and did the ship insert first.

The paint was close but just a tad darker than the original. But I was not happy with the level of detail with the marks. With such a small area being but on the mask, the corners were not perfect squares. Also as previously mentioned, it takes more paint to get good coverage with white so when pulling the mask off, the marks were just not clean enough for me. So I decided to go another route and try vinyl.
Here is the cut for the same insert.

Here us the final product.

I like the sharp look much better. The white is probably just a hair whiter than what is on there but when you put Naphtha on it, they look pretty close. I will use a variation of this for the final version. I ordered some thinner vinyl and will complete when I get it in.

I have zero idea what you did here. Did you change the color of the outline of the boat? Vinyl? What?

#242 3 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I have zero idea what you did here. Did you change the color of the outline of the boat? Vinyl? What?

It's a little harder to see in the pic because of the blue but I am talking about the little white marks that are on the colored part of the insert rings.

#243 3 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

It's a little harder to see in the pic because of the blue but I am talking about the little white marks that are on the colored part of the insert rings.

You did ALL THAT because of the color of the tiny little white marks on the boat insert?!?!

(can you please come over and work on my machines?)

#244 3 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

You did ALL THAT because of the color of the tiny little white marks on the boat insert?!?!
(can you please come over and work on my machines?)

I have made a few house calls but I'm not normally up in your area.

#245 3 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

Wow. Very nice. I consider this artistry.

I consider it OCD. Man I'd love to have the patients to make things perfect, but my OCD has ADD.

Props to you. This will be the best looking JP anywhere!

#246 3 years ago

Got the new vinyl in so I got to work on the white tick marks. I decided to edit my graphics and make the marks taller then they should be. This will allow the sides to be sharp lines. Then I will trim the top and bottom. This will give the marks very nice corners. I used flat vinyl so it has a little texture to it which should also help with clear adhesion. When I use gloss vinyl, I sand it before I clear.

Here is the first batch of marks.
Dscf5712 (resized).jpg

Here is the left set of targets with the marks applied.
Dscf5713 (resized).jpg

I used both a circle template and a straight edge to trim the marks.
Dscf5714 (resized).jpgDscf5715 (resized).jpg

Another set using the same technique
Dscf5716 (resized).jpgDscf5717 (resized).jpg

I had hoped to finish the marks tomorrow but I have to go out of town for 3 days so I hope to be able to finish all the marks on Friday.

#247 3 years ago

Looking awesome. You have a great eye for detail.

2 weeks later
#248 3 years ago

Got all of the white tick marks done except for the large helicopter up by the T-Rex. I need to repaint the black ring around it before I add the white marks. The picture is washed out due to the lights behind it and that its been sanded.

Dscf5718 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#249 3 years ago

One of the things that drives me crazy is reflections on the playfield glass. The biggest problems are the DMD and the backbox lighting. Some games are worse than others. I have seen the PDI/Stern glass at TPF and I just wasn't impressed. In the Jurassic park club thread I saw several post talking about how bad the backbox reflection is on JP. Some people even take some of the lights out to make it not as bright. That got me thinking about designing a mod that will shut the backbox off during game play but it will illuminate between balls and when the game is in attract mode. The flashers that are in the backbox are not affected and work normally during play.

I finally got some time tonight to work on it. Since I have a DE Star Wars, I decided to prototype it and install it in the SW to see how it works. I designed it to be plug and play so its easy to install. I fired it up and I love it. I have a bent plastic DMD guard so now during game play, there is nothing at all reflecting on the glass so I have an unobstructed view of the entire playfield. I will definitely be adding this to JP and will probably add it to all my games eventually. Of course each system (WPC, System 11, Stern) will all be a little different so slight changes will have to be made to each one.

#250 3 years ago

My Jurassic Park had terrible glare, DMD glare guard, kept the blinkers were they belong in the backglass, no LEDs in the backglass, lit the back of the playfield and it's glare free now. I dunno some of the DE are so bad for glare. Maybe it's the size of the head they seem bigger than most.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
There are 626 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside